Crisis's S22 Catastrophic Thoughts

Crisis

Posted (edited)

(Before I begin, I know I will get some funny looks for the thread title; therefore, I will clear that up right now. The title is strictly a reference to my username; I have titled previous threads in a similar manner. I am in no means saying S22 was a disaster (well, maybe it is for those who prefer WGWGs). :haha: With that said, now to the main subject...)

Well, well, well. Another American Idol season is officially in the books. Surely this season ended in disappointment after so much hype and investment with another male taking home the prize. ;) All kidding aside, this is just my one stop thread discussing all things S22. Since S19, I have created such threads to share my opinions about the contestants, their performances, and other random topics during the season. This time, however, I decided to switch things up and create a post-season one.

The primary rule I typically have for these threads is no spoilers because I don't read them. That is now irrelevant since the season is over. :haha: Nonetheless, I do have one main rule: be respectful of other people's opinions. Disagreeing is one thing; being rude is another. I am speaking for myself here: I do try to be as fair and balanced as possible with my opinions. I will not sit here and only sting someone with jabs of criticism, nor will I serenade someone with nothing but songs of praise (besides, I don't have the best singing voice anyway; I would only scare everyone away :lmao:).

With that out of the way, I look forward to sharing my thoughts about the season and see how this will turn out.

Previous Season Threads:

Season 19

Season 20

Season 21

Edited by Crisis
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, miss denise said:

Oh yay! I've missed reading your thoughts so will try to do my best to keep up with this. 😄 I hope you've been well! 

Happy to see you again! Glad to see you will try to keep track with this thread although where were you last season. I'll be doing things a little differently from the previous threads, so I hope this becomes interesting.

I've been well. Hopefully you have been as well.

3 hours ago, Crisis said:

Happy to see you again! Glad to see you will try to keep track with this thread although where were you last season. I'll be doing things a little differently from the previous threads, so I hope this becomes interesting.

I've been well. Hopefully you have been as well.

:hug: Oh no, not the crossed out text. 😭 :dead: I don't even know where I was... I mean, I was on here but it also takes me a good 10 minutes to remember who was on last season every time. :lmao: :dead: I'm sure it'll be great!

Glad to hear! My life has been very chaotic, but I'm okay. :haha: 

9 hours ago, CarmenSandiego said:

I missed reading your comments as well, Crisis.  I hope you have some good comments now that the season’s over.

Thank you. I won't promise anything, but I'll try my best. :haha:

8 hours ago, miss denise said:

:hug: Oh no, not the crossed out text. 😭 :dead: I don't even know where I was... I mean, I was on here but it also takes me a good 10 minutes to remember who was on last season every time. :lmao: :dead: I'm sure it'll be great!

Glad to hear! My life has been very chaotic, but I'm okay. :haha: 

It's just that I missed you last year although come to think of it, it is probably better you didn't visit it. Last year was admittedly not my best effort and the least fun. I was super busy at the time, so getting my opinions in before the subsequent episodes was more of a chore than anything. I plan to change that this time around since I have until at least February to go through this season (although for me it's actually around April since that's when I start watching :haha:).

Good to see you're OK amidst all the chaos. :yes:

I plan on officially starting this thing within the next few days. If not, I'll definitely kick things off this weekend.

14 hours ago, Crisis said:

It's just that I missed you last year although come to think of it, it is probably better you didn't visit it. Last year was admittedly not my best effort and the least fun. I was super busy at the time, so getting my opinions in before the subsequent episodes was more of a chore than anything. I plan to change that this time around since I have until at least February to go through this season (although for me it's actually around April since that's when I start watching :haha:).

Good to see you're OK amidst all the chaos. :yes:

I plan on officially starting this thing within the next few days. If not, I'll definitely kick things off this weekend.

Aww I'm so sorry and missed you too! :( I feel bad, and it wasn't even intentional. bye2.gif.7960d44992e1eeff806cdce1d9856c2I could look back at it now, although maybe not given what you're saying here. :haha: I get it... it's never good when something that should be fun starts to become a chore. :( I'm glad you changed it up to be easier on you this time! 

