SYTYCD Worldwide Rankdown

FrogLenzen

Cycle 14: Bus Dance

zY6j6uW_d.webp?maxwidth=1520&fidelity=grandulMpLGJ_d.webp?maxwidth=1520&fidelity=grandBy6ZfDm_d.webp?maxwidth=1520&fidelity=grandvb78eDl_d.webp?maxwidth=1520&fidelity=grand

The judges and producers might not be able to change how the public votes, but there are many ways they can still try to influence the results. A classic way to bus contestants is to give them a routine that you know they will not succeed at. Maybe you know the routine or the genre will be difficult, or maybe the music choice will be awful, or maybe the choreographer is tough, or maybe you can just tell when something won't get votes.

For this cycle, the rankers get to have more control again. Instead of the public submitting nominations, each ranker must send me a list of three couples that they want nominated in this cycle. The couple at the top of your list is guaranteed to be nominated. If there's a repeat, I'll move down to the next highest couple on your list, and so on. If for some reason we still can't get 8 different couples out of the 8 of you rankers, I'll choose any remaining nominations myself.

Once every ranker sends me a list of 3 couples, we will choose a time that the list of 8 couples will be posted, and everyone will get to cut 1 dancer and save 1 dancer. 

In the meantime, please get those write-ups in!

@*Amanda @sublymonal @*Diana @Elliott @JC @totes4totes @.Rei @Zoey

• FrogLenzen changed the title to SYTYCD Worldwide Rankdown (Cycle 14 Posted)
On 4/4/2022 at 9:36 AM, FrogLenzen said:

@Elliott

156. Robbie Kmetoni (AU3)

155. Serge Onik (US11)

87. Ilona Bekier (PO5)

79. Stefano Giuliani (NL3)

80. Yorelis Apolinario (US12)

Plus a photo for

146. Jessie Hesketh (AU3)

@JC

73. Wioletta "Wiola" Fiuk (PO3)

74. Donyelle Jones (US2)

@totes4totes

93. Kieran McMahon (AU3)

86. Allie Bertram (CA1)

77. Inyoung "Dassy" Lee (US14)

78. Boris Schreurs (NL1)

@.Rei

88. Hannahlei Cabanilla (US15)

71. Melanie Koster (NL7)

72. Denden Karadeniz (NL5)

@Zoey

69. Enora Oplinus (NL3)

70. Ellen Houck (NL6)

Edited by FrogLenzen

On 3/10/2022 at 11:59 AM, FrogLenzen said:

34 REMAINING COUPLES:

caDJWAE.pngdHyDIK0.png
Ania Tarnowska (PO6)  &  Floris Bosveld (NL3)

sVg8zwW_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=grandsFLQg05.png
Anna Kapera (PO4)  &  Ivan Paulovich (NL1)

MGEK0s7.pngxm9Jn4Q.png
Anneke Ghysens (NL6)  &  Phillipe Witana (AU3)

YQ4makN.png5as4vDh.png
Ariana DeBose (US6)  &  Mark Kanemura (US4)

n66ii8c.pngBWyJK9G.png
Chelsie Hightower (US4)  &  Mackenzie Green (CA3)

hMoeDVV.pngxBqG5bT.png
Clarice Ordaz (US8)  &  Nico Greetham (US10)

4YC23LM.png2SEwjX3.png
Claudia Primeau (CA3)  &  Redouan Hergé Link (NL6)

uFFb4Y6.pngIzRSN80.png
Comfort Fedoke (US4)  &  Charlie Bartley (AU2)

t1z6ozZ.pngSQRRudS.png
Courtney Galiano (US4)  &  Evan Kasprzak (US5)

eb8h4rd.png1PRfjT7_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=grand
Els Smekens (NL2)  &  Matt Flint (UK2)

wLp4ISJ_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=grandY9tK6WM.png
Jana "Jaja" Vaňková (US12)  &  Slavik Pustovoytov (US15)

aSGuxlr.pngWAmCbPJ.png

Jay Johns (AU4)  &  Teddy Coffey (US11)

kNzVJOf.pngyuZytAH.png
Jayme Rae Dailey (CA2)  &  Ivan Koumaev (US2)

EkRXzqz.pngfiya8ce.png
Jeanine Mason (US5)  &  Sasha Mallory (US8)

