American Idol General Discussion

istersay

23 minutes ago, StarWalker1 said:

Abi sounded fine ... it wasnt meant to be taken that seriously lol

in fact, yall should check out her other covers! ;)

https://www.instagram.com/abicartermusic/reel/C7-wz3nNKcn/ - Shallow

https://www.instagram.com/abicartermusic/reel/C8Cyzb7voOl/ - Save Your Tears

I’ve listened to those (they are good) and both of her originals a few times each. I’m very dedicated! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TeamAudra said:

We could talk about Abi’s latest cover instead. 

Celine…

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C8IU_vBS2Ow/?igsh=ajJhZTRqOXB3Yjl3

I’m gonna need @QueenMae16take on this one. 

Lol, that cover ain't it, pretty much a mess but even Abi probably knows that :haha:

She needs to stop pushing her range, which is what she usually tried to do the whole time on the show.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, QueenMae16 said:

Lol, that cover ain't it, pretty much a mess but even Abi probably knows that :haha:

She needs to stop pushing her range, which is what she usually tried to do the whole time on the show.

Yeah…and I’m sure you’ve seen me comment when my favorites sing something I don’t like, so it’s not like I’m picking on her. The other two are good, and this one is not. 

I’ve never heard a Celine cover that I liked. I don’t even see the point in making the attempt. However, this one does seem like more of a joke post, since she seems to imply that she knows it’s not very good. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Yeah…and I’m sure you’ve seen me comment when my favorites sing something I don’t like, so it’s not like I’m picking on her. The other two are good, and this one is not. 

I’ve never heard a Celine cover that I liked. I don’t even see the point in making the attempt. However, this one does seem like more of a joke post, since she seems to imply that she knows it’s not very good. 

Yeah, I'll admit if a performance is meh or a trainwreck for faves, especially for a Celine rendition(no one escapes my wrath there lol) her other covers mentioned were much better and fit her more.

Very rare for a Celine cover to be done justice, a couple better than others and of course a miracle to be done justice. From Idol, Kelly's "I Surrender" herself from just being 20 years old was absolutely fantastic, just imagine her doing it now(I would love to hear it)

I don't think anyone on Idol could do it like her but they can "try" if they want to go home :haha:

I'm glad Abi doesn't take it seriously, just seemed to want to have fun with that clip.

Edited by QueenMae16
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, QueenMae16 said:

Yeah, I'll admit if a performance is meh or a trainwreck for faves, especially for a Celine rendition(no one escapes my wrath there lol) her other covers mentioned were much better and fit her more.

Very rare for a Celine cover to be done justice, a couple better than others and of course a miracle to be done justice. From Idol, Kelly's "I Surrender" herself from just being 20 years old was absolutely fantastic, just imagine her doing it now(I would love to hear it)

I don't think anyone on Idol could do it like her but they can "try" if they want to go home :haha:

OK, I can see Kelly pulling it off, but we’re talking about something like one in a million. It’s a an even bigger risk than covering Whitney. 

Granted, her hard core fans in the comments think it’s great! 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

OK, I can see Kelly pulling it off, but we’re talking about something like one in a million. It’s a an even bigger risk than covering Whitney. 

Granted, her hard core fans in the comments think it’s great! 

It's Minivan voting against women, but there's a reason why most who dare cover Celine get eliminated(even the males face this problem, as seen on The Voice as well)

At least Abi fans can enjoy it, if they like it then good for them!

Edited by QueenMae16

Sorry thought you were poking fun. Lol

It was good UNTIL she went for a long note. Lmao Julia did the Instagram thing with her. Abi said she ATE aka did a better job than her. Lol

Why always sad boat sink song and never That's The Way It Is. God what a power pop song back in the mid 90s. 🙌 

2 hours ago, KelseyW said:

Why always sad boat sink song and never That's The Way It Is.

This song is a bop, but even the less diva-leveled songs from her still need higher demands. I know a battle of this song from The Voice in recent seasons that not only did it not meet the expectations, but it was also a straight-up butchery.

Edited by allistr
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, QueenMae16 said:

It's Minivan voting against women, but there's a reason why most who dare cover Celine get eliminated(even the males face this problem, as seen on The Voice as well)

At least Abi fans can enjoy it, if they like it then good for them!