Thank you. ❤️ 

😄 

As mentioned before, I will do things a little differently. In my previous threads, the posts were episode and performance based. This time around, however, the posts will focus on the contestants. The plan is to give my opinions on them by discussing both the positive and negative. In addition, I will list my favorite, least favorite and if applicable, most underrated performances from each contestants. I will start from the first eliminated contestants and work my way up to the winner. Lastly, these writeups will start from the Hawaii Showcase Round since I didn’t watch the auditions or Hollywood episodes.

Since I forgot to add this to the first post and am too lazy to edit it, I will add it here. I will toss in some jokes here and there, but I can assure you they will not come from a malicious place. I have always allowed people to call me out if I go too far or say something offensive, and it will be the same here. Just don’t be overly rude about it.

With that said, on to the victims contestants…

• Like 1

BLAKE PROEHL

579x579-Q90_f98fab15713dccb71e04064145ef3403.jpg

It turns out Blake is the son of former NFL wide receiver Ricky Proehl. I remember watching his father catch the go ahead score in the 1999 NFC Championship game against the Bucs, which led to the Rams advancing to and winning the Super Bowl, but I digress. It turns out Blake himself tried his hand at an NFL career, but things didn’t work out there and therefore, he turned his attention to music. It appears there is some work to do for him in this area based on the little I saw from him on Idol.

POSITIVE: I’ll start by saying his tone wasn't all that bad, at least in the lower part of his range. In addition, he has high heartthrob potential with his looks.

NEGATIVE: His tone is nasally in the higher part of his range. This was evident in his lone performance in the competition. Also, he doesn’t seem to be a natural performer. Tori Kelly mentioned in his rehearsal that it looked like he was thinking, which appeared to be the case in his performance. While we are on that subject…

ANYONE

This started on the wrong foot with his vocals being too low in the beginning. However, they gradually gained a few yards until he reached the chorus, where things went downhill. The notes he hit in that section would have had him surrounded with more flags than a United Nations convention. He brought the bad habits from the practice to the field, which is not ideal to say the least. Moreover, his stage movements still looked forced, and it appeared he overthought everything like Tori pointed out. He still had a chance to salvage the performance by finishing it strong, but he fumbled just short of the goal line.

OVERALL: Blake put up a valiant effort in his one showing. However, his opponent, being the song choice, slowed him down enough to prevent him from scoring any points with the voters and hence, his time in the S22 divisional round came to a swift end. With that said, the tools are there and if he has the discipline to continue working on his craft, he can be much better at catching notes than passes.

-----

HAILEY MIA

528x528-Q90_fdf8cf656a8e6683c8c838e8176de4d7.jpg

Based on a quick Google search, it appears Hailey competed in S21 of The Voice where she made it all the way to fourth place. A little over three years later, the adrenaline of participating in another reality TV singing competition rushed through her body again and therefore, she sung her way into the Top 24 in American Idol. Unfortunately, things did not go as well for her in this endeavor.

POSITIVE: She had a very mature tone to her voice, and her pitch was mostly on point.

NEGATIVE: There wasn’t much about her that differentiated her from the other contestants. As with Blake, she also appeared to be in her head which hindered her some.

SHE'S ALL I WANNA BE

As much as I want to rag on the song choice and artist not being great, I will give her credit for picking something age appropriate. Vocally, she was fine as she didn’t hit too many bad notes. However, the main issue was the performance went nowhere. She didn’t add anything new to the song; it was virtually a carbon copy of the original. There are some songs that are better off sung straight, but this wasn’t one of them. In addition, she experienced one of the Idol traditions of being drowned out in parts which in her case happened to be being overpowered by the backup singers in the choruses. She tried to finish on a strong note, but she didn’t quite get there.

OVERALL: Hailey was a young girl with a nice voice and a lot of potential. However, her lone performance while competent was forgettable, which as I have said plenty of times in the past is one of the worst things someone can be early in the competition. Combined with her performance airing first, it’s easy to see how she slipped through the cracks and became one of the first S22 hopefuls eliminated. Although she didn’t do as well on Idol as she did on The Voice, the tools and potential are there. She might have done better with a song that highlighted her best qualities, but I guess we will never know.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Crisis said:

BLAKE PROEHL

579x579-Q90_f98fab15713dccb71e04064145ef3403.jpg

It turns out Blake is the son of former NFL wide receiver Ricky Proehl. I remember watching his father catch the go ahead score in the 1999 NFC Championship game against the Bucs, which led to the Rams advancing to and winning the Super Bowl, but I digress. It turns out Blake himself tried his hand at an NFL career, but things didn’t work out there and therefore, he turned his attention to music. It appears there is some work to do for him in this area based on the little I saw from him on Idol.

