Nico - 16/20
Dee - 16/20
Steven - 17/20
James - 18/20
Megan - 19/20

VICTORIA
Piplup

IPB Image

The ultimate underdog story of this whole rankdown even surpassing Charizard's and Scraggy's is Piplup. It did THAT. :wub: Remember when it beat Bulbasaur and Slyveon because Sola wanted to get out Gardevoir so bad and couldn't be reason with? I do. Gardevoir still got cut later on like I knew it would and I would have given Dragonite a pass to the finals but karma is funny that way. Piplup is here and they aren't. Well, you voted for it guys. I just gave you what you wanted. :) Piplup is a Water-type Pokémon introduced in Generation IV. It evolves into Prinplup starting at level 16, which evolves into Empoleon starting at level 36. Along with Turtwig and Chimchar, Piplup is one of three starter Pokémon of Sinnoh available at the beginning of Pokémon Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum. It's known as the Penguin Pokémon and the future of the winner of this rankdown. I almost ranked it #2 but I couldn't do that to Squirtle. :dead: Best of luck, Piplup. I know Steven is so happy you are here.

SOLA
LMAO, I love that Piplup is in the finals. It was my initial starter in this rankdown before seeing Eevee was an option. Piplup has gifs galore and is a great starter for Gen 4. It’s a penguin Pokémon and evolves into Prinplup at level 16 (which is one of those really ugly middle evolution types), and becomes awesome again when it evolves into Empoleon at 36. I really hope Piplup wins because of a bunch of bitter rankings, it would be hilarious and an appropriate way to end the rankdown. Outside of 3 of my Top 5 to get to the final ranking, Piplup would be my choice. Its stats are fine for a starter, nothing amazing. If you choose to not evolve it, I suppose it will eventually learn hydro pump. It can learn many moves via type so type coverage isn’t a problem. Cue all of the adorable Piplup gifs.

NICO
Icon. Legend. The pokemon no one saw coming until it was too late wub.gif But seriously tho, it’s still hilarious this made it all the way to the end. If any pokemon is proof of this rankdown being unpredictable, it’s Piplup. Like it’s cute and all but so are hundred of pokemon. I guess being a starter gives it a little more name recognition and “importance” but that didn’t stop a lot of other starters from leaving the rankdown. Hell the partner to this pokemon most of us saved left the rankdown. Anyway, the meme pick for sure, but I’m not that much about it so out it goes.

DEE
#16. Piplup (Generation IV)

IPB Image

fIvTLTI1Xa4

Do not fear Megan! Piplup is only one spot ahead of Infernape in my rankings. LOL. The Penguin Pokémon, Piplup is Water-type Pokémon introduced to the series during Generation IV. Piplup is a cutie. One of the cutest Pokémon ever. But Prinplup and Empoleon are awesome Pokémon and essentially make Piplup super uninteresting. I usually become pretty attached to starters and am sad to evolve them, but Piplup is the perfect example of a starter that you cannot wait to evolve and be done with. I love Piplup, but there are far more interesting Pokémon in this group of finalists. Plus, Sola is a Piplup fan. So I need to place Piplup in the bottom 25% of my rankings to avoid any unnecessarily high rankings that he will try to work out unjustifiably. LOL.

Piplup has a strong sense of self-pride. Despite poor walking abilities, Piplup's constant falls do not hurt its ego. Always quick to get back up and puff it chest out, Piplup's sense of pride makes accepting food from humans and bonding with its caretakers difficult. Piplup live along the shores of colder northern countries.

Starting stats are okay. Piplup evolves into Prinplup starting at Level 16, which evolves into Empoleon starting at Level 36. Piplup as a species also breeds more males than females. Piplup uses the starting ability of Torrent and the hidden ability of Defiant. Medium slow Leveling Rate. 11.9% Catch Rate. 314 base stat total, with Speed as the lowest stat at 40. Small and largely ineffective move set unless significantly leveled up without evolving, which...LOL. Resistant to Steel, Fire, Water, and Ice species. Piplup is weakened by Grass and Electric species.

