American Idol General Discussion

istersay

I’m biased bc I’m captivated by Abi, so this might be ridiculous. But is it possible she’s purposely laying low until the 19 Recordings exclusive period expires?

it feels to me like she’s got one of the highest upsides we’ve seen out of a winner in a while. Uniquely talented pop singer, marketable to the mainstream, attractive, etc. 

I’m less than thrilled with her first two singles, and I think she is too based on a comment I saw her make in an interview. Maybe she wants better original music under her belt before putting herself out there…I don’t freaking know. I just know I’ll be very disappointed if she doesn’t at least have some level of success. 

18 minutes ago, QueenKalie said:

KB has gigs though it's just Abi at the moment that's doing nothing. :dead:

Whatever gigs KB has probably has nothing to do with Groundwork. Same with Blake. They were going to get those gigs anyway. Groundwork is just there to take their cut. 

I’m beyond caring that much about it. I have favorites who practically quit music after years of trying hard, and others who sat around waiting for stuff to fall in their lap. There are others still grinding every day. Sure, it would be fun for one of them to make it big, but it doesn’t affect my life either way.  

Edited by TeamAudra

On 6/16/2024 at 7:15 PM, TeamAudra said:

The one who I recall busting a** immediately after the show was Gabby. I didn’t even watch much of the season, and I’m not a fan of her music, but I do remember that much.  

Chayce was hustling after his season ended, too. This place just hated him winning and never wanted to acknowledge it. :haha:

But once the hype of his win started to dwindle, he put out a remix of 23 to keep people interested. Then he did a few gigs with Luke Bryan iirc, and put out a song with Lindsay Ell when she was hosting some shows.

He’s been consistently doing gigs and was releasing a new song every few months between his EP and album coming out, and is still doing his headlining tour atm.

He also consistently had a large audience show up for his performances at CMA Fest and his M&G lines filled up before the actual signings began.

He’s just now hitting #1 and getting platinum certifications, but he’s definitely been at it since his season ended. (and it’s worth mentioning he won in 2021, when a good chunk of places were still under COVID restrictions and whatnot.)

Edited by Elliott
  • Like 2

And now Abi’s recent covers are gone from her Instagram. What is going on lol. 

I know it’s a little silly to obsess over this stuff but it’s kinda fun too. Like following your favorite sports teams moves in the offseason 

Yeah, based on all the evidence, nobody wants to offer gigs to Abi (they probably saw her atrocious, god awful Celine Dion's cover, that one probably ruined her whole career) , so she accepted that she is never gonna be succesful in the industry and she just decided to quit music and delete her reels on social media.  

That's how some of y'all sound lol.

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Elliott said:

Chayce was hustling after his season ended, too. This place just hated him winning and never wanted to acknowledge it. :haha:

But once the hype of his win started to dwindle, he put out a remix of 23 to keep people interested. Then he did a few gigs with Luke Bryan iirc, and put out a song with Lindsay Ell when she was hosting some shows.

He’s been consistently doing gigs and was releasing a new song every few months between his EP and album coming out, and is still doing his headlining tour atm.

He also consistently had a large audience show up for his performances at CMA Fest and his M&G lines filled up before the actual signings began.

He’s just now hitting #1 and getting platinum certifications, but he’s definitely been at it since his season ended. (and it’s worth mentioning he won in 2021, when a good chunk of places were still under COVID restrictions and whatnot.)

He seems to understand that there are no short cuts. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LuckyCajun said:

I’m biased bc I’m captivated by Abi, so this might be ridiculous. But is it possible she’s purposely laying low until the 19 Recordings exclusive period expires?

it feels to me like she’s got one of the highest upsides we’ve seen out of a winner in a while. Uniquely talented pop singer, marketable to the mainstream, attractive, etc. 

I’m less than thrilled with her first two singles, and I think she is too based on a comment I saw her make in an interview. Maybe she wants better original music under her belt before putting herself out there…I don’t freaking know. I just know I’ll be very disappointed if she doesn’t at least have some level of success. 

I loved “This Isn’t Over”, but her first song might not be as good.

I’m not going to work myself up over how long it’ll take for Abi to become successful.  I believe that she’ll be a star, it’ll just take time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CarmenSandiego said:

I loved “This Isn’t Over”, but her first song might not be as good.

I’m not going to work myself up over how long it’ll take for Abi to become successful.  I believe that she’ll be a star, it’ll just take time.

Nobody in the ABC era of Idol became a star. I don't even count Chayce as one until he has some semblance of longevity. Gabby could have become a star, but she took too much time off when she was breaking out, and her career prospects suffered as a result.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LuckyCajun said:

Ah, they moved to a different folder on Instagram. Old person mistake. My bad. 

