We already had that round. :lmao:   

15 minutes ago, miss denise said:

Everyone ignoring my Top 100 stats. 😢

My decision won’t come until later. 

Oops, I thought I commented on that. But I did read it. love the stats. 😄 

On 2/22/2020 at 8:24 PM, Alex95 said:

UnREAL

91-Ka7ci+vL._RI_.jpg

UnREAL is pretty much the poster child of wasted potential in a tv show. This show had so much promise, a lot of ammunition to make something powerful, and then they completely dropped the ball. If you don't know what the show is about, it's a behind the scenes look at The Bachelor. The f*cked up sh*t that goes on in the world of reality show production. It was created by and worked on be people who used to work on the set of the The Bachelor. It's about how the producers manipulate the contestants and drive them to their breaking points. They used all this prior knowledge to create a feminist masterpiece. A takedown of the disgustingly manipulative and sexist reality show industry. Also women ran the show. Yes some of the most higher-up people were men, but it was women were the producers who were actively creating a sexist environment. It was completely fascinating watching how they balanced Rachel, the main character's, attempts at being a feminist while harming all these women she's producing. Rachel Goldberg and Quinn King actually had potential to be tv's next great anti-heroes I thought. Unfortunately, the show turned to sh*t.

The first season is a masterpiece for the most part. We meet, Rachel Goldberg, played flawlessly by Shiri Appleby. Before the show starts, she had a drunken meltdown on the set of the last season of "Everlasting" (the Bachelor-esque show she works on). She stole a car and screamed about how evil and fake everything is. The producers got her out of jail by forcing her to continue to work for free on the show. Rachel is the best at her job. She can get the good soundbites out of the girls, she can convince them to cause drama, and she gets them to make fools of themselves. All of this is controlled by the manipulative and conniving Quinn King, the executive producer of Everlasting, flawlessly played by Constance Zimmer (which earner her an Emmy nomination, and I feel deserved the win). While Rachel knows how to manipulate the girls on the show, Quinn knows how to manipulate Rachel. She pushes Rachel's buttons to get her to do her best work, which also involves committing unspeakable and despicable acts.

Zimmer shows such restraint and power in this scene. Everything about her physical performance is demanding the viewers attention, but she's not screaming and throwing a fit. She's just poking Rachel to create the damn show she wants. The entire season is a power struggle and that's what makes it so great. Quinn thinks she's in charge of the show. She wants drama and then a fairytale ending if it fits. Rachel wants to be free but also doesn't know where she belongs. In the first episode, she makes an alliance with Adam, the suitor, and convinces him to cut the girl who was typecast to be "the bitch" in the first episode. However, Quinn always gets what she wants. When Rachel falls for the suitor and thinks the two will run away from the show and their lives together, Quinn knows everything. Adam breaks Rachel's heart, so Quinn and Rachel work together to destroy him. They expose his two-timing to the frontrunner contestant and she leaves him at the altar, embarrassing him on national television. There's so many small stories of manipulation, battling for power, etc. throughout the season. It's both fun to watch, and powerful to see because it is a pretty accurate representation of the reality of reality television. Unfortunately, there's also a scene where a contestant kills herself and it's not done very well. Very Lifetime-esque. I was worried about starting a "Lifetime original show" and this storyline kinda confirmed my beliefs. But luckily it was just one storyline! Every show's allowed a bad storyline.

Sadly, one bad storyline turned into three bad seasons. In season two they get an African-American suitor and it gets messy. They try balancing 100 different storylines and do none of them well. They make us watch him get attacked by the police in one scene for some reason. There's a way to show police brutality without sensationalizing it. This Lifetime show doesn't know how to do that. From this point on in the show it just gets bad. Rachel and Quinn were once complex and just become unlikable. And kind of stupid...? The women are way too smart to fall for the bullsh*t they do. Some of the side characters who were likable and rootable in the first season become awful too. I guess the point of the show is that Everlasting brings everyone down and you can't stay above it. But there's not many shows that can successfully keep an audience interested if there's literally nobody to like. So the show does The Most for the next three seasons, I suffer through it, and I'm worse for it. But I'd HIGHLY recommend the first season. Especially if you're a fan of reality television (specifically The Bachelor). It's a really compelling and powerful story. Just a shame it fell off the rails.

