The American Politics Thread!

Rate this topic

istersay

A bit shift in topic: Florida Governor Ron DeSantis announced that he already signed the papers to run for a second term for Governor. Does this destroy the chance that he will run for President in 2024? I know a lot of people would want him to run for President.

Edited by Gmm99
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gmm99 said:

A bit shift in topic: Florida Governor Ron DeSantis announced that he already signed the papers to run for a second term for Governor. Does this destroy the chance that he will run for President in 2024? I know a lot of people would want him to run for President.

Who knows whether he’ll run in 2024, but the fact that he’s running for re-election in Florida doesn’t have any bearing on that, IMO. It would be a really bad idea to run for President while he’s trying to get re-elected, or to even talk about 2024. He’s handling it exactly as he should. People run for higher office in the middle of their terms all the time. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Who knows whether he’ll run in 2024, but the fact that he’s running for re-election in Florida doesn’t have any bearing on that, IMO. It would be a really bad idea to run for President while he’s trying to get re-elected, or to even talk about 2024. He’s handling it exactly as he should. People run for higher office in the middle of their terms all the time. 

I see. Yeah I'm not that familiar with the whole campaign process.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gmm99 said:

I see. Yeah I'm not that familiar with the whole campaign process.

On the other hand, he’s been talking about running for President since he was playing in Little League. I stumbled across this a while back. It’s an interesting read. Those who have known him since that time aren’t surprised about where he’s at.  

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/rays/2020/03/10/the-ron-desantis-double-play-a-star-ballplayer-and-a-future-politician/

On 12/27/2021 at 4:24 PM, TeamAudra said:

Now that Biden admitted there's no federal solutions, governors, senators and other political leaders should call on Biden to remove all federal vaccine mandates. From Gov Noem (SD) and Sen. Cotton (AR) -- 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, season1 said:

Now that Biden admitted there's no federal solutions, governors, senators and other political leaders should call on Biden to remove all federal vaccine mandates. From Gov Noem (SD) and Sen. Cotton (AR) -- 

I’m guessing he wasn’t supposed to say that.

Back to DeSantis (and Florida's government), I stumbled upon something very contradictory at the end of page 38 and the beginning of page 39 in SB 2006. 

https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2021/2006/BillText/er/PDF

I have no clue if DeSantis read the entire bill because it is 42 pages long in addition with the strikethroughs...

Edited by Gmm99

44 minutes ago, Gmm99 said:

Back to DeSantis (and Florida's government), I stumbled upon something very contradictory at the end of page 38 and the beginning of page 39 in SB 2006. 

https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2021/2006/BillText/er/PDF

I have no clue if DeSantis read the entire bill because it is 42 pages long in addition with the strikethroughs...

I’m not sure what it is, and I’m definitely not going to read the entire document. I’m pretty sure they’re not doing that. LOL  He’ll probably be attacked for it by someone, but it’s too nuanced to have any effect, especially given how publicized his fight against any kind of mandates has been. I’ve seen this mentioned on Twitter a couple of times. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeamAudra said:

I’m not sure what it is, and I’m definitely not going to read the entire document. I’m pretty sure they’re not doing that. LOL  He’ll probably be attacked for it by someone, but it’s too nuanced to have any effect, especially given how publicized his fight against any kind of mandates has been. I’ve seen this mentioned on Twitter a couple of times. 

SB 2006 is the bill that prohibits any form of lockdowns. In addition, it doesn't allow any businesses, or the local /state government to run a vaccination passport system. I've seen that particular page mentioned more recently in light of Trump's comments on the vaccines...However, I doubt that section is being enforced and if it is, Florida citizens are being quiet on it. (Correct me if I'm wrong).

Here is the section for the others who are in this thread though:

"Individuals who are unable or unwilling to be examined, tested, vaccinated, or treated for reasons of health, religion, or conscience may be subjected to isolation or quarantine."

"b.  If the individual poses a danger to the public health, the State Health Officer may subject the individual to isolation or quarantine. If there is no practical method to isolate or quarantine the individual, the State Health Officer may use any means necessary to vaccinate or treat the individual."

Edited by Gmm99
  • Like 1

^ I saw some criticisms of DeSantis on several alt sites months ago when he signed that bill because of the provisions on quarantine and forced vaccination. DeSantis' administration probably won't enforce that part, but a despotic governor and administration could use the provision to isolate or force vaccinate individuals based on their definition of "danger to public health." For example, non-vaccinated individuals could be forced to get the vaccine "by any means necessary" (including gun to the head?) if the Dept of Health decides all non-vaccinated people are considered "danger to public health".

According to that bill, vaccine mandates are prohibited :thumbs: but forced quarantine and vaccination by DOH are okay. :thumbsdown:

To me, it seems they want to have it both ways -- prohibit vaccine mandates (no business or govt can require vaccination for entry, buying, selling and other transactions) yet leave an option for the government to implement forced vaccination and quarantine if one "poses danger to public health."

