Pandora's Box: A Random Idol Rankings Thread

Crisis

Time for the final five! Let's see where they fall...

5. Haley Reinhart - I (Who Have Nothing)

I'm not a die-hard Halien or anything; in fact, I wasn't much of a fan of hers at all at the beginning of S10. However, around Top 8 or so, I found myself cheering her on because her staying power intrigued me and I liked a few of her performances.  Her rendition of I (Who Have Nothing) may have been my favorite of hers, and it so happens to be my favorite Idol rendition, edging out Candice's (at least her Top 10 version). After being panned after Earth Song (which I feel is very underrated), Haley needed a strong second performance in order to have a chance to advance to Top 3. Needless to say, she delivered in a huge way. Lady Gaga gave her great advice when she told her to go psycho and bring more drama to the performance. The vocals and showmanship was spot on and Haley showed she wasn't going down so easy. I put it right up there with Kris Allen's Heartless among the most clutch Idol performances because she managed to make it the Top 3 after it was all said and done. At the end of the day, this is a performance Haliens should be very proud of.

4. Blake Lewis - You Give Love A Bad Name

As less as a fan I was of Haley at the beginning of S10, I was even less of a fan of Blake during S6. I didn't think he was as good as he was made out to be, and his and the bromance's fans irritated me to no end. However, he has grown on me some over the years, and one thing I always gave him credit for was him pioneering switching up songs and making them his own. No performance epitomized that more than his Top 6 redux showing of You Give Love A Bad Name. I think he took the biggest risk of any Idol contestant when he took this well known Bon Jovi number and turned it into something completely different. The beat-boxing and extra sound effects he added were genius and his normal vocals weren't too bad either. In addition, his stage presence was pretty strong here. Also, I have to give it up to the drummer who absolutely killed his part during the performance. I consider it the most groundbreaking performance in Idol history, and definitely Blake's best overall performance of the season.

3. Kelly Clarkson - Stuff Like That There

Honestly, choosing between #3 and #2 was really difficult. However, I've decided to put Stuff Like That There at #3. I don't even need to explain how great Kelly was and the overall impact she's had on Idol, so I'm going to get right into the performance. I liked the intro when it was just her and the piano because it primarily put the focus on her voice. However, when the rest of the band kicked in, the performance was taken to the next level. There was some seriously tricky rhythmic parts and wide vocal ranges in the song; however, Kelly made everything look really easy, not to mention fun. Her singing was pretty much spot on and she definitely looked like a pro on stage; in fact, I have no doubt she would've fit in with the era if she were transported there. Not only is SLTT considered to be Kelly's best performance, it is considered to be one of Idol's greatest performances; in fact, some have it as the best. I agree with the first half, but at first I can't say I agreed with the second half. However, over time I've come to understand why people feel that way, and now I consider it one of my favorite Idol performances.

2. Candice Glover - Lovesong

At #2 we have another performance that is often discussed when talking about the greatest Idol performance of all time. In my Candice write-up in my other thread, I said I may have preferred her other performance Don't Make Me Over over Lovesong that evening. I have since come to my senses and realized I was an idiot. Don't get me wrong, I still absolutely love DMMO; however, Lovesong was on a completely different level. For starters, the arrangement was completely different from the other renditions, and I liked it because it allowed Candice's voice to shine. Speaking of which, her vocals in this performance were nothing short of superb. She went through just about every part of her range as if it were nothing, and she had a strong stage presence. If there was one thing that was off, it was that weird feedback somewhere in the middle of it. 😆 Regardless, it had Keith bowing on his knees and caused Mariah to go on stage and throw glitter on her. 🤣 When it's all said and done, it's easy to see why Lovesong is in the short list when it comes to the greatest Idol performance.

1. Elise Testone - Whole Lotta Love

Not that appears to be any new viewers in this thread, but if there are, my #1 may come as a surprise. However, for those who were in my other thread, this was a given. Elise is one of my all-time favorite Idol contestants, and not only is Whole Lotta Love my favorite Elise performance, it is my all-time favorite Idol performance. As strong as Adam Lambert's version was three years prior (one of the few of his I could tolerate), this version was even better. I don't think there is such a thing as a perfect performance; however, this nearly came close to it. For starters, Elise's vocals were outstanding, from her normal voice to the growls, runs, and other dynamics she added to them. In addition, she worked the stage like the bad:censored: she wanted to be. I also have to give it up to band on this number; they definitely did their thing, especially the lead guitarist. I really liked how Elise interacted with them on stage. Finally, Elise is not someone who many may find conventionally attractive, but I thought she looked kind of hot here. Overall, it's one of a few handful performances I can watch and never get tired of, and I definitely think she did Led Zeppelin proud with it. 😁

