Crisis's S22 Catastrophic Thoughts

Crisis

4 hours ago, wildestinvegas said:

nya was the first cut from lives shows that i really felt sad about. i think she def deserved to go further than she did. georgia on my mind and say a little prayer were my favs from her. but her audition was prob her best songchoice all season (love me some willow smith)! 

jordan is a rare case of a voice maturing not turning out for the best. his tone back when he was an early teen on the voice aus was gorgeous but it lost all its clarity and resonance now that he went thru puberty. 

I wouldn't have minded if she went further, but I knew that wasn't going to happen. She gave some solid performances during her time on the show at least. I've read so much about her audition, so I watched it and now understand why it's highly regarded. :yes:

I watched Jordan's audition and a couple of performances from his time on TV Australia and came away with the same opinion. His voice definitely took a turn for the worst after hitting puberty. While he still has a nice voice, he sounded way better then than he does now.

4 hours ago, Weedy_Speedy said:

Jordan - I actually really liked his voice, and wish I liked his performances more than I did. Attention was his best in my opinion, but When the Party's Over was good too. I think he lost out mainly because this season was honestly stacked, and like you mentioned, he also dealt with confidence issues. Gene Simmons tried to help him with the latter, but there's only so much you can do with one celebrity mentor session. The Whitney song choice was such a bad idea that if I didn't know better, I'd think it was sabotage on the part of producers--but in that case, why wildcard him to begin with? So, I think it was Jordan's idea and it just didn't pan out.

Nya - Thank you! Literally the first word I thought of when I watched her was cabaret--and if that's not a slam these days, then it should be because it creates a disconnect with the audience. She also chose songs like she was competing on AI 20 years ago. Water was her best, and I guess she deserved to advance based on that, but she absolutely left at the correct time. Good broadway performer, not an American Idol.

One of the best moments was Gene Simmons telling him to leave and come back with more confidence after he walked into the mentoring session with his head down. It's not something that can improve overnight, so it wasn't going to get better for him on the show. If the Whitney song was his idea, it may have been benefited him if someone steered him away from the song and pick something else.

I enjoy some cabaret now and then, but yeah I can't argue with it not being fitting for this audience. Still, it was solid and enjoyable cabaret to say the least.

3 hours ago, CarmenSandiego said:

Jordan’s main problem was that he wasn’t good enough to get very far, and song selection undoubtedly played a role, especially on his final performance.

Sadly, I said earlier that Nya just wasn’t someone who could appeal to the white, conservative, middle aged women who were the show’s voting demographic.

Maybe, but there have been worse singers than Jordan who've made it further in the competition. He just happened to be in a season with a lot of talent and perhaps more interesting contestants.

Can't disagree with this. She went as far as she could go based on the reasoning.

3 hours ago, jarmon said:

Nya gave some stellar performances! “Wait a Minute”, “Georgia on My Mind”, “Water” and “I Say a Little Prayer” were all slays. She defs should’ve lasted a little longer based on talent alone!

Don't disagree, but it wasn't surprising she left when she did.

3 hours ago, nytsch said:

Jordan's WTPO was terrible and I didn't think Attention was much better, puzzling that he got the WC after that. I honestly liked his Whitney cover better than those 2 but I had no problem with him leaving by then.

Nya's Water may be one of those performances I just don't "get" - I actually liked The Best a lot along with Say a Little Prayer. Her tone was sometimes too much for me in the upper part but I would've liked to see her for a few more weeks at least.

Him getting a WC spot after "Attention" was rather interesting, although I admit I was amused at the reactions when it happened. :haha: Speaking of which, Jayna and Nya were fine, but I would've picked Ajii and Odell over him and Roman. Fair enough about preferring the Whitney song over the other two.

Fair enough about "Water"; it's one of those performances that doesn't appeal to everyone. I can't agree with The Best, but Say A Little Prayer was an enjoyable performance. I alluded to her upper register when I mentioned she oversang at times; however, it wasn't as bad as some of the others, including one who will show up in the next set.

3 hours ago, QueenKalie said:

Nya's problem is that her target demographic was just too niche. It wasn't just minivan that didn't care for her a lot of people weren't feeling her so honestly she's lucky she made it as far as she did.

Not much disagreement here.

1 hour ago, miss denise said:

I don't have many thoughts on Jordan or Nya. :blushingwave: They both have good voices but didn't do much for me. It is interesting how many contestants placed on other competition shows prior to coming on Idol though... And wow, Nya's full name is so long. :shock: :lmao: 

Fair enough about Jordan and Nya. Having this many contestants who appeared in other shows competing this season is rather interesting. In fact, there's at least one more who will be appearing soon. :yes: Her name is certainly a mouthful. :lmao:

Well, I think that's everyone. :haha: This is the busiest this thread has been thus far. :haha: We're getting to some of the more popular contestants, so who knows what will happen. Admittedly, there is one coming up that somewhat intimidates me, but I have to be me and go through with it. 😬 :haha:

36 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Maybe, but there have been worse singers than Jordan who've made it further in the competition. He just happened to be in a season with a lot of talent and perhaps more interesting contestants.

