𝐖𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐲 𝐌𝐨𝐭𝐞𝐧 𝐅𝐚𝐧 𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝

RTV

Paulette Cohn at Parade provides more information about Wendy's injuries.

Even though Wendy Moten told everyone she was okay after her fall on last Tuesday's The Voice elimination show, it turns out nothing could have been further from the truth. Wendy showed up tonight for her performance with casts on both her right arm for a broken elbow and her left arm for a fractured hand at the wrist. She had been rushed to the hospital after last week's elimination show, and X-rays showed the damage that was the result of her fall on the stage after performing with her team.

Even so, Wendy performed an outstanding version of Dolly Parton's "Jolene," and you would never have known that she was injured.

After her performance, Wendy spoke to Parade.com and she told us, "I fell hard and I broke my right elbow, and it dislocated two times. My left hand is fractured, and a little piece is broken, so my sister Mona is out here helping me. She really got me through. She flew out on Thanksgiving Day. It took her away from the family and she's been a real trooper. I just couldn't continue on without her. But the strange thing is, I don't know why I have this energy that I could just keep going. I'll just go day by day but I still feel like I'm still in the game."

Both of Wendy's casts were bedazzled with pearls, not rhinestones, by the costume department for her performance but she says that one of her casts is so heavy she can't lift it without some help.

"I have to go to the doctor this week and they want the swelling to go down and they'll figure out what's what," she continued. "But I'm ready to address it and be smart about it and take it day by day."

https://parade.com/1298889/paulettecohn/what-happened-to-wendy-moten-on-the-voice

• Thanks 1

Entertainment Weekly by Maggie Fremont
Last we saw dear Wendy, she was feeling fine despite taking a big fall onstage. That was only partially true — it turns out she broke her elbow and fractured her wrist on her other arm. So tonight, Wendy's singing with both of her arms in casts. The show tries to nip the whole "Wendy already sings country" debate in the bud by repeatedly telling us that this is more storytelling and less hitting those huge R&B notes, but, come on; Wendy has a pretty large country background. Regardless! We haven't seen her go this acoustic up to this point, and it's not surprising that she nails this song. Kelly Clarkson praises Wendy's "sorrowful" delivery, calling the whole thing "beautifully sad." And Blake is, as always, proud of his artist — especially this week because she chose to honor this country classic by simply singing it the way it was meant to be sung. And, again, doing all that while in two arm casts.

etonline.com by Meredith B. Kile

After wowing the coaches with her subtle and striking cover of "Jolene," Wendy got glowing praise from her coach, who was impressed at the way she honored the original and pushed through her difficult week. "America, I've never seen a better example of strength and perseverance and fearlessness," Blake said, urging viewers to vote for Wendy, who made it clear that she's not letting the injuries get her off track. "I have been a solo artist before, and I lost that, and I have the opportunity to make that happen again," she said. "I'm so close and I just can't see me giving that up."

GoldDerby by Denton Davidson and Marcus James Dixon
Up next is the unbreakable Wendy Moten from Team Blake singing a Dolly Parton classic, "Jolene." Her right elbow is busted and her left wrist is fractured from last week's fall, but the show must go on! It's an intimate setting with a guitar player at Wendy's side as she sings out from center stage. I like this reserved side of Wendy and it's probably one of my favorite performances from her. Blake and John are on their feet and John says Wendy is perfect every week. He's transfixed by her. Kelly calls it "beautifully sad" and Blake emphasizes Wendy's restraint and compliments her for letting the melody speak for itself.

idolchatteryd.com by Mark Franklin
A perfectly fine performance of the Dolly classic, which is what I’d expect from a woman who released an album of country covers last year, has appeared on the Grand Ole Opry stage and was supposed to be doing a genre challenge song Monday night. Grade: B

