American Idol General Discussion

istersay

7 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Y’all are putting way too much stock in an online website lol.

🙂

If you're signed to a major label yes.

But if you are independent?

Still needed. Social media and word of mouth and Youtube videos only go so far.

You'd be kidding yourself if you didn't have an official website as a singer who WON or made Top 3 even. imo 

41 minutes ago, KelseyW said:

If you're signed to a major label yes.

But if you are independent?

Still needed. Social media and word of mouth and Youtube videos only go so far.

You'd be kidding yourself if you didn't have an official website as a singer who WON or made Top 3 even. imo 

Well seeing as how I’ve talked to numerous contestants from Idol about it (as well as independent musicians in Nashville), and one of my friends who is the owner of a management and publicist company in Nashville (he manages a couple of well known country artists and a few people from The Voice), I’m gonna trust what they’ve said.

The trends lately have overwhelmingly showed online websites have little use for anyone newer in the industry who isn’t on a major label nowadays, which is why the majority of the websites you see come up nowadays essentially serve as links curation for all of their various social media platforms. Tik Tok and Instagram are what is driving their engagement and fan interaction. Even with bigger artists that still see usage from their official websites, it’s mostly

related to the ones that have official fan clubs and whatnot that are through their website. (Which again is basically just another form of fan interaction.)

If it helps though, you are right that some of them could benefit from having a better merch store. Unfortunately running an efficient merch store is pretty costly, which is why most merch is just sold in person nowadays. :haha:

Edited by Elliott
  • Thanks 1

Ugh as someone who just bought great merch at Haley's show. It irks me. lmao

She could be making more but her link to her store isn't even live... :dead:

7 minutes ago, Elliott said:

If it helps though, you are right that some of them could benefit from having a better merch store. Unfortunately running an efficient merch store is pretty costly, which is why most merch is just sold in person nowadays. :haha:

I have bought a ton of merch online. Some people were super slow to send it out which is kinda annoying but most of it was pretty painless though. 

• Like 1

Just now, QueenKalie said:

I have bought a ton of merch online. Some people were super slow to send it out which is kinda annoying but most of it was pretty painless though. 

I usually buy it in person because shipping clothes to Canada is like $30 and I don’t wanna drive an hour to my US mailbox to pick it up. :rofl:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, QueenKalie said:

Buying from Kelly Clarkson's store? AWFUL.

I have an autographed insert for Chemistry so it WAS worth it. Even though I STILL need to listen to my CD. :P

1 minute ago, Elliott said:

I usually buy it in person because shipping clothes to Canada is like $30 and I don’t wanna drive an hour to my US mailbox to pick it up. :rofl:

I could see how that would be an issue.  :dead:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TeamAudra said:

I agree on the website, which is why I pointed it out. I call it as I see it, even when it’s my favorite from the season. But, you’re delusional if you believe the rest of what you said.  It’s been a month, and she seemingly has nothing happening. Other than the three covers, what exactly are you referring to? Will is at least out doing gigs. Granted, Will does have a lot of built-in advantages. He just needs to take full advantage of it. 

what else she or anyone else should be doing? no one should put a single in a month or even be expected to do that lol that’s insane and even dumb to advise to the contestants. albums take long months to get done and quick generic singles won’t get you anywhere. and tbh, most of them are still trying to find a solid incoming of resource to invest on their music bc these people are not rich, which is NOT easy and takes awhile. right now they should all take their time to make actual good songs instead of putting out mediocre material. it’s only been one month…. between putting a bad song super quick to capitalize on a small portion of the shows audience and having that getting you nowhere and actually investing in putting quality material, everyone should pick the latter. the idol audience nowadays is not enough to make someone break out so there is no point in rushing things just yet. investing on good songs and releasing a well thought out body of work are everyones best chances at having a solid future at this. respectifully, y’all are overreacting about everyones steps atp.

Edited by wildestinvegas
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, wildestinvegas said:

what else she should be doing? no one should put a single in a month or even be expected to do that lol that’s insane and even dumb o advise to the contestants. albums take long months to get done and quick generic singles won’t get you anywhere. and tbh, most of them are still trying to find a solid incoming of resource to invest on their music. right now they should all take their time to make actual good songs instead of putting out mediocre material. it’s been one month…. between putting a bad song supernquick and having that getting you nowhere and actually investing in putting quality material, everyone should pick the latter. the idol audience nowadays is not enough to make someone break out. investing on good songs and releasing a well thought out body of work are everyones best chances at having a solid future at this. y’all are overreacting about everyones steps atp.

