FloorWax reviews every TVUS Winner's Journey (Season 22 Posted!)

FloorWax

6 hours ago, FloorWax said:

Vocally, he killed it here, there’s no denying that. I just feel like the dude performs with a lack of sincerity that gets masked up when he’s dancing around the stage, but gets exposed in moments like this.

Yeah, I think this maybe summarizes why I didn't care for him that much. Always feels like he's showing off rather than truly feeling the songs, although I don't really have any proof for that other than that's just how it seemed to me

He was undoubtedly good though and slayed that Janet song (I'm always here for Janet songs getting covered if they're done well, i.e. not Kim Cherry)

Liked TMTTK and the original song, and honestly 24K Magic too even though I know vocally it wasn't great

Chris was a solid singer that season, def in my top 3 along with Lauren and Brennley in terms of their overall runs. However I felt that he had a few okish performances in the lives that kinda made me prefer Lauren long term. Plus rooting for Lauren was a first for me as that was the first time I rooted for a country artist, and from them being on Blake's team. I will say when Chris was on, he was ON (particularly his Blind, KO, PO, and his Rhythm Nation performance)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

I probably like Chris more than most here. How he's able to maintain the quality of his vocals and still do all his vocal tricks with his stage presence and showmanship is not something I think has been topped. And honestly, as someone who's biased towards ballads, I think excelling in upbeat songs is more difficult than excelling in ballads, especially if you're working rhe stage so much.

How many all time great showman performances can you think of on the show? Rhythm Nation, Sandyredd's river, maybe Victor's rendition of freedom..I'm sure I'm missing a few others but I think it's few and far between

Meanwhile I can think of dozens of all time great performances on the show that are ballads.

I will say though I do think his tone can get grating at times. It's probably one of the reasons I prefer other rnb/Soul singers like Davon and Patrique, even if their overall runs may not be as impressive

Yeah, what Chris does is definitely impressive and I never tried to discount him for it. He has more talent in his pinky finger than most contestants that come to this show. Yet, that doesn’t necessarily mean he’ll connect with me the most. And tbh, I didn’t really find his tone itself grating? Just those high-pitch “screams” he does for lack of a better term.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, nytsch said:

Always feels like he's showing off rather than truly feeling the songs, although I don't really have any proof for that other than that's just how it seemed to me

I always feel bad using “they aren’t feeling it” as a criticism because it’s like the least objective thing you can harp on a vocalist for, but sometimes it really does get in the way of how much I enjoy someone.

• Like 2

As for Lauren..

When the season initially aired she bored me.

Now I can appreciate her a bit more but I do think too many of her performances blend with one another. 

There's always criticisms of male country singers not moving out of their comfort zone vocally or otherwise, and yet I felt the same applies to Lauren's run. (Though she's a notch above vocally with how consistent she is)

And for as much as she sung ballads, she didn't truly move me until her semifinal onward.

No denying she's one of the best female country singers in the show. But her overall run doesn't do much for me. Just on country female finalists alone, I prefer Chevel, Morgan and Meghan.

• Like 2

Didn't someone say that Lauren had originally wanted to change up pop songs and make them into a country version, but Blake wanted her to stick with her roots instead or something? Could explain some of her song choices and performances

(I think it was @TeamAudra sorry if this notification is annoying 😅)

2 minutes ago, nytsch said:

Didn't someone say that Lauren had originally wanted to change up pop songs and make them into a country version, but Blake wanted her to stick with her roots instead or something? Could explain some of her song choices and performances

Damn what a missed opportunity if true. Would have brought freshness to her run.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nytsch said:

Yes, like she did with her blind. She later said she had a lot of ideas similar to that, but it didn’t fly with Blake. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Yes, like she did with her blind. She later said she had a lot of ideas similar to that, but it didn’t fly with Blake. 

That’s so odd. Cassadee Pope said she picked Blake because he was known for letting the contestants do their own thing (unlike Adam who was a micromanager).

1 minute ago, AngelaKD said:

That’s so odd. Cassadee Pope said she picked Blake because he was known for letting the contestants do their own thing (unlike Adam who was a micromanager).

Maybe he thought it worked with Cassadee and not Lauren? I do agree it seems out of character for him.

1 minute ago, AngelaKD said:

Well, that was Season 3. 