Can't disagree with this. She went as far as she could go based on the reasoning.

Him getting a WC spot after "Attention" was rather interesting, although I admit I was amused at the reactions when it happened. :haha: Speaking of which, Jayna and Nya were fine, but I would've picked Ajii and Odell over him and Roman.

Well, I think that's everyone. :haha: This is the busiest this thread has been thus far. :haha: We're getting to some of the more popular contestants, so who knows what will happen. Admittedly, there is one coming up that somewhat intimidates me, but I have to be me and go through with it. 😬 :haha:

Yeah, Jordan’s being in a season so stacked with much more talent probably hurt him as well.

I think that Roman got in over Odell because he was improving, while Odell began at the top and when you begin at the top, it’s very hard to sustain the momentum. I agree that Odell or Ajii should have gotten in ahead of Jordan, but Jordan is cute and I believe that Katy pushed for him so she could drool over him.  Unfortunately, she could only drool over him for one more round.

looking forward to read your thoughts about the next two contestants (assuming we’re going by order and it’s gonna be roman and jayna)….. they both should’ve made to top 10 over some people that got there IMO. especially jayna. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Ajii - one of my favourites in terms of tone and song selection. I really liked his soul/rock fusion vibe he had going on. Wish he made it further, if only to see what else he would have sang.

Jennifer - probably the most unique (and polarizing) tone of the season. J

Ithink I'm one of the few on here who really enjoyed it. But she was  one of the weaker vocalists on a technical level, so I wasn't too upset to see her leave.

Makenzie - if you're going to oversing, at the very least, execute it. My problem is it sounded like a mess most of the time. Unlike others you could argue as oversingers (quintavious, Roman) who at least executed on a technical level. Shame cause his tone is really nice.

Jordan - yeah I don't know. Honestly I think he was picking songs too big for him. It's unfortunate because those were songs he could probably sing when he was younger and his voice was more underdeveloped. (Based on his Voice performances)

Nya - I'm actually surprised she made it as far as she did. Her arrangements of some overdone songs were a bit hit and miss for me. But I appreciated that she at least made them interesting. I kinda lost interest in her for that reason though. She auditioned with a fairly modern rnb song and I thought that was the route she'd take. Oh well.

Odell - definitely should have advanced. Was one of the best singers in the competition, but we all know the best singers rarely make it far and that there's more to it than pure vocals. I will say, out of the 3 gospel singers he didn't really stand out as much as the comp progressed. Didn't have the stage presence and passion of Roman, nor the vocal range of Quintavious. That said, if it was up to me, all 3 would have made it further than they ended up going.

Edited by Hsamid

14 hours ago, Hsamid said:

Ajii - one of my favourites in terms of tone and song selection. I really liked his soul/rock fusion vibe he had going on. Wish he made it further, if only to see what else he would have sang.

Jennifer - probably the most unique (and polarizing) tone of the season. J

Ithink I'm one of the few on here who really enjoyed it. But she was  one of the weaker vocalists on a technical level, so I wasn't too upset to see her leave.

Makenzie - if you're going to oversing, at the very least, execute it. My problem is it sounded like a mess most of the time. Unlike others you could argue as oversingers (quintavious, Roman) who at least executed on a technical level. Shame cause his tone is really nice.

Jordan - yeah I don't know. Honestly I think he was picking songs too big for him. It's unfortunate because those were songs he could probably sing when he was younger and his voice was more underdeveloped. (Based on his Voice performances)

Nya - I'm actually surprised she made it as far as she did. Her arrangements of some overdone songs were a bit hit and miss for me. But I appreciated that she at least made them interesting. I kinda lost interest in her for that reason though. She auditioned with a fairly modern rnb song and I thought that was the route she'd take. Oh well.

Odell - definitely should have advanced. Was one of the best singers in the competition, but we all know the best singers rarely make it far and that there's more to it than pure vocals. I will say, out of the 3 gospel singers he didn't really stand out as much as the comp progressed. Didn't have the stage presence and passion of Roman, nor the vocal range of Quintavious. That said, if it was up to me, all 3 would have made it further than they ended up going.

Pretty much echo the sentiments about Ajii.

Not much disagreement about Jennifer. Her tone grew on me some after not being much of a fan of it.

Can't say I disagree about Mackenzie.

I can see Jordan picking songs that were too big for him. He may have been better off with different songs.

Fair enough about Nya. She seems to be polarizing, though not as much as others (some who are coming up soon).

Fair enough about Odell. He had one of the best voices but maybe lacked other qualities. Still would've liked to see more from him.

• Like 1

JAYNA ELISE

Jxtng1D.jpeg

POSITIVE:

Strong voice, great stage presence

NEGATIVE:

Struggled with song choices at the end

LEAST FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: I HAVE NOTHING

I will start off by saying Jayna never gave a bad performance, IMO. Nonetheless, this ranks at the bottom not because of the hackneyed and overdone song choice, but because it was her least interesting albeit well done vocal. With that said, this may be unpopular, but I don’t think “Best Of You” was a great choice either. Songs like “Everlong”, “Learn To Fly”, or “The Pretender” would have been better choices if she wanted to sing something from the Foo Fighters. As for this one, there isn’t much to say.

FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: ALL I WANTED

This one was hard because I wrestled between two performances for this spot. They were “My All” and “All I Wanted”. While the former was the better performance, the latter was the stronger vocal. In this case, the vocal won out although I was tempted to cop out and declare a tie. :haha: To be honest, I wasn’t much of a fan of this at first; however, it grew one me the more I rewatched it. The way her voice simmered before it boiled over and splashed all over the room was a sight to behold. She left nothing to chance and sang knowing her survival depended on it, and her effort was rewarded with a coveted WC spot.

OVERALL:

So, Jayna was someone who auditioned in the previous season but fell short of the voting rounds. Clearly, her luck was better this time around. Also, it was cute to learn she was a part of Kidz Bop. :haha: She was a dynamic vocalist who had this incredible magnetism while on stage. The first thing that came to mind while watching “Confident” was she reminded me of a vocally stronger Katyrah Love. Also, an argument can be made for her being the most stylish contestant regarding looks and outfits. Unfortunately, she at times came across as an old school contestant, though not as much as others (including one who will come up soon). In addition, her song choices weren’t the most inspiring, especially after the WC round (though I loved the sentiment and reason behind “Diamonds”). Having said that, she was an interesting contestant who had her moments, and someone who I wouldn’t have minded seeing more of.

-----

ROMAN COLLINS

aLzS6hz.jpeg

POSITIVE:

Strong voice, clear musical identity

NEGATIVE:

Overdid it on stage a lot

LEAST FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: ROAR

It was between this and “How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)” for my least favorite Roman performance. In the end, “Roar” won, or in this case, lost out. It didn’t start off too poorly; the parts when he was at the piano were nice. However, the performance nosedived once he left the piano. The runs and the improvising at the end didn’t work. In addition, the gospel-like arrangement did him no favors. It’s a shame because the performance had potential to be better than it was. With that said, one of the highlights was Quintavious bouncing up and down and cheering him (Roman) on from the audience. :lmao:

FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: NEVER WOULD HAVE MADE IT

What is there to say other than this was Roman doing what he does best. It was a passionate rendition of a beloved gospel number. Seeing that it’s normal in gospel music to oversing and bounce around on stage for a lack of a better term, it wasn’t as bothersome as some of the other performances. Heck, it was one of his least chaotic performances in addition to being his best overall vocal. Lastly, him giving this performance after his pre-performance video of his father preaching about him overcoming a diabetic coma at three years old made a strong connection when it’s all said and done. :yes:

OVERALL:

Roman was my least favorite of the three gospel singers. He was Joshua Ledet 2.0 except not as strong vocally and even more dramatic on stage. There were numerous times where I rolled my eyes and wished he just sang a song straight. Having said that, he was unapologetic about who he was and heeded Jelly Roll’s advice of being himself, and that’s something I can respect. He also appeared to be supportive of his fellow contestants; one of my favorite moments was him vibing and singing along during Triston’s performance after the latter was voted into the Top 10. Lastly, his duet with CeCe Winans during the finale was one of my favorite performances that evening. Although I wasn’t all that high on him, he is immensely talented and has the potential to have a bright future.

• Like 1

Jayna's a tricky one for sure. First off, I totally agree that she wins the style award for this season. From a talent standpoint, I thought she was a really good pop singer, but I wasn't feeling the attempts to channel her inner diva. I'm not really sure what else she could have done, though? :unsure: Her voice lacks character and distinction imo, so as talented as Jayna is, her ceiling was never really high for American Idol. She's a good singer, though. Definitely could have lasted an extra week or two.

I also liken Roman to a second-rate Joshua Ledet, and considering that I'm far from Joshua's #1 fan... lol oy. Roman's tone was too rough and his singing was too over-the-top for me. He could've been left behind in the wildcard round for all I care. I've heard good things about his finale duet though, so maybe I'll look it up sometime soon.

Posted (edited)

- Roman Collins

Shame he ended his run on his only poor vocal of the season. Otherwise, he might just be my favourite of the season. Love the arrangements, his musical ear (would take a vocal in unexpected places). I didn't love every choice he made, but his performances always caught my attention from a vocal standpoint. Even though he was doing a lot, it rarely felt like "too much" to me. Probably my personal favourite of the 3 gospel singers.

- Jayna

Arguably the best singer in the competition. She took on some gargantuan songs, and while I don't think she did justice to every single one (mostly cause of the high standards of the original), I doubt anyone else in the competition could have done a better job. Just like Roman, really liked a lot of her musical choices. Did her best to make some overdone songs more fresh. Agreed about the song choices though

Again, if it were up to me, these 2 would have made it very far. But it is what it is.

Edited by Hsamid

Jayna absolutely killed All I Wanted, I thought My All was one of her weaker efforts but it's a really hard song so that's understandable. Diamonds was a bad song choice though (I think only La'Porsha has given a memorable version)

Roman was too over the top for me as well but there were a couple times where I thought that style fit the song (You're All I Need to Get By stands out). Either way he's a great vocalist, just can't say I was too sad at his elimination.

