Jump to content

Crisis's S22 Catastrophic Thoughts


Crisis

Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Yeah, that is unfortunate. Not having much airtime prior to the voting rounds can be a huge handicap. With that said, some contestants were able to overcome that disadvantage and make it pretty far in the competition. I can't say for sure if Elleigh could have done so with a different song or better performance of the one she picked, but it couldn't have hurt.

Yeah the song choice didn't help since it's kinda a joke song. Maybe she makes it through with a ballad and better order slots but I guess will never know. :dead:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/24/2024 at 7:21 PM, Crisis said:

 

Sorry, it must have slipped my mind. :blushingwave: :haha: Glad to see you're intrigued.

 

His audition must have been nice if he ended up on your radar. Sorry you were disappointed with his Hawaii performance. I'm glad someone caught those football references (what do you know, I just made another one :haha:). It lets me know my efforts weren't in vain.

 

You not remembering Hailey all that much emphasizes my point in her writeup some. A lot of the voters must have felt the same way. It is interesting she appeared on Idol after her placement on TV.

 

It's okay. :blushingwave: 

 

It was! He sang a Brett Young (who I love) song on piano and had a sweet moment with his grandma. I think you should watch. :giggle: Haha I sure did catch them! 😛 

 

:yes: 

 

~~~~~~~~~

 

I don't really remember Elleigh Marie either, although I do remember that performance you linked and the boyfriend drama. I think she was fine but didn't make much impact on me. Your wink comment made me laugh a bit. :lmao: 

 

"I will unashamedly admit it: I absolutely enjoyed this! Did she butcher the song? Without question. Was a single note in tune? No, not really." :lmao: You almost have me wanting to rewatch this! Not the Pacific Ocean comment. :dead: Yeah, she sure was an interesting one. :giggle: 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, miss denise said:

 

It was! He sang a Brett Young (who I love) song on piano and had a sweet moment with his grandma. I think you should watch. :giggle: Haha I sure did catch them! 😛 

 

~~~~~~~~~

 

I don't really remember Elleigh Marie either, although I do remember that performance you linked and the boyfriend drama. I think she was fine but didn't make much impact on me. Your wink comment made me laugh a bit. :lmao: 

 

"I will unashamedly admit it: I absolutely enjoyed this! Did she butcher the song? Without question. Was a single note in tune? No, not really." :lmao: You almost have me wanting to rewatch this! Not the Pacific Ocean comment. :dead: Yeah, she sure was an interesting one. :giggle: 

 

 

OK, you pulled my arm, so I gave in and watched his audition. :giggle: I'm sure you were happy to see him sing a Brett Young song. It was a nice and tender moment with his grandmother standing with him. I don't think he would've advanced regardless, but he would've been better off singing similar to what he did in his audition instead of that Justin Bieber song.

 

As with Hailey, this comment and her lack of airtime emphasized why Elleigh didn't fare so well.

 

Since I watched Blake's audition, you have to rewatch KBlocks' disastrous masterpiece! :lmao: In all seriousness, glad to see my comments about her were amusing. :haha:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since we're now at contestants with more than one performance, I will mention my favorite and least favorite performances of theirs.

 

AJII

5b31lgm.jpeg

POSITIVE:

Powerful and unique tone to his voice, great song choices

 

NEGATIVE:

Didn’t have best enunciation, exaggerated facial expressions (though not as bad as Jack's)

 

LEAST FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: HIGHER

This was certainly a song choice that made my eyebrows pop. It was sung well, and his voice sounded strong on it. One problem, if it can be called that, is that it felt stagnant at times. This was a case where his voice carried the song with its power as Jelly Roll mentioned in the mentoring section. Also, it’s hard to do this song justice in a limited capacity because it has a lot going on in it. Having said that, Ajii did a nice job with it, and it wasn’t a poor performance. However, I had to pick my least favorite performance, and this wasn’t as interesting as the other two.

 

FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: LIKE A STONE

First, it was really cool to hear an Audioslave song on Idol. Their work is underrated and doesn’t get enough credit, IMO. With that said, Chris Cornell had one of the strongest and most unique voices there has ever been, so taking on any of his vocals is a challenge that is difficult to come out on top of. However, Ajii did a very respectable job with the song. He provided enough power and although it sounded like he struggled in some parts, they weren’t enough to detract the performance. I also loved him stomping around on stage as it made the performance even more alive. I’ll concede his other performances were better from a technical standpoint, but this was the performance I liked the most.

 

OVERALL:

Ajii was someone with a very intriguing voice and an impressive taste in music. Because of this, however, it wasn’t a surprise he didn’t advance beyond the Wild Card round. He didn’t seem to be the type of contestant the majority of the voting audience would get behind. It is unfortunate there wasn’t more of him on the show because he seemed to be capable of bringing something distinctive from the others.