POSITIVE: I’ll start by saying his tone wasn't all that bad, at least in the lower part of his range. In addition, he has high heartthrob potential with his looks.

NEGATIVE: His tone is nasally in the higher part of his range. This was evident in his lone performance in the competition. Also, he doesn’t seem to be a natural performer. Tori Kelly mentioned in his rehearsal that it looked like he was thinking, which appeared to be the case in his performance. While we are on that subject…

ANYONE

This started on the wrong foot with his vocals being too low in the beginning. However, they gradually gained a few yards until he reached the chorus, where things went downhill. The notes he hit in that section would have had him surrounded with more flags than a United Nations convention. He brought the bad habits from the practice to the field, which is not ideal to say the least. Moreover, his stage movements still looked forced, and it appeared he overthought everything like Tori pointed out. He still had a chance to salvage the performance by finishing it strong, but he fumbled just short of the goal line.

OVERALL: Blake put up a valiant effort in his one showing. However, his opponent, being the song choice, slowed him down enough to prevent him from scoring any points with the voters and hence, his time in the S22 divisional round came to a swift end. With that said, the tools are there and if he has the discipline to continue working on his craft, he can be much better at catching notes than passes.

-----

HAILEY MIA

528x528-Q90_fdf8cf656a8e6683c8c838e8176de4d7.jpg

Based on a quick Google search, it appears Hailey competed in S21 of The Voice where she made it all the way to fourth place. A little over three years later, the adrenaline of participating in another reality TV singing competition rushed through her body again and therefore, she sung her way into the Top 24 in American Idol. Unfortunately, things did not go as well for her in this endeavor.

POSITIVE: She had a very mature tone to her voice, and her pitch was mostly on point.

NEGATIVE: There wasn’t much about her that differentiated her from the other contestants. As with Blake, she also appeared to be in her head which hindered her some.

SHE'S ALL I WANNA BE

As much as I want to rag on the song choice and artist not being great, I will give her credit for picking something age appropriate. Vocally, she was fine as she didn’t hit too many bad notes. However, the main issue was the performance went nowhere. She didn’t add anything new to the song; it was virtually a carbon copy of the original. There are some songs that are better off sung straight, but this wasn’t one of them. In addition, she experienced one of the Idol traditions of being drowned out in parts which in her case happened to be being overpowered by the backup singers in the choruses. She tried to finish on a strong note, but she didn’t quite get there.

OVERALL: Hailey was a young girl with a nice voice and a lot of potential. However, her lone performance while competent was forgettable, which as I have said plenty of times in the past is one of the worst things someone can be early in the competition. Combined with her performance airing first, it’s easy to see how she slipped through the cracks and became one of the first S22 hopefuls eliminated. Although she didn’t do as well on Idol as she did on The Voice, the tools and potential are there. She might have done better with a song that highlighted her best qualities, but I guess we will never know.

I think that Blake was in his head more than Hailey — a lot more, in fact.  The judges criticized him for it, and that’s saying something.  Where Hailey went wrong was with song choice.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Crisis said:

As much as I want to rag on the song choice and artist not being great

Yeah I don’t really know why Tate McRae is a thing but I’m not gonna go there :stealth:

I wasn’t a fan of Hailey on TV but even then she had a few performances I liked so I would’ve wanted to see her potential. She was also just in the stronger of the 2 groups imo and someone had to go home.

17 hours ago, CarmenSandiego said:

I think that Blake was in his head more than Hailey — a lot more, in fact.  The judges criticized him for it, and that’s saying something.  Where Hailey went wrong was with song choice.

No disagreement here. I pretty much said so in my writeups.

8 hours ago, nytsch said:

Yeah I don’t really know why Tate McRae is a thing but I’m not gonna go there :stealth:

I wasn’t a fan of Hailey on TV but even then she had a few performances I liked so I would’ve wanted to see her potential. She was also just in the stronger of the 2 groups imo and someone had to go home.