YoCqmzz.png37hjsUU.png
Jenna Johnson (US10)  &  Jack Chambers (AU1)

j7isqy7.pngnpPxhYF.png
Jess Stokes (AU3)  &  Jess LeProtto (US8)

IVoenrP.pngU9GIkuZ.png
Julia Mitomi (NL1)  &  Melanie Mah (CA2)

3n2oRBP.pngpcgfCYk.png
Kalila Hermant (NL5)  &  Vincent Olivier-Noiseux (CA1)

BvJOY7P.pngFw417SI.png
Kate Wormald (AU1)  &  Daniel Dory (CA2)

crStEkB.pngTd7oO9X.png
Katee Shean (US4)  &  Chris "Kiki" Nyemchek (US14)

M5jTBBI.pngPgNmi11.png
Kathryn McCormick (US6)  &  Tadd Gadduang (US8)

1Bxoaev.pnggaAmquH.png
Kayla Radomski (US5)  &  Benji Schwimmer (US2)

Jk5dZBB.pngWWOnzG1.png
Kent Boyd (US7)  &  Miles Faber (CA1)

ZbHCts5.pngksuTI70.png
Lacey Schwimmer (US3)  &  Angelo Pardo (NL2)

2FYLvE5.pngDAYYixf.png
Lauren "Ivy" Heeney (AU3)  &  Artem Chigvinsev (US1)

Wbx08X1.pngEdTEpBe.png
Lise Alexander (NL3)  &  Rhys Bobridge (AU1)

AfIwQ05.pngPfTngvW.png
Makenzie Dustman (US10)  &  Francis Lafrenière (CA1)

xF0TLk7.png0faR5Zc.png

Mark Villaver (US14)  &  Robert Roldan (US7)

9WzmjOe_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=grandJb01Qia.png
Melissa Mitro (CA4)  &  Neil Haskell (US3)

0jJ9bji.png3VKlZ5E.png
Natalie Fotopoulos (US2)  &  Danny Tidwell (US3)

DViBB2k.pngKmrKshK.png
Natascha Dejong (NL3)  &  Edgar Gilbert-Reyes (CA3)

z61mFU9.pngRVljhtH.png
Tamara Arruti (NL6)  &  Timor Steffens (NL1)

5ndcwV4.png1kSfBC0.png

Paul Karmiryan (US10)  &   Russell Ferguson (US6)

8gaQkuo_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=grand6ifNfT0.png
Tiffany Maher (US9)  &  Gev Manoukian (US4)

Here's the list of couples!

131. William Wingfield (US4)

Will made the Top 8 during season 4. For the first 5 weeks of the competition, he was partnered with Jessica King until she had to withdraw due to an injury. He and Jessica danced a Tango at the Top 20, a Hip-hop at the Top 18, a Disco at the Top 16, a Jive and a Lyrical Jazz at the Top 14 and a Contemporary and Quickstep at the Top 12. I think the clear standout of their routines together was their Contemporary ("Silence") at the Top 12, which was one of Tasty Oreo's few good routines over the course of the series. After the Top 10, Will danced with Katee the first week and they had a standout night with another Tyce routine, this time a Broadway ("Sit Down You're Rockin' The Boat") and a Dwight & Desmond Pas De Deux (to David Archuleta's version of "Imagine"). After that, it seemed like a sure bet that Will would last for a while, but at the Top 8 he landed in the Bottom 4 after being partnered with the love of Derek's life, Courtney Galiano, for a lyrical hip-hop and a samba and was ultimately sent home. I was never a huge fan of Will during Season 4, but his all-star appearances in seasons 9 (with Tiffany) and 11 (with Jessica and Jacque) gave me a new appreciation for him.

123. Renee Ritchie (AU3)

Renee-Ritchie.-Photo-by-Chris-Tsattalios..jpg?w=1200&ssl=1

Renee is a jazz dancer that made the Top 12 in Australia's third season. In the first week's showcase, she danced a Jazz routine with Carly and Mikhaela to Ke$ha's "Tiktok". Then, when the Top 20 hit, she had the privilege to be partnered with Regulation Hottie Phillipe Witana. Together they danced a hip-hop at Top 20, Paso Doble at Top 18, Contemporary at Top 16, Waltz at Top 14, and another Hip-hop and Rumba at the Top 12. Their contemporary, their first Hip-hop ("Fallin' Out") and their Paso Doble were probably my favourite of their routines. They landed in the Bottom 3 couples during the Top 14 and Top 12 and, unfortunately, Renee was eliminated after their Top 12 performances. I actually quite enjoyed their partnership, but definitely preferred Phillipe, so I was glad he made the Top 10 even if she didn't.

