DWTS 29 Week 8 Discussion Thread

*Amanda

All the judges saved Skai. Fair call.

Well done to Chrishell & Gleb making it this far. I never would have ever thought they would have made it this far! :dead: But well done and she was showing some growth with her last few dances. ❤️ 

~My Dancing with the Stars 29 Week 8 Review~

Preface- A week without a 10 and another contestant that doesn’t seem to wanna land in the bottom and 2 emerges.

1. Kaitlyn/Artem (Jive) 25/30: I love how you could tell she was having more fun this week with the Jive and she did a lot of Jive content as well. She was going without a bit more attack, but Artem kind of choreographed this as more a Swing styled Jive, but all in all a really good dance for her. My score: 26/30

2. Nev/Jenna (Viennese Waltz) 27/30: It was mildly boring if I do recall. I just remember thinking “hmm, that was nice” and literally nothing else. My score: 26/30

3. Justina/Sasha (Samba) 27/30: Justina really comes alive in this Latin numbers and she had a lot of content; I saw some bounce and a nice Samba roll. She could’ve hit a couple lines sharper, but all in all, maybe my favorite dance of the night. My score: 28/30

4. Nelly/Daniella (Rumba) 21/30: I get the story behind it, but it was a weak dance. Almost no hip action and just too much of Daniella dancing around him. But now we know he has a big fanbase and he’s gonna Spicer/Bill Engvall/etc his way to the semis isn’t he? My score: 21/30

5. Chrishell/Gleb (Viennese Waltz) 24/30: Look, I’m surprised she made it this far. Mostly cause Gleb’s choreo is the weakest of any current pro, and she had the makings of the “she’s too pretty to vote for” angle. Good for her for getting to 8th place when she got 4’s in the first week. This dance was very lite on content, but bravo for making it this far. My score: 23/30

6. Skai/Alan (Salsa) 25/30: She finally conquered a Latin dance. My only complaints were the horrible cover of Work It and Alan just put in too many lifts. I get that she’s small and able, but I’d rather them nail 3 strong lifts than throw in 6 lifts with iffy landings. She hit the bottom this week and I think maybe the lack of worry from her fans and a score high enough to cushion that did it. My score: 25/30

7. Johnny/Britt (Foxtrot) 27/30: He’s obviously the most comfortable in these lyrical styles. I will say that sometimes he gets a bit hectic in throwing his arms and sometimes his posture gets too loose at times, so the triple 9’s confused me a bit. My score: 26/30

8. AJ/Cheryl (Rumba) 24/30: The judges basically echoed everything I said the moment the dance finished; “Great performance/acting, but not a Rumba”. My score: 23/30

• Like 1

review time!

Solo Dances

Kaitlyn & Artem: for once i agree with the judges? it was a little low on energy and i think the kicks/flicks weren't sharp enough for a 10-worthy jive. she has the technique down but she needs to work on her performance quality if she wants to get 10s. 25.

Nev & Jenna: he made two mistakes and his transitions in between movements were slightly jagged. his lines, when he hit them, were really good and i did enjoy the way he performed. but, i do think his rise and fall was a little rough too and overall i think the rest of the show is just paved for him to win, unfortunately. 23.

Justina & Sasha: i didn't even catch the mistake the judges were talking about even after a rewatch? this feels like normani's vw all over again and i don't like it! i think her legs needed to be just a tad sharper for a samba but this was still her best performance and the best of the night! 29.

Nelly & Daniella: the judges didn't even offer critiques because they were scared LOL i hate this show. aside from the fact that he should've gone home weeks ago, he still hasn't improved much since the beginning. this was actually slightly better in my opinion than last week, but he's far from near the par of everyone else (those hips were NOT moving!). 20.

Chrishell & Gleb: the choreography was even worse than last week but at least it made me feel something? the blatant lift was kind of strange too, especially since CA ignored it and chrishell is a woman? idk! not upset that she went home this week but #shouldvebeennelly. 21.

Skai & Alan: i'm BITTER that this got 8s! the last quarter of the dance was a little lift-heavy, i agree, but there were plenty of steps that skai executed really well? their selective critiques get stranger and stranger every week with her. she just needs to work on her dismounts. 27.

Johnny & Britt: it was a little rough for a foxtrot so i concur with the judges in that aspect, but i still think he did really well and is re-cementing his status as a contender! i would love to see him win this season even though it won't happen. anyway, his rise and fall was jagged but i think his footwork was far better than it used to be and he's getting better at rolling through the movements. 27.

AJ & Cheryl: definitely way too little rumba content in this dance which i was shocked to see from cheryl? he executed some of his moves well, i guess, but it just felt a bit sloppy and i thought he would do much, much better with this dance than he did. 23.

Relay Dances - scoring these out of 10 as they should've been!

Cha-cha-cha relay:

Nev was definitely the standout here but i think his musicality was a little strange at the beginning and his lines needed work. technicality was definitely better than his first cha-cha, though! 8.

Chrishell was just as stiff as she was the first time, especially in her back, but i think her leg movements were great considering that she actually got some choreo this time around. 7.

Nelly forgot half his steps and did extra ones to compensate. i know i rag on him too much, but it is a little difficult to be nice to people who don't dance well! anywho, this was also a little better than his first cha-cha, but still far too stiff. 6.

Viennese waltz relay:

Justina did really well! her energy was definitely a little low like derek said, but i think she made the dance look beautiful, did all the footwork perfectly, and hit some amazing lines. 9.

Johnny did great too, but i don't think it was up to par with his first vw. it felt a little rushed and some moves looked sloppy to me (though this could've been the choreo?). something about it just felt off to me, which makes me sad because i love them! 8.

Samba relay:

AJ did great with this dance! i think it was just on par with his first samba, which was a little disappointing because i think he's one of the few that could topple nev for the title and i want him to have a breakout, but i still enjoyed this thoroughly! 9.

Kaitlyn pleasantly surprised me! i do give her a little bit of slack because i know she has probably the most potential out of this batch of people, but this was exactly what i wanted from her first samba. plenty of attack, plenty of technique, and i hope she's on the upswing now. 10.

Skai did far, far better than her first samba and that's all i could've asked for! she definitely wasn't as good as the other two, but i do still think this warranted a 3/3 from the relay scoring. she needs to work on her bounce in the latin dances and needs to relax her legs when she transitions between steps. 8.

Overall scores from me! (out of 40)

1. Justina & Sasha - 38

2. Johnny & Britt - 35

2. Kaitlyn & Artem - 35

2. Skai & Alan - 35

5. AJ & Cheryl - 32

6. Nev & Jenna - 31

7. Chrishell & Gleb - 28

8. Nelly & Daniella - 26

Edited by ungodlyhour
  • Like 1