It's good to see I'm not the only one! :haha:

The last point is a good one. The first group aired was stronger as a whole. It was clear to see who the two most vulnerable contestants were in the second group (which I will get to later, of course), so Hailey might have had a better chance to survive the first eliminations if she were a part of that group.

7 hours ago, wildestinvegas said:

do you have the link for your threads from past seasons? would love to read them!

Sure! I added them to the initial post. Read at your own peril, however. :haha:

Ooh I didn't realize things had begun since I wasn't quoted again. :blushingwave: I'm glad I checked! I'm intrigued by how you're doing things this time. 😮 

That's a cool memory you have of Blake's dad. 😮  Ahh I really loved his audition (which I know you haven't seen bye2.gif.7960d44992e1eeff806cdce1d9856c2) and he was on my radar from there. I was disappointed with his Hawaii performance. :( It makes sense he seemed a bit inexperienced, if he hasn't been doing it long. lol I feel I am seeing a lot of football references in your commentary here. :giggle: 

I don't remember Hailey all that much, but I think I liked her somewhat. I'm amazed she placed so high on The Voice, only to then go on Idol. 😮 

23 hours ago, Weedy_Speedy said:

I thought Hailey did better than a certain other contestant who overstayed their welcome this season, but lol 4th place on The Voice? That's funny.

One thing I find interesting about both shows is how the contestants who competed in both shows tend to have opposite results. :haha: For example, Sundance was bounced early on Idol but goes on to win a season of TV. Here you have Hailey who placed high on TV but was eliminated early in Idol.

21 hours ago, miss denise said:

Ooh I didn't realize things had begun since I wasn't quoted again. :blushingwave: I'm glad I checked! I'm intrigued by how you're doing things this time. 😮 

Ahh I really loved his audition (which I know you haven't seen bye2.gif.7960d44992e1eeff806cdce1d9856c2) and he was on my radar from there. I was disappointed with his Hawaii performance. :( It makes sense he seemed a bit inexperienced, if he hasn't been doing it long. lol I feel I am seeing a lot of football references in your commentary here. :giggle: 

I don't remember Hailey all that much, but I think I liked her somewhat. I'm amazed she placed so high on The Voice, only to then go on Idol. 😮 

Sorry, it must have slipped my mind. :blushingwave: :haha: Glad to see you're intrigued.

His audition must have been nice if he ended up on your radar. Sorry you were disappointed with his Hawaii performance. I'm glad someone caught those football references (what do you know, I just made another one :haha:). It lets me know my efforts weren't in vain.

You not remembering Hailey all that much emphasizes my point in her writeup some. A lot of the voters must have felt the same way. It is interesting she appeared on Idol after her placement on TV.

6 minutes ago, Crisis said:

His audition must have been nice if he ended up on your radar. Sorry you were disappointed with his Hawaii performance. I'm glad someone caught those football references (what do you know, I just made another one :haha:). It lets me know my efforts weren't in vain.

I thought he was a potential winner candidate after his audition. But he did go downhill in Hollywood and even more so in Hawaii. It was a sharp and quick downward slope for him.

• Like 2

ELLEIGH MARIE

528x528-Q90_d65dbac6a5abc188290d061b33d3438c.jpg

POSITIVE: Nice low tone to her voice. Good stage presence.

NEGATIVE: Seemed to lack power, especially for the song she sang.

FORGET (AKA ****) YOU

Apparently, her now ex-boyfriend cheated on her, so she picked a song to bare her feelings about it. She couldn’t pick a more apt song for the occasion. For starters, she kept the original pronouns which is cool, although it insinuates the guy fooled around with another boy. In addition, she worked the stage and the crowd well. However, the downside was the vocal itself. It wasn’t terrible but for a song of this nature and the reason for her singing it, it lacked edge. More anger and bite, even some vocal imperfections could’ve enhanced this more. Really drive the point about not appreciating the infidelity home. The wink at the end was out of place; it would’ve been more fitting in a song about taking back her independence or emotionally moving on from a toxic relationship on her own terms.