 

-----

 

JENNIFER JEFFRIES

Jc5UMFm.jpeg

POSITIVE:

Tone that didn’t sound like anyone, understood who she was as an artist

 

NEGATIVE:

Tone was also polarizing, appeared to lack confidence on stage

 

LEAST FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: GRAVE DIGGER

Here is a song and artist I didn’t know about, so I listened to the original after watching Jennifer’s rendition. Sadly, Jennifer didn’t do the song justice. The main thing that stood out was the lack of power in the choruses; her voice wasn’t up to the challenge of hitting those notes. In addition, her nerves were very visible; she was shaking tremendously. One positive thing I will say is that captured the attitude and vibe of the song nicely. It’s too bad the singing didn’t match it.

 

FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: ALL I WANT

This was her best vocal of the season. She rode the melody nicely and although the nerves were still present, they weren’t as bad (for a lack of a better term) as the previous performance. Another thing that helped her was the minimal acoustic guitar arrangement. Because of this, she didn’t have to push her voice towards her upper register, which is the weakest part of her range. It also helped that the song wasn’t too vocally demanding. All in all, this was a good performance for her to go out on.

 

OVERALL:

When I first heard Jennifer’s voice, the first thing that came to mind was that she was a female Wade Cota, who I was not a fan of. However, the more I listened to her, the more I appreciated her tone. She had two things going against her. The first was her aforementioned tone. It isn’t the most unconventional nor appealing to the main voting demographic, so she needed to have some strong performances to overcome that handicap. The other was her nerves getting the better of her. They played a big role as to why her performances were on the shaky side. One thing she has going for her was as Ryan said throughout the season, her voice is her own and can be picked out from a crowd. Maybe she can use this experience to grow more as an artist.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Crisis said:

 

OK, you pulled my arm, so I gave in and watched his audition. :giggle: I'm sure you were happy to see him sing a Brett Young song. It was a nice and tender moment with his grandmother standing with him. I don't think he would've advanced regardless, but he would've been better off singing similar to what he did in his audition instead of that Justin Bieber song.

 

As with Hailey, this comment and her lack of airtime emphasized why Elleigh didn't fare so well.

 

Since I watched Blake's audition, you have to rewatch KBlocks' disastrous masterpiece! :lmao: In all seriousness, glad to see my comments about her were amusing. :haha:

 

 

Oh yay, I feel so victorious! :giggle:❤️ I hope you at least liked it better than the Hawaii performance and could see why he made it to that point. :yes: And yes, I was very happy, of course. :wub: Aww I think he could have had a chance with a different song. :( And you should also watch this moment that was alluded to in his audition. :giggle: Her reaction. :dead: 

 

 

Very true.

 

Oh nooo... but okay. 😭 :dead: *watches* Oh, that was certainly something. :lmao: That high note in the middle! I am also done by that. And Katy's response at the end. :dead:  Wow, wow, wow.

 

~~~~~~~~~

 

I really liked Ajii and would have enjoyed seeing more of him on the show. I liked his tone of voice a lot. Not really anything else to add, but I like your write-up. :yes: 

 

Unfortunately, I wasn't a fan of Jennifer. :( Her voice and style weren't for me. Your Wade Cota comparison is interesting. 😮 But yeah, I agree she was certainly unique, and I actually thought she'd make it a bit further. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I liked Jennifer and Ajii although I acknowledge Jennifer had her share of technical problems, she also had a really cool unique tone.

I liked Ajii's Higher actually, it was nice to hear him do something different and I thought it was good. I can see why someone wouldn't be a fan though.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/26/2024 at 4:32 PM, miss denise said:

 

Oh yay, I feel so victorious! :giggle:❤️ I hope you at least liked it better than the Hawaii performance and could see why he made it to that point. :yes: And yes, I was very happy, of course. :wub: Aww I think he could have had a chance with a different song. :( And you should also watch this moment that was alluded to in his audition. :giggle: Her reaction. :dead: 

 

 

 

Oh nooo... but okay. 😭 :dead: *watches* Oh, that was certainly something. :lmao: That high note in the middle! I am also done by that. And Katy's response at the end. :dead:  Wow, wow, wow.

 

~~~~~~~~~

 

I really liked Ajii and would have enjoyed seeing more of him on the show. I liked his tone of voice a lot. Not really anything else to add, but I like your write-up. :yes: 

 

Unfortunately, I wasn't a fan of Jennifer. :( Her voice and style weren't for me. Your Wade Cota comparison is interesting. 😮 But yeah, I agree she was certainly unique, and I actually thought she'd make it a bit further. 

 

 

OK, this clip of him singing in front of his Nana was cute. The "BLAAAKKEEE" and his little laughter at the end got a chuckle out of me. :yes:

 

Yes! Welcome to the dark side! :giggle:

 

Pretty much agree about Ajii.

 

Understandable about Jennifer. It didn't seem like her style would be popular amongst the primary voting demographic.

