Should Idol just do away with Judges’ saves?

xfactor22

Tbh, I enjoyed Nutsa and Lucy, but their elimination just proves judges saves (at least in recent seasons) don’t effect the outcome of the show much and will just be eliminated the following week. Whoever wins the obvious “save” from the winner of the “judge’s” song contest tomorrow is obviously going home l next week, like what happened with Lady K next season. It sort of takes away from the suspense. Maybe next season they should just let the top 12/14/whatever be decided soley by the audience to keep the suspense? 

It only works if they do a format where at least 1 wildcard is guarenteed to advance, like in Season 20 where there were 4 wildcards at Top 14, but only 3 people were going home that round. Otherwise, it is completely pointless and there is no need for it. 

Given the current demo and format, yeah there's not much of a point. In Fox seasons where the demo wasn't so screwed, only 1 elimination per week and people seemed to at least somewhat vote based on performances, wildcards sometimes worked like in S13 when Jena Irene was even runner-up. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nytsch said:

Given the current demo and format, yeah there's not much of a point. In Fox seasons where the demo wasn't so screwed, only 1 elimination per week and people seemed to at least somewhat vote based on performances, wildcards sometimes worked like in S13 when Jena Irene was even runner-up. 

True. Wildcards being successful does depend on the format quite a bit. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pepperman said:

they def should.  it's such a pointless waste of time. should have just had the top 12 vote getters go through. or have the top 10 go through and give us more weeks of performances and less mass-eliminations. 

I do agree that we need more weeks of performances (I prefer the one elimination per week format that FOX used), but that's on ABC to start the season much earlier than mid-February.

8 minutes ago, m1key said:

It only works if they do a format where at least 1 wildcard is guarenteed to advance, like in Season 20 where there were 4 wildcards at Top 14, but only 3 people were going home that round. Otherwise, it is completely pointless and there is no need for it. 

Looking back at last season. Good point and it looks like only 1 wildcard was eliminated the next week and one (Jay even made it to the top 8. 

However Lady K was still eliminated after winning the judges “save” reward from the song contest week. Though that could just be because there were three people eliminated that following week, she performed an overdone song and she performed first. 

3 minutes ago, Kwamu said:

I mean, 2/4 judges saves made it to top 10 last year, beating out people who were originally in the top 10. Jay even got to top 7.

True. I guess it’s a bit different this year because of fewer saves maybe 

Yes. With multiple cuts each week, it doesn’t make much sense to have them. It worked back in the FOX seasons because only one person was eliminated each week. You could have people like Jena and Anoop go far because they maybe didn’t shine enough to be voted in with only a few open spots on their performance night, but they were able to pick up more fans in the upcoming weeks. 

YES. I HATE IT. IT WAS ONLY GOOD WHEN CASEY ALMOST THREW UP FROM BEING SAVED. lmao 

jk I hate it still. But unless Iam or We heaven forbid end up leaving. Screw it. lol

I'm kind of mixed about it because I like the idea and the judges should use it wisely like when the judges saved Jessica Sanchez and she made it all the way to the top 2. I think they should use the save on someone that has a huge shot of making top 5 or the finale. Jay managed to get into top 7 at least and we also had Jena Irene who was wildcard and managed to make finale. Maybe with brutal cuts the judges saves is probably useless. But I do think Nutsa and Lucy hands down deserved the save. Even Kaeyra deserved it too. If I were a host I would look at the voting results and mess with it by saying Colin and Haven did not get the votes and would call Lucy and Kaeyra safe with Nutsa and Matt or Nutsa and Olivia getting the save if I had my way. The cuts are too brutal at this point and they should go back to one person going home per week. I would like a bottom 2 every week until top 3 finale. If they didn't have much country artists this season it might have been easier for at least a few wildcards to go far? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KelseyW said:

YES. I HATE IT. IT WAS ONLY GOOD WHEN CASEY ALMOST THREW UP FROM BEING SAVED. lmao 

jk I hate it still. But unless Iam or We heaven forbid end up leaving. Screw it. lol

I’m still bitter about him getting saved because Pia went home the next week. 😆

• Sad 2

15 minutes ago, Carrie_On said:

I’m still bitter about him getting saved because Pia went home the next week. 😆

Two weeks after. Thia and Naima went home before Pia. 😭

Edited by xfactor22

38 minutes ago, ShortstopVM said:

I do agree that we need more weeks of performances (I prefer the one elimination per week format that FOX used), but that's on ABC to start the season much earlier than mid-February.

I prefer that elimination format as well. It always feels to me like they're rushing to get to the finale and we don't get quite as much time/performances out of everyone with the way they're doing it now.

As far as saves go... I guess it can be nice to get an extra performance out of your fave if they happen to be the one that was gonna be eliminated, but ultimately yes... it's pointless imo.