91. Demi Sorono (AU1)

Demi was a breaker who placed 4th during Australia's first season. She started the season partnered with eventual winner Jack Chambers. Together, they danced a Boogaloo routine at the Top 20, a Samba at the Top 18, a Jazz at the Top 16, a Rumba at the Top 14 and a Contemporary and Hip-hop at the Top 12. Their Samba and Hip-hop were probably my favourite of their routines in the semi-finals. Then, at the Top 10, Demi was partnered with Graeme and danced a contemporary, after which Graeme landed in the Bottom 4. Then, at the Top 8, Demi danced with ballroom dancer Henry Byalikov, where they danced a House and a Contemporary before Henry was eliminated. At the Top 6, she was reunited with Jack for a contemporary routine and danced a hip-hop with Vanessa and Kate. In the finale, she danced a cha-cha with Jack, a contemporary with Rhys and a hip-hop with Kate, as well as a hip-hop group routine with the Top 4. All in all, I thought she had a good run but definitely shone most in the hip-hop routines and her solos, which were some of the best that season. Nowadays, she's still dancing, still living in Australia and is a mom so, good for her.

75. Megan "Megz" Alfonso (US12)

image0-225x300.jpeg

Megz was a hip-hop dancer on the twelfth American season, where the theme was "Stage vs. Street". They made the Top 6 and they were one of the three remaining members of Team Street. For the first week, Megz was paired with JJ and Neptune for a Dave Scott hip-hop. After the vote, Megz was safe and the next week danced with Virgil and Alexia in a Dee Caspary contemporary. Megz was safe again, then at the Top 18, danced a hip-hop with Jim and Moises where they were the clear standout. From then on, their journey continued to rise, dancing a standout contemporary the following week to "You There" with Edson. This was one of my favourite routines of the season and my favourite of Megz. At the Top 14, Megz danced with Derek Piquette and both of them were in the Top 14, but they were both saved. The following week was the Top 10 and Megz would dance a Jazz with all-star Marko. Megz was in the Bottom 4 again, but safe again. Then, at the Top 8, Megz danced a Paso Doble with Paul Karmiryan. I loved seeing Megz dance with Paul, even though this wasn't their best routine. Then, at the Top 6, they danced with J*shua Allen and gave us the Lesbian Magnum Opus that season in their Sonya Tayeh Contemporary routine "Sarajevo" with Hailee Payne. Iconic. All in all, Megz gave us some memorable moments, but there were also a handful of routines of their that I wasn't a huge fan of. Still, I think Top 6 and 75th place in this rankdown is a great placement for them and I am very happy for Megz that they're living their wonderful, non-binary life now.

76. Jessica King (US4)

jessking_peloton_750x422.jpg

Jessica made to the Top 12. For the first 5 weeks of the competition, she was partnered with Will Wingfield until she had to withdraw due to an injury. Together, she and Will danced a Tango at the Top 20, a Hip-hop at the Top 18, a Disco at the Top 16, a Jive and a Lyrical Jazz at the Top 14 and a Contemporary and Quickstep at the Top 12. I think the clear standout of their routines together was their Contemporary ("Silence") at the Top 12, which was one of Tasty Oreo's few good routines over the course of the series. Nowadays, she's busy being a queer icon and teaching peloton classes and has a huge instagram following so. Good for her.

116. Youngkwang "Blond" Joung (AU4)

Blond was a b-boy that made the Top 8 on Australia's 4th season. In the Top 20 showcase, he danced a "Mixed Urban" routine with Joel, Jay and Nadiah. He and Jay were safe after it, but Joel and Nadiah landed in the bottom. Then, in the second Top 20 show, he danced a standout lyrical Jazz with Eden to Lorde's "Everybody Wants to Rule the World". I remember being shook after he landed in the bottom after this since I remember it being one of the best routines of the night. He was saved however, after his Top 18 routines: a Paso Doble with Eden and his solo to Run DMC's "Beats to the Rhyme". I remember his solos being a standout for me too. 

