SYTYCD Superlatives (Best All Star Duet - Round 2)

FrogLenzen

20. US Season 1

mFrgt4Q.jpg

KwVSvdE.png

16.2 / 20

@JC - 9/20

@Zoey - 13/20

@Elliott - 14/20

@Deeee - 14/20

@.Rei - 16/20 

@*Chris - 18/20

@FrogLenzen - 19/20

@kritaaay - 19/20

@taylorkat - 20/20

@totes4totes - 20/20

JC - 9/20

Pretty much was in love with all the men this season. They were all kings and hot. Melody was the only worthy female though which is why this is not rated as high.

Dee - 14/20

For the first season of the entire franchise, not bad honestly. Just not super memorable either. I think the repeated routines in the first few weeks impact the quality of the season. We are missing group routines. Duets are much shorter than every other season. But this season at least cared about diversity in the cast and styles of dance assigned to the contestants. Ashlé and Blake still stand as two of the strongest contestants ever. Artem, Jamile, Destini, Melissa, Melody, and Kamilah all prove to be solid. Snow provides some awesome solos. N*ck wins and considering he is not a good human, there are also some complicated feelings here. Cubanjam, A Song For You, España cañí, You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real), Shake, Jazz Machine, Right Here Waiting, King of Pain, Fever, El Sabroso Son, Toma, Rilassamento, Santa Maria (Del Buèn Ayré), All That Jazz, Knock on Wood, and Message In a Bottle are all good routines. But there is something about this season that just feels less ~special~ than others.

Rei - 16/20 

Ashle, Jamile, Blake, Melissa

Derek - 19/20

We finally arrived at the results! This is the most open-ended prompt because there’s a million reasons why you might love or hate a season. I think we all have our own criteria and I’m sure we don’t always use the same criteria for each season consistently lol. It’s all about HOW YOU FEEL IN THE MOMENT. Anyway, US1 makes me feel not much. The Top 50 Callbacks is maybe the best callbacks of the franchise, but overall the season is rocky. The format is all over the place, dancers doing the SAME duets on the SAME night, inconsistency in how the partners are chosen, Jeff Bezos’s current girlfriend Lauren Sanchez, Allan, no group routines, dumb eliminations… we give thanks to them for paving the way, but it was done better after them by a lot.

Kriti - 19/20

I don’t honestly think this season has too much to recommend it for apart from a few scattered standout routines and one or two solos. US2 was what made the show what it is now, and I think US1 is maybe only useful in setting up that season. I also didn’t love the couple of weeks of two pairs of dancers doing the same routines either.

Megan - 20/20

This should be the obvious last choice. The show was still finding it's footing. It's super weird in the beginning where couples had the same dance. There was a different host, fewer dancers, shorter dances. Etc. It obviously comes away with like some of the best hip-hop on the show with "Shake" and "Toma" as well as some of the best discos. But the winner has essentially made the season unable to be rewatched because he's in many of the best routines. Snow Urbin though, is the single most iconic ballroom soloist and maybe female soloist this show has ever had and that cannot be taken away. 

19. US Season 8

SB8Ccvm.png

xQyIPuK.png

16.1 / 20

Zoey - 5/20

Derek - 13/20

JC - 15/20

Gigi - 16/20

Chris - 16/20

Megan - 18/20

Elliott - 19/20

Rei - 19/20 

Kriti - 20/20

Dee - 20/20

Derek - 13/20

As someone who adores Melanie and adores Sasha and adores great contemporary girls, this season is not that bad to me lol. The men did nothing for me, but the season of the female beasts is still entertaining. Christina Applegate! The Lady Gaga episode!!! Yes, the non-elimination was atrocious and threw off the entire season but that’s okay. This season was the first to figure out the best All Stars format, had great duets, had breakout stars, great group routines. I’m not mad!

JC - 15/20

at least this season gave us King Tadd and Nick Young.

Megan - 18/20

The danger of everybody getting TWO automatic advancements is now we have Season 8 here! Why! I guess "Misty Blue" is so good that we had to talk about it.

Rei - 19/20 

Sasha, Marko, Ricky

Kriti - 20/20

How is this, widely regarded as the worst U.S. season, even in contention for this ranking lmao. It had some standout routines but what season didn’t? Hip-hop and ballroom were dire on this season and even the good dancers were nowhere close to great or my favourites of all-time. And imo, this is when the producer manipulation became really obvious and I see this and US9 as the first serious low point of the American series (16 and 17 being the next probably). At least it gave me Shirk, but that’s honestly a very small positive in the grand scheme of things.

Dee - 20/20

LOLOLOLOLOL. I guess this is another opportunity to shout out Misty Blue, the only reason worth revisiting this season at all. 

