American Idol vs. The Voice [Week of 5/3 - 7/3]

QueenCami

American Idol vs. The Voice [Week of 5/3 - 7/3]  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Which show had the stronger singing this week? [Ignore any judge antics, qualms about backstories, format, and editing.]

• American Idol
    • The Voice
    • Equal
  2. 2. Which show had the individual strongest audition?

• American Idol
    • The Voice
    • Equal
  3. 3. Favorite Audition

• Marybeth
    • Olivia
    • Emma
    • Elijah
    • Neil
    • Sorelle
    • Holly
    • Tasha
    • Ross
    • Alex
    • NOIVAS
    • Sheer Element
    • Kala
    • Other

If you did NOT watch American Idol's episodes / performances this week -- do NOT vote! If you're curious about results, then just click to view results instead.

Also, feel free to rank your top 5/10 performances combined from the shows this past week.

American Idol (advancements):

- Sara (You Know I'm No Good / Bennie and the Jetts)

- Tanner (Golden Eyes)

- Adin (Predicament)

- Wé (Anyone)

- Marybeth (If It Hadn't Been For Love)

- Olivia (Hello)

- Preston (Something To Write About)

- Emma (Goodbye Yellow Brick Road / Happy Birthday)

- Keelin (Don't Call Me)

- Elijah (God Bless The Broken Road)

The Voice (chair-turners):

- Neil (Honky Tonk Blues)

- Sorelle (Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy)

- Holly (Mississippi Girl)

- Tasha (River)

- Ross (Blue Ain't Your Color)

- Michael (Save Your Tears)

- D. Smooth (Perfect)

- Alex (Help Me Make It Through The Night)

- NOIVAS (A Change Is Gonna Come)

- Sheer Element (Leave The Door Open)

- Carlos (Change The World)

- Magnus (Sara Smile)

- Kala (Both Sides, Now)

Edited by QueenCami

Oh dear, we're opening this can of worms.....

I think, by average, AI will always have the weaker singers compared to TV, because these shows recruit singers differently. AI purposely recruits rawer, greener artists that can be molded, while TV is not opposed to casting artists with plenty of experience in the music industry.

It's very telling that the best singers in AI this week happens to be former Voice people.

And despite that tragic second episode for The Voice, I find the artists their much more compelling than several of the successful AI auditioners.

Edited by Teraginn
  • Like 1

For once, I enjoyed Idol more. I didn’t watch every audition but there were some interesting acts that I could see myself rooting for in the future.

OTOH The Voice had nothing for me. I can’t think of a “bad” audition but everything felt sooooo bland, even more derivative than usual.

Definitely want to read more opinions about this first week, because idk if the episodes were actually that weak or if I just don’t enjoy this show anymore.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Daillon said:

For once, I enjoyed Idol more. I didn’t watch every audition but there were some interesting acts that I could see myself rooting for in the future.

OTOH The Voice had nothing for me. I can’t think of a “bad” audition but everything felt sooooo bland, even more derivative than usual.

Definitely want to read more opinions about this first week, because idk if the episodes were actually that weak or if I just don’t enjoy this show anymore.

i do think that american idol had “higher highs” this week in Olivia and Elijah. but i did enjoy this first week of the voice as well, with Sorelle in particular

• Like 1

American Idol, the show felt a bit more natural to me. The whole jimmy audition thing was kinda the last nail for me

American Idol, the singers were more my lane and plus the song choices weren't as bad

Wé (Anyone), her audition was the best one of the entire week for me. I felt every word of her performance and she was the most on point

Edited by StarWalker1
  • Like 1

Overall American Idol had more singers that piqued my interest this week. For TV it was basically Neil and maaaaybe Sheer Element and that’s it. A lot of auditions that seemed to be popular here like Holly, Kala, and NOIVAS did nothing for me :((

For AI, I really enjoyed all three of Olivia, Marybeth, and Wé. Even in Idol’s premiere week, I liked the guys Michael, Zachariah, Tyson, and Iam. At this point, I’m more excited to watch the rest of Idol because at least they’re gonna have a decent number of live shows.

Edited by FloorWax
  • Like 1

Idol spoilers, I guess?

Disclaimer though: the only Idol auditions I watch are the ones from people who I know made the Top 26 so that obviously influences my perception of the audition quality. I also don’t watch it live.

Edited by FloorWax
  • Like 1

There's no way no one voted for Elijah or Olivia other than me 😭 obviously there's going to be a tendency to prefer The Voice or prior The Voice contestants because I posted on this subforum but this is quite something... only 1 vote for a non-The Voice alumni on American Idol (potentially 2 if the "Other" vote is for someone from AI).

I'm liking American Idol more this year, which is a bit rare. After having another WGWG winner, it seems like they're pushing for more diverse artists this season and I really like it. Even the typical generic country guys this year on AI have more substance to them. 

• Like 1