For some conservatives, it's a poison pill in the bill and could result in a veto. But then, if DeSantis vetoed the bill, they would criticize him for vetoing the bill that bans vaccine mandate, which is a big negative for someone with presidential ambitions. When the bill was signed, he got to take the credit for banning vaccine mandates, and only few people actually read the rest of the bill and raised questions about it.

Edited by season1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, season1 said:

^ I saw some criticisms of DeSantis on several alt sites months ago when he signed that bill because of the provisions on quarantine and forced vaccination. DeSantis' administration probably won't enforce that part, but a despotic governor and administration could use the provision to isolate or force vaccinate individuals based on their definition of "danger to public health." For example, non-vaccinated individuals could be forced to get the vaccine "by any means necessary" (including gun to the head?) if the Dept of Health decides all non-vaccinated people are considered "danger to public health".

According to that bill, vaccine mandates are prohibited :thumbs: but forced quarantine and vaccination by DOH are okay. :thumbsdown:

To me, it seems they want to have it both ways -- prohibit vaccine mandates (no business or govt can require vaccination for entry, buying, selling and other transactions) yet leave an option for the government to implement forced vaccination and quarantine if one "poses danger to public health."

For some conservatives, it's a poison pill in the bill and could result in a veto. But then, if DeSantis vetoed the bill, they would criticize him for vetoing the bill that bans vaccine mandate, which is a big negative for someone with presidential ambitions. When the bill was signed, he got to take the credit for banning vaccine mandates, and only few people actually read the rest of the bill and raised questions about it.

Lets put it this way. If someone says they’re not supporting DeSantis because of this, they probably weren’t going to support him anyway, and this isn’t the actual reason. I would venture to guess it would be Trump supporters (his cult). 

Edited by TeamAudra

5 hours ago, Gmm99 said:

SB 2006 is the bill that prohibits any form of lockdowns. In addition, it doesn't allow any businesses, or the local /state government to run a vaccination passport system. I've seen that particular page mentioned more recently in light of Trump's comments on the vaccines...However, I doubt that section is being enforced and if it is, Florida citizens are being quiet on it. (Correct me if I'm wrong).

Here is the section for the others who are in this thread though:

"Individuals who are unable or unwilling to be examined, tested, vaccinated, or treated for reasons of health, religion, or conscience may be subjected to isolation or quarantine."

"b.  If the individual poses a danger to the public health, the State Health Officer may subject the individual to isolation or quarantine. If there is no practical method to isolate or quarantine the individual, the State Health Officer may use any means necessary to vaccinate or treat the individual."

I know, I read it. Perhaps someone will ask him some day, and you’ll get an answer. Are you also going to read every page of every bill Trump signed?   :haha:

4 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

I know, I read it. Perhaps someone will ask him some day, and you’ll get an answer. Are you also going to read every page of every bill Trump signed?   :haha:

Nope. And even if I did, I would probably forget the majority of it LOL

(Why do a lot of bills these days have to be that lengthy?)

Edited by Gmm99

8 hours ago, season1 said:

It is definitely a notable contradiction and a concerning one. But as you said, I don't think DeSantis "will" enforce that part. If he did (there's just as much of a chance that he won't), Florida's citizens are staying silent because I haven't heard or read any stories coming out of it. It's been over half a year since that bill was signed.

Edited by Gmm99
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gmm99 said:

Nope. And even if I did, I would probably forget the majority of it LOL

(Why do a lot of bills these days have to be that lengthy?)

Exactly. Do I like that paragraph? Nope. There’s bound to be stuff in every bill that I don’t like or agree with. This is a bill specifically to deal vaccine passports and lockdowns. That was the priority. There’s no need for that to be in there, but some state Senators obviously felt it needed to be to get their support. Nobody in their right mind is going to enforce that. The federal government also has lots of things they can do with their “emergency powers.” Trump even hinted that he could do some of those things. Fortunately, he ultimately didn’t. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

Lets put it this way. If someone says they’re not supporting DeSantis because of this, they probably weren’t going to support him anyway, and this isn’t the actual reason. I would venture to guess it would be Trump supporters (his cult). 

Actually, the people I saw (on other sites) who raised questions about this particular bill are also critical of Trump on the vaccine and other issues. They gave kudos to DeSantis on his handling of covid and no mask mandates. Many are supporters of BOTH Trump and DeSantis.

BTW for a "cult", Trump supporters are also accused to be anti-vax/anti-mandate, which is opposite of Trump's advocacy of the vaccine. I guess they don't know how to behave like a cult.

Edited by season1

10 minutes ago, season1 said:

Actually, the people I saw (on other sites) who raised questions about this particular bill are also critical of Trump on the vaccine and other issues. They gave kudos to DeSantis on his handling of covid and no mask mandates. Many are supporters of BOTH Trump and DeSantis.

BTW for a "cult", Trump supporters are also accused to be anti-vax/anti-mandate, which is opposite of Trump's advocacy of the vaccine. I guess they don't know how to behave like a cult.

That’s fine. I’m not really a fan of the Trump “base,” which I view as different from the conservative base. He has a significant group who will vote for him no matter what he says or does. I also don’t consider myself a Republican. I’m sort of an odd duck, politically. :haha: I just want the government to leave me alone, and don’t like being lied to.