 

On 5/26/2024 at 5:47 PM, nytsch said:

I liked Jennifer and Ajii although I acknowledge Jennifer had her share of technical problems, she also had a really cool unique tone.

I liked Ajii's Higher actually, it was nice to hear him do something different and I thought it was good. I can see why someone wouldn't be a fan though.

 

Pretty much in agreement with Jennifer regarding her technical problems and tone.

 

It's not so much me disliking Higher as it is preferring his other performances over it. :yes:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

KENNEDY REID

mMOMeIl.jpeg

POSITIVE:

Set identity, looked comfortable on stage

 

NEGATIVE:

Not as vocally strong as other contestants

 

LEAST FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: SOMETHIN BAD

The main problem with this performance is the song itself. It’s something that’s more fit for a country karaoke bar than a singing competition. It doesn’t do anything to showcase someone’s vocal abilities. Kennedy’s showing was just that: something one can see in a country karaoke bar. The vocals weren’t up to par and while she looked like she had fun, the stage movement wasn’t the best. She may have gotten away with the poor song choice if it were a victory performance. However, it was especially ill-advised at that point although to be fair it is unknown if the contestants have just one song in that situation.

 

FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: FANCY

On the other hand, this was a great song choice for Kennedy. It allowed her to show off her vocal abilities and command the stage. She did a great job of progressing through the song without overdoing it. There were a few parts where it was hard to understand her, but other than that it still was a great vocal. If I had to pick my favorite part about the performance, however, it would be Lionel shockingly putting his hand on Jelly Roll’s shoulder at the “no, no, no, no, no” section. Fancy was a fun performance and the one I enjoyed the most from her.

 

OVERALL:

One thing Kennedy had going for her was she knew who she was an artist. She portrayed herself as a pop-country singer, make no mistake about it. She reminded me of a vocally stronger and more worldly Kellie Pickler. With that said, she wasn’t as vocally sound as most of the other contestants. Plus, while I don’t think she would’ve been a Wild Card pick regardless, her final song choice did her no favors. Nonetheless, she wasn’t a bad contestant and someone I enjoyed at times.

 

-----

 

MACKENZIE SOL

v5uN0mK.jpeg

POSITIVE:

Nice tone, comfortable on stage

 

NEGATIVE:

Inconsistent, tried to do too much in his performances

 

LEAST FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: I'LL NEVER LOVE AGAIN

Here is a prime example of Mackenzie doing too much. First, there was the classic start at the piano before standing up after about a third or halfway through the performance. Next, there was the all-over-the-place arrangement after the piano intro. Finally, the arrangement wasn’t the only sporadic thing. He tried to fit as many things in his voice as he could, and the result was an incohesive mess. This was a problem with “Jealous”; however, everything was exacerbated with this number.

 

FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: FALSE ALARMS

This was his best pure vocal. Other than the falsetto attempt towards the end, he minimized the bells and whistles that plagued him in his previous two performances. It appeared as if him not being voted into the Top 10 was the kick in the pants telling him he needed to take this opportunity more seriously. There weren’t too many bad notes, and it looked like he connected to the song well enough. Nevertheless, it was too little, too late for him, but at least he could hold his head up knowing he went out on his strongest performance.

 

OVERALL:

Mackenzie had a few things going for him. He had a pleasant enough tone when he didn’t push his voice too hard. In addition, his stage presence wasn’t a huge issue. Lastly, he wasn’t afraid to take chances with his arrangements and vocal styling. Unfortunately, the last point proved to be his downfall. There’s nothing wrong with taking a few liberties here and there; however, they need to have some semblance of structure or assurance they will go over well. It just wasn’t the case for him. Nonetheless, he had some things to work with should he continue to pursue music. If not, there’s always the comedy skits. :haha:

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Crisis said:

 

KENNEDY REID

mMOMeIl.jpeg

POSITIVE:

Set identity, looked comfortable on stage

 

NEGATIVE:

Not as vocally strong as other contestants

 

LEAST FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: SOMETHIN BAD

The main problem with this performance is the song itself. It’s something that’s more fit for a country karaoke bar than a singing competition. It doesn’t do anything to showcase someone’s vocal abilities. Kennedy’s showing was just that: something one can see in a country karaoke bar. The vocals weren’t up to par and while she looked like she had fun, the stage movement wasn’t the best. She may have gotten away with the poor song choice if it were a victory performance. However, it was especially ill-advised at that point although to be fair it is unknown if the contestants have just one song in that situation.

 

FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: FANCY

On the other hand, this was a great song choice for Kennedy. It allowed her to show off her vocal abilities and command the stage. She did a great job of progressing through the song without overdoing it. There were a few parts where it was hard to understand her, but other than that it still was a great vocal. If I had to pick my favorite part about the performance, however, it would be Lionel shockingly putting his hand on Jelly Roll’s shoulder at the “no, no, no, no, no” section. Fancy was a fun performance and the one I enjoyed the most from her.