18. Australia Season 1

kWFCAWL.png

2SNNwfc.png

14.4 / 20

JC - 7/20

Chris - 10/20

Elliott - 11/20

Dee - 13/20

Gigi - 14/20

Megan - 15/20

Derek - 18/20

Kriti - 18/20

Rei - 18/20 

Zoey - 20/20

JC - 7/20

Graeme and Henry, plus some of the most memorable routines of all time for me.

Dee - 13/20

This might be a default placement? IDK. I do not feel very strongly about AU1. I guess that helps propel it above seasons that I have some negative feelings for? I think that without Rhys, Kate, and Jemma, this season is a flop. Demi, Jack, Graeme, Vanessa, Henry, and Rhiannon, all contribute to the season in some positive way, but not hugely? There are also very few great routines in comparison to good routines. Here all the great routines: Give It To Me, Break It Off, Lo-Lo Dzama, Singin' in the Rain, Fragile, Spider-Man Theme, 4 Minutes, and Message to My Girl.  Here are all the good routines imo: A New Day Has Come, Need You Tonight, Need You Tonight, Gasolina, Brianstorm, O Verona, Fix You, Dancin' Fool, Pony, Reptilia, Kiss From a Rose, Strict Machine, There It Go, No One, Rondo Alla Turca, Overture/All That Jazz.

Megan - 15/20

Out of all the seasons we've chosen, this is probably the first one that I would DEFINITELY put into a Top 20. Albeit at like #20. But I think that's largely because my favorites lie differently than IDF. But I think all the Australia seasons have a consistent quality about them that exists in all three major genres. It's a season with a lot of great dancers and a lot of great dances. But I think the other seasons probably have higher highs and more creativity.

Derek - 18/20

This season always comes to mind when I think of the weakest choreography. Obviously we’re not counting UK lol. But I think this season took a loooooong time to get off the ground and the Australian series was almost dead in the water. The early eliminations make no sense TO THIS DAY. Also part of it might just be my contemporary bias because there was no real ““contemporary”” dancer except maybe Vanessa, because the genre as we know it had not yet been fully established on the continent. I do love Jack and it was fun seeing him win. And Blackbird is an obvious highlight. But besides that there are only really 4 or 5 routines from the whole season that deserve regular rewatching.

Kriti - 18/20

I’ll probably be the only one putting it this low, but I have never loved it as a season at all or been too invested in any of the dancers idk what to tell you. It’s quality sure but I just never… cared.

Rei - 18/20 

Rhys, Jack, Graeme, Kate

17. Benelux Season 2

jvPxIOy.png

siBBSBp.png

14 / 20

Gigi - 2/20

Kriti - 7/20

Rei - 11/20 

Zoey - 14/20

Dee - 15/20

Elliott - 15/20

Megan - 16/20

JC - 20/20

Chris - 20/20

Derek - 20/20

Kriti - 7/20

Rewatching this season has made me realise it was stronger than I gave it credit for and Els and Angelo were exactly as good as I remembered, but I also really liked a lot of other dancers from it! The problem of course being that even if they totally deserved it they did dominate the show from the start and that definitely took some intrigue out of following it. Also Comptine which is one of the SYTYCD all time great moments.

Rei - 11/20

Angelo and Els

Dee - 15/20

A pretty awful season that is only worth discussing based on the strength of Els and Angelo. 

Megan - 16/20

It's a real bummer that most of this season is lost to the ether because it's a pretty good season. But I think we pretty much hit all the highlights with the mini-rankdown of its routines. There are some high highs and there are some really low lows (PLZ one day let me find "Wild Thing" which is maybe the worst routine I've ever seen!!!!). But I think with time, I've actually come to appreciate NL4 more than this one. I'd still rate it higher than NL1.

JC - 20/20

Els and Angelo legit ruin this season.

Derek - 20/20

This was an easy last place for me. Obviously getting high quality subtitled full episodes of all the Benelux Seasons is at the top of everyone’s wish lists in life. But until then, there’s no way to see this entire season. Angels is great, but the rumor around here is that they were the only ones really killing it this season. I’d love to see more from Suzanne and Kris but I simply am unable to. And honestly I put seasons high even based on a single dancer/couple. But it’s just different when you experience a season live. Or if not live, at least in full with no spoilers. 

16. Canada Season 4

r74KnvI.png

VvqVXtt.png

13.9 / 20

Derek - 7/20

Chris - 11/20

Rei - 12/20 

Gigi - 12/20

JC - 13/20

Kriti - 16/20

Megan - 17/20

Elliott - 17/20

Zoey - 17/20

Dee - 17/20

Derek - 7/20

I was stuck between CA4 and AU4, two of my underrated faves, and I went with this because I figured more people would know Canada and it's nice to have the full set from that country in the finals. The rise of Melissa Mitro is probably the portion of SYTYCD that I rewatch more than anything else across the entire franchise. She’s absolutely my favorite international dancer. The only time the praise was undeserved was when she was with stupid Matt Marr booo go home. The trio of Melissa, Lindsay, Jordan is such a treat. Three really unique contemporary girls, both from each other and from a lot of the contemporary girls we’ve seen come and go in other seasons. And the domination of Shane never disappoints. LUTHER. This has everything I look for. True, there is a lot of filler between the good routines lol. That happens when you cast 22 dancers. But the good routines are enough for me.