I don’t disagree that it takes a long time to put out good music, but she could be out performing somewhere, since that’s where the money is, at least in the short term. However, I am fully aware that it’s tough sledding for young female pop singers. Her manager should be getting her some opportunities. Other than that, I don’t know what the answer is, honestly. 

6 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

I don’t disagree that it takes a long time to put out good music, but she could be out performing somewhere, since that’s where the money is, at least in the short term. However, I am fully aware that it’s tough sledding for young female pop singers. Her manager should be getting her some opportunities. Other than that, I don’t know what the answer is, honestly. 

that’s fair tbh. but yeah i don’t think we should expect anyone to be putting out music right now. they def need time to figure out stuff, have meetings, try to get partnerships to invest on production and promotion of their music, etc. truly all they can do right now imo is make concerts/gigs and post social media content. which is not a lot but it’s probably all they can do yet. it can be frustrating but it’s a tough process for all of them i’m sure. i bet they wish they had everything figured out but it will probably take them time. 

• Like 3

Yinz I already saw Haley have tickets for Kris Allen and NEED tickets to Hanson's two night Pittsburgh show. 

Abi needs to gig but please don't go on a major tour right after winning like Iam did last year. 

I can't afford to see/meet all these fine singers!! 😩 

2 minutes ago, KelseyW said:

Yinz I already saw Haley have tickets for Kris Allen and NEED tickets to Hanson's two night Pittsburgh show. 

Abi needs to gig but please don't go on a major tour right after winning like Iam did last year. 

I can't afford to see/meet all these fine singers!! 😩 

I'm not sure that's a great reason to not go on tour. :dead:

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, QueenKalie said:

I'm not sure that's a great reason to not go on tour. :dead:

Not a headlining tour I mean. Lol

Like if Abi starts off opening for bigger singers that would rock. 👌 

3 minutes ago, KelseyW said:

Not a headlining tour I mean. Lol

Like if Abi starts off opening for bigger singers that would rock. 👌 

That would be more expensive for you then her headlining her own tour though.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, QueenKalie said:

That would be more expensive for you then her headlining her own tour though.

True.

Ugh. No happy medium here. 😩

9 minutes ago, KelseyW said:

True.

Ugh. No happy medium here. 😩

The Abi headlining tours are the middle ground. If you can't pay the 20 or 30 dollars that will cost then I guess you just have to stick to listening to her on Spotify or YouTube or whatever.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, QueenKalie said:

The Abi headlining tours are the middle ground. If you can't pay the 20 or 30 dollars that will cost then I guess you just have to stick to listening to her on Spotify or YouTube or whatever.

I’m already thinking of trying to go to a tour with Abi, maybe at Coachella Valley if they invite her to perform during their Festival next April.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CarmenSandiego said:

I’m already thinking of trying to go to a tour with Abi, maybe at Coachella Valley if they invite her to perform during their Festival next April.

Coachella tickets are like 500 dollars and that festival looks like a real mess are you sure you want to go there? :dead:

Edited by QueenKalie
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, QueenKalie said:

Coachella tickets are like 500 dollars and that festival looks like a real mess are you sure you want to go there? :dead:

The 500 dollars would be the deal breaker, unfortunately.  I don’t have a lot of money.  Sigh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, CarmenSandiego said:

The 500 dollars would be the deal breaker, unfortunately.  I don’t have a lot of money.  Sigh.

Yeah probably not the best idea to pick the most expensive festival out there then. 😂

• Haha 1

Never in a million years would I pay $500 to listen to someone sing. Also…I hate crowds. Especially crowds full of drunk people. I’ll catch the highlights on YouTube. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Never in a million years would I pay $500 to listen to someone sing. Also…I hate crowds. Especially crowds full of drunk people. I’ll catch the highlights on YouTube. 

I have never been to Coachella and have no real desire to go to Coachella. And while I have never spent 500 dollars on a ticket alone I probably spent a grand in total at Cmafest a little bit ago.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, QueenKalie said:

I have never been to Coachella and have no real desire to go to Coachella. And while I have never spent 500 dollars on a ticket alone I probably spent a grand in total at Cmafest a little bit ago.

I think CMA Fest is a little different. It’s more of a vacation over a period of several days. You would have spent at least that much no matter where you went. Coachella is probably hot AF, stinks, puke, etc. I have better things to do with $500! 

• Haha 1