 

OVERALL:

One thing Kennedy had going for her was she knew who she was an artist. She portrayed herself as a pop-country singer, make no mistake about it. She reminded me of a vocally stronger and more worldly Kellie Pickler. With that said, she wasn’t as vocally sound as most of the other contestants. Plus, while I don’t think she would’ve been a Wild Card pick regardless, her final song choice did her no favors. Nonetheless, she wasn’t a bad contestant and someone I enjoyed at times.

 

-----

 

MACKENZIE SOL

v5uN0mK.jpeg

POSITIVE:

Nice tone, comfortable on stage

 

NEGATIVE:

Inconsistent, tried to do too much in his performances

 

LEAST FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: I'LL NEVER LOVE AGAIN

Here is a prime example of Mackenzie doing too much. First, there was the classic start at the piano before standing up after about a third or halfway through the performance. Next, there was the all-over-the-place arrangement after the piano intro. Finally, the arrangement wasn’t the only sporadic thing. He tried to fit as many things in his voice as he could, and the result was an incohesive mess. This was a problem with “Jealous”; however, everything was exacerbated with this number.

 

FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: FALSE ALARMS

This was his best pure vocal. Other than the falsetto attempt towards the end, he minimized the bells and whistles that plagued him in his previous two performances. It appeared as if him not being voted into the Top 10 was the kick in the pants telling him he needed to take this opportunity more seriously. There weren’t too many bad notes, and it looked like he connected to the song well enough. Nevertheless, it was too little, too late for him, but at least he could hold his head up knowing he went out on his strongest performance.

 

OVERALL:

Mackenzie had a few things going for him. He had a pleasant enough tone when he didn’t push his voice too hard. In addition, his stage presence wasn’t a huge issue. Lastly, he wasn’t afraid to take chances with his arrangements and vocal styling. Unfortunately, the last point proved to be his downfall. There’s nothing wrong with taking a few liberties here and there; however, they need to have some semblance of structure or assurance they will go over well. It just wasn’t the case for him. Nonetheless, he had some things to work with should he continue to pursue music. If not, there’s always the comedy skits. :haha:

 


Loved your saying that if Mackenzie chose not to pursue music, he could always do comedy skits.

 

 I agree that Mackenzie should have been wiser with the risks that he took, and that Kennedy just couldn’t keep up with the other female singers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Crisis said:

 

OK, this clip of him singing in front of his Nana was cute. The "BLAAAKKEEE" and his little laughter at the end got a chuckle out of me. :yes:

 

Yes! Welcome to the dark side! :giggle:

 

 

Understandable about Jennifer. It didn't seem like her style would be popular amongst the primary voting demographic.

 

 

Hehe yes, I loved that part so much! :giggle: :lmao: She just couldn't believe it. :lmao: 

 

:dead: 

 

Ah yeah, I guess I am the primary voter. :blushingwave: :haha: 

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

I wasn't a fan of Kennedy, unfortunately. :(  However, I loved Mackenzie and he was one of my biggest favorites going into the live shows. I was so sad he didn't make it. 😢 I loved his personality and voice a lot. And fun fact, his audition was actually the very first one shown of the season. :teeheewave:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/28/2024 at 8:20 PM, CarmenSandiego said:


Loved your saying that if Mackenzie chose not to pursue music, he could always do comedy skits.

 

The few clips showed in his video packages were pretty funny. There are worse paths to choose from. :yes:

 

On 5/29/2024 at 3:44 PM, miss denise said:

 

Ah yeah, I guess I am the primary voter. :blushingwave: :haha: 

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

I wasn't a fan of Kennedy, unfortunately. :(  However, I loved Mackenzie and he was one of my biggest favorites going into the live shows. I was so sad he didn't make it. 😢 I loved his personality and voice a lot. And fun fact, his audition was actually the very first one shown of the season. :teeheewave:

 

giphy.webp

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

Fair about Kennedy. Pretty cool that Mackenzie's audition was the first one shown. It's too bad he didn't do enough to advance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ODELL BUNTON JR

jexbjyV.jpeg

POSITIVE:

Powerful and soulful voice, interesting song choices

 

NEGATIVE:

Kind of awkward stage presence

 

LEAST FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: UPTOWN FUNK

This has to do more with the song than Odell’s vocals. “Uptown Funk” is more of a performance song than a singing one, which is why it worked well for Qaasim Middleton in S14. However, there were still some faults with his singing. The chorus lacked the vibe and swagger it’s known for. Also, he seemed to be out of breath during the bridge, which probably had to do with his movement. Having said that, he sounded strong in some parts, plus he did a great job of entertaining the crowd. Nonetheless, this was my least favorite effort from him.