On 6/3/2024 at 8:14 PM, Weedy_Speedy said:

Jayna's a tricky one for sure. First off, I totally agree that she wins the style award for this season. From a talent standpoint, I thought she was a really good pop singer, but I wasn't feeling the attempts to channel her inner diva. I'm not really sure what else she could have done, though? :unsure: Her voice lacks character and distinction imo, so as talented as Jayna is, her ceiling was never really high for American Idol. She's a good singer, though. Definitely could have lasted an extra week or two.

I also liken Roman to a second-rate Joshua Ledet, and considering that I'm far from Joshua's #1 fan... lol oy. Roman's tone was too rough and his singing was too over-the-top for me. He could've been left behind in the wildcard round for all I care. I've heard good things about his finale duet though, so maybe I'll look it up sometime soon.

I can see the points about Jayna's voice lacking character and distinction now that I think about it. It is difficult to tell if it's her voice if one isn't looking at her. Still, she was a good singer and one of the more interesting contestants.

I don't have much to say about Roman except there isn't much disagreement although I didn't mind Joshua all that much during S11.

On 6/3/2024 at 8:26 PM, Hsamid said:

- Roman Collins

Shame he ended his run on his only poor vocal of the season. Otherwise, he might just be my favourite of the season. Love the arrangements, his musical ear (would take a vocal in unexpected places). I didn't love every choice he made, but his performances always caught my attention from a vocal standpoint. Even though he was doing a lot, it rarely felt like "too much" to me. Probably my personal favourite of the 3 gospel singers.

- Jayna

Arguably the best singer in the competition. She took on some gargantuan songs, and while I don't think she did justice to every single one (mostly cause of the high standards of the original), I doubt anyone else in the competition could have done a better job. Just like Roman, really liked a lot of her musical choices. Did her best to make some overdone songs more fresh. Agreed about the song choices though

Again, if it were up to me, these 2 would have made it very far. But it is what it is.

Fair enough about Roman. I can understand people feeling this way about him.

Nice points about Jayna. She did take on some huge songs and made them work most of the time.

On 6/4/2024 at 10:51 AM, nytsch said:

Jayna absolutely killed All I Wanted, I thought My All was one of her weaker efforts but it's a really hard song so that's understandable. Diamonds was a bad song choice though (I think only La'Porsha has given a memorable version)

Roman was too over the top for me as well but there were a couple times where I thought that style fit the song (You're All I Need to Get By stands out). Either way he's a great vocalist, just can't say I was too sad at his elimination.

Fair enough about My All although I enjoyed it. I liked Willie Spence's version of Diamonds, but understandable point about the song choice despite me understanding the reason why she picked it.

Pretty much in agreement about Roman.

KAYKO

dGFkyY6.jpeg

POSITIVE:

Songwriter, interesting musical instincts

NEGATIVE:

Not as vocally strong as some of the other contestants

(For the performances, I refrained from mentioning his originals because those are difficult to critique.)

LEAST FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: TEENAGE DIRTBAG

Where do I begin? First, there was the last-minute song choice, meaning there’s a high chance he didn’t get to rehearse it as much as he wanted. In addition, the arrangement wasn’t the greatest, but I don’t doubt that also was because of the switch-up. Lastly, the singing was underwhelming. Overall, this was a chaotic performance but not in a good way, and this might have been better with him staying at the piano and singing the song straight.

FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: SOMEBODY THAT I USED TO KNOW

Unlike “Teenage Dirtbag”, this performance was positively anarchic. The original song is more somber; however, I always felt it could be arranged in a stronger and more tumultuous for a lack of a better term. His singing wasn’t perfect by any means, especially towards the end where his bouncing around impacted his breath control. However, he brought the intensity and the feeling the song in that style required. It was the most entertaining performance of the evening and one that grew on me upon rewatching it.

RANT:

First off, let me say I adore Shania Twain. Although country isn’t my favorite genre, I have come to appreciate and enjoy it more over the years, and Shania is one of my favorite country artists. Nonetheless, the worst thing she did was tacitly talk some sense in Kayko to the point where he abandoned the idea of doing “Oops!...I Did It Again” Bohemian Rhapsody style. This deprived us of what could have been a historic Idol moment! It would’ve easily supplanted “Harleys in Hawaii” as the largest mess of the season and could have formed a Mount Rushmore of the biggest Idol trainwrecks alongside “Crocodile Rock”, Sanjaya, and “I Can’t Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch)”! Instead, we received a regular underwhelming performance of “Teenage Dirtbag” that was most likely forgotten seconds upon its conclusion. Now my mind can only conjure up a reality in which such a grandiose spectacle exists. Alas! How could you do such a thing, Shania?! How could you?!!!