Rei - 12/20 

Queen Melissa, Lindsay

JC - 13/20

Matt Marr was robbed. Canada just has lots of hot men, so many seasons with men that I am attracted to. I have many types but I think my main type must be Canadians / French-Canadians.

Kriti - 16/20

I don’t rightly think this belongs on a list of best seasons either, honestly. There are very few routines that are true GOATs and as much as I like Melissa I definitely can see how the blatant manipulation in her favour might have turned people off the season. I also… am not a very big fan of Jordan so there is that.

Megan - 17/20

Denitsa and Christian and Melissa and then like 19 other dancers! I think I kind of speak for everybody when I say that instead of expanding the field to 22 in Season 3, it almost would have been better to narrow the field to 18 and have a proper Top 4 finale. Also, Boneless and Carlena and Teya. I liked all of them! But a Top 20 of all time season? Maybe if the field was expanded to Top 25.

Dee - 17/20 

Melissa Mitro, Shane Simpson, Denitsa's solos, and Lindsay's solos are not enough for me to consider this a Top 20 season. 

Edited by FrogLenzen

• FrogLenzen changed the title to SYTYCD Superlatives (Best Season Results: 16-20)

15. US Season 12

3exci0o.pnghuDXLU4.jpg

12.1 / 20

@Deeee - 5/20

@totes4totes - 7/20

@FrogLenzen - 8/20

@kritaaay - 8/20

@*Chris - 13/20

@Elliott - 13/20

@.Rei - 14/20 

@Zoey - 16/20

@taylorkat - 18/20

@JC - 19/20

Dee - 5/20

Underrated season. Possibly the best Top 20 ever? Gaby, Jaja, Virgil, Hailee, Megz, Neptune, JJ, Yorelis, Lily, and Ariana? All fantastic casting choices!!! While the Stage vs. Street gimmick was completely stupid, it at least opened the door for maybe the most interesting and mature cast in the show's history? The competition for the crown between Gaby and Jaja was also very exciting to watch and might be the most evenly matched Top 2 in the show's history. The amount of dances I love from this season is reason enough to rank it this highly: Luminous, Easy, New Dorp New York, Body Language, Ready Or Not Here I Come, Until We Go Down, No Woman No Cry, Time, Gorilla, Promise, Runnin', For My Help, Break Ya Neck, Love Is Free, Duo de Amor, Everybody Wants to Rule the World, Where Or When, Let Go, You There, Commas, Beautiful Friends, 100% Pure Love, Asht, Cellophane, Take My Hand Precious Lord, Lift Me, Earth Intruders, It Don't Mean A Thing, Just My Imagination, Your Day Will Come, Heal, Naacho Re, Kintamani, Let It Go, Infinity, Angel, Let's Face the Music and Dance, Give Me Love, Youth, All Is Now Harmed, Haunted, Sarajevo, Put It In The Bag, Slip, I Love You, Do Not Hang Your Head, All Nite (Don't Stop), Kaolo, Dibidy Dop. Perfect solo portfolios from Jaja, Gaby, and Virgil. A fantastic winner. An incredible season.

Derek - 8/20

Maybe because it’s sandwiched between 2 of the least rewatchable US seasons, but US12 is always a pleasant surprise to me. The flawless Top 2, they finally broke away from having strict genders and only duets for competitive routines, lots of extra group routines which you guys know I adore, and overall there’s just a great amount of routines that were amazing. There were some flaws with how stage vs. street worked, but in general the gimmick made sense and didn’t feel super forced. I do think that they should have had stage vs. street vs. ballroom with Lacey as a mentor. I’m bummed that they didn’t play with this format and instead gave it up and went with the kid season. Wow, so I guess this was the last full Top 20 that we ever got… so sad. The low points of the season? Double eliminations, as per usual. Some of the cringe interactions with the mentors. A couple casting decisions. A couple judging decisions. But in general this felt like a great revitalization of the franchise when it happened.

