Crisis's S22 Catastrophic Thoughts

Crisis

1 minute ago, CarmenSandiego said:

Unfortunately, I prefer the more consistently great or at least very good female contestants.  I might have liked Kaibrienne more had she been more consistent — and had Abi not been on this season to grab my attention.

Yes I think we all know how obsessed with Abi you were we get it. :dead:

• Haha 1

my thoughts on kaibrienne is that she has an interesting compelling voice but she never figured out what truly to do with it. i think if she had waited a few years to come to the show, she could've been a potential finalist. i was lowkey surprised she ended in 7th place bc she had quite a solid fan base. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, wildestinvegas said:

my thoughts on kaibrienne is that she has an interesting compelling voice but she never figured out what truly to do with it. i think if she had waited a few years to come to the show, she could've been a potential finalist. i was lowkey surprised she ended in 7th place bc she had quite a solid fan base. 

Actually, she finished in eighth.  But I was also somewhat surprised that she wound up in the Bottom Two with McKenna since I too thought that she had a bigger fan base.  But I guess that her fan base was smaller than I thought.

I think Kaibrienne survived off the sympathy vote. She absolutely fell apart on stage during the top 20 show, but she's a young girl so people were compelled to feel sorry and vote for her. She was likely a dead woman walking going into the top 10 show, but pulled off a glorious hat trick with "Here Without You" (which again, was incredible) and thus survived until the next night. I also think she was likable/rootable, so I'm sure she also has fans through her own merit. I'll shut up now because I'm obviously not one of them. :haha:

1 hour ago, CarmenSandiego said:

But I guess that her fan base was smaller than I thought.

her fan base was large but you can't survive off of that alone (unless you have a following like Iam). you need to be able to earn the respect of casual voters as well

“Young girl”

“Should have waited a few years”

We’re talking someone who is at least 20 years old. 

Her fan base is an inch wide, and a mile deep, while the winner’s is a mile wide, and an inch deep. I think I’d rather have the more committed one, even if it’s smaller. I’m not a fan, but I’m impressed that she was able to amass that fanbase, and translate it into streaming numbers. Let’s see how long she can keep it. That’s the hard part. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

“Young girl”

“Should have waited a few years”

We’re talking someone who is at least 20 years old. 

Her fan base is an inch wide, and a mile deep, while the winner’s is a mile wide, and an inch deep. I think I’d rather have the more committed one, even if it’s smaller. I’m not a fan, but I’m impressed that she was able to amass that fanbase, and translate it into streaming numbers. Let’s see how long she can keep it. That’s the hard part. 

You may have some good points about Kaibrienne’s fan base being so deep, but when we say that she maybe should have waited a year or two, it’s because of her inconsistency and weaker performance skills.  Still, she will have a good future.

22 minutes ago, CarmenSandiego said:

You may have some good points about Kaibrienne’s fan base being so deep, but when we say that she maybe should have waited a year or two, it’s because of her inconsistency and weaker performance skills.  Still, she will have a good future.

I’m not sure her upside is very high, vocally.  The good news is, it doesn’t have to be to make it in the industry. 

Man, this thread has been dead in the past 24 hours or so. ;)

Too much to quote here, so I'll just say there are a lot of valid points about Kaibrienne.

I'll wait a couple of days before I get to the next contestants in case Denise wants to catch up. I know she doesn't like it when I get too far ahead. :haha:

Posted (edited)

JULIA GAGNON

WsbRjbY.jpeg

POSITIVE:

Great technical singer, impressive vocal range

NEGATIVE:

No set identity, uninspiring song choices

LEAST FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: ROAM

Julia put herself behind the eight ball at the beginning with the song choice. It’s difficult to cover a B-52’s song because they are one of those bands whose style works only for them. Everything about the performance, from the singing to the rhythmless moving, was awkward. It also didn’t help that the band drowned her out throughout the whole thing. While she gave it her best effort and hit a few solid notes, this was a performance that did not showcase her greatest strengths. As an aside, is it just me, or did the video skip a couple of times?

FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: NEED A FAVOR

I’ll be honest: it was hard picking a favorite because besides “Roam” and “Something in the Orange”, her performances were all good, but there wasn’t anything about them that stood apart from each other. In addition, each of them had at least one flaw that could be pointed out. In the end, I settled for “Need A Favor” because for one, I love the song. Also, this is where I felt her attitude and stage presence was appropriate for a song of this caliber (“Rumour Has It” was the biggest offender of this). Lastly, while this wasn’t her purest vocal, it was a strong one, especially towards the end. The one flaw it had was how it was arranged; however, that was a problem with all of the performances that night.