At the Top 16, he and Eden danced a contemporary to "Bring Me to Life" and, again, he was in the Bottom 6. The judges saved him again after he and Eden danced a hip-hop routine and he danced another solo. The next week was the first "Same Genders" week, where he danced a knock-off version of Kent and Neil's "How It Ends" with Michael Dameski. It was good enough to keep him safe for another week though, then at the Top 10, he danced a contemporary routine with Lauren and was safe again. At the Top 8, he danced a Swing routine and another contemporary with Ashleigh Tavares, before being eliminated. I liked Blond, but never really loved him and definitely preferred Michael, Sam and Jay so I was okay he went home when he did. Nowadays, he's apparently still dancing but also a chef in Brisbane so. That's cool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Meysam Noori

meysam_noori_620.jpg

Meysam is a Hip-Hop dancer who competed on Netherlands 4, the most underwhelming of the Netherlands seasons (tied with season 7 perhaps). He was the strongest male dancer that season, as most of the males barring him and Anthony were awful. He was partnered with Stephanie for the first 4 weeks, and they danced a Lyrical Hip-Hop, Jazz, Samba, and Modern together. Week 5, he danced an English Waltz with Nina. Week 6, he danced a Hip-Hop with Celine. Week 7, he danced a Modern and Lyrical Hip-Hop with Anna-Alicia. In the finale, he danced a Modern with with Nina, a Hip-Hop with Anthony, and a Rumba with Anna-Alicia. He finished in 3rd place as the top placing male, which was deserved but the right placement because Nina and Anna-Alicia were the right top 2 that season. I like him, but I much prefer Nina and Anna-Alicia and I'm sad that petty fan wars prevented one of them from winning Benelux 4 in this.

Here is my favorite routine of his, the "Bird Girl" Modern with Nina.

• Like 1

Jahir "Chico" Suriel

yps9IKz.jpg

Chico is an "All-Round" dancer according to Wikipedia, so I guess that means his style is everything? :dead: He was a part of the awesome Netherlands , easily one of the best of the Benelux seasons. He started out partnered with Lise, which was an amazing patnership. During their time together, they danced a Modern, Pop Disco, Quickstep, and Jazz. When the partners switched up, he was paired with Raquel for a Tango which unfortunately was a pretty underwhelming routine and caused both of them to be eliminated at that point. I'm torn about whether or not I would've had him last longer because all of the top 5 guys were great this season. But still, his partnership with Lise was fantastic and gave us some great moments, particularly their Modern and Jazz. Their Jazz to "To Make You Feel My Love" is one of my favorite routines. I think this is a solid spot for him to finish this rankdown in, though.

Here his aforementioned Jazz with Lise that I love.

• Like 1

Hannahlei Cabilla

CT77pxg.png

Remember when we were all focused on Slavessy, Jensen, Magda or Darius and then Hannahlei won and we were all like 🤡 Not that she was terrible, it's just that no one from us really saw her coming and no one was really a fan. She is no by any means the worst winner of the show but she is definitely one of the least exciting one. She had some two standouts routine during her run, her Cha-cha with Cole and her contemporary with Genessy. She also had some solid routines, her broadway with Cole and Salsa with Jonathan. But the rest of her run was pretty underwhelming. I would have preferred Genessy, Darius or a Slavik win over hers, but at least it wasn't Jensen. 

• Like 1

Melanie Koster

Melanie.jpg

Well she has her IG profile private so that crappy photo has to suffice. I never remember what went on during NL7 as I didn't watch it live and just watch some of the routines afterward. From the little I remember, Melanie would probably be one of my favorites along with Fabio or Fabian (I know it's one of those two). I think there was  a hip hop and a modern from her that I liked but tbh I don't really remember what she did and unfortunately for us, the NL7 Wiki Page was never updated. So then let's just review what comes up on YT

Yves Ruth has done way better routines than this but Melanie was good.

Routine was meh but Melanie was good as well. Those feet need some pointing though.

Yep, this is the routine that I vaguely remembered from her. She slayed that hard. She probably should've won her season.