OVERALL:

Kayko was certainly a polarizing one. I’ll admit I was amused at the hatred and criticism towards him during the season. While he wasn’t the strongest nor most technically sound vocalist, he also wasn’t as bad as he was made out to be. He has a strong belief in his songwriting to go along with his arrangements and energetic stage presence. This may not have borne the ripest fruit, but it wasn’t from the lack of effort. He would’ve been a lot better off had they allowed him to do more of his originals a la Alejandro because his shortcomings were really exposed once the themes kicked in. Having said all of that, the one thing I won’t call him is boring. He was one of the more intriguing contestants and while I can’t say I agreed with everything he did, he made things interesting.

-----

MIA MATTHEWS

2nWyRHZ.jpeg

There are two ways this can end: either I make her cry or the other way around...

POSITIVE:

Authentic country sound

NEGATIVE:

Not the most natural stage performer

LEAST FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: NO ONE NEEDS TO KNOW

I’ll start off by saying it was nice to see her pick an upbeat song and move around on stage after standing in one spot during her previous performances. Unfortunately, that’s the most positive thing I can say about this performance. Despite that, the vocals weren’t that bad up until the point where she forgot the lyrics. However, I thought she had a great recovery to where the flub wouldn’t have been noticeable had the judges not pointed it out. Also, it appeared she was in her head while dancing, as if she was mentally telling herself what to do next. She was out of her comfort zone and gave it the old college try, but this was her weakest effort of the season.

FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: THOSE MEMORIES OF YOU

While country has been heavily infused with pop leanings over the past few decades, it’s good to hear a traditional ditty now and then. Taking on a song by one legend is hard enough on its own. To pick one by three, however, can be a truly humbling experience. Since it’s here, suffice to say I thought Mia was up to the challenge. It was a performance that people can close their eyes on and let the voice and melodies amiably penetrate their conscience. Furthermore, she took Gene’s advice and emoted more by adding little inflections here and there. Finally, the arrangement was minimalistic and didn’t overpower her voice. “Those Memories Of You” may not be the most dynamic performance, but it didn’t need to be. It was a simply pleasant vocal, and that was more than enough.

OVERALL:

deep-breaths-deep-breath.gif

Mia was a flagrantly repulsive eyesore who made me want to blind myself with ammonia and orally eject my intestines every time she appeared on my screen. Moreover, outside of the one performance listed (only because I had to pick one and decided to be nice about it and the least favorite one), her voice nearly caused my eardrums to draft litigations for the aural stress they endured whenever she breathed into the mic. Hopefully, this vile creature never offends any of my senses ever again. Good riddance!

simpso-riot.gif

OK, OK, here's the real conclusion. Put the torches away!

OVERALL:

Mia was a nice singer with a pure dulcet country sound. One of the things she did well was knowing her voice and not biting off more than she could chew with her song choices. Further, outside of her final performance, she was one of the more consistently improving contestants who didn’t have too many bad moments. The one criticism I have is as mentioned earlier she wasn't the most natural performer. With that said, it’s not the end of the world that she isn’t. All in all, she was a positive presence in the season who appears will continue to improve on her craft. I want to say this write-up was a long time coming, so I hope it was worth the wait.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I flove Kayko and he's one of my favorite contestants of all time. B) He impressed me from day 1 with his original song in Hawaii, and "Over You" at the top 20 was even better. An original song, with a sick guitar solo and an arrangement that could be heard on pop radio? On MY American Idol?! Anyway, he's definitely not the best singer in the world, but he has artistry/stage presence in spades (very welcome in a season where most contestants had glue on their shoes) and most importantly, knew how to entertain. "Somebody That I Used to Know" is my favorite performance of the season and while I realize "Teenage Dirtbag" technically wasn't very good, I still enjoyed it because I always found the fun/energy Kayko brought to the stage to be infectious.

I also enjoyed Mia, she's my favorite of this season's country trio. She was whatever for me in Hawaii, but the excellent song choices she made in the ensuing weeks quickly won me over. "No One Needs to Know" was definitely a misstep, but I don't think she deserved to be eliminated for it. But this season was so strong, so what can you do?

Edited by Weedy_Speedy

14 minutes ago, Crisis said:

KAYKO

dGFkyY6.jpeg

POSITIVE:

Songwriter, interesting musical instincts

NEGATIVE:

Not as vocally strong as some of the other contestants

(For the performances, I refrained from mentioning his originals because those are difficult to critique.)

LEAST FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: TEENAGE DIRTBAG

Where do I begin? First, there was the last-minute song choice, meaning there’s a high chance he didn’t get to rehearse it as much as he wanted. In addition, the arrangement wasn’t the greatest, but I don’t doubt that also was because of the switch-up. Lastly, the singing was underwhelming. Overall, this was a chaotic performance but not in a good way, and this might have been better with him staying at the piano and singing the song straight.

FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: SOMEBODY THAT I USED TO KNOW

Unlike “Teenage Dirtbag”, this performance was positively anarchic. The original song is more somber; however, I always felt it could be arranged in a stronger and more tumultuous for a lack of a better term. His singing wasn’t perfect by any means, especially towards the end where his bouncing around impacted his breath control. However, he brought the intensity and the feeling the song in that style required. It was the most entertaining performance of the evening and one that grew on me upon rewatching it.