Save Game of Thrones

Updated my UnREAL writeup. Nathan For You is next and then my bonus Crazy Ex-Girlfriend writeup (though that might come tomorrow).

Edited by Alex95

4 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

Updated my UnREAL writeup. Nathan For You is next and then my bonus Crazy Ex-Girlfriend writeup (though that might come tomorrow).

Great write-up, Alex! You summed up the show perfectly - really enjoyed the first season. 

• Like 1

On 3/2/2020 at 10:25 PM, Alex95 said:

Nathan For You

nathan.jpg

Nathan For You is up there as one of the most groundbreaking shows of the century. The comedy Nathan Fielder pulls off is absolutely genius and really has never been done in the way he does it. Yes hidden camera shows have existed before. People play characters up against real-life people and the audience sees how the real people react to characters around them. But Fielder's humor is better than everything Candid Camera or Jackass ever did. It's a slightly more intelligent humor I'd say. Still a lot of very childish antics, but he's still a businessman and the people he pretends to help are, or want to be, business people as well. The juxtaposition between the fact that he is putting them on projects to help their struggling businesses juxtaposed to him creating a poop-flavored yogurt is where the hilarity comes in. With something like Jackass you're just farting in a random person's face and they react in disgust and that's it. Nathan commits so earnestly to every endeavor he goes on. So if you don't know the show, I kinda already explained it, but Nathan Fielder is a comedian and "businessman". He goes around helping revitalize struggling businesses through wild and out there ideas. Most of the time they don't work, but sometimes they randomly do. Nathan is playing a character, but the people he interacts with are real people who don't completely understand what's going on. But it's never cruel and it does gain them some publicity! I won't go over every episode, but I genuinely believe every single episode is great. A few of his ideas include making poop-flavored yogurt for a yogurt shop, convincing haunted house visitors they have contracted an airborne disease in order to create the scariest haunted house experience ever, a maid service that finished in six minutes by sending 40 maids to your house, a liquor store that sells to underage kids (but you can't claim the alcohol until you are 21), and much, much more. Along the way, a running theme of Nathan's character he creates is that he's socially awkward and lonely. All these businesses he helps are part of his ultimate test to fight his loneliness and find friendship and love. I will focus on some of my favorite episodes of his now instead of going over them all.

In the second episode, Nathan visits a petting zoo that is struggling attracting customers. His plan is to create a viral video where a hero pig saves a drowning goat. He creates the most convoluted plan in order to stage this fake viral video. Because it's Nathan, he has to take it further than it ever needed to go. The project becomes huge and he forces everyone to sign nda's punishable by death :dead:. His stunt works and Nathan goes viral for the first time. People believe this is an actual video of a pig rescuing a goat. They, of course, look foolish when the episode airs and his plan is exposed. This isn't my favorite storyline he's ever done, but it's the first time he went viral so I felt it's important to include.

The fourth episode features one of my favorite storylines, the gas station rebate. I think my favorite part of the show is the real-life people Nathan meets along the way. Though Nathan and his schemes are hilarious, it's the human aspect of the show I'm drawn to. So, Nathan creates a gas station that has the cheapest gas ever. The catch is that it comes with a rebate, you must drop off in person at the top of a mountain. This will encourage people to go to the gas station, but no one has time to climb a mountain and claim a rebate...or so he thought. A few determined people who wanted the cheap gas decided to throw their whole day away to climb a mountain and claim the rebate. Once they climb the mountain, it's not done yet. It turns into a scavenger hunt and an overnight adventure. Many quit along the way, but the strangers who last the whole time bond during this bizarre experience. They open up to each other and tell each other their stories. They laugh together, they cry together. It's pretty crazy what they all gain from the experience. Nathan gets his way and no one claims the rebate when he convinces them the most important part of the adventure was the friends they made along the way :dead:. The episode is one of the funniest episodes, and oddly beautiful.

The second season has Nathan's biggest and most viral stunt ever. Nathan helps a struggling coffee shop by turning it into a parody of Starbucks and calling it "Dumb Starbucks". Thanks to parody law, he is allowed to do this. He has to jump through many hoops to get it done though. He has to establish the coffee shop's history as parody artists. So Nathan Fielder decides to become a parody artist and goes to an open-mic night and opens a parody art gallery. Now that he is established, Dumb Starbucks is a go. Once again, Nathan goes viral, proving that the first time was not a fluke. People flock from far and wide to visit the "Dumb Starbucks", clueless as to what it is. Some think it is a project by Banksy. Allegedly, the LA Department of Health shuts the Dumb Starbucks down. But Nathan has accomplished his goal of making it bigger than ever.