OVERALL:

Julia was someone who definitely didn’t have a shortage of vocal talent. She had the largest range of all the contestants save for maybe Quintavious. She hit some notes that made me take notice on many occasions. However, as we all know, just having a great voice isn’t always enough. Her main shortcoming was more than everyone that season, she lacked a strong artistic identity. It was easier to see what type of artists the other contestants wanted to be. Her song choices weren’t the most original, plus they were all over the place. It was as if she blindfolded herself and threw a dart at a music genre dartboard and went with wherever the dart stuck, although a part of me wanted to see her rap on stage based on that pre-performance clip of her in that talent show. :haha: She would’ve been a force to reckon with in the earlier Idol seasons, but that wasn’t going to cut it in the current ones. Nonetheless, she is a gifted vocalist who had her moments.

-----

MCKENNA FAITH BREINHOLT

oX5Id4a.jpeg

POSITIVE:

Hair, eyes, lips, smile, speaking voice…

Oops, I didn’t mean for that to come out. 😅 Anyway…

Smoky voice, fairly consistent, confident as an artist

NEGATIVE:

Performances tended to blend together

LEAST FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: EVERYWHERE I GO

Unfortunately, McKenna received one of the short sticks during the Judges’ Song Contest. Although I care for neither the song nor the artist, “Angels Like You” was probably the best choice of the three. As for this performance, the main problem is that it’s forgettable. In addition, the note she hit during the key change into the final chorus wasn’t the best, resulting in a bumpy transition. Despite the song’s title, this performance went nowhere.

FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: IRIS

“Iris” is one of those songs that despite it being a good song, I get annoyed when it comes on due to how overplayed it is. With that said, this was a great performance from McKenna. The natural rasp from her voice really fits the song, especially the part where she sings “yeah you bleed just to know you’re alive”. Moreover, she injected the right amount of emotion and feeling the song required, with the most notable parts being the choruses. McKenna bloomed like an iris in this performance and showed everyone she recovered nicely from her illness.

MOST UNDERRATED PERFORMANCE: E.T.

Objectively, this was McKenna’s weakest performance. For starters, there were better Katy Perry songs to pick from regarding the theme. Next, the song in question doesn’t give anyone a chance to display their vocal abilities. Lastly, McKenna wasn’t lying when she said she wasn’t a dancer. :lmao: Nevertheless, this grew on me upon rewatch. Despite her lack of coordination and rhythm, she at least made the effort to move around more. Also, the rare parts where her voice was allowed to shine sounded nice. All in all, this is more of a guilty pleasure performance than an underrated one, but I’m not changing the title. :haha:

OVERALL:

If this were the early Idol seasons, McKenna is someone who I could see myself stanning hardcore. She’s gorgeous with a smoky raspy voice that you can just chill by a fireplace with a cup of hot cocoa while listening to it. Outside of the little stretch in which she was sick and “E.T.”, she was fairly consistent. The one blip she had was she didn’t have a performance that someone could point to and say that was her moment. I guess in a way that was one negative thing about her consistency. Regardless, she was a solid contestant who brought something unique to this season.

Edited by Crisis
  • Like 1

I like Julia because I'm an old school Idol boomer who enjoys strong vocalists. I'll admit that some of her song choices were a bit all over the place...she covered people from Bryan Adams to Jelly Roll. :haha: Still, I think she would've been in the top 5 had "Roam" never happened. That and "I Believe" were her only true missteps imo.

As for McKenna, she was kind of an acquired taste for me, but I ended up becoming a fan. I disagree with "Iris" being her best, it was good but she got drowned out by bandzilla hardcore. I also thought she was inconsistent in general, and a bit too self-indulgent to properly "play the game" once the cannon fodder was gone.

i'm not sure i fully agree with Julia lacking an artistic identity. i think she has this soul-folk fusion thing going on, which is really cool and unique! the combination of her powerhouse vocals with the folk/country vibes shined best on "Need A Favor", "Something in the Orange", and "Over the Rainbow" imo. 

unfortunately, given how fast paced the format is once the competition hits live shows, her alternating between soul and folk/country songs came across as jarring and confusing. i'm interested to hear what music she makes post-show.

i also disagree about McKenna not having a moment - it was "Both Sides Now" imo. however, in retrospect, i will admit it is less memorable compared to other "moments" that contestants had. 