Kriti - 8/20

I think the Stage vs. Street format was an experiment that both succeeded and should never have been repeated again. Succeeded because it allowed for a LOT more variety of hip-hop dancers, routines and choreographers to get on the show, should not have been repeated because that is a weird dichotomy and does not account for ballroom or any international styles. Plus some of the stuff going on with Asaf obvs. I think it says a lot that three out of the four finalists didn’t do a ballroom during their tenure on the show, but Gaby is one of my favourite winners and I’m very glad she’s proven herself in that genre as an all-star. It was great to see Jaja and Virgil (and Marissa, who followed me on Instagram for a while lmao) make the show and do so well too as an ASB fan, shout-out to Jimmytubes who initiated this round and has now vanished 😭

Rei - 14/20 

JJ, Gaby, Yorelis, Neptune, Jaja

JC - 19/20

other than Asaf being hot, this season has very little to offer.

14. US Season 6

6xv4q1l.jpg

CfPApNp.png

11.7 / 20

Gigi - 5/20

Chris - 7/20

Rei - 7/20 

Elliott - 9/20

Megan - 11/20

Dee - 11/20

JC - 14/20

Derek - 17/20

Kriti - 17/20

Zoey - 19/20

Rei - 7/20 

Kathryn, Ellenore, Legacy, Karen, Ashleigh, Jakob, Russell, Billy. Time flies, Ice cream paint job, On & On, So deep, Tore my heart, Malagenha, Montserrat, Flashing Lights, Hajnal, Outros.

Megan - 11/20

I originally had this season making my personal Top 10 but then Rei posted all the routines from the season and Kriti pointed out how dire the hip-hop was and if I'm going to ding season 5 for that I have to do the same for season 6. What pushes it ahead for me and why I originally had it in my Top 10 because it had some EXTREMELY high highs. From "Tore My Heart" to "2 Steps Away" to "Your Ex-Lover Is Dead" and maybe the single best Broadway in the entire series with "Razzle Dazzle." With the inclusion of Karen, Ryan, and Ashleigh we probably have the last season where there are multiple standout ballroom and Latin routines. Ryan alone gives us the Cha-Cha and Samba with Kathryn and the Argentine Tango with Ellenore. Karen has her tango with Victor. And Ashleigh. Well. I guess her Foxtrot with Jakob? She was a little underused in Latin really looking at it. 10+ years later, the new stage is no longer so distracting that it feels like we are missing the old stage from seasons 1-5. From the number of iconic dancers and dances, it's a no brainer that this season would make the Top 20.

Dee - 11/20

Funky schedule, bad partnerships, injuries and illnesses, an unprepared cast. But US6 still emerges with a lot of good routines and three all-time favorite dancers. Comanche, Beggin', Arcadia, On & On, At Last, Ice Cream Paint Job, 2 Steps Away, Little Green Bad, Violentango, Be Be Your Love, Frog Dance, Blackbird, Your Ex-Lover Is Dead, I've Got To Be A Rug Cutter, Razzle Dazzle, So Deep, Montserrat, Time Flies, Cha Cha Heels, Poison, Tore My Heart, Put Your Hands On Me, Ordinary Day, Machine Gun, Magalenha, Angel Standing By, Kontact Me, At This Moment, Aha!, and Straight to...Number One. Ellenore and Legacy also leave us with two of the most solid solo portfolios ever.  

JC - 14/20

Queen Kathryn carrying this season on her back yet still losing.

Derek - 17/20

Okay so part of my grudge for this season has to do with scheduling. There were NINE entire audition episodes before the first real routine. That is way too much. And on top of that, the godawful first couple weeks where the judges had sole discretion for the bottom couples AND who was sent home. Which led to some pretty inorganic and unfair results. The disrespect of Brandon and Ariana. And on top of all that, they had to have a Top 6 finale!!! Instead of Top 4 like we had in all the other seasons. It felt like a huge departure from the norm. And this was their chance to try and make a fall season work and become a mainstay of primetime television. Totally botched. Ellenore and Kathryn deserved to have a Top 4 finale and ride the momentum that they created. Kathryn after Top 8 week and Ellenore after Top 6 week were revelations. Incredible. And then the season was suddenly over. Billy getting injured, and then Jakob doesn’t even win. I have a lot of respect for Russell but he was by no means my favorite dancer this season and I was displeased. You know what? Russell also deserved to have a Top 4 finale because this boy got shafted week after week with awful partners and awful choreography. If he was going to win, give him a great week as well. I also think that the partners they chose for the Top 20 might be the biggest MISSES that they have ever had when creating the initial couples. So many just… totally mismatched dancers and lost potential. This season has a lot of great dancers and a lot of great routines but all that other stuff makes me think it deserves to rank lower compared to the other seasons. 

Kriti - 17/20

This is a decent season but I think more beloved in hindsight mostly for Kathacy and maybe Ellenore depending on who you enjoy? But I personally think it was very badly affected by the format and they made the mistake of sending a future Oscar winner home in the first week lmao. Russell was like… I like him, but I don’t think he was the right winner at all, and this was also a season plaguèd by injuries to the extent of making it an uncomfortable watch. I do think it probably belongs here over US7 because like… I like them both about the same amount but US6 has more standout routines and dancers imo.