OVERALL: Besides physically resembling a celebrity who I am currently having a difficult time thinking of (I want to say Melissa Joan Hart, but I think it's someone else), Elleigh had a good lower tone to her voice and appeared to be confident on stage. Unfortunately, her downfall was not so much the song choice as much as it was her not having enough attitude and conviction to sell the song the way it needed to be. While she wasn’t the weakest of her group, I knew she was one of the most vulnerable to elimination, which proved to be the case. Nonetheless, she has some tools to work with, so all is not lost for her.

-----

KBLOCKS

512x288-Q90_99805dc79defac38eec08c2f0cf6bdd3.jpg

For some reason, I can't find a square picture of her. This will have to do. 🤷‍♂️

POSITIVE: Fun personality, confident stage performance

NEGATIVE: Not the best tone, personality while fun can be polarizing

HARLEYS IN HAWAII

I will unashamedly admit it: I absolutely enjoyed this! Did she butcher the song? Without question. Was a single note in tune? No, not really. Was it fun to watch? You better believe it! If you’re going to be bad, at least be entertaining, and she brought the entertainment in spades. It started rough and only got worse as the performance progressed. The parts where I completely lost it were the “you and I” leading into the second chorus and the “hula, hula” section. I literally had tears on my face from laughing so hard from the latter. I enjoy a great vocal performance as much as the next person; however, I can also appreciate a good trainwreck. This performance completely skidded off the tracks and dove headfirst into the Pacific Ocean.

OVERALL: KBlocks was certainly an interesting contestant so to speak. She was an unconventional and unapologetic free spirit who did things her way. For her to sing a Katy Perry song in front of Katy and give that kind of performance speaks volumes about her confidence. A part of me wanted her to stick around for at least one more week to see what she would do, but I knew that wasn’t in the cards considering she gave technically the worst performance of both nights. In the end, she was a weaker, more unhinged Lucy Love, and I appreciate her for it. :giggle:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, QueenKalie said:

I thought he was a potential winner candidate after his audition. But he did go downhill in Hollywood and even more so in Hawaii. It was a sharp and quick downward slope for him.

That sounds unfortunate. Well, he wasn't the first to ride down this slope, and he most likely won't be the last.

Unfortunately for Elleigh she was likely doomed no matter what as she had by far the least airtime. She wasn't shown at all in Hollywood. I think she was the only top 24 contestant ignored in all the rounds. Rumors were going around that she ended up replacing some contestant that withdrew but not sure how accurate that actually was. I would have liked Elleigh to have lasted longer than she actually did because she was really fun. Her personality just stood out more than a lot of these other people's did. 

3 hours ago, Crisis said:

ELLEIGH MARIE

528x528-Q90_d65dbac6a5abc188290d061b33d3438c.jpg

POSITIVE: Nice low tone to her voice. Good stage presence.

NEGATIVE: Seemed to lack power, especially for the song she sang.

FORGET (AKA ****) YOU

Apparently, her now ex-boyfriend cheated on her, so she picked a song to bare her feelings about it. She couldn’t pick a more apt song for the occasion. For starters, she kept the original pronouns which is cool, although it insinuates the guy fooled around with another boy. In addition, she worked the stage and the crowd well. However, the downside was the vocal itself. It wasn’t terrible but for a song of this nature and the reason for her singing it, it lacked edge. More anger and bite, even some vocal imperfections could’ve enhanced this more. Really drive the point about not appreciating the infidelity home. The wink at the end was out of place; it would’ve been more fitting in a song about taking back her independence or emotionally moving on from a toxic relationship on her own terms.

OVERALL: Besides physically resembling a celebrity who I am currently having a difficult time thinking of (I want to say Melissa Joan Hart, but I think it's someone else), Elleigh had a good lower tone to her voice and appeared to be confident on stage. Unfortunately, her downfall was not so much the song choice as much as it was her not having enough attitude and conviction to sell the song the way it needed to be. While she wasn’t the weakest of her group, I knew she was one of the most vulnerable to elimination, which proved to be the case. Nonetheless, she has some tools to work with, so all is not lost for her.