Btw, how do I get permissions so that all my posts don’t have to be approved on this forum?

I think it's because you are a new member?

I have been posting for eons on here so...

I would think that's why. 🤔 

2 hours ago, LuckyCajun said:

Ah, they moved to a different folder on Instagram. Old person mistake. My bad. 

Btw, how do I get permissions so that all my posts don’t have to be approved on this forum?

I don't remember what year this was introduced, but IDF eventually had a policy forcing new users to need approval for their posts until they showed they weren't toxic/aren't spammers. None of your 10 posts look toxic, so maybe try PMing istersay and see what she has to say about ending the new user period for you.

• Like 1

I remember Chayce a few years ago on social media asking if any songwriters wanted to write together in Nashville. This seemed to be during his "downtime." I remember some people wondering why people didn't want to work with him, thinking he's "begging," going to be an unsuccessful singer, etc. He was still doing songwriting sessions at the same time. I thought this was an example that he was working hard & trying to learn from other songwriters even when they weren't arranged by the label. I feel like the successful Idol alums have drive. Not saying that this is the only factor in doing well in the music business, but hard work & drive are important factors. 

Edited by ptebwwong
  • Like 3

has anybody here been following the drama of Katy's comeback single? 

for those who haven't - it's a female empowerment anthem titled "Woman's World", but a headline came out today from Rolling Stone that the album is produced by Dr. Luke - the man who r worded Kesha (not sure if that word is allowed to be said on here)

if the song/album flops it might not be long before she is back to Idol lol. 

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Gustavo527 said:

Yeah, based on all the evidence, nobody wants to offer gigs to Abi (they probably saw her atrocious, god awful Celine Dion's cover, that one probably ruined her whole career) , so she accepted that she is never gonna be succesful in the industry and she just decided to quit music and delete her reels on social media.  

That's how some of y'all sound lol.

basically this. i stopped reading this thread bc people sound lowkey insane.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Elliott said:

You are making it sound like Chayce independently decided to put out the 23 remix and the Lindsay Ell duet. But he was signed to BBR (so was she) when those recordings were released. The label was in charge of the decision to put out those songs. 

I’m not saying that he doesn’t work hard, but like all signed artists, his release schedule is subject to the whims of his label.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AngelaKD said:

You are making it sound like Chayce independently decided to put out the 23 remix and the Lindsay Ell duet. But he was signed to BBR (so was she) when those recordings were released. The label was in charge of the decision to put out those songs. 

I’m not saying that he doesn’t work hard, but like all signed artists, his release schedule is subject to the whims of his label.

Would they have made those decisions had be been sitting home, doing nothing? Would they have signed him in the first place? 

It’s been stated that his album isn’t doing very well. It’s actually hard to believe, considering “23” has 219M Spotify plays. But it’s true. 

It’s a tough business. 

• Like 1

On 6/19/2024 at 8:25 PM, TeamAudra said:

Would they have made those decisions had be been sitting home, doing nothing? Would they have signed him in the first place? 

It’s been stated that his album isn’t doing very well. It’s actually hard to believe, considering “23” has 219M Spotify plays. But it’s true. 

It’s a tough business. 

I think that when a new label takes over they tend to try a bit harder for the first couple of years. 

BMG/BBR put out a bunch of Noah Thompson songs, plus an EP before they pulled the plug.

We’ll see how much patience they have with Huntergirl.

Now they’ve moved to the “should we even bother to sign the winner” stage of life as the designated label.

Edited by AngelaKD

15 hours ago, AngelaKD said:

I think that when a new label takes over they tend to try a bit harder for the first couple of years. 

UMG/BBR put out a bunch of Noah Thompson songs, plus an EP before they pulled the plug.

We’ll see how much patience they have with Huntergirl.

Now they’ve moved to the “should we even bother to sign the winner” stage of life as the designated label.

They've sadly been Team Huntergirl since her platinum audition....

Lol

I don't like her nor do I think she's all that and a bag of chips.

Anyway. Is it still Hollywood Records aka we don't give a shiiii what happens to the winner we'll just sign who's popular? ;) 

52 minutes ago, KelseyW said:

They've sadly been Team Huntergirl since her platinum audition....

Lol

I don't like her nor do I think she's all that and a bag of chips.

Anyway. Is it still Hollywood Records aka we don't give a shiiii what happens to the winner we'll just sign who's popular? ;) 

Hollywood Records was the label for the first 3 years of ABC Idol. It’s been the UMG umbrella but with everyone ending up at the BBR Music country label since Chayce’s season.

I don’t think any Idol alums are a still signed to HR. I’m not even sure if 19R has any outstanding contracts from the first 3 ABC seasons.

• Sad 1