13. Benelux Season 5

YbxjJu4.png

0JHGq91.png

11.4 / 20

Elliott - 2/20

Gigi - 9/20

Megan - 9/20

Zoey - 10/20

Derek - 11/20

JC - 11/20

Kriti - 12/20

Chris - 14/20

Rei - 17/20 

Dee - 19/20

Derek - 11/20

LMAO Dee hating this season, probably just for the winner hahahaha. Freddy’s journey was fun! I guess I liked Vita better than most lol. And this season gave us Kalila and Denden! No hate here. This season gave me the good feels. I was invested in the contestants and the journeys and the choreo was above average for this country. 

JC - 11/20

Hessel and Arno UNF. And I loved twinkie Frederic winning too.

Kriti - 12/20

Also a season I really liked, but I think it pales in comparison to most of the really good seasons of that particular series. Like, it’s as strong as probably a good US season, but within the Benelux series at least three seasons are better (I don’t know about 7). I love a lot of dancers on this season but do think some of them made it a bit too far (Arno, Davinia, arguably Frederic LOL). I can’t wait for this seasonal ranking to be the only Scream and Shout defender (maybe with Patryk if he still loves it also!)

Rei - 17/20 

Kalila

Dee - 19/20

While I support Benelux 5 simply because of Kalila, I think the season is largely awful.

12. Canada Season 3

8KV0ieh.png

EKi2oWF.png

11.2 / 20

JC - 2/20

Derek - 6/20

Zoey - 7/20

Chris - 8/20

Kriti - 13/20

Gigi - 13/20

Rei - 13/20 

Megan - 14/20

Dee - 16/20

Elliott - 20/20

JC - 2/20

Mackenzie Green annihilates. His hip hop groove and hips make me horny. That is all.

Derek - 6/20

I love this season. I love all the contestants. I love the callbacks week. I love the partnerships. I love the choreography. The one misstep is having a double elimination so late in the competition. DO DOUBLE ELIMINATIONS EARLY!!! If not the first week, then the second. Following the journey of these dancers, some of them all the way from CA1, is special. Nathalie!!! Sebastian. Danielle. Charlene. All persistent and working hard to make their dreams come true. And I think I’m the only Jeff truther on the forum but he’s one of my all time top men from the franchise. Janick was unexpected but she killed so many Luther routines y’all. Amanda super consistent with an insane facility. And I think Denys is truly one of the most unique and impressive talents that has come through the franchise. Even Edgar being in the bottom every week was fun because his solos are so fun. Haters in the building.

Kriti - 13/20

Another season with super high highs and super low lows and weird format decisions and judge/producer manipulation affecting it. (and I like Amanda and Denys a lot!) I also actually genuinely can’t remember a lot of routines or dancers from this season and so don’t think there are a lot of true standouts. I think having 22 dancers was a mistake in the first place because somehow it makes things immediately a lot more confusing despite being only 2 more than 20.

Rei - 13/20 

Amanda, Janick, Edgar, Jeff, Denys

Megan - 14/20

Honestly of all my season rankings, I think that putting CA3 above AU1 is my most controversial ranking. The reasoning is simple: Janick is a lesbian. JK (because AU1 has Demi). I think that I was actually higher than most on CA3 because I liked all the major players. Amanda, Janick, Denys are all some of my faves. Jeff even danced in one of my favorite routines of all time. I also think cast-wise it's the most solid of the Canadian seasons. I think what hurts it compared to the seasons I have ranked above is that it has fewer standout routines. But an extremely solid season all-around.

Dee - 16/20

Janick, Amanda, Denys, and Edgar are not enough for me to consider this a Top 20 season. 

11. US Season 2

nhUVkaF.jpg

IQTiyjZ.png

10.6 / 20

Gigi - 3/20

Zoey - 4/20

Elliott - 5/20

JC - 5/20

Chris - 5/20

Derek - 12/20

Kriti - 15/20

Dee - 18/20

Megan - 19/20

Rei - 20/20 

JC - 5/20

Ivan Koumaev just made my life happy. Love is love.

Derek - 12/20

This is the true original season. This is the season that cemented the format, and the dancers on this season are what made the show iconic and made it successful. Benji and Donyelle pretty much single-handedly got this franchise off the ground. And the supporting cast of Travis, Heidi, Ivan, Natalie, Allison, etc., they all contributed as well. Wade and Mia firing on all cylinders. Dancers getting so popular that judge/producer manipulation had zero effect lol. A lot of crunchy routines and couples in the beginning, but it really took off after Top 10. Group routines. A fair and great winner. Pretty solid all around. But I probably like it more for its influence than the actual season itself. 