Regardless of your view on the genre challenge, I’m pretty sure everyone can agree on this: All singers should play by the rules. Tonight, that’s not the case. Specifically, Wendy Moten of Team Blake is not stepping outside her genre by singing Dolly Parton’s “Jolene.” Let’s see, Wendy’s last major release was a 2020 album of covers produced by Vince Gill. It’s classified as Americana on Apple Music, but includes songs by George Jones, Tammy Wynette, Ernest Tubbs (!), Bobby Gentry and, yep, Dolly Parton. Wendy’s been Nashville-based for the past 23 years and toured with Faith Hill, Tim McGraw, Martina McBride and Vince Gill during that time. And she made her debut on the Grand Ole Opry stage in April 2019 and has since returned to that stage on multiple occasions. Given that background, how is singing a country song stepping outside her genre?

MJsBigBlog by MJ Santilli
OH BOY. She actually did hurt herself when she fell last week. She ended up in the hospital with a broken elbow and she fractured her left wrist. OUCH. Repeating myself: Wendy singing country IS NOT A CHALLENGE. She has collaborated with a ton of country singers. Blake waves it away saying she's been BACKUP for country singers. And it's not the same thing. Welp. She's duetted with country singers, but OK. Wendy promises she won't break anything else, but if she does, they'll just have to wheel her on and off the stage.

She sings the song in a lower key than Dolly. It really shows off her beautiful lower range. She has such a gorgeous and unique tone. This rendition of the classic is soulful, but still retains country elements. She hasn't changed the arrangement much at all. She didn't follow the assignment. But I'm over it. John calls Wendy "perfect" and performance "religious." He says, "I was transfixed." Kelly congratulates her for being professional while suffering an injury. Blake talks about Wendy's restraint, and how she honored the original. He compliments her strength, ability to persevere and fearlessness.

Wendy Moten stayed in familiar country territory, but she performed a masterful take on Dolly Parton's "Jolene." And that's with a bunch of broken bones after a nasty fall last week. She's in it to win it, clearly.

TalentRecap by Jill O'Rourke
The Voice Season 21 returned on Monday night, as the live shows continued in Challenge Week. The Top 10 artists stepped out of their comfort zones to try out different genres and styles. It was an appropriate theme, because tonight's episode made it clear just how much these artists have on their plates as they compete on the show. Wendy Moten returned after her scary fall during last week's results show, and Hailey Mia is juggling her freshman year of high school in addition to being the youngest competitor.

During last Tuesday's results show, Wendy Moten fell on stage after performing with Team Blake. She seemed in good spirits when talking to host Carson Daly afterward, but she ended up having to go to the hospital with a broken elbow and fractured wrist.

This week, Wendy returned to the stage with casts on both her arms to take on a cover of "Jolene" by Dolly Parton, and she nailed it. Although Wendy has experience singing backup for country artists, she doesn't consider herself one. But she was totally up to the challenge. She kept the performance subtle and heartbreaking, and the coaches praised her restraint.

John Legend called it a "religious" experience, saying he was "under your spell." Kelly Clarkson called it "beautifully sad," while Blake Shelton complimented Wendy's "strength and perseverance."

TVLine by Charlie Mason
When Carson Daly announced that Wendy would be tackling Dolly Parton next, I might have said aloud, "Oh, thank God." I really needed to clean out my ears after Holly's crash-'n'-burn. Although how a country number was outside Wendy's comfort zone is beyond me; we've all been told how much and how regularly she sings country. At any rate, when the spotlight fell on Wendy, who had a broken elbow and fractured hand after her tumble last week, she slayed vocally; she always does, right? And I wasn't expecting her to bop around or anything, injured as she was, but an expression that didn't make her look zombified would've gone a long way toward making her look like she was remotely invested in the song or the lyrics that she was singing. So I'm giving her an A, but to be clear, that's for the vocal only. Performancewise, I kept waiting for Wendy to show up. Grade: A

Yahoo!Entertainment by Lyndsey Parker (Editor in Chief, Yahoo Music)

On The Voice's top 11 results show last week, Team Blake contestant Wendy Moten face-planted on live TV after tripping over a monitor — a scary moment that temporarily halted production. Later on in that episode, Wendy, a consummate professional with a show-must-go-on attitude, put on a brave face and claimed that she was just "a little bruised." But on this week's top 10 performance show, viewers learned that her injuries were actually quite serious.