005. Haley Reinhart - I (Who Have Nothing)

004. Blake Lewis - You Give Love A Bad Name

003. Kelly Clarkson - Stuff Like That There

002. Candice Glover - Lovesong

001. Elise Testone - Whole Lotta Love

A recap of the overall list:

027. Siobhan Magnus - Superstition

026. David Archuleta - Angels

025. Vonzell Solomon - Best Of My Love

024. Janelle Arthur - I Will

023. Skylar Laine - Wind Beneath My Wings

022. Jessica Sanchez - Everybody Has A Dream

021. Clark Beckham - It's A Man's Man's Man's World

020. Jessica Meuse - The Crow & The Butterfly

019. Diana DeGarmo - Don't Cry Out Loud

018. Jena Irene - Can't Help Falling In Love

017. Maddie Poppe - Homeward Bound

016. Allison Iraheta - Papa Was A Rolling Stone

015. David Archuleta - Imagine

014. Jordin Sparks - I (Who Have Nothing)

013. Carrie Underwood - Alone

012. Kris Allen - Ain't No Sunshine

011. Clay Aiken - Bridge Over Troubled Water

010. David Cook - Billie Jean

009. Kris Allen - Heartless

008. Siobhan Magnus - Paint It Black

007. Pia Toscano - I'll Stand By You

006. Candice Glover - I (Who Have Nothing)

005. Haley Reinhart - I (Who Have Nothing)

004. Blake Lewis - You Give Love A Bad Name

003. Kelly Clarkson - Stuff Like That There

002. Candice Glover - Lovesong

001. Elise Testone - Whole Lotta Love

As a bonus, here are my personal ten favorite Idol performances (it was tough to narrow it down to ten, as there were other performances that were certainly worthy of being there). Feel free to pick them apart or what have you:

010. Blake Lewis – You Give Love A Bad Name

009. Elliott Yamin – A Song For You

008. Caleb Johnson – Dazed And Confused

007. Katharine McPhee – Someone To Watch Over Me

006. LaToya London – Don’t Rain On My Parade

005. Crystal Bowersox – People Get Ready

004. Kelly Clarkson – Stuff Like That There

003. Candice Glover - Lovesong

002. Tamyra Gray – A House Is Not A Home

001. Elise Testone – Whole Lotta Love

Once again, thank you to those who submitted their performances for me to rank. I know it couldn't have been easy seeing what I think about them and potentially tearing them apart; however, all of the performances submitted were great in their own merit, and it was difficult to place some of them. I hope I didn't do too poorly and did them justice. 😄

I don't know what to do next; hopefully, I'll have something later this evening.

Edited by Crisis

3 hours ago, Crisis said:

5. Haley Reinhart - I (Who Have Nothing)

I also have Haley’s I (Who Have Nothing) at #5. I’m glad to see we agree on the placement and that it was the best performance of I (Who Have Nothing) on the show. 😊 I also agree that it was a clutch performance, though not as clutch as Kris’ was. 😅 I loved all the drama and showmanship that was packed into the performance. That, along with Haley’s stellar vocals is what the performance so great! 😄

4. Blake Lewis - You Give Love A Bad Name

If you were ranking most overrated performances in Idol history I would totally agree. 😅 I will give him credit for artistry, but otherwise, this performance didn’t wow me in any way. 😕 The vocals were average and the beatboxing didn’t show off any vocal prowess. The drummer did a great job though! 😁 I have this performance at #26, so hopefully it wasn’t the one you were expecting. I clearly didn’t like this one as much as you did. 🙁

3. Kelly Clarkson - Stuff Like That There

I think this is another overrated performance. 😅 I’m shocked many consider this to be Kelly’s best performance, as I thought Natural Woman and Without You were much better. The vocals for this performance were good, and I will commend Kelly for working with the complicated rhythm. 👍 However, I definitely didn’t think the performance showcased Kelly’s full potential. 😕 I have this one lower than #3, but I can understand why others liked it. 😁

2. Candice Glover - Lovesong

My favorite performance from Candice! 😊 Don’t call yourself an idiot for originally liking her other performance better, we all have unconventional opinions 😅 I absolutely loved the arrangement, and Candice’s vocals were spot-on! 👍 Overall, she definitely deserved that bow from Keith, and the glitter from Mariah! 😂

1. Elise Testone - Whole Lotta Love

I’m guessing you thought this one was my #26. I put this one a bit higher because of Elise’s vocal ability and because she was completely in her element. 😊 Part of the reason why I’m not the biggest fan of this performance is because of the genre. I just found the arrangement to be incredibly choppy, and I didn’t care for the screaming. 🤷‍♂️ I didn’t like this one as much as you did, but I hope you aren’t too bummed by my placement. 😁

My Ranking (UPDATED)

1. Pia Toscano- I’ll Stand by You
2. Jessica Sanchez- Everybody Has a Dream 

3. Allison Iraheta- Papa Was a Rollin’ Stone

4. Diana DeGarmo- Don’t Cry Out Loud

5. Haley Reinhart- I (Who Have Nothing)

6. Kris Allen- Ain’t No Sunshine

7. Skylar Laine- Wind Beneath My Wings

8. David Archuleta- Angels

9. Jena Irene- Can’t Help Falling in Love

10. Janelle Arthur- I Will

11. David Cook- Billie Jean

12. Carrie Underwood- Alone 

13. David Archuleta- Imagine

14. Candice Glover- Lovesong

15. Clark Beckham- It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World

16. Candice Glover- I (Who Have Nothing)

17. Kris Allen- Heartless

18. Clay Aiken- Bridge Over Troubled Water

19. Jordin Sparks- I (Who Have Nothing)

20. Kelly Clarkson- Stuff Like That There

21. Siobhan Magnus- Paint It Black

22. Elise Testone- Whole Lotta Love

23. Maddie Poppe- Homeward Bound

24. Jessica Meuse- The Crow and the Butterfly

25. Vonzell Solomon- Best of My Love

26. Blake Lewis- You Give Love a Bad Name

27. Siobhan Magnus- Superstition

010. Blake Lewis – You Give Love A Bad Name

009. Elliott Yamin – A Song For You

008. Caleb Johnson – Dazed And Confused

007. Katharine McPhee – Someone To Watch Over Me

006. LaToya London – Don’t Rain On My Parade

005. Crystal Bowersox – People Get Ready

004. Kelly Clarkson – Stuff Like That There

003. Candice Glover - Lovesong

002. Tamyra Gray – A House Is Not A Home

001. Elise Testone – Whole Lotta Love

Aah, I was hoping you would reveal your personal top 10! 😁 I’m glad to see Katharine McPhee’s Someone to Watch Over Me on there, though I will say that I prefer Allison’s version. :giggle:

I don't know what to do next; hopefully, I'll have something later this evening.

I’m looking forward to whatever the next topic is! 😊

Edited by Bk1234

2 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

I also have Haley’s I (Who Have Nothing) at #5. I’m glad to see we agree on the placement and that it was the best performance of I (Who Have Nothing) on the show. 😊 I also agree that it was a clutch performance, though not as clutch as Kris’ was. 😅 I loved all the drama and showmanship that was packed into the performance. That, along with Haley’s stellar vocals is what the performance so great! 😄

If you were ranking most overrated performances in Idol history I would totally agree. 😅 I will give him credit for artistry, but otherwise, this performance didn’t wow me in any way. 😕 The vocals were average and the beatboxing didn’t show off any vocal prowess. The drummer did a great job though! 😁 I have this performance at #26, so hopefully it wasn’t the one you were expecting. I clearly didn’t like this one as much as you did. 🙁

I think this is another overrated performance. 😅 I’m shocked many consider this to be Kelly’s best performance, as I thought Natural Woman and Without You were much better. The vocals for this performance were good, and I will commend Kelly for working with the complicated rhythm. 👍 However, I definitely didn’t think the performance showcased Kelly’s full potential. 😕 I have this one lower than #3, but I can understand why others liked it. 😁

My favorite performance from Candice! 😊 Don’t call yourself an idiot for originally liking her other performance better, we all have unconventional opinions 😅 I absolutely loved the arrangement, and Candice’s vocals were spot-on! 👍 Overall, she definitely deserved that bow from Keith, and the glitter from Mariah! 😂

I’m guessing you thought this one was my #26. I put this one a bit higher because of Elise’s vocal ability and because she was completely in her element. 😊 Part of the reason why I’m not the biggest fan of this performance is because of the genre. I just found the arrangement to be incredibly choppy, and I didn’t care for the screaming. 🤷‍♂️ I didn’t like this one as much as you did, but I hope you aren’t too bummed by my placement. 😁

My Ranking (UPDATED)