 

FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: THE DOOR

I may or may not do a list of my favorite S22 moments at the end. If I decide to do so, however, one of them was Teddy Swims vibing with the other hopefuls as Odell sang his song. This was a better choice than “Uptown Funk” because it allowed him to display the impressive soul in his voice. He did a great job of building up the song to where it ended on a very strong and gospel-like note. In addition, his stage presence was much better than the awkward movements during “Uptown Funk”. Not only was “The Door” my favorite performance of his, but it was also one of my favorite S22 performances in general.

 

OVERALL:

Odell was a very robust singer who didn’t just limit himself to the gospel box. In addition, he had my favorite voice of the three gospel singers this season. However, what may have hurt him was returning to his gospel roots for his Wild Card performance. On one hand, I understand why he did it because it’s natural to revert to the most comfortable position when survival is at stake. On the other hand, because although “Wait On You” is a gospel anthem, it may have not been the most fitting song choice for that situation. Regardless, he was someone who I wouldn’t have minded seeing more from. The last thing I’ll mention is one of the unintentionally funniest moments of the season was Mackenzie congratulating him thinking he would be the last Wild Card pick. I know Mackenzie was trying to show support, but man was that hilariously awkward. :haha:

 

-----

QUINTAVIOUS

BMOhRF0.jpeg

POSITIVE:

Strong gospel voice

 

NEGATIVE:

Overdid it at times

 

LEAST FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: MAKE IT HAPPEN

“Make It Happen” is one of my favorite Mariah Carey songs, so I watched to see how Quintavious handled the song. Sadly, he dropped the ball on multiple occasions. For starters, the beginning was too low; I barely heard him over the arrangement. Next, he didn’t even sing in any of the choruses although they are tricky with how fast and wordy they are. Lastly, his running around on stage was too much and detracted from his vocals. The bright spots were the bridge and the high note he hit at the end. I wanted to like this more than I did, but there were too many blights for that to happen.

 

FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: HOLLOW

First, I felt the disappointment emanating from Tori when Quintavious decided to sing “Something In The Water” in Hawaii over “Hollow” after practically begging him to sing her song. Although I think “Hollow” is the superior song and “Something In The Water” is not one of my favorite Carrie songs, I don’t blame him in a way for not singing the latter then because as I’ve said before, it’s difficult to sing someone’s song in their presence. As for the performance, this was a vocal tour de force for him. He started at the top and maintained his power to the end, which is not easy by any means. Could the performance have benefited from him gradually building it up in lieu of going full blast the whole time? Sure. However, this was still a performance I enjoyed from him.

 

OVERALL:

As with Hailey, it appears Quintavious was in another TV competition prior to Idol. In his case, it was America’s Got Talent, in which he placed fifth. As for his time on Idol, he was a vocal powerhouse who could hang with almost anyone in that department and as his little brother told him, “he sings good”. If I had something to critique about him, it was him having slightly weaker traits than the other two gospel singers. Moreover, his final performance didn’t do him any favors. That doesn’t mean he was a poor contestant, however. He was up against some stiff competition and may have fared better in another season.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember a lot of people thought Odell would get the PV and I think he had a shot if not for that song choice, it wasn’t known enough, he should’ve gone for an old R&B/soul song something like his audition. Or maybe they just gave him that song because Teddy was the mentor and someone had to promote his music lol

 

I liked Quintavious’ Make It Happen tbh but overall his style wasn’t really for me, he was good though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/30/2024 at 7:39 PM, Crisis said:

 

giphy.webp

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

Fair about Kennedy. Pretty cool that Mackenzie's audition was the first one shown. It's too bad he didn't do enough to advance.

 

:lmao: 

 

😢 

 

I really liked Odell a lot and would have enjoyed seeing more of him. :(  His voice is so great, and that performance of "The Door" is outstanding. 😮 I just rewatched as I read your thoughts and wow. :clap: I didn't mind the "Uptown Funk" either, but yeah he was definitely way more in the zone with the other one.  :yes: I love the clips of Teddy Swims too. And lol I also noticed the Mackenzie moment. 😭 

 

I agree with pretty much everything on this first Quintavious performance. :haha: LOL at not even singing on the chorus. Poor Tori when he rejected her song choice after she asked him to. bye2.gif.7960d44992e1eeff806cdce1d9856c2 At least he did it eventually and yeah, this was really good. I did like him and his voice as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, miss denise said:

lol I also noticed the Mackenzie moment. 😭 

I think the worst part is that it seems he heard Katy say "It's a man's world" and confused him for Roman. 💀

 

Even with some iffy song choices, Odell's voice was far too versatile to get kicked out that early and he could've afforded to stick around with the other Platinum Queens.

 

(I can also confirm that Liliana, Miss Immediately-gets-compared-to-Taylor Swift, dropped out around Hollywood and that Elleigh could not have therefore been a replacement.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Ajii - I also really enjoyed him and wish he could've made it further. Similar to Kayko, his style of music was a breath of fresh air among this season's contestants. Definitely my favorite semifinalist.