• Like 1

Denden Karadeniz

AoxsNBM.png

Denden was hands down the best male dancer from NL5 and my second favorite after Kalila. He had a pretty strong partnership along with Vivien and they delivered some good routines. Like their first modern and their lyrical hip hop. Post Top 10 he also had some great routines along the way like his hip hop with Kalila, Jazz with Vivian and modern with Vivian. He was very versatile and proved himself in all three main genres imo. He should have definitely beaten Vivian and Frederic, but we know by now that the NL audience often made the wrong choices. In the end, he placed at 4th. Apparently, he's posted some anti-vaxx stuff in recent times which is unfortunate but you wouldn't believe how often I come across with people like this here in Europe.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2021 at 8:10 PM, totes4totes said:

Boris-Schreurs-1.jpg

Boris Schreurs

Sorry JC. You will just have to live with the other many hot men that you’ve moved on to choreo/saved outright. Boris was the Top 12 guy in the first Dutch season. Unfortunately for him he was just fine but not nearly as good as men like Timor, Ivan, Giannini, or Bram. As a jazz dancer he had a bit of a rough go with two standard ballrooms and two hip-hops. But both hip-hops were pretty good. Boris loved a more famous life on IDF as the face of Hovak Testovic, a classic JC redux character who I believe is still featured in his signature. 

Adding to my already existing write-up I am reusing. Boris was also featured on the second seasons of the Holland version of Drag Race in his drag persona My Little Puny. This is where I learned Boris is 6'0" tall. I thought he was shorter. That's cool. He would eventually place Runner-Up winning two Maxi challenges and landing in the Bottom only once. I guess somebody who has seen Drag Race Holland can tell me how he did.

• Like 1

mrDl-xk6_400x400.jpg

Dassy Lee

I really like Dassy and thought she had a shot of staying but I have a policy of not nominating people that I would hate to see leave. And Dassy making the Top 80 is still pretty incredible. Dassy was a contestant on the surprisingly very good Season 13 of the show and was chosen by/paired with Fik-Shun which I think made people discount her (because Fik-Shun is underrated) but I think she pretty much crushed it. And I think one of the best parts of Season 14 is that I cannot imagine Nigel and Co putting Dassy in the show. And it was definitely a shame that she was eliminated so early, especially when you think of the Top 4 that could have been with Kiki, Koine, Mark, and Dassy. (A TRUE DREAM). While her hip-hop routines with Fik-Shun were good (but certainly done a disservice in that no version of SYTYCD really has any actually good popping choreographers on staff), her standout was her Jaci Royal contemporary. It's one of those routines you watch and are thrilled that there are people above the age of 22 that are still allowed on the show.

But where I really actually grew to love Dassy is her work outside of the show with the female popping trio Femme Fatale which she is a member of with Marie Poppins (ROBBED and never made the show!!!!!) and Season 12 Top 20 eliminee Lily Frias (ALSO ROBBED).

Dassy's youtube channel is great and she's truly excellent. It's a shame that SYTYCD can never quite figure out popping and different hip-hop styles because I think Dassy could have had even more standouts than what she was given.

• Like 1

NINTCHDBPICT000457247107.jpg

Kieran McMahon

Kieran was a contestant on SYTYCD Australia Season 3. He was initially paired with Carly. Their only routine I remember off the top of my head is their contemporary to "Ne Me Quitte Pas." Considering he is a ballroom dancer I am sure he had some good ballroom routines, let me look him up. Ah okay, now I am looking him up and I do remember more! His first routine with Carly was a Sarah Boulton contemporary to "Furious Angels" and that was quite good and made he and Carly a standout couple. I also cannot find a youtube, but I think their "Ordinary People" hip-hop was surprisingly good. He was Pinocchio if I remember. After Top 10 he had two weeks with Jess, the first was fairly uneventful but his second week he had a very good foxtrot with her. He was eliminated after that but it was certainly tough competition against the guys and I would have certainly had him in Top 6 over Nick. 

I tried to find a more recent picture of him but this was all I could find in my 30 seconds of looking. I am sure I could get on IG and fine one. They are not dating.

• Thanks 1

tumblr_o7q2si1BNB1sznyklo1_1280.jpg

Allie Bertram

Allie Bertram is a ballet dancer and actress who was on the first season of SYTYCD Canada and eventually ended up as Runner-Up to winner Nico Archambault. She was initially paired with ballroom dancer Danny Arbour and they had some great routines, their quickstep is my favorite of theirs. She then had a great Top 8 week with Miles and a good Top 4. It's easy to see why she was runner-up even though Nico was never going to lose. After the show she went into acting and had some bit parts in some shows. Her biggest role was playing a lead in season 2 and 3 of "Mako Mermaids" which is a show that was a spin-off of H2O. I don't know what she's been doing professionally the past few years since that show ended, but personally she is married to NHL Player Andrew Cogliano who seems to be a decently successful hockey player, though he is missing a few teeth. Which happens when you are a hockey player some times.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1