Kriti - 15/20

As I said, this season set the template for what SYTYCD would become, and it deserves its flowers for that — and Benji was a great and deserving winner, too. But while it had its highs (and even so not as many as the next couple of seasons), its lows were very low, and a LOT of the dancers and choreographers involved in the season ended up being horrible or at least questionable people and that has definitely ended up colouring the season in hindsight.

Dee - 18/20

Another season that is largely very awful, but saved by the sheer domination of Benji and Donyelle. H*idi and Tr*vis both suck, which complicates my feelings towards the season. Natalie is a legend and Some Girls is iconic. Those are my thoughts.

Megan - 19/20

I am a US2 hater. Despite the fact that it has one of my favorite winners of all time. But when you bring in Heidi's terrible and hateful views, the Travis Wall of it all, combined with honestly a lot of uninspiring choreography, it just lands as one of my least favorite seasons. There are obviously still a lot of very high highs (Donyelle/Benji, Natalie, "Ramalama") but it still isn't anywhere near one of my favorite seasons. I wouldn't have included this in the Top 20.

Rei - 20/20 

Benji, Donyelle, Natalie

• FrogLenzen changed the title to SYTYCD Superlatives (Best Season Results: 11-20)
3 hours ago, FrogLenzen said:

Which means the Top 10 seasons are:

US 3

US 4

US 5

US 10

US 14

Australia 3

Canada 1

Canada 2

Benelux 3

Benelux 6

This is a VERY solid list, though I’m unsure if AU3 would make my top ten

10. US Season 14

AYn99kr.png

R72X7YO.jpg

10.5 / 20

@totes4totes - 4/20

@Deeee - 6/20

@JC - 6/20

@Elliott - 7/20

@.Rei - 8/20 

@FrogLenzen - 10/20

@kritaaay - 11/20

@Zoey - 15/20

@taylorkat - 19/20

@*Chris - 19/20

Dee - 6/20

US14 might be the last very good season we experience. Hurts to say that, but this is likely the case. A very good format. Fantastic casting choices in Koine, Kiki, Mark, Dassy, and Robert. Lex and Taylor were definite misses this season, but both of them still produced some incredible work. A second (or third) full season of Gaby, Marko, Comfort, Jasmine H., Jenna, Paul, Fik-Shun, Cyrus, and Allison. Shake Your Pants, Protocol, There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back, REDMERCEDES, Memories, Change Is Everything, Perm, This Time, You Should Be Dancing, Hater, Caroline, I'm Better, Speaking in Tongues II, Otherside, You Don't Own Me, Bring the Funk Back, Ending, The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face, Call Me Mother, Work Song, Criminal, Pop HD, Breathe, Danca Molengo, Shadows, Tilted, Derniére Danse, DKLA, Dancin' Fool, To Make You Feel My Love, Strange, Still I Rise, You're the Last Thing on My Mind, Die Trying, The Other Side, Numb & Getting Colder, Mi Gente, DNA., L-O-V-E, The Rain (Supa Dupa Fly), Both Sides Now, You Matter to Me. A whole lot of great stuff happening here. Interesting solos. Not much to critique other than Lex and Taylor.

JC - 6/20

Koine and Kiki are my faves - such an adorable couple. Some other great contestants this season as well. Plus Robert Roldan as an all-star. US7 was robbed!

Rei - 8/20 

Koine, Kiki, Mark, Logan, Dassy, Robert.

Derek - 10/20

SYTYCD coming in hard after the kid season and proving the magic can still happen! Tried to take a page from the DWTS playbook and stick with the permanent All Stars format. Honestly I think it was worth continuing, but they gave up!!! The US franchise loves to mess around with the format, and then not even keep things that worked. It drives me crazy. They just try different things for the sake of it. Anyway, I love this season getting the praise it deserves even though most of you hate Lex for no reason. Says a lot that this season is so loved even when the winner and entire winner storyline is so loathed lol 

Kriti - 11/20

I usually put this season near the middle of my rankings because everything I’ve seen from it has been really good but I … cannot be bothered to find the whole season… if this tanks it I am so sorry I love you all.

9. Benelux Season 6

kgEUw6X.png

GlQEEPe.png

10 / 20

Megan - 1/20

Kriti - 3/20

Dee - 4/20

Rei - 9/20 

Gigi - 10/20

Zoey - 11/20

Chris - 15/20

Derek - 15/20

Elliott - 16/20

JC - 16/20

Megan - 1/20

Hands down I think that this has been my favorite season since I've first watched it. And I think that's directly due to how much I like Tamara, Anneke, and Ellen.

Kriti - 3/20

The next season I followed live and I’m so happy I did! I watched it recently again (in lieu of watching US17 lmaoooo) and it holds up extremely extremely well as a season. I love so many dances and dancers from the season, especially the top two girls, and I think the results were almost completely correct too (the winner notwithstanding and even so I actually really like him!) and I think it just honestly speaks to the Dutch series’ strength that it has more good to great seasons than mediocre to bad ones.