It was "Challenge Week" on The Voice this Monday, which meant that the top 10 contestants were tasked with singing songs from genres outside their respective comfort zones. Wendy, a seasoned background vocalist who has performed with Vince Gill, Carrie Underwood, and Martina McBride (and can handle just about any genre), probably wasn't all that challenged being assigned a country song, Dolly Parton's "Jolene." But it probably was challenging for her to perform in not one but two arm casts.

"So, you had the fall onstage. The next thing I know, you're telling [Voice host] Carson [Daly] you're OK. Next thing I know, we were going to do rehearsals that night, and you're in the hospital," gasped Wendy's coach, Blake Shelton. As it turned out, Wendy broke her right elbow and fractured her left hand when she "fell down pretty hard" last Tuesday. But that didn't deter her from returning to the Voice stage this week to give it her all. "Just promise me you won't break both your legs," Blake joked, to which she quipped, "I'm not breaking nothin'! They'll have to wheel me out in a wheelchair, and I'll sing and they can wheel me back out."

And so, as usual, Wendy made it all look easy — and not just because her on-point June Carter/Kacey Musgraves/Lana Del Rey styling effectively incorporated two glamorously bedazzled casts. Her intimate version of the country classic (which has been covered by everyone from Miley Cyrus and Lil Nas X to the Sisters of Mercy, Strawberry Switchblade, and the White Stripes) was flawless, showcasing her gorgeously resonant lower register. All of the panel was suitably impressed.

"I know what your week has been like. I mean, kudos to you for even being on the stage right now and getting it done," marveled Kelly Clarkson. "To come out here like nothing happened to you and you're perfectly fine, and to tell a story like that in such a sorrowful way, it was so beautifully sad. Well done."

"By the way, America, I've never seen a better example of strength and perseverance and fearlessness standing on this stage. She's here to win this thing," declared a proud Blake.

While Wendy was literally out of her comfort zone, in the sense that she was likely in pain with all those broken bones, her fellow nine semifinalists were pushed in other ways.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kurumi said:

Song suggestions for Semi-Finals:

I'm Going Down by Mary J. Blige

And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going by Jennifer Holliday

Through the Fire by Chaka Khan

These are some big songs! 😮  I think Wendy could pull them off though. ;) 

Edited by Bk1234

3 hours ago, RTV said:

Paulette Cohn at Parade provides more information about Wendy's injuries.

Even though Wendy Moten told everyone she was okay after her fall on last Tuesday's The Voice elimination show, it turns out nothing could have been further from the truth. Wendy showed up tonight for her performance with casts on both her right arm for a broken elbow and her left arm for a fractured hand at the wrist. She had been rushed to the hospital after last week's elimination show, and X-rays showed the damage that was the result of her fall on the stage after performing with her team.

Even so, Wendy performed an outstanding version of Dolly Parton's "Jolene," and you would never have known that she was injured.

After her performance, Wendy spoke to Parade.com and she told us, "I fell hard and I broke my right elbow, and it dislocated two times. My left hand is fractured, and a little piece is broken, so my sister Mona is out here helping me. She really got me through. She flew out on Thanksgiving Day. It took her away from the family and she's been a real trooper. I just couldn't continue on without her. But the strange thing is, I don't know why I have this energy that I could just keep going. I'll just go day by day but I still feel like I'm still in the game."

Both of Wendy's casts were bedazzled with pearls, not rhinestones, by the costume department for her performance but she says that one of her casts is so heavy she can't lift it without some help.