The second season also has my personal favorite episode, the ghost realtor. This is one of the few times where the person he's helping took his advice and continued to use it long after the show aired. The basic concept is that he convinced a realtor to become the only realtor in America that can guarantee there are no ghosts in any of her houses. The episode isn't all that meaningful and deep, but it is laugh out loud hilarious the entire time. More than any other episode in my opinion. You just have to watch it. He brings in psychics and exorcisms and it's just insane. The realtor, Sue, might be my favorite side character on the show ever. Like I said, just watch it.

The premiere of season three is one of Nathan's more wild ideas. In this episode he is helping a small electronics store. He decides to mark down the Electronic Stores prices ridiculously low, but makes the products extremely difficult to get (I'll give you a hint, it involves fighting an alligator). He'd then use his low prices to get ridiculously low prices on products at Best Buy using the price match plan. He'll then bring those products to his store and mark them up from the prices he used when buying from Best Buy, but still lower than every other store. This episode ensues in a legal battle between Nathan Fielder and Best Buy. He starts caring more about taking down Best Buy than helping the electronics store. It also rewards the loyal viewer who understands Nathan's character. His need for love and friendship is at the forefront of his internal struggle this episode. The episode ends with Nathan attempting to set the shop-keeper on a date after Nathan fails at finding love. I know it seems far-fetched from what the original theme of the episode is, but it actually flows perfectly. And that's what makes the episode genius. Everything comes together flawlessly while maintaining its heart and humor.

Anyways, there's not a single bad episode in the bunch. It's on Hulu I believe and I'd just recommend bingewatching the whole series. It's a pretty easy watch that doesn't demand your full attention (though when you start watching I don't know how you'd be able to look away). The humor is very subversive but still relatable. It's a perfect mix of reality and fiction. Unfortunately the show did end after four seasons. Nathan was becoming a bit too big and the show was starting to become well-known. The key to this show is Nathan's anonymity. The people he's helping not knowing who he is is most important in maintaining the deception. I love the show and I'm glad with how far I could bring it. Many fans consider it one of the best of the decade, as I do myself, so I wish I could have got it higher. But I'm still happy with its placement and I'm glad I got to finally give it the writeup it deserves.

Save BoJack Horseman

Finished my Nathan For You writeup. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend will come tomorrow or another time.

Edited by Alex95

2 hours ago, 1234567890 said:

BoJack is Netflix too. :dead: Somebody get this man a subscription.

YESS please. 😢:dead: 

3 hours ago, 1234567890 said:

Dead To Me is a Netflix show too. :dead: #DamnWally

But LOL honestly, if I had Netflix, it would NOT have been possible for me to do 28 nominations at this stage of the game - as I'm sure I would like a number of these shows. :lmao: 

42 minutes ago, aliasocfan said:

My top favorites managed to escape being cut 

Happy Sasha Banks GIF by WWE

But every other show I like naturally got cut... 

Sasha Banks Win GIF by WWE

It's ok Wally. I still love you

:dead: 

Congrats on your top favorites surviving! :haha: Gahh yeah it seems my round went better for you than me on your round. On your round I lost a mix of my very top favorites and had some of my top faves saved alongside having minor faves saved and lost too. 😢:haha:  

Love you too! And there will be one game where we will hopefully agree more often. It's just not  TV or Movies. :lmao:  

The Killing

HsFqm5i.jpg?1

I waited until the end to make my cut because I had no preference, and then I've been busy today, so sorry this this took awhile to get posted. I literally searched 10 stores for household paper products and they are all wiped out. Somebody send help. It is truly the apocalypse. cold.gif.d9372ea892393bc7f0a17e6b338aca7a.gifAnyway, I don't have safety requests for either of these shows, and didn't see any campaigning, so nobody should be bothered by this decision, I hope.  :unsure:  If so, let Rotten Tomatoes know, which has this show at 69% and Homecoming at 98%.  :teeheewave: Although, I see IMDb gives Homecoming 7.5/10 and The Killing 8.2/10, so who knows.  I do think Homecoming may appeal to me more and sounds interesting, so we'll go with that. ^_^  I also remember saving that show for people in the past before, so it may be appreciated again.