RANT:

First off, let me say I adore Shania Twain. Although country isn’t my favorite genre, I have come to appreciate and enjoy it more over the years, and Shania is one of my favorite country artists. Nonetheless, the worst thing she did was tacitly talk some sense in Kayko to the point where he abandoned the idea of doing “Oops!...I Did It Again” Bohemian Rhapsody style. This deprived us of what could have been a historic Idol moment! It would’ve easily supplanted “Harleys in Hawaii” as the largest mess of the season and could have formed a Mount Rushmore of the biggest Idol trainwrecks alongside “Crocodile Rock”, Sanjaya, and “I Can’t Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch)”! Instead, we received a regular underwhelming performance of “Teenage Dirtbag” that was most likely forgotten seconds upon its conclusion. Now my mind can only conjure up a reality in which such a grandiose spectacle exists. Alas! How could you do such a thing, Shania?! How could you?!!!

OVERALL:

Kayko was certainly a polarizing one. I’ll admit I was amused at the hatred and criticism towards him during the season. While he wasn’t the strongest nor most technically sound vocalist, he also wasn’t as bad as he was made out to be. He has a strong belief in his songwriting to go along with his arrangements and energetic stage presence. This may not have borne the ripest fruit, but it wasn’t from the lack of effort. He would’ve been a lot better off had they allowed him to do more of his originals a la Alejandro because his shortcomings were really exposed once the themes kicked in. Having said all of that, the one thing I won’t call him is boring. He was one of the more intriguing contestants and while I can’t say I agreed with everything he did, he made things interesting.

-----

MIA MATTHEWS

2nWyRHZ.jpeg

There are two ways this can end: either I make her cry or the other way around...

POSITIVE:

Authentic country sound

NEGATIVE:

Not the most natural stage performer

LEAST FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: NO ONE NEEDS TO KNOW

I’ll start off by saying it was nice to see her pick an upbeat song and move around on stage after standing in one spot during her previous performances. Unfortunately, that’s the most positive thing I can say about this performance. Despite that, the vocals weren’t that bad up until the point where she forgot the lyrics. However, I thought she had a great recovery to where the flub wouldn’t have been noticeable had the judges not pointed it out. Also, it appeared she was in her head while dancing, as if she was mentally telling herself what to do next. She was out of her comfort zone and gave it the old college try, but this was her weakest effort of the season.

FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: THOSE MEMORIES OF YOU

While country has been heavily infused with pop leanings over the past few decades, it’s good to hear a traditional ditty now and then. Taking on a song by one legend is hard enough on its own. To pick one by three, however, can be a truly humbling experience. Since it’s here, suffice to say I thought Mia was up to the challenge. It was a performance that people can close their eyes on and let the voice and melodies amiably penetrate their conscience. Furthermore, she took Gene’s advice and emoted more by adding little inflections here and there. Finally, the arrangement was minimalistic and didn’t overpower her voice. “Those Memories Of You” may not be the most dynamic performance, but it didn’t need to be. It was a simply pleasant vocal, and that was more than enough.

OVERALL:

deep-breaths-deep-breath.gif

Mia was a flagrantly repulsive eyesore who made me want to blind myself with ammonia and orally eject my intestines every time she appeared on my screen. Moreover, outside of the one performance listed (only because I had to pick one and decided to be nice about it and the least favorite one), her voice nearly caused my eardrums to draft litigations for the aural stress they endured whenever she breathed into the mic. Hopefully, this vile creature never offends any of my senses ever again. Good riddance!

simpso-riot.gif

OK, OK, here's the real conclusion. Put the torches away!

OVERALL:

Mia was a nice singer with a pure dulcet country sound. One of the things she did well was knowing her voice and not biting off more than she could chew with her song choices. Further, outside of her final performance, she was one of the more consistently improving contestants who didn’t have too many bad moments. The one criticism I have is as mentioned earlier she wasn't the most natural performer. With that said, it’s not the end of the world that she isn’t. All in all, she was a positive presence in the season who appears will continue to improve on her craft. I want to say this write-up was a long time coming, so I hope it was worth the wait.

Yeah, things would have gone differently for Kayko had he been allowed to do original songs after the Top 14.  I thought that he was like Alejandro inasmuch as they were better songwriters and performers than singers.  I didn’t hate him as much as some here did, but he was never one of my favorites.

While Mia going outside her comfort zone was a good thing, she should have done so in a way that was more true to her artistic integrity.  Had she done so, her final performance would have been much better and she’d have stayed a little longer.

I mean I would argue Kayko’s Teenage Dirtbag was kind of an (entertaining) trainwreck lol

I used to be a pop punk fan (and still have some faves from that time, Blink 182 is my favorite band) so I can understand his appeal, but yeah I didn’t like the originals and since we’ve acknowledged he wasn’t the best vocalist he didn’t do anything for me. I did like the idea of STIUTK as a pop punk version though.

