Most versatile artists

allistr

Cole Vosbury is the first name that comes to mind. I thought he'd stick with country music, but turns out he did the Jefferson theme in BA, then Let Her Go by Passenger, and the most shocking of all is Adorn by Miguel.

Rose Short.

I mean, take a look at her song choices: John Legend, The Weeknd, Jessie J, Janet Jackson, Christina Aguilera, Paul Mccartney, BLAKE SHELTON, Foreigner, Elton John. Plus, singing with Gwen Stefani and the very next day singing with Yolanda Adams. If that's not versatility, idk what it is. 

• Like 5

• 9 months later...

In terms of singing the most genres, Holly Forbes has to be up there 🤣 Girl went from soft rock in her blind, to jazz in her battle, to soul in her KO, to pop rock in the Playoffs, to country in Top 13, to a power ballad in Top 11, then finally ending her run with a disco song in Top 10.

Whether she did all of those genres well is ……. up for debate… So maybe not the best answer to this thread.

Edited by FloorWax
  • Like 3

Shane Q 😆

No but actually, I’d say Addison qualifies. She did 2 Joni Mitchell songs, but also classic country, modern country, modern pop, Sara Bareilles, Britney Spears(!!)…

But she still had her own style which I think made her appealing as opposed to people who just jumped between genres without really settling on one.

5 hours ago, musiclover46789 said:

John Holiday for sure. He is able to switch it up from jazz to soul to pop and outside of the show, opera and gospel, so effortlessly imo

I dont think he did pop too well. At least not on the voice. His halo cover and his Pompeii performance were his weakest by far. 

I also think his voice didnt have the same quality during the more uptempo part of songs. But I suppose you can say the same for most singers.

Few can beat him in jazz though, and he's probably the best opera singer the show has had.

• Like 1

So usually the contestants that end up tackling songs from multiple genres don't usually do it the genre that it's originally sung in. For example, Rose Short divafied everything. She sung country, but it was very much a powerhouse approach like everything else she did.

I mean, thats still talent and versatility in and of itself, but a different type.

How about contestants that actually blend in to the multiple genres they tackled?

I nominate Morgan Myles. She can sing country, soul, pop while actually sounding like she's part of the genre. She could probably do some rock as well.

34 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

So usually the contestants that end up tackling songs from multiple genres don't usually do it the genre that it's originally sung in. For example, Rose Short divafied everything. She sung country, but it was very much a powerhouse approach like everything else she did.

I mean, thats still talent and versatility in and of itself, but a different type.

How about contestants that actually blend in to the multiple genres they tackled?

I nominate Morgan Myles. She can sing country, soul, pop while actually sounding like she's part of the genre. She could probably do some rock as well.

Morgan gives me Meghan Linsey teas in that respect.

Morgan >>> though but I will admit Meghan’s version of Tennessee Whiskey was pretty great too.

20 minutes ago, nytsch said:

Morgan gives me Meghan Linsey teas in that respect.

Morgan >>> though but I will admit Meghan’s version of Tennessee Whiskey was pretty great too.

Idk man. I'm going through Meghan's performances right now and she's ridiculously good.

I do think Morgan has more range but Meghan has so much power.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

Idk man. I'm going through Meghan's performances right now and she's ridiculously good.

I think the thing for me is, I’m usually not one to complain that singers are overdoing it if it is all good and skillful singing. But Meghan had a couple performances where it really was like that for me. Steamroller Blues was the biggest offender I think but there were one or two others. Of course she had some thrilling performances in there too  (Amazing Grace was epic) and there were just more live shows in S8 so more opportunities to have an off week.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

I think Meghan is quite underrated here. I can see why some people  find her "shouty" but she CAN sing. And IMO, i know she wanted to separate herself from country music during the show, but she was at her best when she sang country. "Girl Crush" and "Tennesse Whiskey" were two of the best performances of the whole season. She is just a natural country singer from my perspective  

EDIT: and i wasn't a fan of "Amazing Grace" but that is probably just me not being a fan of Christian/gospel music being sung on the show :stealth:

Edited by Gustavo527
  • Like 1

Just now, Gustavo527 said:

I think Meghan is quite underrated here. I can see why some people  find her "shouty" but she CAN sing. And IMO, i know she wanted to separate herself from country music during the show, but she was at her best when she sang country. "Girl Crush" and "Tennesse Whiskey" were two of the best performances of the whole season. She is just a natural country singer from my perspective 

I just think she didn’t show dynamics…always at a 10. I just watched her Tennessee Whiskey…it was fine, but pretty basic, IMO. She could sing on pitch and was on Team Blake, so she maximized her potential on the show. 

7 hours ago, nytsch said:

I think the thing for me is, I’m usually not one to complain that singers are overdoing it if it is all good and skillful singing. But Meghan had a couple performances where it really was like that for me. Steamroller Blues was the biggest offender I think but there were one or two others. Of course she had some thrilling performances in there too  (Amazing Grace was epic) and there were just more live shows in S8 so more opportunities to have an off week.

Listened to the performance and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Although I've always liked the singers who just go off in a performance. I do get that it can be too much for most.

7 hours ago, Gustavo527 said:

EDIT: and i wasn't a fan of "Amazing Grace" but that is probably just me not being a fan of Christian/gospel music being sung on the show :stealth:

I'm not quite done with her run yet but I have yet to hear an "off" performance. Consistency wise she seems to be at the top in that season alongside Kimberly.

21 minutes ago, nytsch said:

I’ll say that based on finale performances alone, Meghan was the winner imo. I would say Koryn but I remember not really liking her original song.

I love Meghan, she was my 2nd fav of the season, behind Sawyer.

Edited by Hamza Tufail