Unsurprisingly, Piplup is the most popular starter of the Sinnoh region in both the anime and manga series. That means there are a ton of opportunities to really become attached to Piplup. I know I did. But Piplup is also a Sola favorite, so 16 is high enough.

STEVEN
PIPLUP
IPB Image

Piplup, classified as the Penguin Pokémon, is a Water type introduced in Generation IV. Piplup is a starter Pokémon that evolves into Prinplup at level 16 and then Prinplup can evolve into Empoleon at level 36. According to its Pokédex entry, Piplup is a very proud Pokémon unwilling to accept help from its trainer when it comes to being fed or taken care of. This can make it difficult for trainers to bond with Piplup. As for Pokémon battles, Piplup's stats will only improve through evolution. Snivy was my Pokémon Diamond starter, but I did eventually start out with a Piplup in Pokémon Platinum. Piplup is adorable, but I'd rather not see Piplup win this rankdown like some other rankers were suggesting. I think it was just a joke, but I'm ranking Piplup this low on my rankings just in case it does receive a lot of high rankings.

IPB Image

JAMES
018. PIPLUP (#393)

IPB Image

It's been quite an interesting journey for this little penguin. :lol: Who expected it to get this far? Well, nothing wrong with a surprising presence when it's this cute. I'm amused to see how high it will rank.

Piplup is, of course, a pure Water-type known as the "Penguin Pokémon". It is one of the three starters for Gen. IV's games. It evolves into Prinplup at Level 16, which will subsequently evolve into Empoleon at Level 36. Being this adorable and given that I love always having a Water-type on my team for surfing and powerful attacks, I started with Piplup as well. :sorcerer:

Suffice it to say, one cannot simply locate Piplup anywhere in the Sinnoh region. They must select it at the beginning of their journey in the Diamond/Pearl games, from Professor Rowan's briefcase at Lake Verity. But in Platinum, the expedition will begin on Route 201. :thumbs: Otherwise, they must trade for it.

Well, it will be interesting to see where it lands. Congrats on making the Top 20! :wave:

IPB Image

MEGAN
Piplup
IPB Image

Piplup is a Pokemon. Piplup is a Pokemon. Piplup is a Pokemon. Piplup is a Pokemon. Piplup is a Pokemon. Piplup is a Pokemon. Piplup is a Pokemon. Piplup is a Pokemon. Piplup is a Pokemon. Piplup is a Pokemon. Piplup is a Pokemon. Piplup is a Pokemon. Piplup is a Pokemon. Piplup is a Pokemon. Piplup is a Pokemon. Piplup is a Pokemon. Piplup is a Pokemon. Piplup is a Pokemon. Piplup is a Pokemon. Piplup is a Pokemon. Piplup is a Pokemon. Piplup is a Pokemon. Piplup is a Pokemon. Piplup is a Pokemon. Piplup is a Pokemon.

REI

IPB Image
LOL. How did this happen? Piplup placement here will always be kinda iconic :haha:. Aleksandra Wojda could never :haha:. Gen IV Pokemon are so uninspiring. Except for Chimchar the trio of starters is one of the worst. Empoleon and Torterra are terrible. People saying Generation IV is good are clearly forgetting about all the unnecessary evolutions and pre-evolutions we got that no one asked for: Mime Jr., Happiny, Lickilicky, Rhyperior, Electivire, Porygon-Z, Probopass. Rhyperior and Probopass are just so bad ugh. Anyway, Piplup is cute and that is the only thing that it has going for him. Piplup reminds me a lot of the Chikorita line in the way that it only gets worse with the following evolution. Piplup is easily in my bottom 2 water starter along with Popplio. If you decide to do a replay of Diamond, Pearl or Platinum pick the much better and interesting Chimchar. And if the rumors are true and the Diamond/Pearl remakes do come next year guess who I'm not choosing as my starter :*
My ranking: 20/20

Dee:

16. Piplup

19. Scraggy

20. Starmie

James:

02. Scraggy

18. Piplup

19. Starmie

Megan:

18. Scraggy

19. Piplup