Dee - 4/20

Anneke, Tamara, and Ellen are easily the best Top 3 women ever. From solos to routines. Just amazing. One of the more stacked casts for men as well, though I think we ended up with the wrong final two. Joey, Redouan, and Miguel are awesome, and Giovanni and Danny are in their fair share of awesome routines. When Love, Dirty Talk, Let the Beat Rock, Hometown Glory, Tanguera, Kiss Me, The Power of Love, What I Like About You, Formidable, Scream, When I Saw You, Take Your Time Girl, I Wanna Dance With Somebody, Time After Time, Another Love, Kashmir, Lost, Feeling Good, Dark Horse, The Destination, The Blower's Daughter, Skyscraper. Did I mention all of the incredible solos from Anneke, Tamara, Ellen, Joey, and Redouan? 

Rei - 9/20 

Tamara, Redouan, Anneke, Joey.

Derek - 15/20

This didn’t give me the same feels as some other Benelux seasons did. Danny as the first male contemporary dancer to win for this region was super underwhelming since he did absolutely nothing for me in any routine.

JC - 16/20

I think you hoz introduced me to Miguel being hot. But other than that I don't really know this season since I did not watch it.

8. US Season 10

Krt3D6z.png

Isd8Wsj.png

9.5 / 20

Elliott - 1/20

Derek - 1/20

Dee - 3/20

Kriti - 4/20

Megan - 6/20

Rei - 10/20 

Chris - 17/20

Gigi - 17/20

Zoey - 18/20

JC - 18/20

Derek - 1/20

Even after 10 years the show still had the ability to produce a dancer that would become my #1 of all time.  This is the most star-packed season, for real. Fik-Shun, Jenna, Hayley, Jasmine, Alan, and Paul all went on to have MASSIVE dance careers after this. Aaron’s journey and story was incredible. Cat Deeley saving Jasmine. Jasmine and Aaron’s powercouple partnership that the judges didn’t even originally want. The all star duets were out of this world. I strongly believe that the Top 8 performance episode this season is the best episode of SYTYCD of all time. And this was a full Top 20 season with no double eliminations. Amazing group routines. Fun guest judges. Mary Murphy. The elimination at the beginning of the episode was awful, so they scrapped it immediately! I feel like shows sometimes just ignore complaints like that. Anyway I love this season, it’s sooooo good. 

Dee - 3/20

I think US10 will always be remembered fondly for being the return-to-form the show needed after three really, really bad seasons. We have a full cast again with a normal elimination schedule. Casting diversity. A variety of styles represented. All of that added together leads to a great season. Jasmine Harper, Hayley, Jenna, Mariah, Fik-Shun, Aaron, Paul. Ball, Stay, Enjoy, Sand, Let's Have a Kiki, Puttin' on the Ritz, Can't Help Falling In Love, Elsa, Tears Always Win, Dead in the Water, After Party, They Just Keep Moving the Line, Bring the Noize, Pretty Face, Don't Let Go Yet, Este Es El Rey, You'll Find A Way, The District Sleeps Alone Tonight, Gold Rush, The Gravel Road, Too Darn Hot, Medicine, Move to the Ocean, Skinny Love, Clarity, Dum Dum, Meant, I Am the Best, Wicked Game, Tied Up, Unfaithful, Work Hard Play Hard, I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles), Spiegel Im Spiegel, Run the World (Girls), Hell Good Morning, and The Diva Dance.

Kriti - 4/20

It’s the first season I watched live on IDF!!! I still remember how steamed I was over my favourites not making the final and it had led me to declare it the Worst Season Ever and years later (even just A year later) I realised I was so wrong. US10 has ended up standing as one of the true greats because of the strength of the cast and choreography, despite some semi-wack eliminations at the start. I think my extreme soft spot for it is definitely because I followed it and was so deeply invested in it — literally woke up early in the morning (before school! I was fifteen!) to watch at least the live IDF reactions to each episode, followed along and played the games and prediction stuff here, I even became really close friends with the person who started the SYTYCDrankings tumblr around that time (I wish she’d joined IDF! But I last spoke to her in 2020 and she was doing okay I think). This season just has some wonderful memories for me and I will always love it for that.

Rei - 10/20 

Jasmine, Jenna, Paul

JC - 18/20

I give zero 💩 about this season.

7. Canada Season 2

wtACorg.png

I9Y4hJY.png

9.4 / 20

Elliott - 4/20

Zoey - 6/20

Chris - 6/20

Rei - 6/20 

Gigi - 7/20

Kriti - 9/20

Dee - 12/20

Megan - 13/20

Derek - 14/20

JC - 17/20

Rei - 6/20 

This season gave me JR, no further reasons needed!