 

Jennifer - No thanks, she was way out of her depth. Unique tone doesn't mean zilch if you lack charisma and stage presence.

 

Kennedy - Love Can Build a Bridge was really good, but the other two performances were pure country karaoke, as you said. I wasn't crying foul that she left when she did.

 

Mackenzie - I'm not mad about him tbh. He was cute and didn't overstay his welcome. As someone who watched X Factor UK, that video clip of him crashing his mother's audition will live in my brain rent free for the rest of my days. :haha: It's hysterical that they showed Sharon Osbourne but NOT Simon Cowell.

 

Odell - I echo your thoughts here, pretty much. "The Door" was great and he should've advanced based on that. I also agree that he was better than the other two male gospel singers (both of whom I thought were hopeless with song selection).

 

Quinatvious - He was decent. Not as good as Odell, but his voice didn't irritate me like Roman's. Thanks for the AGT tidbit, interesting trivia that I wasn't aware of.

Edited by Weedy_Speedy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/31/2024 at 6:28 AM, nytsch said:

I remember a lot of people thought Odell would get the PV and I think he had a shot if not for that song choice, it wasn’t known enough, he should’ve gone for an old R&B/soul song something like his audition. Or maybe they just gave him that song because Teddy was the mentor and someone had to promote his music lol

 

I liked Quintavious’ Make It Happen tbh but overall his style wasn’t really for me, he was good though.

 

Interesting theory about the song choice possibly costing him the PV. 🤔 He still sang it well enough for the PV regardless, but it wasn't meant to be.

 

Fair enough about Quintavious.

 

On 5/31/2024 at 9:21 PM, miss denise said:

I really liked Odell a lot and would have enjoyed seeing more of him. :(  His voice is so great, and that performance of "The Door" is outstanding. 😮 I just rewatched as I read your thoughts and wow. :clap: I didn't mind the "Uptown Funk" either, but yeah he was definitely way more in the zone with the other one.  :yes: I love the clips of Teddy Swims too. And lol I also noticed the Mackenzie moment. 😭 

 

I agree with pretty much everything on this first Quintavious performance. :haha: LOL at not even singing on the chorus. Poor Tori when he rejected her song choice after she asked him to. bye2.gif.7960d44992e1eeff806cdce1d9856c2 At least he did it eventually and yeah, this was really good. I did like him and his voice as well. 

 

Agree about your thoughts on "The Door". Understandable about "Uptown Funk". That Mackenzie moment sure was something. :haha:

 

Pretty much echo your thoughts about Quintavious. Him rejecting her song had to be an ego crusher. At least he sang the song albeit not in her presence. :yes:

 

On 6/1/2024 at 7:46 AM, NGL2008 said:

I think the worst part is that it seems he heard Katy say "It's a man's world" and confused him for Roman. 💀

 

Even with some iffy song choices, Odell's voice was far too versatile to get kicked out that early and he could've afforded to stick around with the other Platinum Queens.

 

If so, that makes the whole thing even more hilarious. 💀 :lmao:

 

Not much disagreement here. :yes:

 

20 hours ago, Weedy_Speedy said:

Ajii - I also really enjoyed him and wish he could've made it further. Similar to Kayko, his style of music was a breath of fresh air among this season's contestants. Definitely my favorite semifinalist.

 

Jennifer - No thanks, she was way out of her depth. Unique tone doesn't mean zilch if you lack charisma and stage presence.

 

Kennedy - Love Can Build a Bridge was really good, but the other two performances were pure country karaoke, as you said. I wasn't crying foul that she left when she did.

 

Mackenzie - I'm not mad about him tbh. He was cute and didn't overstay his welcome. As someone who watched X Factor UK, that video clip of him crashing his mother's audition will live in my brain rent free for the rest of my days. :haha: It's hysterical that they showed Sharon Osbourne but NOT Simon Cowell.

 

Odell - I echo your thoughts here, pretty much. "The Door" was great and he should've advanced based on that. I also agree that he was better than the other two male gospel singers (both of whom I thought were hopeless with song selection).

 

Quinatvious - He was decent. Not as good as Odell, but his voice didn't irritate me like Roman's. Thanks for the AGT tidbit, interesting trivia that I wasn't aware of.

 

Pretty much echo the thoughts about Ajii.

 

Not much disagreement about Jennifer. She wasn't ready for that kind of setting.

 

Not much to say except no arguments about Kennedy.

 

I forgot to mention the clip of Mackenzie crashing his mother's audition in the X Factor. :haha: Him saying he was a good singer and pointing out how big he was when Sharon Osbourne told him he needed to be at least sixteen had me in stitches. 💀 He showed his comedy gift from an early age.

 

Pretty much agree about Odell.