The Killing is a crime series that premiered in 2011 on AMC. It is based on the popular Danish show, Forbrydelsen (The Crime), and was produced by Fox Television Studios. The story is set in Seattle ( ❤️ ) and follows murder investigations by homicide detectives, Sarah Linden and Stephen Holder. Sarah is a detective with the Seattle Police Department, who mentors Detective Stephen. Their different investigative styles tend to clash, but they manage to work together to find justice for their cases.  It is considered a "character-driven detective procedural" that explores a murder mystery throughout each season.  

When The Killing premiered, it was AMC's second-highest original series premiere after The Walking Dead. It was well received, with reviewers and fans noting comparisons to Twin Peaks. It was originally cancelled following the second season, but then renewed for a third after Fox and Netflix renegotiated. It was then "cancelled" by AMC again following the third season, only for Netflix to pull another fast one and actually renew it for a fourth season. Wow, for a show called The Killing, this show was not going to out that easy. :dead:  The fourth and final season aired on Netflix and was six episodes long (the other three seasons were 12 or 13).  Hopefully it had a satisfying conclusion for the fans, and at least someone was willing to fight for it to get that chance with those final episodes.

Saving: Homecoming

Dc4uyIh.gif

CYCLE 8
0PliuDl.gif

After a bloodbath cycle that eliminated 210 television shows, some of you rankers should be happy to know that you'll be able to protect your favorite show for the duration of this entire cycle. The most popular shows will remain in the game whereas the least popular will be eliminated. Here's how it will work:

The rules are simple. At the beginning of each round, one ranker will nominate 17 shows for elimination. The other fourteen rankers will each pick one show to save from elimination at a first come, first serve basis. The three shows not chosen to be saved will be eliminated from the game.

Nominators have 24 hours to post their nominations. However, RANKERS HAVE A 15 HOUR DEADLINE TO POST THEIR SAVES! Since you all won't have to do write-ups when posting your decisions, the time limit is shorter to help make the cycle go by faster. If you miss the deadline without letting me know why you won't be able to make a decision within the time limit, then a randomizer will decide the rest of the results. In addition, a new round can start immediately after one round ends. There's no need to wait for the write-ups, but I do hope nominators will post write-ups as soon as possible.

No shows have immunity. In addition, shows are allowed to be nominated in back-to-back rounds for the duration of the rankdown. So theoretically, there could be some television shows that are nominated in every round of this cycle. The nominator is responsible for the write-ups of the eliminated shows, but other rankers can step in and volunteer to do write-ups if they wish.

NOMINATION ORDER

SD8Yuhu.png

The randomizer decided that Tom is nominating first. Then it'll be Denise's turn, then Alex's turn, and so on and so forth until Elliott closes out the cycle. 

By the end of this cycle, 45 shows will be eliminated and we will be down to our Top 50.

If you have any questions, then let me know.

Good luck to your favorites!

3 minutes ago, miss denise said:

We have to do three write-ups at a time. 😮 

Unless someone else wants to volunteer to help out. :yes:

But these three write-ups will be the only ones you all will have to do for the entire cycle. 

6 minutes ago, miss denise said:

We have to do three write-ups at a time. 😮 

I thought of that and was like.... eeeks. :dead: Although at least we only have to do 3 write-ups rather than 14 write-ups on this cycle. :haha: 

I feel really bad for people like Elliott, who would have more of that pressure on him to do 3 write-ups in a short amount of time in order to get to the next round. :haha: But yeah people volunteering to do write-ups, help out too!

My original idea was that you all would only have to do two write-ups at this stage of the game, but I did away with the public nominations round since there aren't that many non-rankers following this game. So instead of two shows getting eliminated each round, I upped it to three. 

9 minutes ago, Steven_ said:

I'm also willing to extend the 15 hour deadline to 24 hours if there's any objection, but I figured it'd be enough time to choose a show to save from the list of nominations each round.

7 minutes ago, Steven_ said:

My original idea was that you all would only have to do two write-ups at this stage of the game, but I did away with the public nominations round since there aren't that many non-rankers following this game. So instead of two shows getting eliminated each round, I upped it to three. 

This is all fine with me! :yes: