Pandora's Box: A Random Idol Rankings Thread

Crisis

Now it's time to post the rankings based off the submissions of other posters. I'll start with the bottom six and decide where to go from there. In addition, I'll post any commentary I received as well as my own thoughts on the songs. Let the fun begin...

18. Lee DeWyze - Beautiful Day

IDF Average: 17.67

As cheesy as the coronation songs have been, at least they were original for the most part. However, for some reason, Crystal and Lee received covers rather than original tunes, which I didn't personally care for. Unfortunately, it also means I can't help but compare them to the original versions, and in Lee's case I don't think he measured up to U2's. His voice seemed to lack any dynamics until the end and I don't think he really sold the meaning of the song. At the end of the day, I would have it pretty low in my personal rankings as well.

I was seriously considering placing this one over my #16, but I’ll give you guys a break from my weird opinions for now… :giggle:I believe this is the first cover that I have done a write-up for, and I’m just realizing that it is the third winner coronation song with the word “beautiful” in the title. 😅 Anyway, I thought Lee’s cover was pretty good. I really liked the added growls in his voice that he added to the song. However, everything else just struck me as average, and I doubt I would listen to this one again, in my free time. I didn’t think a coronation song could get worse than this, but trust me, there is one that’s much worse... 😔

17. Scotty McCreery - I Love You This Big

IDF Average: 15.00

This was a song about being in love at such a young age. Seeing that Scotty was a teenager when he won S10, it makes perfect sense for him. If there was a criticism, I felt that Scotty could've done better selling the song, as it was pretty much sung the same way until the end when he displayed more dynamics. Also, the lyrics were pretty cheesy, but that's pretty much a given regarding these songs. As far as coronations songs go, I personally would have it somewhere in the middle of the pack, maybe towards the bottom half.

16. Caleb Johnson - As Long As You Love Me

IDF Average: 14.67

One thing I liked about the song was that it was written in the style that suited Caleb perfectly instead of trying to fit him in the ballad box a majority of the earlier coronation songs did. This song was purely hard driven rock, though it still has the lyrics that epitomizes an Idol coronation song. Another thing I liked about the song is that Caleb appeared to sing the song well and displayed more dynamics than the two below him. However, I can't help but feel they were out of place; one minute he would sing soft and the next he would belt it out. I felt the song could've been paced better. With everything said, it's understandable why this song's ranked where it is.

15. Candice Glover - I Am Beautiful

IDF Average: 13.33

From a pure vocal standpoint, I think Candice is one of the best singers Idol has ever had. Unfortunately, her coronation song did a poor job of showcasing it. For starters, it appeared her vocals was clearly edited and didn't display her voice in its original form. In addition, I was not a fan of the topic of the song, for it appeared to be a song about someone needing validation from someone else in order to feel worthy. I think the song would've worked better as someone who finds her worth from within. If I were to rank this song, it would unfortunately be in the bottom half, which would be based solely on the subject matter and production rather than the singer.

As someone who absolutely adored Candice during her time on Idol, I was unfortunately very disappointed by her coronation song. 🙁  During the show, she proved that she was part of a vocal masterclass, but in this song I honestly didn’t see any of that. I felt that she tried to go too Pop with this song, when she should have stuck to her R&B roots. 😕 Not to mention, for an emotional song like this one, I really didn’t feel anything. I will say that it definitely fit the girl power theme that the producers tried to create in Season 12. 😅Overall though, I thought that this was by far the weakest coronation song from a female Idol winner. 😔

14. Laine Hardy - Flame

IDF Average: 12.67

Unfortunately for me, this song provided very little burning passion despite the title. I guess the main problem I have with it is that I felt it didn't really go anywhere. It appeared as if it just was on the same plateau with very little, if any, changes throughout it. Also, I thought the song ended pretty abruptly; I was expecting something more after the outro, yet the song just ceased, leaving more to be desired. If there was one positive I have about the song, it's that the chorus was pretty catchy despite it's repetitive nature. Overall, this would be another song I would have in my bottom half of coronation songs.

Here it is, my least favorite Idol winner coronation song. Before I get into all the negatives, I will say that this song brings me the happy memory of all the Season 17 finalists celebrating with Laine after he won. 😊This song is a catchy one, but catchy doesn’t mean good, especially in this case. I thought the style of the song didn’t fit Laine at all, plus the song never elevated for me. I felt that the intensity level never wavered, and that it just stayed the same for the whole song… 🙁 I also thought Laine did a terrible job at masking the corny lyrics. It was like Laine looked at my #1 and did everything that #1 did right, wrong… 😅

13. Taylor Hicks - Do I Make You Proud

IDF Average: 11.67

Closing out the set is the coronation tune from the S5 winner. As far as coronation songs go, it isn't as bad as far as the cheese factor is concerned. However, I can't help but feel this song would be better if anyone other than Taylor was singing it. It's not that he sung it poorly; it's more that I don't feel it suits him. With that said, I did like the verses but didn't care for the chorus; in fact, the mixing on the choruses were off because I hear the background singers more than Taylor himself. Finally, I'd kick myself if I didn't mention the Weird Al parody Do I Creep You Out; it's definitely one of my favorites of his. 😆 I would probably place this one somewhere in the middle of the pack at the end of the day.

018. Lee DeWyze - Beautiful Day

017. Scotty McCreery - I Love You This Big

016. Caleb Johnson - As Long As You Love Me

015. Candice Glover - I Am Beautiful

014. Laine Hardy - Flame

013. Taylor Hicks - Do I Make You Proud

So here are the first six as ranked by posters. I didn't place the rankings of the posters who submitted them as well as the name of posters who submitted write-ups just to be on the safe side because I wasn't sure if they wanted their names or rankings to be posted. If this isn't a problem, I'll add them.

Edited by Crisis

2 hours ago, Crisis said:

I didn't place the rankings of the posters who submitted them as well as the name of posters who submitted write-ups just to be on the safe side because I wasn't sure if they wanted their names or rankings to be posted. If this isn't a problem, I'll add them.

This isn’t an issue for me, so you can reveal my ranking and name for my write-ups. 🙂

18. Lee DeWyze - Beautiful Day

View my write-up. 

17. Scotty McCreery - I Love You This Big

I would have placed this one a bit higher. 🙂 I think the song is quite cute and I think it fits Scotty’s “country heartthrob” demeanor that he had going on during the show quite well. 😅 The title sounds a little corny though, not gonna lie. :stealth: 

16. Caleb Johnson - As Long As You Love Me

I also placed this coronation song higher. I thought it showed off Caleb’s vocals quite well. I’m sure it’s not the As Long As You Love Me that people know best though. :haha: 

15. Candice Glover - I Am Beautiful

View write-up. 

14. Laine Hardy - Flame

View write-up. 

13. Taylor Hicks - Do I Make You Proud

I think that this is an underrated one. I absolutely loved Taylor’s voice on this song! 😅 Everything just seemed to fall into place perfectly. I put this one a bit higher. 🙂

My Ranking

10. Taylor Hicks - Do I Make You Proud

13. Scotty McCreery - I Love You This Big

14. Caleb Johnson - As Long As You Love Me

15. Candice Glover - I Am Beautiful

17. Lee DeWyze - Beautiful Day

18. Laine Hardy - Flame

Edited by Bk1234

5 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

This isn’t an issue for me, so you can reveal my ranking and name for my write-ups. 🙂

View my write-up. 

I would have placed this one a bit higher. 🙂 I think the song is quite cute and I think it fits Scotty’s “country heartthrob” demeanor that he had going on during the show quite well. 😅 The title sounds a little corny though, not gonna lie. :stealth: 

I also placed this coronation song higher. I thought it showed off Caleb’s vocals quite well. I’m sure it’s not the As Long As You Love Me that people know best though. :haha: 

View write-up. 

View write-up. 

I think that this is an underrated one. I absolutely loved Taylor’s voice on this song! 😅 Everything just seemed to fall into place perfectly. I put this one a bit higher. 🙂

My Ranking

10. Taylor Hicks - Do I Make You Proud

13. Scotty McCreery - I Love You This Big

14. Caleb Johnson - As Long As You Love Me

15. Candice Glover - I Am Beautiful

18. Laine Hardy - Flame

OK, I'll keep that in mind for the future. 🙂

Fair enough about Beautiful Day

Thinking about it, the song did suit Scotty well. I agree about the title though. It reminds me a bit of Meatloaf's I Would Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That); what exactly won't Meatloaf do for love? In the same vein, how big does Scotty love this special person? :haha:

I'm sure there are two versions of ALAYLM that are more well-known than Caleb's. :haha: With that said, I do agree it showed off Caleb's vocals well.

I can't say I disagree with the thoughts on Candice's song; it was pretty disappointing.

Fair enough about the song not fitting Laine. Laine is more country-rock, and this song appears to be more in the pop-rock vein. I pretty much agree about the intensity never wavering; more variety would've helped the song out.

I don't know about everything falling into place perfectly, but I do agree about placing it higher than where it is now, though not by much. I'd probably have it around the same spot as yours.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2020 at 8:17 PM, Crisis said:

I can see how much easier it is to do so with the international versions. :haha: Rabbit was pretty fun, especially with the commitment to his character. I also liked Bee. One favorite from season two I forgot to mention was Thingamajig, especially with the pretend flirting between him and Nicole. :haha: Also, it was cool to see the artistic talent of Rottweiler; I certainly was not expecting that from him. As for Fox, I thought his last performance all but wrapped up the victory for him, especially with the rap in the middle. Thank you, and hopefully I'll enjoy it as well! 😄

Credit for this topic goes to @Bk1234. It is a good one indeed! 😄 I'm going to listen, or in some cases re-listen, to the songs myself so I know where I stand with them.

For sure. :haha:  I also really liked Thingamajig and was impressed with him not being a professional singer. 😮 I really liked his voice. Him and Nicole were cute. :giggle: Ah yes, I loved the different kind of songs Rottweiler took on. His performance of "Alive" on the finale gave me chills and I thought could get him the win. 😢 Not to mention "Someone You Loved" from the previous week. Oh well. :broken:  I'm curious to know if you did end up starting season 3 yet! 

Well done @Bk1234 ! I like this idea. ^_^ 

018. Lee DeWyze - Beautiful Day:  Yeah, I was disappointed in the song choice. I don't dislike the song in general, but it is weird to compare to the rest of the coronation songs and it's not one of my favorites from Lee either.

017. Scotty McCreery - I Love You This Big: I mostly agree with your thoughts. 

016. Caleb Johnson - As Long As You Love Me: I agree with you on this too, aside from the issue with the dynamics. I never picked up on that, but I do like how this song seemed to suit him. I tend to forget about it, but enjoy it when I listen again.

015. Candice Glover - I Am Beautiful:  Aw, I think I like this a bit more and thought it was actually kind of powerful. I liked how Candice sang this too, but I get the criticism. 

014. Laine Hardy - Flame: I really like this song too and how Laine's voice fit on it. I also thought it was catchy and really enjoyed listening to it several times.

013. Taylor Hicks - Do I Make You Proud: I like this song and liked Taylor singing it, but I remember thinking back then how much I wanted to hear Elliott sing it.

1 hour ago, miss denise said:

For sure. :haha:  I also really liked Thingamajig and was impressed with him not being a professional singer. 😮 I really liked his voice. Him and Nicole were cute. :giggle: Ah yes, I loved the different kind of songs Rottweiler took on. His performance of "Alive" on the finale gave me chills and I thought could get him the win. 😢 Not to mention "Someone You Loved" from the previous week. Oh well. :broken:  I'm curious to know if you did end up starting season 3 yet! 

018. Lee DeWyze - Beautiful Day:  Yeah, I was disappointed in the song choice. I don't dislike the song in general, but it is weird to compare to the rest of the coronation songs and it's not one of my favorites from Lee either.

017. Scotty McCreery - I Love You This Big: I mostly agree with your thoughts. 

016. Caleb Johnson - As Long As You Love Me: I agree with you on this too, aside from the issue with the dynamics. I never picked up on that, but I do like how this song seemed to suit him. I tend to forget about it, but enjoy it when I listen again.

015. Candice Glover - I Am Beautiful:  Aw, I think I like this a bit more and thought it was actually kind of powerful. I liked how Candice sang this too, but I get the criticism. 

014. Laine Hardy - Flame: I really like this song too and how Laine's voice fit on it. I also thought it was catchy and really enjoyed listening to it several times.

013. Taylor Hicks - Do I Make You Proud: I like this song and liked Taylor singing it, but I remember thinking back then how much I wanted to hear Elliott sing it.

Yes, Thingamajig was certainly impressive despite not being a professional singer. :yes: Him and Nicole were cute indeed. The Rottweiler did well on the different songs. Though I was spoiled on who he was, I would've guessed who he was based on his social media clue. :haha: I did start Season 3; in fact, I only have four more episodes to go in that season. Right now, I'm liking Kitty, Dark Angel (or was it Death Angel; I'm not going to look and confirm in fear of being spoiled :haha:), and Frog. I was disappointed Mouse was cut as early as she was and it would've been cool to see Miss Monster win if only because Monster won the first season.

018. I pretty much agree with the sentiments here. It is weird to compare this to the other ones.

017. Nothing much to add here.

016. Fair enough about this song.

015. Understandable.

014. Despite not really being a fan of the song, it can be catchy.

013. I would've liked to hear Elliott sing it as well. If only the Kat/Elliott finale would've came to fruition. If that were the case, this may or may not be surprising, I would've rooted for Elliott to win and perhaps even voted more for him because I felt he would've benefited the most from the title. With that said, it's understandable how it's thought that Taylor sang the song well.

I have a grueling week ahead of me as far as schoolwork is concerned, so I'm not sure when the next set will be posted. I'll try to have it up tomorrow; I have to see where I'm at first.

Lmao I didn't submit a ranking so I can't really bitch, but it's obvious that people didn't take the "rank them as songs" instruction seriously and just ranked them by their favorite contestants. No other explanation for No Boundaries and Inside Your Heaven escaping the bottom rung.

18. Beautiful Day - It's a great song but Lee butchered it, so I get the last place ranking here. Complete injustice that he won after Crystal delivered "Up to the Mountain." Until Candice's "Love Song", that was my all-time favorite Idol performance and it still is #2 probably.

17. I Love You This Big - Not my cup of tea at all, but it suited Scotty and I didn't barf while hearing his interpretation of it. I'd put it a few spots higher.

16. As Long As You Love Me - I like Caleb, but I don't like this song. Fair placement.

15. I Am Beautiful - Definitely should be higher, it's a dull song but everything Candice (and Kree as well) did in that finale was magical.

14. Flame - Don't even remember this and won't be re-listening to the convenient video link.

13. Do I Make You Proud - I'd put it higher, I know revisionist history states that Taylor winning the show was a travesty but this was actually one of the more decent coronation songs and he sang the hell out of it.

I ran out of time, to submit my rankings, but .... here's my 2 cents

018. Lee DeWyze - Beautiful Day -  At least he didn't sing out of tune, like a lot of performances

017. Scotty McCreery - I Love You This Big - Even though the lyrics are a little cheesy, I would place just a tad higher. I'm saying this with Scotty being no where near a fav, that season 

016. Caleb Johnson - As Long As You Love Me - Caleb was my 2nd fav (after Jessica Meuse) that season. I would have placed this a little higher. Love the edge in his voice

015. Candice Glover - I Am Beautiful - For Candice's voice alone, I would place her higher. Granted, there could have been a better song for her

014. Laine Hardy - Flame - The song fits Laine well, but to have Laine over Candice? :unsure:

013. Taylor Hicks - Do I Make You Proud - Good placement

15 hours ago, The Ghost of Weedy Speedy said:

Lmao I didn't submit a ranking so I can't really bitch, but it's obvious that people didn't take the "rank them as songs" instruction seriously and just ranked them by their favorite contestants. No other explanation for No Boundaries and Inside Your Heaven escaping the bottom rung.

18. Beautiful Day - It's a great song but Lee butchered it, so I get the last place ranking here. Complete injustice that he won after Crystal delivered "Up to the Mountain." Until Candice's "Love Song", that was my all-time favorite Idol performance and it still is #2 probably.

17. I Love You This Big - Not my cup of tea at all, but it suited Scotty and I didn't barf while hearing his interpretation of it. I'd put it a few spots higher.

16. As Long As You Love Me - I like Caleb, but I don't like this song. Fair placement.

15. I Am Beautiful - Definitely should be higher, it's a dull song but everything Candice (and Kree as well) did in that finale was magical.

14. Flame - Don't even remember this and won't be re-listening to the convenient video link.

13. Do I Make You Proud - I'd put it higher, I know revisionist history states that Taylor winning the show was a travesty but this was actually one of the more decent coronation songs and he sang the hell out of it.

I don't have the spreadsheet with me at the moment, but I'll just say after calculating everything there were some results that me raise my eyebrows a bit.

18. I was disappointed Crystal fell short as well, especially after Up To The Mountain. As for the song, I get the last place ranking as well.

17. Fair enough, as I'd have it a few places higher as well.

16. I can't say I have any issues with this placement either.

15. Fair enough

14. Fair enough, LOL.

13. I'd probably have this a little higher as well.

4 hours ago, psterina said:

018. Lee DeWyze - Beautiful Day -  At least he didn't sing out of tune, like a lot of performances

017. Scotty McCreery - I Love You This Big - Even though the lyrics are a little cheesy, I would place just a tad higher. I'm saying this with Scotty being no where near a fav, that season 

016. Caleb Johnson - As Long As You Love Me - Caleb was my 2nd fav (after Jessica Meuse) that season. I would have placed this a little higher. Love the edge in his voice

015. Candice Glover - I Am Beautiful - For Candice's voice alone, I would place her higher. Granted, there could have been a better song for her

014. Laine Hardy - Flame - The song fits Laine well, but to have Laine over Candice? :unsure:

013. Taylor Hicks - Do I Make You Proud - Good placement

018. Haha, fair enough.

017. It's probably the same for me.

016. Fair enough. Jessica and Caleb were my Top 2 that season as well.

015. Fair enough. I wish there was a better song for her.

014. It's what the results are. Though I'm not a fan of Candice's song, I still would've had it above Laine's.

013. Fair enough.

12. Maddie Poppe - Going Going Gone

IDF Average: 11.33

Admittedly, I was not much of a fan of this song at first, though I preferred it over Gabby's and Caleb's, mainly because it sounded like something Phillip would've done; even the title was similar to one of his singles! However, this one has grown on me over time. It has a nice rhythm to it and the chorus is pretty catchy. In addition, Maddie sounded really nice on it, especially on said chorus. Finally, I liked that the subject matter wasn't all about rainbows and the other sappy topics that are usually prevalent in these types of songs. I would probably have this one a little higher at the end of the day.

11. Just Sam - Rise Up

IDF Average: 11.00

As I mentioned in Lee's Beautiful Day write-up, I would like the coronation songs to be original. However, in this case there was practically no choice due to the circumstances. I do think this was a good song for Sam because it encapsulated her journey perfectly. Furthermore, I really liked the way she sounded on the song; perhaps Sam's biggest strength as a singer was her emotional connection to whatever she sang, and this was no exception. This is another coronation song I would most likely have higher; with everything said, however, Rise Up is now joining my list of songs I can go multiple lifetimes without ever hearing it again.

10. Phillip Phillips - Home

IDF Average: 8.67

If anyone received good fortune when it came to coronation songs, it was certainly Phillip. It was thought he was going to get a sappy song with a bunch of high notes he would struggle to hit (think of Blake and This Is My Now). However, he managed to get a song that completely fit his style. Plus, it didn't hurt it was used in 2012 Summer Olympics and thus gaining more exposure. Home is certainly a catchy tune that some can't help but sing along to (at least it was like that for me at first). With that said, Phillip is never going to win gold when it comes to vocal gymnastics; however, he sounded really nice here. Overall, Home is definitely one of the better coronation songs Idol's produced.

Bk1234

#16: Phillip Phillips - Home

6d4a852860d87e71e53bc191f00f7e65.1000x1000x1.jpg

I know I’m gonna get quite a bit of backlash for this one, but Phillip Phillips’ Home is my #16. 😅 I just could never really get into this one. Don’t get me wrong, I loved Phillip on the show, but this song just seems to only scratch the surface of his talent. 😕 The song’s main appeal is how catchy it is. It’s very difficult to not try and sing along! 😂 Plus, I feel that the song is relatable for a lot of people, so I can see why it’s so popular. 😊However, the vocals from Phillip are very dry and as a result, I get tired of this song very quickly. Not to mention, the song itself doesn’t really go anywhere for me. To sum up my points, I really like how relatable the song is, but unfortunately the vocals just aren’t enough to keep me interested. 😕

9. Jordin Sparks - This Is My Now

IDF Average: 8.00

Speaking of This Is My Now:haha: Needless to say, this is a power ballad which definitely suited Jordin better. It certainly has its fair share of cheesy lyrics; however, I think this is a song that was perfect for Jordin at the time, as the subject matter seemed to relate to her more than Blake. Also, Jordin's voice sounded really strong here and it sounded like she meant every word she sang. I don't know where I would rank this song in my overall rankings, but all things considered, I don't think this one was as bad as some of the others and therefore, I won't raise any eyebrows at this placement.

8. Kris Allen - No Boundaries

IDF Average: 7.67

Here is one of the more maligned coronation songs. In some circles, it's considered to be the worst of the lot. It's another reason Kara was looked at unfavorably during her time on Idol because she was the one who wrote it. Kara is a very accomplished songwriter; however, this was not one of her crowning moments. With that said, while it's one of my least favorite coronation songs, I think Kris did a great job singing and selling it. He sounded so earnest here, and I believed him when it came to having no boundaries at anything. Overall, I would've had this one lower, but I can understand how it got this high.

Bk1234

#2: Kris Allen - No Boundaries

71-Utw5ooJL._SS500_.jpg

Now this might come as a surprise to many, but Kris Allen’s No Boundaries is my second favorite winner coronation song. 😅 Now before you guys come at me for ranking this one so high, I based this ranking on STUDIO VERSIONS, which for this one makes a huge difference considering Kris didn’t sing this too great on the show (though I probably would have still ranked it high regardless 😂). 

This song is just so great. First of all, it was written by best judge and QUEEN 👑 Kara DioGuardi! ❤️ That is enough to rank it high, but then you add Kris’ wonderful voice to the song and you create something magical. 😍This song got and still gets a ton of hate for the “corny” lyrics (similar things are mentioned in the lyrics of I Believe, and no one criticizes that one.) Well for all you haters out there, I ask you to read out the lyrics of your favorite song and tell me if it sounds corny. 😏 I personally believe that all song lyrics are corny, and that it is the job of the vocalist to hide that. 

I thought about placing this song at #1, but decided against it because Moment Like This just deserves that spot, plus it has that nostalgia factor that I don’t really get from No Boundaries. 😊

MV5BMTU5MzgzNTg5Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDA0MzAxNA@@._V1_.jpg

7. Nick Fradiani - Beautiful Life

IDF Average: 7.67

As seen, both No Boundaries and Beautiful Life were tied as far as the IDF averages went. However, based on the votes, Beautiful Life is placed one place higher. To be honest, if it came down to it, I would've favored Beautiful Life over No Boundaries as well. This is a pretty catchy song, and I feel it's one of the better coronation tunes. I thought Nick did a nice job vocally here, from the steady verses (though I still chuckle at some of the lyrics in the first verse) to the explosive chorus. I think it's overlooked because of the controversy of Nick winning his season. I would have this one in my upper half and somewhere around this spot as well.

Bk1234

#4: Nick Fradiani - Beautiful Life

8189hbpkmwL._SL1500_.jpg

While I consider Nick to be one of the weakest Idol winners, I think he had one of the best coronation songs. 😅 If I were to rank these songs solely based on nostalgia, this one would probably be #2, which may come as a surprise to most. Well you see, Season 14 was the first season of Idol that I watched live, so the winner’s coronation song holds a special place in my heart. 😊 This and my #5 are very close together, so the nostalgia factor of this song is what allowed it to come out on top. 😁Anyway, the song is certainly a catchy one. My favorite parts are when Nick goes into his head voice because I feel like these are the parts where he feels the most connected to the song. 😍Overall, I think this is definitely an underrated gem when it comes to Idol winner coronation songs. 🙂

012. Maddie Poppe - Going Going Gone

011. Just Sam - Rise Up

010. Phillip Phillips - Home

009. Jordin Sparks - This Is My Now

008. Kris Allen - No Boundaries

007. Nick Fradiani - Beautiful Life

Just wanted to post the next set so there's some activity. It'll probably be a couple of days before I post the remaining songs.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Phillip Phillips HOME is the Best Selling Song from Idol of all time.

Google American Idol Coronation songs - and it easily Ranks #1.

That's why these rankings are so BOGUS.  It is based on who is popular on IDF.  There are lots of Jessica Sanchez fans here who are still fuming that she flopped.

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, mytake1 said:

Phillip Phillips HOME is the Best Selling Song from Idol of all time.

Google American Idol Coronation songs - and it easily Ranks #1.

That's why these rankings are so BOGUS.  It is based on who is popular on IDF.  There are lots of Jessica Sanchez fans here who are still fuming that she flopped.

I’m a Jessica Sanchez fan and thought she would win but I still ranked PP’s song #1 as I think it’s the most marketable and best written coronation song. The only others I’d consider for #1 are A Moment Like This and I Believe. This ranking has me shocked. 

Going Going Gone - Would be much higher on my list. This is one of my favorites.

Rise Up - I don't think this counts as a "coronation song", it was just the last thing she did on the show. I mean it was a good performance so if we're counting it, this ranking seems about right.

Home - I've always thought this was overrated. It was better than Jessica's song, but songs that just have oos and aahhs as their hook always get on my nerves. It's like they couldn't think of anything original to write instead.

This Is My Now - It was corny, but Jordin was corny so it fit her. A little too high, perhaps, but I'm not raising my eyebrow as high compared to others.

No Boundaries - Did you know that Kris purposely forgot the lyrics to this song? LOL. It's terrible and definitely way too high on this list (and I'm saying this as a Kris fan, he was my favorite of his season).

Beautiful Life - This song has never impressed me, and I actually preferred Clark's coronation single, as it was more melodic. This one was "catchy" though so I guess that's why they gave it to Nick, because Scott wanted him to win, even though IDF itself crashed for like the entire summer in protest lmfao.

Edited by The Ghost of Weedy Speedy
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Blirel said:

Wow I’m surprised that Home is so low. It’s the best selling coronation song I believe as it topped even A Moment Like This. I think it’s a solid song as well. Hmm. 

While I won't say I was surprised at its ranking, I expected this one to be higher.

3 hours ago, The Ghost of Weedy Speedy said:

Going Going Gone - Would be much higher on my list. This is one of my favorites.

Rise Up - I don't think this counts as a "coronation song", it was just the last thing she did on the show. I mean it was a good performance so if we're counting it, this ranking seems about right.

Home - I've always thought this was overrated. It was better than Jessica's song, but songs that just have oos and aahhs as their hook always get on my nerves. It's like they couldn't think of anything original to write instead.

This Is My Now - It was corny, but Jordin was corny so it fit her. A little too high, perhaps, but I'm not raising my eyebrow as high compared to others.

No Boundaries - Did you know that Kris purposely forgot the lyrics to this song? LOL. It's terrible and definitely way too high on this list (and I'm saying this as a Kris fan, he was my favorite of his season).

Beautiful Life - This song has never impressed me, and I actually preferred Clark's coronation single, as it was more melodic. This one was "catchy" though so I guess that's why they gave it to Nick, because Scott wanted him to win, even though IDF itself crashed for like the entire summer in protest lmfao.

I would have Going Going Gone higher as well.

I guess due to the pandemic there wasn't time to write or look for a proper song for her. Fair enough about the ranking.

Fair enough about finding Home overrated. I agree about it being better than Jessica's.

I pretty much agree about This Is My Now being corny but fitting Jordin.

Outside of watching a few performances for my other thread, I haven't watched much of S8 lately and therefore don't remember Kris deliberately forgetting the lyrics. :haha: I'm not too fond of the song itself and wouldn't have it this high either.

Fair enough about Beautiful Life. I remember when IDF crashed after his win during my lurking days. :haha:

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, Crisis said:

Despite liking Gabby’s Rivers Deep way better, I will admit that this is a pretty solid coronation song. 😅 I totally agree that the themes presented in this one aren’t as corny as they are in others. Overall, it’s a solid vocal that I feel showcases Maddie’s personality quite well! 👍 This is the exact spot where I put this song, so I have no issues with the placement. 🙂

11. Just Sam - Rise Up

I wasn’t really impressed by the “live” version of this song, but oh boy, the studio version is an emotional masterpiece! :clap: Just Sam’s tone just makes the song such an emotional journey. I got goosebumps after listening to the studio version for the first time! 😅 Overall, her version moved me and as a result, I placed it a bit higher than #11. 

10. Phillip Phillips - Home

Ugh, this song is SO overrated! :stealth: Before I get attacked, it’s not because I’m mad that Jessica lost! I liked both of them, so I was happy when Phillip won. 😅 View my write-up more details. 

9. Jordin Sparks - This Is My Now

I agree that this song was the perfect fit for Jordin (I wish I could say the same for Blake :giggle: ). I felt that Jordin had an emotional connection with this song that really enhances the experience. I placed this song one spot higher, so I’m not too disappointed about this placement. 😁👍

8. Kris Allen - No Boundaries

I don’t understand the hate that this song gets at all. It is my second favorite Idol winner coronation song, so of course I voted for this one over Beautiful Life😊 View my write-up for more details. 🙂

7. Nick Fradiani - Beautiful Life

Nostalgia. 😊 It didn’t get my vote, but it’s pretty close to No Boundaries in my ranking. View my write-up for more details. 🙂

My Ranking (UPDATED)

2. Kris Allen - No Boundaries

4. Nick Fradiani - Beautiful Life

6. Samantha “Just Sam” Diaz - Rise Up

8. Jordin Sparks- This Is My Now

10. Taylor Hicks - Do I Make You Proud

13. Scotty McCreery - I Love You This Big

14. Caleb Johnson - As Long As You Love Me

15. Candice Glover - I Am Beautiful

16. Phillip Phillips - Home

18. Laine Hardy - Flame

Edited by Bk1234
  • Confused 1

Just my 2 cents ...

012. Maddie Poppe - Going Going Gone  To me ... This song, is the catchiest, out of this batch of songs. And Maddie sounded GREAT!  I would have this higher

011. Just Sam - Rise Up  Would place this a little higher. Wonderful vocals

010. Phillip Phillips - Home  To me ... this song is not that catchy. Not a popular opinion, here. He's fortunate, that the Olympics brought him exposure & neither he, nor Jessica were my faves for that season. 

009. Jordin Sparks - This Is My Now ...  Wow! Stunning vocals. Would place this higher

008. Kris Allen - No Boundaries ... Catchier song & better vocals, than Nick Fradiani, but I would have this a little lower.

007. Nick Fradiani - Beautiful Life ... He stayed in tune, and vocals are good, but not great. The song is ok. I would have him lower than this.  #12

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

Despite liking Gabby’s Rivers Deep way better, I will admit that this is a pretty solid coronation song. 😅 I totally agree that the themes presented in this one aren’t as corny as they are in others. Overall, it’s a solid vocal that I feel showcases Maddie’s personality quite well! 👍 This is the exact spot where I put this song, so I have no issues with the placement. 🙂

I wasn’t really impressed by the “live” version of this song, but oh boy, the studio version is an emotional masterpiece! :clap: Just Sam’s tone just makes the song such an emotional journey. I got goosebumps after listening to the studio version for the first time! 😅 Overall, her version moved me and as a result, I placed it a bit higher than #11. 

Ugh, this song is SO overrated! :stealth: Before I get attacked, it’s not because I’m mad that Jessica lost! I liked both of them, so I was happy when Phillip won. 😅 View my write-up more details. 

I agree that this song was the perfect fit for Jordin (I wish I could say the same for Blake :giggle: ). I felt that Jordin had an emotional connection with this song that really enhances the experience. I placed this song one spot higher, so I’m not too disappointed about this placement. 😁👍

I don’t understand the hate that this song gets at all. It is my second favorite Idol winner coronation song, so of course I voted for this one over Beautiful Life😊 View my write-up for more details. 🙂

Nostalgia. 😊 It didn’t get my vote, but it’s pretty close to No Boundaries in my ranking. View my write-up for more details. 🙂

My Ranking (UPDATED)

2. Kris Allen - No Boundaries

4. Nick Fradiani - Beautiful Life

6. Samantha “Just Sam” Diaz - Rise Up

8. Jordin Sparks- This Is My Now

16. Phillip Phillips - Home

18. Laine Hardy - Flame

As far as Gabby's was concerned, the main issue I had with was that is was schizophrenic, meaning that it sounded country in some parts and R&B in others. It would've been better if it stuck to just one genre. With that said, fair enough about preferring hers to Maddie's. At least it appears you think this song fits Maddie well. 😄

The studio version of this song is really good; Sam really did her thing with this one. 👍

Don't ever feel afraid to express any opinion as long as its respectful, even if it's unpopular (I should know since I have a few of those myself :haha:). I'm sure there are sound reasons as to why people feel certain ways about certain things. As for the song, I may not agree with the opinion on it, but I understand and respect it.

Can't say I disagree with what was said about This Is My Now.

While No Boundaries is not one of my favorite coronation songs, I absolutely will not begrudge anyone for liking it; in fact, I'm happy to see someone like and appreciate it!

Seeing that S14 was the first season you watched live, I can understand how it could be nostalgic and why it holds a special place in your heart.

2 hours ago, psterina said:

Just my 2 cents ...

012. Maddie Poppe - Going Going Gone  To me ... This song, is the catchiest, out of this batch of songs. And Maddie sounded GREAT!  I would have this higher

011. Just Sam - Rise Up  Would place this a little higher. Wonderful vocals

010. Phillip Phillips - Home  To me ... this song is not that catchy. Not a popular opinion, here. He's fortunate, that the Olympics brought him exposure & neither he, nor Jessica were my faves for that season. 

009. Jordin Sparks - This Is My Now ...  Wow! Stunning vocals. Would place this higher

008. Kris Allen - No Boundaries ... Catchier song & better vocals, than Nick Fradiani, but I would have this a little lower.

007. Nick Fradiani - Beautiful Life ... He stayed in tune, and vocals are good, but not great. The song is ok. I would have him lower than this.  #12

012. I would have this one higher as well.

011. Pretty much in agreement here.

010. Completely understandable.

009. Understandable about placing this one higher. Jordin did sound really nice on it.

008. Fair enough.

007. Completely understandable here as well.

• Confused 1

Time to see how the last six are ranked.

6. Ruben Studdard - Flying Without Wings

IDF Average: 7.33

Flying Without Wings is a cover of a Westlife song. I found it odd the show gave Ruben a cover whereas Clay received an original tune (if not, disregard this). Ruben sang this song well; his voice really soared on it. However, I am personally not a fan of the song because as I said before, I would like the coronation songs to be original songs. Furthermore, I find the song boring and schmaltzy. I would have this one pretty low, somewhere near Beautiful Day. With that said, I would give this one the edge although BD is the better song, I prefer Ruben's voice to Lee's.

5. Trent Harmon - Falling

IDF Average: 7.00

This one is certainly different from the other songs as it's more of a sensual love song. Though I like La'Porsha's song better, this one is great as well. Trent's voice took me some time to get used to, and while there are still certain things about it I'm not too fond of, he sang the heck out of this song. I especially like how his voice soars in the chorus. In addition, it's clear to me Keith definitely put his stamp on this song. Overall, it's a song I would have pretty high and it was a nice introduction to the country route Trent would eventually go post-Idol.

4. Fantasia - I Believe

IDF Average: 5.33

I always thought there were two songs that were synonymous with their winners: A Moment Like This and I Believe. Regarding the latter, I always felt Fantasia's biggest strength was she poured everything into her songs and performances; this was no different. The lyrics are the typical cheese that is expected with especially the early coronation songs; however, Fantasia really sold the song. My favorite part is the bridge, which is where I really feel Fantasia's voice soars. This would be in my Top 5 as far as coronation songs go, and if the Idol performances were ranked, this would be my #1 with a bullet and because of it, everyone who has attempted this song always fell short in my eyes.

