The American Politics Thread!

Rate this topic

istersay

1 hour ago, RTV said:

The article states the girl was en route to Indiana for the abortion procedure.

Stiffer penalties for rape and other violent crimes would prevent some of these tragedies from occurring. 

She was en route to Indiana because abortion in most cases outside of six weeks (including for rape) is now prohibited in Ohio (and likely soon in Indiana). Soon, we will have entire swaths of the country where women and girls will have essentially no access to reproductive care (and when Republicans eventually take control of the Executive branch, it's entirely possible that reproductive care could be banned federally). Then girls like the one in this situation will have no recourse, and many will suffer needlessly and die preventable deaths.

Stiffer penalties for rape would likely have no real effect. Violent crimes happen every hour of every day despite stiff penalties already existing. 

Edited by rdhaley96
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rdhaley96 said:

She was en route to Indiana because abortion in most cases outside of six weeks (including for rape) is now prohibited in Ohio (and likely soon in Indiana). Soon, we will have entire swaths of the country where women and girls will have essentially no access to reproductive care (and when Republicans eventually take control of the Executive branch, it's entirely possible that reproductive care could be banned federally). Then girls like the one in this situation will have no recourse, and many will suffer needlessly and die preventable deaths.

Stiffer penalties for rape would likely have no real effect. Violent crimes happen every hour of every day despite stiff penalties already existing. 

Yes, I read the story. The girl was reportedly six weeks and three days along. So she would've been able to get the abortion in Ohio if she had sought help a few days earlier.

We will have to see what happens regarding abortion laws.

The punishment for rape differs from state to state. You might be right, but I think tougher sentences would deter some criminals. 

Edited by RTV

39 minutes ago, RTV said:

Yes, I read the story. The girl was reportedly six weeks and three days along. So she would've been able to get the abortion in Ohio if she had sought help a few days earlier.

We will have to see what happens regarding abortion laws.

The punishment for rape differs from state to state. You might be right, but I think tougher sentences would deter some criminals. 

Yeah, if only a ten year-old rape victim sought help earlier. I hope you don't genuinely believe it's just for a state to deny reproductive care to an elementary schooler on those grounds. 

Regarding your last argument, you're trying to attack the problem of rape in a reactive way rather than a proactive one. If we as a country improve our education (including sex education) and social safety nets, rates of violent crime would go down on their own. But Republicans are the ones who oppose doing anything substantive to better our situation in those areas, and often times, they actively make efforts to peck away at these things.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bswanson said:

thing is though most americans polled supprot some form of roe, a 15  week ban most supprot but not a total ban, if it werent for inflation and gas prices republcisn may have been in trouble at midterms, but that of course is at the top of peoples priotries. 

Abortion policy has never been a top priority for voters. I’m not suggesting it isn’t important, but there are always issues that carry more weight with a majority of voters. We’ve known it was going to be overturned for a couple months now, so I’m not sure why anyone expected it to be different when it became official. Some politicians will use it to raise money. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rdhaley96 said:

Yeah, if only a ten year-old rape victim sought help earlier. I hope you don't genuinely believe it's just for a state to deny reproductive care to an elementary schooler on those grounds. 

Regarding your last argument, you're trying to attack the problem of rape in a reactive way rather than a proactive one. If we as a country improve our education (including sex education) and social safety nets, rates of violent crime would go down on their own. But Republicans are the ones who oppose doing anything substantive to better our situation in those areas, and often times, they actively make efforts to peck away at these things.

Your original post suggested that a 10-year-old rape victim was being denied an abortion. I merely pointed out that the story said the girl was already on her way to a neighboring state to terminate the pregnancy, so she is presumably not facing childbirth now. Travel to an Indiana abortion center isn't necessary if an Ohio abortion provider is seen prior to the six-week mark.

Regardless, the Supreme Court decision didn't make abortion illegal. Abortion procedures continue to be performed in several states.

I agree that proactive measures are another way to reduce crime.

2 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

Abortion policy has never been a top priority for voters. I’m not suggesting it isn’t important, but there are always issues that carry more weight with a majority of voters. We’ve known it was going to be overturned for a couple months now, so I’m not sure why anyone expected it to be different when it became official. Some politicians will use it to raise money. 

https://apnews.com/article/abortion-us-supreme-court-elections-campaigns-8a6e3db27082cc212e9e5183b25e7c32

7 minutes ago, RTV said:

Your original post suggested that a 10-year-old rape victim was being denied an abortion. I merely pointed out that the story said the girl was already on her way to a neighboring state to terminate the pregnancy, so she is presumably not facing childbirth now. Travel to an Indiana abortion center isn't necessary if an Ohio abortion provider is seen prior to the six-week mark.

Regardless, the Supreme Court decision didn't make abortion illegal. Abortion procedures continue to be performed in several states.

I agree that proactive measures are another way to reduce crime.

It wasn't a suggestion; she was quite literally denied an abortion in Ohio. Denying a 10 year-old an abortion at any point during her pregnancy is deplorable. It shouldn't matter what stage of pregnancy she's in.