-----

KBLOCKS

512x288-Q90_99805dc79defac38eec08c2f0cf6bdd3.jpg

For some reason, I can't find a square picture of her. This will have to do. 🤷‍♂️

POSITIVE: Fun personality, confident stage performance

NEGATIVE: Not the best tone, personality while fun can be polarizing

HARLEYS IN HAWAII

I will unashamedly admit it: I absolutely enjoyed this! Did she butcher the song? Without question. Was a single note in tune? No, not really. Was it fun to watch? You better believe it! If you’re going to be bad, at least be entertaining, and she brought the entertainment in spades. It started rough and only got worse as the performance progressed. The parts where I completely lost it were the “you and I” leading into the second chorus and the “hula, hula” section. I literally had tears on my face from laughing so hard from the latter. I enjoy a great vocal performance as much as the next person; however, I can also appreciate a good trainwreck. This performance completely skidded off the tracks and dove headfirst into the Pacific Ocean.

OVERALL: KBlocks was certainly an interesting contestant so to speak. She was an unconventional and unapologetic free spirit who did things her way. For her to sing a Katy Perry song in front of Katy and give that kind of performance speaks volumes about her confidence. A part of me wanted her to stick around for at least one more week to see what she would do, but I knew that wasn’t in the cards considering she gave technically the worst performance of both nights. In the end, she was a weaker, more unhinged Lucy Love, and I appreciate her for it. :giggle:

While I also like train wrecks, I like them less when we get to the Top 24 than at the beginning.  Also, I might prefer train wrecks on a show like Hell’s Kitchen.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Nice writeups, very fair and I agree with everything so far.

Blake outstayed his welcome imo. Should have been home by showstoppers at least. But he has a pleasant tone when he's not going outside his comfort zone vocally.

That KBlocks performance was hilarious. But I remember she had a performance in an earlier round that had all the flavour of this one without the pitch issues, it was actually pretty good. Lucy love is a perfect  comparable.

And as for Hailey.. yeah, that performance (and tbh most of them on AI) are not the best representation of her abilities.

Which kinda puts into question her versatility. But she's excellent with the slow, emotional pop ballads within her range. Those were her best showings on The Voice.

Edited by Hsamid

13 hours ago, Weedy_Speedy said:

Both of these girlypops were fodder, but I'll admit that I laughed my ass off @ "my sob story is that I got cheated on". :haha: In that respect, Elleigh was more entertaining to me than KBlocks.

That's one way to look at it. :haha:

12 hours ago, QueenKalie said:

Unfortunately for Elleigh she was likely doomed no matter what as she had by far the least airtime. She wasn't shown at all in Hollywood. I think she was the only top 24 contestant ignored in all the rounds. Rumors were going around that she ended up replacing some contestant that withdrew but not sure how accurate that actually was. I would have liked Elleigh to have lasted longer than she actually did because she was really fun. Her personality just stood out more than a lot of these other people's did. 

Yeah, that is unfortunate. Not having much airtime prior to the voting rounds can be a huge handicap. With that said, some contestants were able to overcome that disadvantage and make it pretty far in the competition. I can't say for sure if Elleigh could have done so with a different song or better performance of the one she picked, but it couldn't have hurt.

10 hours ago, CarmenSandiego said:

While I also like train wrecks, I like them less when we get to the Top 24 than at the beginning.

Yeah, trainwrecks are more fun in the beginning. However, a good one is still a good one regardless when it occurs.

4 hours ago, Hsamid said:

Nice writeups, very fair and I agree with everything so far.

Blake outstayed his welcome imo. Should have been home by showstoppers at least. But he has a pleasant tone when he's not going outside his comfort zone vocally.

That KBlocks performance was hilarious. But I remember she had a performance in an earlier round that had all the flavour of this one without the pitch issues, it was actually pretty good. Lucy love is a perfect  comparable.

And as for Hailey.. yeah, that performance (and tbh most of them on AI) are not the best representation of her abilities.

Which kinda puts into question her versatility. But she's excellent with the slow, emotional pop ballads within her range. Those were her best showings on The Voice.

Thank you for this.

I agree that his tone isn't too bad when he doesn't push too hard. It's too bad he did so in Hawaii.

Is there a link to this? I want to check it out for myself.

Too bad to see she didn't really showcase herself during her time on Idol. Maybe she was better off doing a slow, emotional pop ballad in Hawaii if that's where she truly shines.