3. Carrie Underwood - Inside Your Heaven

IDF Average: 5.00

I have to say, I'm not the biggest fan of Inside Your Heaven; however, based on the results, I'm clearly in the minority. :haha: The one positive thing I can say about this song is that Carrie's voice sounds really nice here. Also, the lyrics and subject matter clearly relate to her more (it just doesn't feel right with Bo singing it). Now for the negatives: outside of the usual cheesy lyrics, I feel the song is stagnant and doesn't have much variety through it; I felt it could've benefited from a dramatic modulation or something. Overall, this one would be in the bottom half of my rankings.

Bk1234

#3: Carrie Underwood - Inside Your Heaven

81C9c0Dd29L._SS500_.jpg

At my #3 is what I believe to be the only religious Idol winner coronation song. 😊This song just has so much heart packed into it. I could truly feel every word that Carrie sang! The lyrics are beautiful, but the song really pulls at your heartstrings when Carrie starts singing. She has one of the prettiest voices in Idol history and this song showed it off perfectly! 😍 My favorite parts were when she really dug into the song and I got to hear the cry in her voice. 👍 Considering I have never listened to this song prior to this ranking, I think it is pretty impressive that this song climbed up all the way to number 3 on my list. 😁Overall, a beautiful song, done by a beautiful voice, equals something magical! 😄

2. David Cook - The Time Of My Life

IDF Average: 4.67

I have to be honest, I was not expecting this one to rank as high as it did, but here we are. It's not a bad song by any means; however, I felt there are better ones. Apparently this one was favored over Dream Big because that was supposed to be his original coronation tune, and I actually liked Dream Big more. Anyway, David had some good vocal moments on this song as he was able to showcase some nice dynamics in it. The one thing I chuckle at is him singing about a magic rainbow because it doesn't seem like something he would sing about. At the end of the day, I would probably have this one somewhere in the middle.

1. Kelly Clarkson - A Moment Like This

IDF Average: 1.67

Coming in at #1 is none other than the original coronation song. For starters, Kelly sounds really strong from both a vocally and emotionally standpoint. Based on the song, it was easy to see Kelly really connected to the song and as I mentioned in the I Believe write-up, this song is synonymous with Kelly, though Amber Holcomb did a very respectable job with it in S12. Also, I love the variety and dynamics in the song; if I have to pick my favorite part, it would be the final chorus with the key change because I felt it was a great way to bring the song home. Finally, there's just the nostalgic factor this song has because it was the first and put a great exclamation point on Kelly's victory. Overall, this one is in my Top 3 and it's very worthy of its #1 spot.

Bk1234

#1: Kelly Clarkson - A Moment Like This

81lxkfeIwsL._SS500_.jpg

The original coronation song and also my favorite winner coronation song. I must have listened to Kelly’s Thankful album at least 50 times (maybe that’s a bit of an exaggeration 😂), so I am quite familiar with this song. The lyrics and emotion of this song are so powerful, and everything from Kelly’s growls to her enunciation enhances the song. Before watching these songs over again, I actually forgot how much I loved this song when I was younger. As you can now see, the same still holds true now. Overall, I thought Kelly’s coronation song set the standard for what every coronation song should aim to be (unfortunately, as you’ve probably seen, some songs just didn’t live up to it. 🙁)

006. Ruben Studdard - Flying Without Wings

005. Trent Harmon - Falling

004. Fantasia - I Believe

003. Carrie Underwood - Inside Your Heaven

002. David Cook - The Time Of My Life

001. Kelly Clarkson - A Moment Like This

Recap:

018. Lee DeWyze - Beautiful Day

017. Scotty McCreery - I Love You This Big

016. Caleb Johnson - As Long As You Love Me

015. Candice Glover - I Am Beautiful

014. Laine Hardy - Flame

013. Taylor Hicks - Do I Make You Proud

012. Maddie Poppe - Going Going Gone

011. Just Sam - Rise Up

010. Phillip Phillips - Home

009. Jordin Sparks - This Is My Now

008. Kris Allen - No Boundaries

007. Nick Fradiani - Beautiful Life

006. Ruben Studdard - Flying Without Wings

005. Trent Harmon - Falling

004. Fantasia - I Believe

003. Carrie Underwood - Inside Your Heaven

002. David Cook - The Time Of My Life

001. Kelly Clarkson - A Moment Like This

Well, that's it for the coronation songs; at least it finished before the upcoming updates. I'm not sure what to do next although I have a couple of ideas in mind. In addition, I have an idea for another thread; however, that one would most likely fit in the Games subforum. I'm not sure when these will come to fruition as I have some homework to do, so the status is a wait and see.

Edited by Crisis
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Crisis said:

6. Ruben Studdard - Flying Without Wings

To be honest, I’m kind of surprised to see this one ranked so high. 😅 I love Ruben’s voice on it, but for me, it felt a little lacking compared to some of the other coronation songs. I put it in the middle of the pack. 😊

This coronation song was so close to being in my Top 4, but like I mentioned earlier, the nostalgia factor of Beautiful Life is what led me to also put this at #5. 😁 I absolutely love the jazzy vibes that this song gives off, it is very well done, and on some days, I might even have it higher than Beautiful Life. 😅 

4. Fantasia - I Believe

Definitely one of the more overrated Idol coronation songs. :stealth: I mean the lyrics are just as corny as No Boundaries, yet no one criticizes this one. 😕 Fantasia’s voice doesn’t get too annoying on this song, so I placed this one at #8. Not to mention, it was written by the great Tamyra Gray, which may or may not have influenced my ranking. 😅 Diana’s performance version always cracks me up, so it’s good for that also! :haha: 

3. Carrie Underwood - Inside Your Heaven

I also have Inside Your Heaven at #3. View my write-up for more details. 🙂

2. David Cook - The Time Of My Life

I’m a little surprised to see this one so high as well. However, I am certainly not disappointed. 👍 I’m actually surprised you liked Dream Big better, but hey, we all have our opinions. 🙂 I love David Cook’s voice on this song, but I placed it a little lower than #2. 