Edited by m1key

It's a shame McKenna was DOA going into the top 7 because MYFML was one of her best imo. I'd put it up there with Both Sides Now and Iris - honestly though, other than those 3, I couldn't get into her performances that much. I think her voice needs a specific type of song and it also didn't help that she was sick in the middle.

I actually enjoyed Julia's Something in the Orange although I would add to her weaknesses that she lacked control over her vocals, I just think it sometimes got too messy and depending on the song, she could either get away with it or not. Need a Favor has a lot of raw energy so I thought the messiness in the end was okay, but in others like I Believe it was more noticeable, and Roam was just messy throughout. SFTTR was good though, the dance theme just kinda caught her and McKenna out (I guess they could've done what Emmy did and just dodged the theme altogether, that still bothers me but we'll get there when we get there lol)

1 hour ago, m1key said:

i'm not sure i fully agree with Julia lacking an artistic identity. i think she has this soul-folk fusion thing going on, which is really cool and unique! the combination of her powerhouse vocals with the folk/country vibes shined best on "Need A Favor", "Something in the Orange", and "Over the Rainbow" imo. 

unfortunately, given how fast paced the format is once the competition hits live shows, her alternating between soul and folk/country songs came across as jarring and confusing. i'm interested to hear what music she makes post-show.

i also disagree about McKenna not having a moment - it was "Both Sides Now" imo. however, in retrospect, i will admit it is less memorable compared to other "moments" that contestants had. 

I agree that “Both Sides Now” was McKenna’s moment, but after that things began stalling and then she became sick.  Had she been healthy she would’ve probably gotten farther, or at least not been DOA at the Final 7.

If y'all want the best example of Julia's identity, check out the band she and her fiance started called Chocolate Milk. Great acoustic representation on her behalf.

Edited by NGL2008
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Weedy_Speedy said:

I disagree with "Iris" being her best, it was good but she got drowned out by bandzilla hardcore.

To be pedantic, I did say it was my favorite performance, not the best, although what is considered best is subjective. :haha:

While on that subject, I see "Both Sides Now" listed as her best performance. Now for an unpopular opinion: while it was a beautiful performance, I found it to be a bit boring. :ph34rwave:

11 hours ago, nytsch said:

I actually enjoyed Julia's Something in the Orange although I would add to her weaknesses that she lacked control over her vocals, I just think it sometimes got too messy and depending on the song, she could either get away with it or not. Need a Favor has a lot of raw energy so I thought the messiness in the end was okay, but in others like I Believe it was more noticeable, and Roam was just messy throughout. SFTTR was good though, the dance theme just kinda caught her and McKenna out (I guess they could've done what Emmy did and just dodged the theme altogether, that still bothers me but we'll get there when we get there lol)

My problem with SitO is that she powered her way through the song. It was one that would've benefited from having more subtlety. Agree about the messiness at times.

As for the bold, I may have a thing or two to say about that...🤔

18 minutes ago, Crisis said:

To be pedantic, I did say it was my favorite performance, not the best, although what is considered best is subjective. :haha:

Fair enough, apologies for misinterpreting your words. :haha: My favorite McKenna performance is actually "Hard to Say I'm Sorry." :ph34rwave: I just really dug her tone on that song in particular, for whatever reason.

Edited by Weedy_Speedy

I'm convinced if McKenna wasn't ill, she would've made Cardigan even better than it was. That standed out in my mind as much as the OG. And I do love Tumbleweed and its legacy.

I also, of course, wish that Ain't No Way had somehow happened during the voting rounds. Not a coincidence to me, though, that it was the only audition to get a Platinum Ticket while the contestant was actually there.

On 6/13/2024 at 8:23 PM, Weedy_Speedy said:

Fair enough, apologies for misinterpreting your words. :haha: My favorite McKenna performance is actually "Hard to Say I'm Sorry." :ph34rwave: I just really dug her tone on that song in particular, for whatever reason.

It's all good. :haha: "Hard to Say I'm Sorry" grew on me as I rewatched it. This would've been a lot better had she not been sick, but it was still a solid effort.

On 6/13/2024 at 8:28 PM, NGL2008 said:

I also, of course, wish that Ain't No Way had somehow happened during the voting rounds. Not a coincidence to me, though, that it was the only audition to get a Platinum Ticket while the contestant was actually there.