Lauren didn’t have much say in her song choices. Blake picked them, and that was that. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

Now I can appreciate her a bit more but I do think too many of her performances blend with one another. 

There's always criticisms of male country singers not moving out of their comfort zone vocally or otherwise, and yet I felt the same applies to Lauren's run. (Though she's a notch above vocally with how consistent she is)

This is a very valid criticism of Lauren that honestly I had myself when I first watched her run, but I don’t mind it now. I guess it’s like if an artist you like keeps making the same type of song, but if that’s exactly what you want from them, then what does it matter?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

As for Lauren..

And for as much as she sung ballads, she didn't truly move me until her semifinal onward.

No denying she's one of the best female country singers in the show. But her overall run doesn't do much for me. Just on country female finalists alone, I prefer Chevel, Morgan and Meghan.

I like her way more than the contestants you mentioned but I agree with everything you said. Not really her fault though, song choices held her back.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

As for Lauren..

Yeah I agree with this. I don’t think she got the most exciting song choices on the show, and I agree with the semis/finale part as well. This is why I preferred Chris. I feel like he and Alicia took more risks with song choices.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

This is a very valid criticism of Lauren that honestly I had myself when I first watched her run, but I don’t mind it now. I guess it’s like if an artist you like keeps making the same type of song, but if that’s exactly what you want from them, then what does it matter?

Lol too true. Most of us probably have favourites that stay in their comfort zone, but only use the criticism when it's against contestants we don't like. I'm probably guilty of that.

But yeah, would rather a contestant stay in their comfort zone than move outside of it if it means the performance quality will suffer for it.

1 hour ago, Hsamid said:

As for Lauren..

Same thoughts. Except that I think her audition was pretty moving. 

1 minute ago, FloorWax said:

To spice things up, does anyone have any favorite Season 13 performances from people who didn’t make the Top 12?

Chris Weaver - I put a spell on you

Emily Luther - Glitter in the Air

Ignatious Carmouche - Latch

Moriah Formica - Crazy on you

Adam Pearce - Smoke in the water

Lucas Holliday - the beautiful ones

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

To spice things up, does anyone have any favorite Season 13 performances from people who didn’t make the Top 12?

Moriah Formica- All performances

Emily Luther- Glitter in the Air

Karli Webster- You’re So Vain

Chris Weaver- Try a Little Tenderness, I Put a Spell on You

Hannah Mrozak- Love on the Brain

Lucas Holiday- The Beautiful Ones (Because I found it hilarious)

5 hours ago, FloorWax said:

Dave Crosby - I Will Follow You Into The Dark
Hannah Mrozak - Starving + Love On The Brain + Learn To Let Go
Iliana Viramontes - New Soul 
Kristi Hoopes - Heaven, Heartache and the Power of Love

Edited by allistr

7 hours ago, FloorWax said:

Emily Luther - Glitter in the Air

Karli vs Addison - Girls wanna have fun

Felicia Temple - All I could do was cry

Adam Pearce vs Whitney Fenimore - Stop draggin my heart around

Edited by StarWalker1

9 hours ago, Hsamid said:

I probably like Chris more than most here. How he's able to maintain the quality of his vocals and still do all his vocal tricks with his stage presence and showmanship is not something I think has been topped. And honestly, as someone who's biased towards ballads, I think excelling in upbeat songs is more difficult than excelling in ballads, especially if you're working rhe stage so much.

How many all time great showman performances can you think of on the show? Rhythm Nation, Sandyredd's river, maybe Victor's rendition of freedom..I'm sure I'm missing a few others but I think it's few and far between

Meanwhile I can think of dozens of all time great performances on the show that are ballads.

I will say though I do think his tone can get grating at times. It's probably one of the reasons I prefer other rnb/Soul singers like Davon and Patrique, even if their overall runs may not be as impressive

I'm also a huge fan of Chris. I really enjoy strong male r&b singers (so I also enjoyed Patrique and Davon a ton -- they're both vocal beasts, I think moreso than Chris).

I will say, though, that there are some who I didn't like that much. I wasn't a fan of Victor, Cam, or CammWess. I would've loved to see more of Zach Day; his voice felt a little thin, but he had an impressive belting range and incredible runs.

• Like 1