Moreover, regarding your state argument, if Republican lawmakers have their way, abortion could very well become outlawed nationwide. And as we've seen in several states, outlawed with no exception for rape and/or incest. If you vote Republican with all this in mind, you tacit support 10 year-old rape victims being denied reproductive care. I don't understand how anyone except the most morally bankrupt people could support Republicans when this is the agenda they're pushing forward.

Edited by rdhaley96
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, rdhaley96 said:

It wasn't a suggestion; she was quite literally denied an abortion in Ohio. Denying a 10 year-old an abortion at any point during her pregnancy is deplorable. It shouldn't matter what stage of pregnancy she's in.

Moreover, regarding your state argument, if Republican lawmakers have their way, abortion could very well become outlawed nationwide. And as we've seen in several states, outlawed with no exception for rape and/or incest. If you vote Republican with all this in mind, you tacit support 10 year-old rape victims being denied reproductive care. I don't understand how anyone except the most morally bankrupt people could support Republicans when this is the agenda they're pushing forward.

Abortion is a very complicated and emotional topic. However, the difficult decision to terminate a pregnancy involves the lives of at least two human beings: the mother and her completely defenseless unborn baby or babies.

I doubt many people vote Democratic or Republican based on a single issue. Besides, there are pro-choice and pro-life supporters in both political parties.

18 minutes ago, RTV said:

Abortion is a very complicated and emotional topic. However, the difficult decision to terminate a pregnancy involves the lives of at least two human beings: the mother and her completely defenseless unborn baby or babies.

I doubt many people vote Democratic or Republican based on a single issue. Besides, there are pro-choice and pro-life supporters in both political parties.

I can understand why people would want to advocate for the unborn; I was in that headspace myself when I was younger. With that said, when fetal consciousness doesn't develop until well into the second trimester (around 6 months), it doesn't make sense to outlaw abortion before that point for a myriad of reasons. Even after that point, late-term abortions often happen in the event of fetal abnormalities or risks to the mother's health, so in those cases, the mother should absolutely take precedence. 

Ultimately, voting is an endorsement. When you vote, you signal approval for what a person or party stands for. When Republicans are stripping people's rights left and right, voting for them is a tacit endorsement of their behavior, which from my perspective reflects poorly on the voter. Low-information voters, I can understand, which is why education is so important. But for those who are informed, choosing to support regressive politicians and their platforms indicates to me that they're probably not a very good person.

Edited by rdhaley96

online survey conducted June 28-29

https://harvardharrispoll.com/key-results-june

priorities - page 16: I'm surprised defense is this low
top concerns - page 17: abortion rights is greatest concern after inflation
Congressional race - page 19: 95% of Democrats would vote Democrat; 93% of Republicans would vote Republican; 86% of Black or AA would vote Democrat; 63% of Hispanic would vote Democrat; 61% of 18-34 would vote Democrat
GOP primary - page 21: Trump 56% DeSantis 16% (36% if Trump doesn't run); Pence is ahead of everyone else
Democratic primary - page 22: Biden 30% Harris 18% (25% if Biden doesn't run); Newsom is not a named choice
should Trump run - page 25: 61% no
Roe decision - page 44: 36% more likely to vote D; 36% more likely to vote R; 29% no effect

Edited by RTV

24 minutes ago, rdhaley96 said:

When Republicans are stripping people's rights left and right, voting for them is a tacit endorsement of their behavior, which from my perspective reflects poorly on the voter. 

Some might argue that Democrats have also stripped people of rights. Unfortunately, no political party is perfect. 🙁

I hope voters become better informed prior to marking their ballots and take into consideration each candidate's actions, background, and views on all issues.

Edited by RTV

3 minutes ago, RTV said:

Some might argue that Democrats have also stripped people of rights. Unfortunately, no political party is perfect. 🙁

I hope voters become better informed prior to marking their ballots and take into consideration each candidate's actions, background, and views on all issues.

True, no party is perfect. The Democratic party in America kinda sucks, mostly because they don't have enough fight in them and don't appear to want to actually make things better for Americans. Still by far the better choice compared to Republicans, who are actively making things worse, but it's a shame we don't have a true Left party in America that's willing to fight for people.

I agree with you on that. 👍

https://apnews.com/article/police-shootings-texas-education-government-and-politics-61ce193de8e0b4a87211cdb9343224a2

After 18-year-old Salvador Ramos entered Robb Elementary School, officers reportedly waited in the hallway for 77 minutes while two girls inside the classrooms called 911 begging for help and at least two children bled out from wounds that were treatable.

When Chief Pete Arredondo arrived on the scene, he forgot his radio. Then he tried in vain to find a master key to the doors of the classrooms from a safe distance. Arredondo said he spent over an hour in the hallway at an access location away from the gunman trying dozens of keys from a custodian, rather than trying any keys for individual rooms where the shooter or children might be. Arredondo has said he instructed his officers to stay away from the classroom doors to avoid getting hurt by gunfire, and to wait for tactical gear, a sniper, and more keys to try before taking action.