Is this McKenna or Julia? I didn't watch the auditions, so I'm clueless here.

EMMY RUSSELL

LYKk2EI.jpeg

POSITIVE:

Sweet tone, songwriting chops

NEGATIVE:

Not the largest range, never looked comfortable on stage

LEAST FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: SHUT UP AND DANCE

Surely, this won't be controversial…

I’ll start with the positive. She arranged the song and sang it well enough in her style. In any other scenario, this performance would have been received better. However…

I won’t sugarcoat it: she completely thumbed her nose at the theme. We can sit here and argue how bad the theme was until we’re blue in the face (and I don’t disagree for the record), but that doesn't change that the theme was dance, and some semblance of dancing should’ve been present. I can already read the rebuttals about how she’s not a dancer and how she won’t be doing this type of music anyway. The same can be said for the other contestants; heck, the only “dancer” remaining by that point was Triston. Nonetheless, they at least tried to stay true to the theme. I’m sure Abi, Will, and McKenna would’ve liked to perform with their instruments while being stationary. Emmy, on the other hand, didn’t even attempt to leave the piano and at least walk around on stage. This was the one scenario in which the “leaving the piano halfway through the performance” trope would’ve been beneficial; Katy somewhat hinted at this after the performance. The fact that she was the only one who didn’t commit to the theme made the whole thing stand out even more flagrantly. It wasn’t her worst performance (I thought “Lose You to Love Me” and “The Climb” were worse), but it was my least favorite because of everything shrouding it.

FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: COAL MINER’S DAUGHTER

What can I say: I’m easy. :haha: Seeing how dear this song is to her heart, it wasn’t a surprise this was the most confident Emmy looked throughout the season. The smartest thing she did was not imitate the original and arrange it to her style while keeping the sentiment intact. It was her and most heartfelt vocal of the season. There weren’t any glory notes or vocal gymnastics, but there didn’t need to be. A simple vocal with an enchanting melody was sufficient enough for this occasion.

To shift gears some, Emmy was kind of in a Catch-22 situation regarding the song. Something tells me there would’ve been intense reactions whether she chose this song or not. The best thing is to go with your gut and do your best in these types of situations, and I want to believe Emmy did just that.

ASIDE:

Before I get to my Emmy synopsis, I want to address the nepotism since it was one of the, if not the most, contentious topics this season. Personally, I had no problems with it. We can’t help nor control what family we’re born into. Besides, having a famous relative doesn’t always guarantee success. On Idol alone, Paris Bennett is the granddaughter of gospel legend Ann Nesby. Having famous parents didn’t help Gianna Isabella or Ava Maybee much (Brenda K. Starr and Chad Smith, respectively). There was an Osmond who auditioned in S8 but didn’t even make it through Hollywood. Heck, although I didn’t watch it, I’ve seen stories about Aretha Franklin’s granddaughter being rejected at the auditions. I won’t deny there are some benefits with this, but I see it no different than, say, someone who is physically attractive having an advantage over someone not so much.

I’m going to pivot the nepotism to a different angle. One thing to consider is these people may be well aware of their privilege and know they may be criticized for getting some advantages because of who they’re related to. Because of this, they may do something like go on a reality TV competition to show they want to make it on their own merit, without relying on their famous relatives or potential connections due to who they are related to. It wouldn’t shock me one bit if this was Emmy’s mindset when she tried out for Idol.

In conclusion, while there were some things about Emmy that are criticism worthy, her being the granddaughter of a country icon is at the bottom of my list.

Now for Emmy’s Idol synopsis:

OVERALL:

First, I’ll start by saying she can pass as Lindsay Lohan’s stunt double. :haha: As for the person herself, Emmy was not the most powerful nor technical vocalist, but it’s not the end of the world that she isn’t. Not everyone has to be a belter to be considered a good singer. What she does have is a pretty tone that can tell some incredible stories. She also appears to be an industrious songwriter, which is something she can hang her hat on. The main issue with her is that she was always nervous when performing, which negatively impacted her performances at times. There’s nothing wrong with that; some of the most experienced performers with thousands of live shows under their belts admit to hosting butterflies in their stomachs every time before taking the stage. The difference is they are good at keeping their nerves at bay. Emmy seems to wear her emotions on her sleeves and thus isn’t good at quelling her nerves. With that said, she seems to have the drive to turn this into a career, and I don’t see her stopping any time soon.