There’s also a big difference between recording a cover, and attempting it live with millions of people watching. Don’t do it! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

Well, there’s a reason why I recommended that nobody should try a Celine song during the voting rounds.  Celine songs are very difficult to sing.  At least Abi never tried to sing a Celine song while on the show.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CarmenSandiego said:

Well, there’s a reason why I recommended that nobody should try a Celine song during the voting rounds.  Celine songs are very difficult to sing.  At least Abi never tried to sing a Celine song while on the show.

In general, they shouldn’t cover the divas unless they can:

a) Come reasonably close to the original. Even if they do, there will still be comparisons made, but at least they’ve displayed vocal competence. 

b) Make it their own. Don’t try to sing it like Whitney, etc. This is my preference, but it doesn’t come without risk. Abi is actually pretty good at this. 

3 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

In general, they shouldn’t cover the divas unless they can:

a) Come reasonably close to the original. Even if they do, there will still be comparisons made, but at least they’ve displayed vocal competence. 

b) Make it their own. Don’t try to sing it like Whitney, etc. This is my preference, but it doesn’t come without risk. Abi is actually pretty good at this. 

Yeah, you really shouldn’t sound like Whitney or Celine if you’re trying to do one of their songs.  This shouldn’t be a karaoke show.  And even if Abi couldn’t come reasonably close to Celine, at least she can make diva songs more like her own style.

• Like 1

The S22 contestants are now entering the “danger zone.” It’s been nearly a month since the confetti dropped, and most fans will stop paying attention soon (those who haven’t already). Some will hang on longer than others, but we’ll see a gradual reduction in Instagram likes, etc. over time. By the time they release new music, it will be too late for most of them. I’ll bet none of them fully understand this. 

Edited by TeamAudra

8 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

The S22 contestants are now entering the “danger zone.” It’s been nearly a month since the confetti dropped, and most fans will stop paying attention soon (those who haven’t already). Some will hang on longer than others, but we’ll see a gradual reduction in Instagram likes, etc. over time. By the time they release new music, it will be too late for most of them. I’ll bet none of them fully understand this. 

even though his run was not my absolute fave, kayko has been doing a really good job of keeping his fanbase active. He's been posting countless covers + songs literally RIGHT after he got cut ... he's very smart about the game. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, StarWalker1 said:

even though his run was not my absolute fave, kayko has been doing a really good job of keeping his fanbase active. He's been posting countless covers + songs literally RIGHT after he got cut ... he's very smart about the game. 

That’s great! Now, he just needs to figure out a way to monetize it. 

• Like 1

In Will’s case, he has a lot of shows booked up and such, but still no website, or any one place fans can go look at a list of his shows all at once, and didn’t even market his single on TikTok. 

A website seems like the bare minimum to me, but still nothing. He’s leaving money on the table. I chalk it up to not being ready to run a business. Hopefully, he finds help with this soon. 

Edited by TeamAudra

This person followed me on this music app and I found it funny since their top streamed artist was Abi and they streamed her Idol song 1591 times which is a lot lol. They only streamed her other song 10 times so that's quite the difference lol. 

jpeg-optimizer_2506a8b2e72c0bfea1ac9eca2289af01a3713117128d8b24a3713117128d8b24906dc3a47e01bd5732502f3418cb8103Screenshot_20240615-145949-1-1-1.jpg

Edited by QueenKalie

3 hours ago, StarWalker1 said:

Abi’s also doing a good job of keeping her fan base active.  Better than Will at least.  Sorry to say that, TeamAudra, but if he doesn’t even have a website, it’s not a good thing in the long run.

• Like 1

Haley Reinhart has the worst website. 

It started out as a sub like site. Called Reward Music during the pandemic. 

Girl I love you but somebody needs to make you a functional website. 

They still matter. 

18 minutes ago, CarmenSandiego said:

Abi’s also doing a good job of keeping her fan base active.  Better than Will at least.  Sorry to say that, TeamAudra, but if he doesn’t even have a website, it’s not a good thing in the long run.

I agree on the website, which is why I pointed it out. I call it as I see it, even when it’s my favorite from the season. But, you’re delusional if you believe the rest of what you said.  It’s been a month, and she seemingly has nothing happening. Other than the three covers, what exactly are you referring to? Will is at least out doing gigs. Granted, Will does have a lot of built-in advantages. He just needs to take full advantage of it.