Kriti - 9/20

A classic Girls Season, where the top four girls were all extremely strong and wonderful dancers. The men not so much, but they weren’t terrible but they really were mostly just supporting characters.

Dee - 12/20

CA2 might be ranked too highly here, but Melanie Mah, Jayme Rae Dailey, Daniel Dory, and Kim Gingras are four of my all-time favorites. I love them all so much. Which means that I actually care about this season, despite how awful it is when you look beyond these four. Cody, Everett, Vincent D., and Tara-Jean are all good, but not great? But routines like Taking Chances, The Path, Buck n' Roll, So Fine, Pucker Up, Turnin' Me On, To Build A Home, Glory Box, It Must Have Been Love, Conquest, St. James Infirmary Blues, Humpin' Around, The Scientist, En Barranquilla Me Quedo, Sexy Chick, Concerto for 2 Violins, The Jump Off, Ran Kan Kan, This Moment, MelMah's solos, Kim' solos, and Jayme Rae's solos keep me loving this season. 

Megan - 13/20

I have always thought the Canada seasons aired roughly in order of quality, but for my money, Canada 2 has the most inconsistencies which is why I kept it out of my Top 10 personally. It has some really high highs (pretty much everything JR and Melanie and about half of what Kim and TJ danced) but also some really low lows (Austin making Top 10 over Daniel). Once again, you match CA1's men with CA2's women and you have maybe the perfect cast.

Derek - 14/20

This season is weird to me. I had a hard time getting into if for some reason when I first watched. There was a lot of meh in the first half (which isn’t unusual, tbh) and my early favorites were just doing mid and I had a hard time latching onto any dancer. By the time it got to the finale, the one dancer that I thought was fodder the entire season ends up winning lol. This season improves massively upon rewatch, and it has risen in my rankings a lot since then. But it still is this low overall compared to the others. There are some legendary all timer routines in this season, but the men were bad and the overall arc of the season felt stunted, idk why. Shout-out to JR and Kim of course, the two most booked/blessed dancers to come through the entire franchise.

JC - 17/20

this season had potential but the top 4 ended up an ugly mess.

6. Australia Season 3

9wRhTWZ.png

Ti7dR2S.jpg

8.8 / 20

Megan - 5/20

Derek - 5/20

Gigi - 8/20

Elliott - 8/20

Zoey - 8/20

Dee - 8/20

JC - 8/20

Chris - 9/20

Kriti - 14/20

Rei - 15/20 

Derek - 5/20

LOOOOOVE this season. Jessi! My Australian Kayla. I love her so much, just has perfect lines and technique. I’ve commented on Ivy+Robbie earlier in this thread so look at the Best Couple round for my comments on them, but truly one of the best partnerships and they changed the entire course of the season by joining up. Love so many dancers, everyone just seems amazing and you want to root for them all. And omg this is probably the hottest season, right??? A bunch of magical duets, the best set of group routines of all time, a deserving winner, Jason Coleman actually choreographing something and proving he’s not the most useless judge ever lol. I always get excited when it’s time to rewatch this season. AU2 deserved to be in the finals over a couple others, but AU3 is my favorite Australian season.

Dee - 8/20

So many great routines and so many favorite dancers! Jess, Robbie, Ivy, Jessie, and Phillipe are all some of my favorite dancers. Robbie is a fantastic winner. The list of routines I love is pretty long: Love Long Distance, Fallin' Out, Furious Angels, Starstrukk, My Delirium, Silence, Fortune Teller, Bad Romance, Sweet Disposition, Ne me quitte pas, Blah Blah Blah, U Can't Touch This, Little Lion Man, Bombay, I Question Mark, Shake It, When I Grow Up, Talk Show Host, Pop Goes the World, Nobody, Cry Me A River, Velvet Pants, Mein Herr, Memories, The Flower Duet, In My Head, Heart's A Mess, Total Eclipse of the Heart, 3 Words, Take Your Shirt Off, Freak Show. 

JC - 8/20

Ivy, Phillipe, Kieran and Carly, some of my favorite routines of all time from them. Plus a lot of other great dancers as well.

Kriti - 14/20

I like this season honestly probably more than any other Australian season but in general I was never super invested in any of them. This season definitely gave us a lot of standout dancers and routines I enjoyed very much but maybe not any true excellence like the first two seasons did have despite my ambivalence on them.

Rei - 15/20 

Jess, Nick

• FrogLenzen changed the title to SYTYCD Superlatives (Best Season Results: 6-10)

This is what I expected even though I personally like some of the seasons in this set better than the ones coming up in the next. But then US3-5 absolutely was the classic run of American SYTYCD, CA1 was an excellent season and NL3 is just unparalleled quality so overall I have no complaints really.