-----

TRISTON HARPER

wnf5fS5.jpeg

POSITIVE:

Intriguing voice, knows what he wants to be

NEGATIVE:

Youth and inexperience, voice still has some maturing to do

LEAST FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: LIFE IS A HIGHWAY

I was originally going to put “Easy on Me” here but upon rewatching the performances, I remember liking “Life is a Highway” even less. The song itself has become a go to for country singers, so subtract points for lack of originality. Next, the band drowned him out during most of the performance, with the chorus being the most flagrant. Lastly, the parts where he could be heard sound rough and out of tune. Overall, this was just a messy performance that did him no favors.

FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: ‘TIL YOU CAN’T

I always felt Triston was at his best when he picked songs that brought out his earnest nature. His Top 14 victory performance is a prime example of this. He sounded strong, and the old yet still youthful soul was prevalent throughout. The strongest parts were the choruses, which are not easy to sing. Although he struggled with the bigger notes later in the competition, he handled them well in this song. If he gave more performances like this and his previous two, he may have walked away with the crown. Lastly, Roman grooving and showing his support during Triston’s performance is one of my favorite moments this season.

OVERALL:

Triston was a young aspiring country singer with an old soul. Considering his background, it wasn’t surprising. He started off with three strong performances, and it looked like he was emerging as a contender for the title. Also, “H-O-P-E” is my favorite original of the season, and it showed he had the foundation of being a solid songwriter. However, after “Til You Can’t”, he began to falter. For some reason, he emphasized performing by picking more upbeat songs and gyrating on stage. It makes me wonder if someone advised him to do so. In addition, he had a bunch of questionable song choices that were either too big for him or didn’t give him a chance to showcase his voice in the brightest light. A prime example of the latter is him singing “Sand in My Boots” instead of “Humble and Kind”. In the end, his youth and inexperience caught up to him. He still has a huge upside, and hopefully he takes this experience and uses it to continue improving his craft.

• Like 1

Julia... I remember watching her performances thinking "oh yeah, she has a powerful voice" but...that's it. I just found her run forgettable, though i enjoyed "Something In The Orange" :ph34rwave:

McKenna was really good! So many great performances like "The Story", "Both Sides Now", "Iris" and "To Make You Feel My Love". The raspiness of her tone worked great with all of those song choices. "Cardigan" had potential to be a great performance as well but unfortunately she was still sick at the time. Anyway, she was easily my second favorite female contestant after Abi.

This is an unpopular opinion here but I couldn't careless if someone did or did not follow a theme. This applies to everyone to whether it would have been Will or Abi or Emmy or whoever. I think 90% of these themes are dumb and if you want to skirt the rules of a theme then you do you it won't bother me a bit. 

• Like 2

Last time i talked about Emmy, her fans surely weren't happy with what i said. I mean....fair, i guess. So, wish me luck. :haha: 

Let me start saying that i like indie girls with soft voices, and i genuinely enjoyed Emmy's audition (despite not being a great fan of the song itself :stealth:). But, idk, for some reason, i just got tired of her childish tone halfway into the competition. Like, not all, but most of her performances just started sounding the same to me. Maybe it was her nerves, like you said. Like, maybe her nerves didn't allowed her to really connect with the songs she was singing, she was probably too much into her head most of the time, and that affected negatively her performances, making them sound unconnected and monotonous.

With "Coal Miners' Daughter" tho, that's a whole other story. The whole thing sounded pure and genuine. She was feeling every word of it, instead of just singing the song. It's like she was more focused on telling a story with the song instead of trying to impress the public. Unfortunately, most of her live performances just didn't really work for me. With all of this said, she surely has potential to be a star, i can see a lot of people falling in love with her voice. 

(And there is nothing to add about the whole situation with her not following the theme, you said it all. Agreed 100%.)

Edited by Gustavo527
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Crisis said:

However, after “Til You Can’t”, he began to falter. For some reason, he emphasized performing by picking more upbeat songs and gyrating on stage. It makes me wonder if someone advised him to do so.

Did you skip all of the judges' critiques this season? Had you actually been watching them, you would have known that they were advising him to move and eventually gyrate ever since Heartbreak Hotel. This was their plan to derail Triston from winning 'cause they didn't expect him to catch on like he did and had to sabotage him so that Abi could win this season.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2