"I have to go to the doctor this week and they want the swelling to go down and they'll figure out what's what," she continued. "But I'm ready to address it and be smart about it and take it day by day."

https://parade.com/1298889/paulettecohn/what-happened-to-wendy-moten-on-the-voice

Wow, I had no idea the injuries were that serious. 😯 Wishing her a speedy recovery! 🤞

1 hour ago, RTV said:

idolchatteryd.com by Mark Franklin

A perfectly fine performance of the Dolly classic, which is what I’d expect from a woman who released an album of country covers last year, has appeared on the Grand Ole Opry stage and was supposed to be doing a genre challenge song Monday night. Grade: B

Regardless of your view on the genre challenge, I’m pretty sure everyone can agree on this: All singers should play by the rules. Tonight, that’s not the case. Specifically, Wendy Moten of Team Blake is not stepping outside her genre by singing Dolly Parton’s “Jolene.” Let’s see, Wendy’s last major release was a 2020 album of covers produced by Vince Gill. It’s classified as Americana on Apple Music, but includes songs by George Jones, Tammy Wynette, Ernest Tubbs (!), Bobby Gentry and, yep, Dolly Parton. Wendy’s been Nashville-based for the past 23 years and toured with Faith Hill, Tim McGraw, Martina McBride and Vince Gill during that time. And she made her debut on the Grand Ole Opry stage in April 2019 and has since returned to that stage on multiple occasions. Given that background, how is singing a country song stepping outside her genre?

I know a lot of people gasped when Wendy said she wasn't a country artist. Yes, she's done covers, but has she ever written/recorded original country music? I mean, I can stand in my shower and warble country music, but I'm no country artist. And if, at 57, you can cover pretty much every genre of music except, say, opera, how do you step outside of "your" genre? What a douche.

Lemme guess. He has another act as his favorite and he doesn't want him/her/them threatened by Wendy. Boo hoo.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, greattoamazon said:

Kind of understand her fans frustation when she is capable taking on ain't no way with such an ease, wondering what kind of power ballad that stretch her to the limit. I am wondering too. 

I mean, I think she appealed to R&B/Soul fans with her audition - fans who love big notes and crazy riffs/runs. We as obsessive (in a good way) fans researched her pre-show work and have fallen in love with some of the country/more subtle stuff she has done. So when she does more subtle country songs on the show, her new fans are confused while we are pleased (for the most part.) Needless to say, I have loved each and every performance of Wendy’s on the show thus far. :wub:

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Bk1234 said:

I mean, I think she appealed to R&B/Soul fans with her audition - fans who love big notes and crazy riffs/runs. We as obsessive (in a good way) fans researched her pre-show work and have fallen in love with some of the country/more subtle stuff she has done. So when she does more subtle country songs on the show, her new fans are confused while we are pleased (for the most part.) Needless to say, I have loved each and every performance of Wendy’s on the show thus far. :wub:

Needless to say as well, iam a fans of her since 1995, back when time for change released up till now. such a great great album, classic worthy. She showcased her monster vocal there, if anyone needs proves. though personally i want her go big to shut her "so called haters" off i guess at her age right now we're just so blessed to enjoy and appreciate her performance while it lasts

• Like 1

I posted Google Trends data for each team on the Social Media thread.

The links below contrast only the top artist from each team.

Wendy is evidently still doing well. However, the group names complicate the analysis. The duo has more individual searches than Jim & Sasha Allen searches. I didn't check, but Girl Named Tom is likely getting extra searches for their individual names, too.

Wendy, GNT, Joshua, Sasha Allen: YouTube Search Past Day

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=now 1-d&geo=US&gprop=youtube&q=Wendy Moten,Girl Named Tom,Joshua Vacanti,Sasha Allen

Wendy, GNT, Joshua, Sasha Allen: Web Search Past Day

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=now 1-d&geo=US&q=Wendy Moten,Girl Named Tom,Joshua Vacanti,Sasha Allen

• Thanks 1