Contestants Who Managed to Skate By to the Playoffs

Anybody354

7 minutes ago, Gustavo527 said:

Steve Memmolo. 

The guy was very lucky to have two weak opponents in the pre-taped rounds (Delaney had potential but she flopped)

And now he is featured on a Jujutsu Kaisen track lol ("Stand in the Darkness")

• Like 1

I'd say all three crooners I've watched: Lowell Oakley, Riley Elmore, and Austin Giorgio.

I actually did like Lowell and thought that he brought something different in season eight.  But it was clear that both his Battle and Knockout opponents (Kimberly Nichole and Jacob Rummell, respectively) did better than he did in both rounds.  It was also clear that Pharrell was holding onto him to make him something he wasn't.  He's then in the Playoffs before we realize it and goes home on a Nick Jonas pop song that is so ill-fitting to him.  (Seriously.  How hard would it have been for Pharrell to rearrange "Jealous" into a jazzy,crooner-esque version?)

Riley was probably doomed already due to his youth and inexperience, but he was also saddled with that man (which was his own choice, though it made sense, since he did know how to work with old-time genres), who proceeded to keep him over his opponents in both rounds, who were easily stronger than he was then (Natasha Bure in the Battles, Jason Warrior in the Knockouts).  And there he is in the Playoffs, before we know it.

Austin's Battle was montaged, so I'll never know whether or not he fairly beat his opponent there.  But then, Blake saves him after Spensha Baker beats him in the Knockouts when, IMO, he had better save options.  And again, before we know it, there he is in the Knockouts.

Alexa Cappelli. Nothing against her, but..yeah.

Her battle partner (who is a very strong vocalist) quit and that automatically gave her the win. Her KO wasnt very good and she got lucky that her opponent was worse.

Edited by Misirlou
  • Confused 1

52 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

Her battle partner (who is a very strong vocalist) quit and that automatically gave her the win. Her KO wasnt very good and she got lucky that her opponent was worse.

I think she would've gotten stolen in that battle regardless, but I agree she got lucky her partner quit. 

1 hour ago, Misirlou said:

Kelly liked her, but decided early on she didn’t need her, since she was in the exact same lane as her winner. It was always just a matter of time.   

I think this thread could apply to all those “coach comeback” artists where (in most cases) it was clear that the coach did not have any intention of keeping them before they even performed.