1. Kelly Clarkson - A Moment Like This

The Queen gets what she deserves! :clap: View my write-up for more details. 🙂 

My Ranking (UPDATED)

1. Kelly Clarkson - A Moment Like This

2. Kris Allen - No Boundaries

3. Carrie Underwood - Inside Your Heaven

4. Nick Fradiani - Beautiful Life

6. Samantha “Just Sam” Diaz - Rise Up

7. David Cook - Time Of My Life

8. Jordin Sparks- This Is My Now

9. Fantasia - I Believe

11. Ruben Studdard - Flying Without Wings 

12. Maddie Poppe - Going Going Gone

16. Phillip Phillips - Home

18. Laine Hardy - Flame

Well, that's it for the coronation songs; at least it finished before the upcoming updates. I'm not sure what to do next although I have a couple of ideas in mind. In addition, I have an idea for another thread; however, that one would most likely fit in the Games subforum. I'm not sure when these will come to fruition as I have some homework to do, so the status is a wait and see.

Looking forward to your future ideas, especially the one in the Games sub forum. 😃

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Flying Without Wings - I think Ruben's great and all, but I have never liked this song at all, no matter who's singing it.

Falling - I've never liked this song either. Trent sang it well enough I suppose, but the song itself is just forgettable dreck.

I Believe - Lmao well time to redo this ranking, because this is still the best coronation song all these years later. I could do without the endless covers in later years, but the emotion that Fantasia pours into this can't be beaten. Plus it was written by Tamyra Gray, who is also amazing, so yeah just a great song all around.

Inside Your Heaven - Should be WAY lower, I'm a Carrie fan too but this song is just dire. I wish they had let Angels Brought Me Here be her coronation song instead, she poured more emotion into it and the song is much better written imo.

The Time of My Life - I also much prefer Dream Big, as it was more David's style of music. This song is one of the better coronations I guess, but overall it's pleasant but forgettable.

A Moment Like This - This song has always just been too cheesy for me. "For that one special kiss" has always been the lyric that stood out to me, for the wrong reasons lmao. It was better than Before Your Love but overall just meh.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

To be honest, I’m kind of surprised to see this one ranked so high. 😅 I love Ruben’s voice on it, but for me, it felt a little lacking compared to some of the other coronation songs. I put it in the middle of the pack. 😊

This coronation song was so close to being in my Top 4, but like I mentioned earlier, the nostalgia factor of Beautiful Life is what led me to also put this at #5. 😁 I absolutely love the jazzy vibes that this song gives off, it is very well done, and on some days, I might even have it higher than Beautiful Life. 😅 

Definitely one of the more overrated Idol coronation songs. :stealth: I mean the lyrics are just as corny as No Boundaries, yet no one criticizes this one. 😕 Fantasia’s voice doesn’t get too annoying on this song, so I placed this one at #8. Not to mention, it was written by the great Tamyra Gray, which may or may not have influenced my ranking. 😅 Diana’s performance version always cracks me up, so it’s good for that also! :haha: 

I also have Inside Your Heaven at #3. View my write-up for more details. 🙂

I’m a little surprised to see this one so high as well. However, I am certainly not disappointed. 👍 I’m actually surprised you liked Dream Big better, but hey, we all have our opinions. 🙂 I love David Cook’s voice on this song, but I placed it a little lower than #2. 

The Queen gets what she deserves! :clap: View my write-up for more details. 🙂 

My Ranking (UPDATED)

1. Kelly Clarkson - A Moment Like This

2. Kris Allen - No Boundaries

3. Carrie Underwood - Inside Your Heaven

4. Nick Fradiani - Beautiful Life

6. Samantha “Just Sam” Diaz - Rise Up

7. David Cook - Time Of My Life

8. Jordin Sparks- This Is My Now

9. Fantasia - I Believe

11. Ruben Studdard - Flying Without Wings 

12. Maddie Poppe - Going Going Gone

16. Phillip Phillips - Home

18. Laine Hardy - Flame

Looking forward to your future ideas, especially the one in the Games sub forum. 😃

I pretty much agree with your thoughts about Flying Without Wings.

Falling does have some jazzy vibes coming from it. The arrangement is really nice.

This is just a theory, but the reason I think No Boundaries gets a lot of flack is because as I mentioned, Kara is a very accomplished songwriter and therefore was expected to write a better coronation song than what was actually produced. 🤷‍♂️ As for I Believe, I think this was one of Tamyra's first attempt at songwriting and that, combined with her being a well-liked contestant, may have giving her some leeway. Fair enough about thinking this song is overrated.

Carrie really does have a pretty voice, and the song does a good job of showcasing it. It's just that I wished the song itself was better.

I just think the harder vibe of Dream Big suited David better than The Time Of My Life. With that said, I do agree his voice sounded nice on this song.

There will be very few arguments from me over A Moment Like This being #1.

4 hours ago, psterina said:

My 2 cents, for the final 6 rankings. I think, that the only thing that I would change would be, switching David Cook & Fantasia. She sounded amazing! Also ... I really liked Falling a lot!!

I can't say I really disagree with this. I would definitely have I Believe ahead of The Time Of My Life.

2 hours ago, The Ghost of Weedy Speedy said:

Flying Without Wings - I think Ruben's great and all, but I have never liked this song at all, no matter who's singing it.

Falling - I've never liked this song either. Trent sang it well enough I suppose, but the song itself is just forgettable dreck.

I Believe - Lmao well time to redo this ranking, because this is still the best coronation song all these years later. I could do without the endless covers in later years, but the emotion that Fantasia pours into this can't be beaten. Plus it was written by Tamyra Gray, who is also amazing, so yeah just a great song all around.

Inside Your Heaven - Should be WAY lower, I'm a Carrie fan too but this song is just dire. I wish they had let Angels Brought Me Here be her coronation song instead, she poured more emotion into it and the song is much better written imo.

The Time of My Life - I also much prefer Dream Big, as it was more David's style of music. This song is one of the better coronations I guess, but overall it's pleasant but forgettable.

A Moment Like This - This song has always just been too cheesy for me. "For that one special kiss" has always been the lyric that stood out to me, for the wrong reasons lmao. It was better than Before Your Love but overall just meh.

Flying Without Wings - I pretty much agree with this

Falling - Fair enough, though I like that it's not the usual theme the coronation songs have

I Believe - I'm not a fan of the covers of it either because as mentioned the emotion Fantasia pours into it

Inside Your Heaven - No arguments from me regarding this. I prefer Angels Brought Me Here as well

The Time of My Life - Pretty much in agreement here

A Moment Like This - That line does seem out of place, but I feel it's one of the better coronation tunes, though a good number of it has to do with the nostalgia, I admit.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1