Mia had a couple performances I really liked although I’m struggling to remember them now lol, Burning House was a season standout though and I also really liked Daddy’s Hands

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Weedy_Speedy said:

I flove Kayko and he's one of my favorite contestants of all time. B) He impressed me from day 1 with his original song in Hawaii, and "Over You" at the top 20 was even better. An original song, with a sick guitar solo and an arrangement that could be heard on pop radio? On MY American Idol?! Anyway, he's definitely not the best singer in the world, but he has artistry/stage presence in spades (very welcome in a season where most contestants had glue on their shoes) and most importantly, knew how to entertain. "Somebody That I Used to Know" is my favorite performance of the season and while I realize "Teenage Dirtbag" technically wasn't very good, I still enjoyed it because I always found the fun/energy Kayko brought to the stage to be infectious.

I also enjoyed Mia, she's my favorite of this season's country trio. She was whatever for me in Hawaii, but the excellent song choices she made in the ensuing weeks quickly won me over. "No One Needs to Know" was definitely a misstep, but I don't think she deserved to be eliminated for it. But this season was so strong, so what can you do?

If I had to pick my favorite original of the ones he did, it would be "Over You". The guitar solo helped make it stand out, and it had a better arrangement and lyrics than the other two. Agree about him having artistry and stage presence.

Her song choices were great. Can't argue with "No One Needs to Know" being a misstep. It was also one of Crystal's weakest performances back in S9, so maybe it's the song. The lyric flub didn't help matters, but her previous track record may have bought her another week in a weaker season.

21 hours ago, CarmenSandiego said:

Yeah, things would have gone differently for Kayko had he been allowed to do original songs after the Top 14.  I thought that he was like Alejandro inasmuch as they were better songwriters and performers than singers.  I didn’t hate him as much as some here did, but he was never one of my favorites.

While Mia going outside her comfort zone was a good thing, she should have done so in a way that was more true to her artistic integrity.  Had she done so, her final performance would have been much better and she’d have stayed a little longer.

Not much disagreement about Kayko.

Can't find much disagreement regarding Mia.

21 hours ago, nytsch said:

I mean I would argue Kayko’s Teenage Dirtbag was kind of an (entertaining) trainwreck lol

I used to be a pop punk fan (and still have some faves from that time, Blink 182 is my favorite band) so I can understand his appeal, but yeah I didn’t like the originals and since we’ve acknowledged he wasn’t the best vocalist he didn’t do anything for me. I did like the idea of STIUTK as a pop punk version though.

Mia had a couple performances I really liked although I’m struggling to remember them now lol, Burning House was a season standout though and I also really liked Daddy’s Hands

I can see the argument for "Teenage Dirtbag" being an entertaining trainwreck. However, his original choice had the possibility of being an ICONIC one. Oh, what could have been...

I can understand this opinion about Kayko.

To be honest, it was a struggle for me to remember her performances as well. Nonetheless, I appreciated them more upon rewatching them for this thread. The two performances mentioned were great. :yes:

KAIBRIENNE "KB" RICHINS

kaIGxhb.jpeg

POSITIVE:

Good emotional connection to songs

NEGATIVE:

Too emotional at times, not the best pitch

LEAST FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: HEAVEN

First, I’m subtracting points for the song, for it has never been one of my favorites. Now for the real reason why this performance lands here. While she did a fine job emoting the song, the singing was rough. It should have fit her voice well; however, there were a bunch of harsh parts throughout. The most prevalent were in the chorus during the “and love is all that I need” lines. Combined with the underwhelmingly cliched song choice, this ends up in the bottom. The one positive thing I will say is that she looked very pretty.

FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: HERE WITHOUT YOU

When I saw she was doing 3 Doors Down, a part of me hoped for “When I’m Gone” because it’s my favorite song of theirs. Alas, I had a feeling it would be “Here Without You” due to it arguably being their most popular song. Well, I'll concede she picked the right song because it allowed her to use the emotion she displayed in her other performances to her advantage. In addition, Shania gave some great advice, especially when she suggested Kaibrienne start the song softly, and Kaibrienne implemented it for the most part. While there were still some iffy spots here and there, this was her best pure vocal of the season.

OVERALL:

Well, Kaibrienne gets to have a post to herself. She was someone who had her good qualities, such as emoting and connecting to songs. However, her emotions got the better of her plenty of times, which resulted in her struggling with her pitch, especially in her upper register. There wasn’t one performance in which my face didn’t scrunch up at some point. With that said, she gradually improved every week up to her elimination; however, she still has some ways to go. If I were to describe her, it would be a mess. One in a cute, positive, and potential diamond in the rough package, but still a mess, nonetheless.

On a side note, I saw there was a video of Kaibrienne involved in a sing off against Alyssa Raghu for a Top 24 spot. I couldn’t believe Alyssa auditioned again! :dead: Seeing that she advanced a little further each time, she probably thought third time’s the charm and would win this season. :lmao: That didn’t pan out for her to say the least. I will be the last to knock the hustle and dedication. Now I'm curious about what the reactions were. :haha:

42 minutes ago, Crisis said:

KAIBRIENNE "KB" RICHINS

kaIGxhb.jpeg

POSITIVE:

Good emotional connection to songs

NEGATIVE:

Too emotional at times, not the best pitch

LEAST FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: HEAVEN

First, I’m subtracting points for the song, for it has never been one of my favorites. Now for the real reason why this performance lands here. While she did a fine job emoting the song, the singing was rough. It should have fit her voice well; however, there were a bunch of harsh parts throughout. The most prevalent were in the chorus during the “and love is all that I need” lines. Combined with the underwhelmingly cliched song choice, this ends up in the bottom. The one positive thing I will say is that she looked very pretty.

FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: HERE WITHOUT YOU

When I saw she was doing 3 Doors Down, a part of me hoped for “When I’m Gone” because it’s my favorite song of theirs. Alas, I had a feeling it would be “Here Without You” due to it arguably being their most popular song. Well, I'll concede she picked the right song because it allowed her to use the emotion she displayed in her other performances to her advantage. In addition, Shania gave some great advice, especially when she suggested Kaibrienne start the song softly, and Kaibrienne implemented it for the most part. While there were still some iffy spots here and there, this was her best pure vocal of the season.

OVERALL:

Well, Kaibrienne gets to have a post to herself. She was someone who had her good qualities, such as emoting and connecting to songs. However, her emotions got the better of her plenty of times, which resulted in her struggling with her pitch, especially in her upper register. There wasn’t one performance in which my face didn’t scrunch up at some point. With that said, she gradually improved every week up to her elimination; however, she still has some ways to go. If I were to describe her, it would be a mess. One in a cute, positive, and potential diamond in the rough package, but still a mess, nonetheless.

On a side note, I saw there was a video of Kaibrienne involved in a sing off against Alyssa Raghu for a Top 24 spot. I couldn’t believe Alyssa auditioned again! :dead: Seeing that she advanced a little further each time, she probably thought third time’s the charm and would win this season. :lmao: That didn’t pan out for her to say the least. I will be the last to knock the hustle and dedication. Now I'm curious about what the reactions were. :haha:

Unfortunately for all the Kaibrienne fans out there, you’re right about her being a mess more often than she should have been.  She was just too inconsistent, even if she was a diamond in the rough, and that’s why she fell short.

I admit, while i been harsh while criticizing her, i really enjoy Kaibrienne's tone. It's just that, yeah, she was inconsistent, like, one day she slayed a rock classic (I Hate Myself For Loving You) and the next day she did an average job on a pop hit (Wrecking Ball). She is definitely a diamond in the rough, tho. She just needs to work on some aspects, like her pitch, as you mentioned. Anyway, "Here Without You" was definitely her best performance, that song allowed her voice to truly shine. 

• Like 2

Kaibrienne was inconsistent but her trinity of performances is How Could You - I Hate Myself - Here Without You imo. I also really liked Zombie (unpop?)

I think at her best I liked her more than McKenna (def unpop)

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, nytsch said:

Kaibrienne was inconsistent but her trinity of performances is How Could You - I Hate Myself - Here Without You imo. I also really liked Zombie (unpop?)

I think at her best I liked her more than McKenna (def unpop)

I also think KB had higher highs then McKenna and also lower lows. So I guess it just comes down to what you value more consistency or higher peaks. I think I probably lean towards the contestants that can hit the higher highs. 

• Like 1

For most of the season, Kaibrienne was mediocre and overrated by IDF, but I'm not gonna play make-believe and pretend that "Here Without You" isn't one of the absolute best performances of the season. She hit a home run with that performance, and if she'd performed to that level throughout the entire season, I'd definitely be a fan.

aside from maybe emmy, i don't think there was anyone in the top 12 who was more "not ready" than kaibrienne. at her best, her voice could absolutely shred, and we heard the best parts of her when we got performances like here without you. what we quickly learned during the lives, though, is that kb was just really not comfortable onstage. we saw her struggle with song choice, we saw her struggle with remaining consistent week to week... i for one couldn't get behind her top 14 performance solely because of how much her inexperience shone through the lack of stage presence she had, especially after we saw abi prove her rock chops a few rounds later. she's a strong vocalist, but she probably needed another year if she wanted to go all the way. 

2 hours ago, Weedy_Speedy said:

For most of the season, Kaibrienne was mediocre and overrated by IDF, but I'm not gonna play make-believe and pretend that "Here Without You" isn't one of the absolute best performances of the season. She hit a home run with that performance, and if she'd performed to that level throughout the entire season, I'd definitely be a fan.

I don't think IDF overrated her because most of IDF only thought one girl, maybe 2 existed.

31 minutes ago, QueenKalie said:

I don't think IDF overrated her because most of IDF only thought one girl, maybe 2 existed.

agreed. of the girls in the Top 10 this is how i'd rank how well they were received

1. Abi
2. McKenna

3. Mia

4. Julia (she didn't really have any hardcore stans but she also didn't really have any haters) 

5. KB

6. Emmy

3 hours ago, QueenKalie said:

I also think KB had higher highs than McKenna and also lower lows. So I guess it just comes down to what you value more consistency or higher peaks. I think I probably lean towards the contestants that can hit the higher highs. 

Unfortunately, I prefer the more consistently great or at least very good female contestants.  I might have liked Kaibrienne more had she been more consistent — and had Abi not been on this season to grab my attention.