Christina Mitchell Busbee, the Uvalde County district attorney investigating the May 24 massacre that killed two teachers and 19 students, revealed Friday that she has been meeting with the families of victims to update them on the investigation by Texas Rangers, Texas Department of Public Safety, and the FBI. During a special city council meeting Thursday evening, Uvalde Mayor Don McLaughlin showed a letter from Busbee, explaining that the DA formally instructed city officials that "any release of records to that incident at this time would interfere with said ongoing investigation."

Edited by RTV

telephone survey of Maryland voters conducted June 15-19

July 19 primary election

Democratic gubernatorial primary:

Franchot 16% Moore 14% Perez 14% are the only candidates with double-digit support

undecided 35%

Republican gubernatorial primary:

Cox (endorsed by Trump) 25%

Schulz (endorsed by Gov. Hogan) 22%

undecided 44%

"Given the political demographics of the state, Republican candidates must earn around a quarter of Democratic votes to win statewide office."

Democrats were asked if they would vote for either Republican candidate in November

would not consider Cox 84%

would not consider Schulz 49%

Top concerns among Democrats:

inflation 72%

environment/climate change 71%

crime 69%

cost of gas 69%

lack of affordable housing 69%

Top concerns among Republicans:

cost of gas 90%

inflation 90%

crime 83%

quality of K-12 public schools 62%

state taxes 61%

Abortion:

legal under any circumstances - Democrats 60% Republicans 18%

legal only under certain circumstances - Democrats 28% Republicans 57%

illegal in all circumstances - Democrats 5% Republicans 18%

consider a candidate's position on abortion as one of many important factors

Democrats 44% Republicans 45%

only vote for candidates who share my views on abortion

Democrats 30% Republicans 16%

Politicians:

Biden

Democrats - favorable 71% unfavorable 26%

Republicans - favorable 9% unfavorable 91%

Trump

Democrats - favorable 10% unfavorable 88%

Republicans - favorable 78% unfavorable 20%

Republicans were asked if Trump should lead the GOP

Trump should lead the party 48%

Trump was a good president, but it's time for new leadership 35%

Trump was a bad president, and it's time to move on 13%

Gov. Larry Hogan

Republicans were asked if they would consider voting for Hogan for president in 2024

yes 39%

no 45%

it depends 11%

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/22070762-goucher-college-poll-june-2022-part-1

the states that are outlawing abortion though should at least allow for rape or incest some do but some dont cause what if the woman cant care for the baby. the go to a state that allows it is flawed cause FL for example has no oexcetpion but is also boarded by red states which also may have no exception and the mother may not be able to get to a state that does allow it. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bswanson said:

the states that are outlawing abortion though should at least allow for rape or incest some do but some dont cause what if the woman cant care for the baby. the go to a state that allows it is flawed cause FL for example has no oexcetpion but is also boarded by red states which also may have no exception and the mother may not be able to get to a state that does allow it. 

Traveling to obtain an abortion procedure happened before Roe v Wade. When the Supreme Court overturned the 1973 ruling last month, Justice Brett Kavanaugh wrote in a concurring opinion that—in his view "based on the constitutional right to interstate travel"—states outlawing abortion couldn't bar a resident from traveling to another state to terminate a pregnancy.

Some health insurance plans cover abortion, and a few companies have already said they will offer abortion travel benefits for employees. Groups were providing financial assistance for abortions before June 24. For example, the AbortionFunds.org website states: "The National Network of Abortion Funds is here to connect you with organizations that can support your financial and logistical needs as you arrange for your abortion." Planned Parenthood says: "Abortion funds may also be able to help you pay for your abortion. Abortion funds may also offer help with transportation, lodging, childcare, and other resources you may need to access abortion."

Of course, abortion isn't the only available option. Couples are waiting to become loving adoptive parents, and a baby can be placed for adoption at any stage of pregnancy or even after childbirth.

https://consideringadoption.com

5 hours ago, RTV said:

Newsom reportedly gave CNN an exclusive first look at his Florida political ad.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/03/politics/gavin-newsom-ron-desantis-ad-2024/index.html

He’s trying to get people to move from Florida to California. 😂

The actual numbers are likely even worse for California, since this data is now a year old. I wonder if this includes the 200K Californians who’ve moved to Mexico? 

0be7fpS.png

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 1

https://dailycaller.com/2022/07/03/obtained-text-message-cassidy-hutchinson-called-january-6-committee-bs-before-testifying

Hutchinson seems to be referring to having to deal with a subpoena, not to the committee.

A tweet in the article mentions that during her testimony, Hutchinson reported information she received from other people. Hearsay is usually disallowed as evidence in court.

She also claimed to write a letter that Eric Herschmann has since said he wrote.

https://thepalmierireport.com/trump-responds-to-sham-jan-6th-panel-witness-fake-story-sick-and-fraudulent

This article includes Trump's responses to Hutchinson's claims, a photo of Trump in an SUV after the rally—not The Beast, and a diagram of the presidential limousine.

https://www.mikehuckabee.com/latest-news?id=46D262BD-3075-486F-9F50-FAE75B451A8D

Huckabee's 06/30/22 piece about Hutchinson's testimony and the January 6 hearings.

Edited by RTV