SOLA: 3

ALEX: 4

DEREK: 4

WALLACE: 5

CHRIS: 8

MEGAN: 11

ERIK: 17

SOLA

This is probably my favorite Disney song to sing.  I’ll Make a Man Out of You is sung by Li Shang, and he is trying to transform a bunch of conscripted peasants into a regimented force of nature. The song is a journey.  It takes us from the miscreants fighting on day, without being able to handle a sword, polearm, or bow, with the no endurance into masters of arms and a united army.  You also see this as a turning point for Mulan where she starts to see her worth and her ability to contribute to China’s safety.  While the lyrics might be a little outdated for today, the message is still strong.  Donny Osmond provides the singing voice for Li Shang.  On a side note, He also sang this song live for Normani and Vals Paso Doble that was robbed of a perfect score.

ALEX

This is my winner prediction. I don't think it was nominated once? If it does win, Donny Osmond winning an IDF rankdown is objectively hilarious. But deserving in this context only! It's pretty much a perfect song? This song just comes out of the gate firing on all cylinders and never slows down. In the context of the movie, the montage is everything to me. Mulan's growth from weak to strong. Li Shang's bisexual awakening where he realizes he might be in love with Ping. Exactly what you want out of a montage. But the song even out of context of the movie is perfect. You may not understand what's going on, but by the end you'll absolutely be belting "BE A MAN!!!!". And yes, of course the humor's there because Mulan isn't a man at all lmao. Feminist victory! I miss the days when Disney would write REAL showstoppers like this. I will never forget the elation I felt when I found out Normani was dancing to this on Disney night on DWTS.

DEREK

The amazing song by the bisexual icon Li Shang? Of course this is instantly Top 5. This checks off all the boxes. Singing, melody, lyrics, animation, how it fits with the plot. It makes the perfect montage song for Mulan’s progress to keep it interesting and grounded. It features all the fun supporting characters. It is a great way to get into the character for Li Shang himself. Also it’s just catchy as hell. After Reflection got advanced I was hella sweating over this one surviving final cuts, but Sola came through and saved it. The list of good things Sola did in the game is pretty small but that’s on there at least.

WALLACE

"I'll Make a Man Out of You" is a really strong and powerful song. I've always loved this song and it's always been one of my standout favorites from Mulan. I can't remember if I preferred "Reflection" when I watched this film and when it was out or if I preferred this song? But nowadays, I do prefer "I'll Make a Man Out of You."  Captain Li Shang (singing voice portrayed by Donny Osmond) definitely does a very convincing job performing this song. I love the power, intensity and angst he has while performing this song. It's like a training camp session type of song where Captain Li shows all that he can do and see if the fellow fighters can do what he can do. I also love how fun and catchy the song is. It also has a fun theaterical feel to it too. I also enjoy watching Mulan in this - it starts off with some of her struggles but she never gives up and shows major determintation. She shows that she can keep up with Captain Li and is up for the challenge. I love this song and the movie scene... and I hope to see it rank well here.

CHRIS

While "I'll Make a Man Out of You" may not seem like the obvious signature song from Mulan on paper, after all the years, it undeniably stands out as the film's standout musical piece. What truly distinguishes it is its composition, blending an upbeat melody with impactful lyrics, brought to life by Donny Osmond's energetic interpretation. Although I'm not particularly a fan of Osmond, his delivery undeniably elevates the song, infusing it with a captivating energy from start to finish. Like many songs in this Top 20, "I'll Make a Man Out of You" is elevated by the accompanying scene, which depicts Mulan and her fellow soldiers undergoing rigorous training for battle. The visual coupled with the music, solidifies its status as one of Disney's best songs. While I appreciate the song and acknowledge its deserving place in the Top 20, and perhaps even the Top 10, I personally cannot justify ranking it any higher than its current spot, as I love other songs more than this but again, this speaks volume to the quality of songs in the Top 20.

MEGAN

I probably sing this song more than most other songs on this list but I have to drop it a couple notches every time I remember that Shang's singing voice is DONNY OSMOND. The hottest Disney guy with a guy that makes me GAG just thinking about doing the singing voice. I HATE IT. Honestly, just thinking about Donny Osmond made me drop it a couple more spots from my initial ranking. Then it stops being Shang and all the other characters and I'm like "maybe I'll move it up" and then Donny Osmond Shang comes back and I drop it back. So I'm going to stop here before I drop it any more!!!!!!

ERIK

His voice is so...bland. Like it's giving me nothing

• Steven_ changed the title to Disney Songs Rankdown (#3 Posted)

I was rooting for "I'll Make A Man Out Of You" to win when it looked like it might've had a chance as the rankings were coming in. But Top 3 is better than I initially expected. :yes: 

• Like 3

LOL I started off doing terribly OBVIOUSLY.... and then I was starting to make up some ground and do decently/pretty good. But now with the last few reveals, the song I was most rooting for to win gets revealed with each reveal. :dead: 🤣

Well I only thought that this would win once we learned that Megan's #20 was something besides Donny, but then this comes right after lol. But it was a pleasant 3 hours or so while it lasted! How can you have Reflection at 2 and this at 17 like?

Posted (edited)

Congrats to Adele Dazeem who accepted Let it Go's diamond record on Disney Night at American Idol this evening.

Edited by Solaris