 

Not much disagreement about Quintavious.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JORDAN ANTHONY

yuTGfb4.jpeg

POSITIVE:

Solid tone, inspirational story

 

NEGATIVE:

Not the greatest when it comes to song or stylistic choices

 

LEAST FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: I WANNA DANCE WITH SOMEBODY (WHO LOVES ME)

There are some songs that can be drastically altered but can still work. This one, however, is not one of them. It is an upbeat and optimistic dance number that should stay that way. The more mellow and acoustic verse drained the song’s atmosphere and while it picked up when the chorus went up-tempo, the damage was already done. Slowing this song down didn’t work for MacKenzie Bourg in S15, and it’s the same case here.

 

FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: TITANIUM

This one landed here by default because to be honest, it was difficult for me to get into any of his performances, even upon rewatching them. It was easy to see how much this song meant to him because it was the one where he felt the most connected. Hence, while there were some issues such as not having enough power in the choruses, this was his best vocal of the season. He may have fared better if he gave more of these types of performances.

 

OVERALL:

Here is someone else who fared better on another singing show. In Jordan’s case, it’s TV AUS where he placed fourth. Jordan was someone who had some good vocal abilities and a pleasant enough tone. Also, kudos to him for working hard to shed all that weight. The main problem was outside of “Titanium”, he didn’t seem too confident in his own abilities. He held back a lot and never got comfortable enough to really let his voice loose. Another thing that hindered him was his song choices didn’t really do him any favors, for they handicapped him in some form or another. With that said, he is still young enough to grow in certain areas, so all is not lost for him.

 

----

 

NYA

2wkixd4.jpeg

POSITIVE:

Strong voice, confident on stage

 

NEGATIVE:

Oversang at times, style may not have fared well with main voting demographic

 

LEAST FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: THE BEST

The main reason this performances lands here is due to the arrangement. It starts off too slow in the beginning and negatively impacted her vocal. I understand she tried to build the song up at a gradual pace, but the jump to the faster paced chorus was too big. As for the singing, the verses were fine, but the chorus sounded like she struggled to get through it. Hence, “The Best” is the one Nya performance I didn’t care for.

 

FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: GEORGIA ON MY MIND

“Georgia On My Mind” is a soul classic that has been performed plenty of times on Idol. Nya’s rendition is one of the better ones. It was the lone performance in which she mostly sang the song straight. Admittedly I preferred the first half to the second, but the latter wasn’t completely overdone, plus she ended it on a softer run. At the end of the day, she made her late father proud with this performance.

 

MOST UNDERRATED PERFORMANCE: WATER

Here we have the first underrated performance. This one was panned some although it mostly had to do with the song and not Nya’s abilities. While the song isn’t a great one to showcase any vocal prowess and although there were a few notes that got away from her towards the end, I thought she did a great job with it. She brought the right attitude and sensuality to it (it doesn’t hurt that she’s absolutely stunning). It may not have been the best song in that situation, but the performance was something that was better than given credit for.

 

OVERALL:

It appears her full name is Nyachomba Muchai-Kinya; now I see why she goes by just Nya. :haha: Nya was a powerful singer who was assured and graceful on stage. She was the only contestant who was capable of bringing any sensuality on stage, which also may have been a strike (albeit a weak one, IMO) against her. The primary voters seem to prefer their female contestants to be more of a relatable girl-next-door type, and Nya didn’t fit that bill. In addition, she came across as theatrical and cabaret, which makes sense since she’s a Broadway performer. In the past, that was considered a slam, but now it’s more accepted seeing that plenty of Idol alums have done and made careers out of performing on Broadway and in other musical theater shows. I wouldn’t have minded seeing more of her in more ways than one, but I knew her time on the show would be somewhat short.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

nya was the first cut from lives shows that i really felt sad about. i think she def deserved to go further than she did. georgia on my mind and say a little prayer were my favs from her. but her audition was prob her best songchoice all season (love me some willow smith)! 

 

jordan is a rare case of a voice maturing not turning out for the best. his tone back when he was an early teen on the voice aus was gorgeous but it lost all its clarity and resonance now that he went thru puberty. 

Edited by wildestinvegas
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Jordan - I actually really liked his voice, and wish I liked his performances more than I did. Attention was his best in my opinion, but When the Party's Over was good too. I think he lost out mainly because this season was honestly stacked, and like you mentioned, he also dealt with confidence issues. Gene Simmons tried to help him with the latter, but there's only so much you can do with one celebrity mentor session. The Whitney song choice was such a bad idea that if I didn't know better, I'd think it was sabotage on the part of producers--but in that case, why wildcard him to begin with? So, I think it was Jordan's idea and it just didn't pan out.

 

Nya - Thank you! Literally the first word I thought of when I watched her was cabaret--and if that's not a slam these days, then it should be because it creates a disconnect with the audience. She also chose songs like she was competing on AI 20 years ago. Water was her best, and I guess she deserved to advance based on that, but she absolutely left at the correct time. Good broadway performer, not an American Idol.

