Video Game Rankdown Pt. 2

Deeee

You act like I don’t know exactly what games he loves and what games he submitted to the Rankdown, etc. I knew my opinion would not align with his. Tom and I almost never agree.

NEWSFLASH! Lol.

Most of the games I love were brought into the rankdown by other people actually. :haha:

I will do none of them.

Seconded.

You act like I don’t know exactly what games he loves and what games he submitted to the Rankdown, etc. I knew my opinion would not align with his. Tom and I almost never agree.

NEWSFLASH! Lol.

Most of the games I love were brought into the rankdown by other people actually. :haha:

I will do none of them.

Seconded.

Advance Wars
IPB Image

Alongside Fire Emblem, Nintendo has always had another turn-based tactics series called the Wars series. Aptly started with Famicom Wars, the first games in the series (Famicom Wars through Gameboy Wars 3) were only released in Japan. However, like the first GBA Fire Emblem, that changed with Advance Wars which was the first Wars game to be released in the west. (Strangely enough, it was first released only in NA and PAL and then in Japan with a bundle consisting of both Advance Wars and Advance Wars 2). Though the games were longtime staples of the Nintendo Brand when it came down to it, Advance Wars died so Fire Emblem could live. I joke a little bit, but considering that the next full-fledged original tactics game from IS was Fire Emblem: Awakening, I wouldn't be surprised if it did come down to Wars or Fire Emblem, and Fire Emblem had a much clearer more profitable future.

Since I assume that more people here have played Fire Emblem, or are simply more vocal about playing Fire Emblem, the core gameplay of Advance Wars is similar to Fire Emblem battles. As you can see there's a grid-system which your units are placed and you take turns moving your units about to attack the enemy. There's a little bit more too it, but again it's similar to Fire Emblem. You only want to use certain weapons against certain units, terrain has an effect, etc. The key differences are that the amount of damage you do to an enemy depends on the number of hit points you currently have, most of your units don't have faces and names (and therefore you aren't trying to save all of them), and that you have a commanding officer who grants bonuses.

There's a story to the game. But the story is really secondary to the battling. It's more modern and western than the more medieval anime quality of Fire Emblem stories. Fewer children that are actually dragons. More tanks. And that's because there's a big emphasis on multi-player.

For those of you interested in Advance Wars, it's not too difficult to obtain a cart of the game. And there's a really good indie game called "Wargroove" that emulates a lot of the stuff that made Advance Wars fun that's available on most platforms as well.

Tekken

IPB Image

Tekken is the first game from the fighting series that was first released on 1994 for the Arcades and the following year for the PlayStation. Tekken is a fighting game where the player chooses a character from a lineup and fight against an opponent in hand-to-hand combat. Back in the day, Tekken was a kind of fresh as it was one of the few games that allowed the player to control each of the fighter's four limbs independently. The original arcade game had only 8 playable characters but after being ported to the PlayStation the following year a total of 18 characters were available in the roster. These characters were Anna Williams, Armor King, Devil, Ganryu, Heihachi Mishima, Jack, Kazuya Mishima, King I, Kuma, Kunimitsu, Lee Chaolan, Marshall Law, Michelle Chang, Nina Williams, Paul Phoenix, Prototype Jack, Wang Jinrei and Yoshimitsu. The story revolves about how Heihachi threw his 5-year-old son Kazuya from a cliff to see if he could survive, climb back to the top and prove to be worth it of leading the family business. Kazuya survives the fall, but he suffer a large scar on his chest which cause a devil entity within him called the Devil Gene to activate. Kazuya trains over the years and become a martial artist champion and twenty one years later Heihachi announces the King of Iron First Tournament in order to test Kazuya's strength. During the finals, Kazuya defeats Heihachi by using the strenght obtained by the Devil Gene and in an act of revenge picks up his father's unconscious body and throws it down from the same cliff that he was thrown off as a child. Tekken was the first PlayStation game to sell over one million copies for which it has a Guinnes Record. Although not the best Tekken by any means, this is where it all started and helped Tekken established itself as one of the most successful fighting game series of all time.

Super Mario Kart

IPB Image

This game hold a lot of Nostalgia for me. It had gotten a super nintendo earlier thaty ar for Christmas, and my birthday (a month after Christmas), my parents purchased me Super Mario Kart. My buds and I put many hours into this game.

For those who live under a rock, Super Mario Kart is the first Mario Kart game in the series, and it was originally released on the Super Nintendo in 1992. I was 3, realistically though, I got this a couple years later when I was 6? There were only 8 characters at the time, and you could play as any of Mario, Toad, Yoshi, Luigi, Peach, Koopa Troopa, Bowser and Donkey Kong Jr. Its the one that started it all. You could race the cups solo, or you could vs. They also had a battle mode. Some things have remained the same from the Mario Kart series, and Rainbow Road was a tradition that started with the first game has continued with every sequel. In total there were 20 unique stages to learn and play through. One of my favorites was theHaunted house, because you could jump a gap with a feather, and I failed that so many times until I learned the trick.

Super Mario Kart is considered one of the greatest games of all time, and it sparked the beginning a major series for Nintendo. Everything its earned is well deserved.

Pikmin

IPB Image

Ok so I think Victoria or steven might be fans of Sonic and Megan might want to do a write up on Wolfenstein so Pikmin it is. I've never played it but I know it's a puzzle and strategy type of game. I think I might have cit one of the sequels earlier in the rankdown actually. Anyway, Pikmin is developed and released by Nintendo. It i the first game in the series and was released in 2001. Captain Olimar has crash-landed on an unknown planet and befriending plant-animal creatures that he starts to call Pikmin. Captain Olimar has to gather the missing pieces of his broken spaceship in order to escape before his air supply completely runs out because the planet's oxygen-rich atmosphere is poisonous to his species. Pikmin features three endings, depending on the number of spaceship parts reclaimed; if all thirty parts are reclaimed by the final day, the best ending is shown.

WOLFENSTEIN II: THE NEW COLOSSUS

IPB Image

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus is an action shooter game initially released in 2017 for the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Microsoft Windows. It later became available for the Nintendo Switch. The eighth entry in the Wolfenstein series, Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus takes place in an alternate timeline that sees the Nazis winning World War II. The protagonist of the game is a war veteran by the name of William "B.J." Blazkowicz. The game follows his attempts at taking down the Nazi regime in America. Players will battle enemies as they make their way through the game. The main weapon of choice is usually some type of firearm, but there are other variety of weapons too. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus was critically acclaimed with praise for its spectacle. It is said to be a fast-paced game with a compelling story that will engage players. At The Game Awards 2017, Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus won the award for Best Action Game. It also won Best Shooter and Best Story at IGN's Best of 2017 Awards. It sounds like a great game, so sorry to any fans sad to see it leave the rankdown.