CHRIS: 1

ALEX: 2

MEGAN: 5

ERIK: 11

SOLA: 11

DEREK: 17

WALLACE: 19

CHRIS

In all the rankdowns I've participated in, this was one of the easiest decisions to make regarding what to rank at the top of my list. When someone asks me about my all-time favourite Disney songs, I don't hesitate for a second - I immediately say it's "I Won't Say (I'm In Love)" from Hercules, which is also one of my all-time favourite Disney animated movies.

Every time I listen to this song, as soon as it starts with "If there's a prize for rotten judgment, I guess I've already won that, No man is worth the aggravation, That’s ancient history, BEEN THERE, DONE THAT," I am transported into a new world and completely embodying my inner Megara, as if I’m a Broadway superstar. But seriously, this song is THAT song for me, just like every other Alan Menken song in this Top 20 - you could never make me turn against that man. Anyway, this song is truly a testament to the songwriting talents of Alan Menken and David Zippel, who crafted such a masterpiece that stands the test of time in the Disney universe.

With its infectious melody and lyrics perfectly capturing Megara’s vulnerability, "I Won’t Say (I’m In Love)" is brought to life by Susan Egan, one of my all-time favourite Disney princess voice actresses. Egan, who also portrayed Belle in the Broadway version of Beauty & The Beast, where she blew everyone away with "Home".  Back onto "I Won't Say (I'm in Love)" : She delivers this song with such sass, conviction, and showcasing her vocal versatility while navigating the various notes so effortlessly : From “That’s ancient history, Been there, done that” to “Oh no” to “No chance! No way!” to “I won’t say I’m in love” to “My head is screaming, 'Get a grip girl!'” to "Unless you’re dying to cry your heart out" to “Get off my case!” - you all get where I am going.  Not only does Megara / Susan Egan absolutely slay this song, but she’s also supported by the Muses who absolutely elevate the song with their harmonies.

There’s also reason why this song has barely ever been covered by other singers or Broadway artists - it's because they all know they can't come close to Susan’s rendition!  God bless the Cheetah Girls for trying their best, and while Carrie Hope Fletcher and Ariana Grande did decent with their versions, they don't hold a candle to Susan’s rendition. Therefore, Susan truly owns this song and still has it after all these years : 

For me, there’s no Hercules without Megara, and there's no Megara without “I Won’t Say (I’m In Love)”. There’s truly no song that gives me the feeling that I get when I listen to this one. So, for me, this is easily one of the best songs in the Disney repertoire, and it deserves its spot in the Top 20. It’s a shame that it probably won’t win because I predict some people will be tanking this one, but getting it to this spot is a victory in itself. 

ALEX

Hercules really does have one of the best soundtracks, damn near any of them could've made a good case for top 20. But this is the one for me. A combination of Meg and The Muses is just so irresistible to me. One of the funniest Disney songs of all-time easily. And just so real and relatable. The "oh shit I have feelings" moment is something everyone has gone through. And it's portrayed so well in this song. From Meg's attitude, to her utter denial, and then eventually giving in by the end of the song. The doo-wop arrangement is so fun to bop along to and makes this such a unique song in the Disney canon. At the end of the day, I can praise the rich and powerful songs that come from Hunchback of Notre Dame, but Disney movies are just meant for kids to have fun to. And when it comes to fun Disney songs, this tops the list for me.

MEGAN

I am on the record as a Hercules HATER. I don't actually hate Hercules, I mostly just think it's overrated for how imbalanced a movie it is. If I was going to rank all the Disney movies, it would probably fall in to the lower half of my personal rankings. I think the same of Hunchback tbqh. Anyway, I think where Hercules shines the most consistently is the music, but I'm not really wild about any of the songs except this one. I also don't really care about any character in Hercules except Meg. Meg is such an interesting character and Susan Egan brings a lot of character to her performance.

ERIK

I saw a comment saying that this the most romantically relatable disney song and that's so true

SOLA

Megara’s song just misses out on my Top 10.  It’s my third favorite song from Hercules and I wish Go the Distance had made the finals over this.  But it’s still a great song that talks about the walls Megara has built to prevent her from Falling for Hercules, but it still wound up happening.

DEREK

Susan Egan and the Muses. How can you go wrong? This just happens to not be my favorite song from the movie, but it’s not bad or anything. I’m not surprised this is in the finals but if it missed out I wouldn’t have been throwing any tantrums over it. It’s definitely nice to see a Disney female lead sing a more complex song about love than the usual instantaneous googoo eyes that we tend to see. Of course, in the end Meg does give googoo eyes and she becomes the cliche damsel in distress but she’s definitely a more layered character

WALLACE

I had a feeling that "I Won't Say (I'm in Love)" would be on the lower end of my rankings though I wasn't sure where it would be. I guess my hot take on this song was that in the Hercules battle round, I voted for and was hoping for this song to go over "Go the Distance." I do really like "I Won't Say (I'm in Love)" but I don't love it like I feel like many/most rankers do. Luckily for fans of this song, I always had bigger targets in this game so I was never really going to target over this song. But I do like how Megara and especially the Muses sing this song. Megara does sound beautiful and the Muses bring the sass and soul in their parts. Ugh re-listening to this.... I liked this a lot more than I remembered.  I think this is one of those songs I don't realize how much I like until re-listening to it. It's definitely a big and stand out song - but it's always been my #3 when it's come to the Hercules songs.

• Steven_ changed the title to Disney Songs Rankdown (#6 Posted)
23 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

@*Wallace is nasty for that bottom two :/ 

11 minutes ago, *Chris said:

Say it louder! 

After what y'all did to "A Whole New World."

No Regrets Election GIF by PBS NewsHour

(Though it was actually supposed to be my #18, but forgot to change that in my rankings. Oh well, it wouldn't have made much of a difference. :haha:

1 minute ago, *Wallace said:

I was just hoping for "Zero to Hero" to be the last standing Hercules song over "I Won't Say (I'm In Love)" so yay for that happening!

Reporting this awful take

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, totes4totes said:

Honestly, I don’t care that I’m a Hater. Hercules is a bad movie.

At least Hunchback has the dignity of being a bad movie but with incredible songs. Hercules is just contently mediocre.

• Confused 1

Smooth sailing from here! I'm still confident in the Top 2 but I can't guess which one will win because I think it could be fairly close. But I've been wrong about literally everything else in this entire finals so far soooooo

On 5/8/2024 at 9:38 AM, Steven_ said:

13. CIRCLE OF LIFE

DEREK: 1

CHRIS: 17

11 hours ago, Steven_ said:

6. I WON'T SAY (I'M IN LOVE)

CHRIS: 1

DEREK: 17

forever IDF soulmates

• Haha 1