Edited by Weedy_Speedy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Crisis said:

 

JORDAN ANTHONY

yuTGfb4.jpeg

POSITIVE:

Solid tone, inspirational story

 

NEGATIVE:

Not the greatest when it comes to song or stylistic choices

 

LEAST FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: I WANNA DANCE WITH SOMEBODY (WHO LOVES ME)

There are some songs that can be drastically altered but can still work. This one, however, is not one of them. It is an upbeat and optimistic dance number that should stay that way. The more mellow and acoustic verse drained the song’s atmosphere and while it picked up when the chorus went up-tempo, the damage was already done. Slowing this song down didn’t work for MacKenzie Bourg in S15, and it’s the same case here.

 

FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: TITANIUM

This one landed here by default because to be honest, it was difficult for me to get into any of his performances, even upon rewatching them. It was easy to see how much this song meant to him because it was the one where he felt the most connected. Hence, while there were some issues such as not having enough power in the choruses, this was his best vocal of the season. He may have fared better if he gave more of these types of performances.

 

OVERALL:

Here is someone else who fared better on another singing show. In Jordan’s case, it’s TV AUS where he placed fourth. Jordan was someone who had some good vocal abilities and a pleasant enough tone. Also, kudos to him for working hard to shed all that weight. The main problem was outside of “Titanium”, he didn’t seem too confident in his own abilities. He held back a lot and never got comfortable enough to really let his voice loose. Another thing that hindered him was his song choices didn’t really do him any favors, for they handicapped him in some form or another. With that said, he is still young enough to grow in certain areas, so all is not lost for him.

 

----

 

NYA

2wkixd4.jpeg

POSITIVE:

Strong voice, confident on stage

 

NEGATIVE:

Oversang at times, style may not have fared well with main voting demographic

 

LEAST FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: THE BEST

The main reason this performances lands here is due to the arrangement. It starts off too slow in the beginning and negatively impacted her vocal. I understand she tried to build the song up at a gradual pace, but the jump to the faster paced chorus was too big. As for the singing, the verses were fine, but the chorus sounded like she struggled to get through it. Hence, “The Best” is the one Nya performance I didn’t care for.

 

FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: GEORGIA ON MY MIND

“Georgia On My Mind” is a soul classic that has been performed plenty of times on Idol. Nya’s rendition is one of the better ones. It was the lone performance in which she mostly sang the song straight. Admittedly I preferred the first half to the second, but the latter wasn’t completely overdone, plus she ended it on a softer run. At the end of the day, she made her late father proud with this performance.

 

MOST UNDERRATED PERFORMANCE: WATER

Here we have the first underrated performance. This one was panned some although it mostly had to do with the song and not Nya’s abilities. While the song isn’t a great one to showcase any vocal prowess and although there were a few notes that got away from her towards the end, I thought she did a great job with it. She brought the right attitude and sensuality to it (it doesn’t hurt that she’s absolutely stunning). It may not have been the best song in that situation, but the performance was something that was better than given credit for.

 

OVERALL:

It appears her full name is Nyachomba Muchai-Kinya; now I see why she goes by just Nya. :haha: Nya was a powerful singer who was assured and graceful on stage. She was the only contestant who was capable of bringing any sensuality on stage, which also may have been a strike (albeit a weak one, IMO) against her. The primary voters seem to prefer their female contestants to be more of a relatable girl-next-door type, and Nya didn’t fit that bill. In addition, she came across as theatrical and cabaret, which makes sense since she’s a Broadway performer. In the past, that was considered a slam, but now it’s more accepted seeing that plenty of Idol alums have done and made careers out of performing on Broadway and in other musical theater shows. I wouldn’t have minded seeing more of her in more ways than one, but I knew her time on the show would be somewhat short.

 


Jordan’s main problem was that he wasn’t good enough to get very far, and song selection undoubtedly played a role, especially on his final performance.

 

Sadly, I said earlier that Nya just wasn’t someone who could appeal to the white, conservative, middle aged women who were the show’s voting demographic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nya gave some stellar performances! “Wait a Minute”, “Georgia on My Mind”, “Water” and “I Say a Little Prayer” were all slays. She defs should’ve lasted a little longer based on talent alone!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jordan's WTPO was terrible and I didn't think Attention was much better, puzzling that he got the WC after that. I honestly liked his Whitney cover better than those 2 but I had no problem with him leaving by then.

 

Nya's Water may be one of those performances I just don't "get" - I actually liked The Best a lot along with Say a Little Prayer. Her tone was sometimes too much for me in the upper part but I would've liked to see her for a few more weeks at least.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nya's problem is that her target demographic was just too niche. It wasn't just minivan that didn't care for her a lot of people weren't feeling her so honestly she's lucky she made it as far as she did.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't have many thoughts on Jordan or Nya. :blushingwave: They both have good voices but didn't do much for me. It is interesting how many contestants placed on other competition shows prior to coming on Idol though... And wow, Nya's full name is so long. :shock: :lmao: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...