1. Pia Toscano- I’ll Stand by You
2. Jessica Sanchez- Everybody Has a Dream 

3. Allison Iraheta- Papa Was a Rollin’ Stone

4. Diana DeGarmo- Don’t Cry Out Loud

5. Haley Reinhart- I (Who Have Nothing)

6. Kris Allen- Ain’t No Sunshine

7. Skylar Laine- Wind Beneath My Wings

8. David Archuleta- Angels

9. Jena Irene- Can’t Help Falling in Love

10. Janelle Arthur- I Will

11. David Cook- Billie Jean

12. Carrie Underwood- Alone 

13. David Archuleta- Imagine

14. Candice Glover- Lovesong

15. Clark Beckham- It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World

16. Candice Glover- I (Who Have Nothing)

17. Kris Allen- Heartless

18. Clay Aiken- Bridge Over Troubled Water

19. Jordin Sparks- I (Who Have Nothing)

20. Kelly Clarkson- Stuff Like That There

21. Siobhan Magnus- Paint It Black

22. Elise Testone- Whole Lotta Love

23. Maddie Poppe- Homeward Bound

24. Jessica Meuse- The Crow and the Butterfly

25. Vonzell Solomon- Best of My Love

26. Blake Lewis- You Give Love a Bad Name

27. Siobhan Magnus- Superstition

Aah, I was hoping you would reveal your personal top 10! 😁 I’m glad to see Katharine McPhee’s Someone to Watch Over Me on there, though I will say that I prefer Allison’s version. :giggle:

I’m looking forward to whatever the next topic is! 😊

005. I don't have much to say but I pretty much agree with everything written here! 👍

004. Fair enough about this performance. Simon did say half would love it and half would hate it, and it appears to be the latter for you. At least you channeled your inner James Brown and gave the drummer some love. 😂

003. To be honest, I thought it was overrated at first despite it being good. However, it's one I've come to appreciate more over time and understand why it's so highly celebrated. I do think this performance showcased her personality the best despite not necessarily being her best vocal technically.

002. I know, seeing as I have a number of unconventional opinions between my two threads. 😆 I pretty much agree with your thoughts on this performance.

001. I definitely thought this one would be at #26. 😅 Fair enough about the thoughts on the performance. I had a feeling it would place low in your rankings, but I can't say I'm disappointed where it eventually ended up.

It appears we agree on three performances and have some differing opinions on the rest of them. Well, that's one better than the previous ranking, so I see it as progress. 😅

Yeah, those are my personal Top 10. Since I've asked for the Top 10 of others, it's only fair that I post my own. 😆 As I mentioned earlier, it was really difficult to narrow it down to just ten performances, but I think this is good enough for now. Fair enough about preferring Allison's Someone To Watch Over Me over Kat's; I'll live. 😉 😆

I still don't know what I want to do next. Whatever it is, I hope you and others enjoy it. 👍

• Like 1

@Crisis You don’t have to do this for the next round, but I think you should rank the American Idol coronation songs. There are some difficulties that come with this though... 

1. Will runner-up versions (if the winner and runner-up have the same song) also be ranked? 
2. Will studio versions or live performances be used? 

Edited by Bk1234

WooHoo!!  Your Top 1 & 2, are on my Top 10. So ... COOL BEANS!!!  :thumbsup:

005. Haley Reinhart - I (Who Have Nothing)  Really great performance, by Haley. I can see why it's your favorite version, as it is amazing.  It doesn't give me chills, like Candice's performance , but ... it is an amazing performance. Also, regarding Earth Song ...  I agree, it is quite an underrated performance

004. Blake Lewis - You Give Love A Bad Name  I don't either love it, nor hate it. I mean, kudos for originality, though.  I also, think that it is overrated. The drummer was awesome!

003. Kelly Clarkson - Stuff Like That There  I didn't watch S1, but tell you what .... this performance is so enjoyable, that I have to go back & listen again!!

002. Candice Glover - Lovesong     Yessssss, this chill inducing song by Candice!  I just love this!! Everything about it, is so great!!!!

001. Elise Testone - Whole Lotta Love  As a rocker myself, I LOVE what Elise did with this song. From her vocals, to stage presence, to sheer rocking out, to connection ... it is a STELLAR performance, and she more than did justice to Led Zeppelin

And, looking forward to the next contest. Thanks for doing this, Crisis

2 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

@Crisis You don’t have to do this for the next round, but I think you should rank the American Idol coronation songs. There are some difficulties that come with this though... 

1. Will runner-up versions (if the winner and runner-up have the same song) also be ranked? 
2. Will studio versions or live performances be used? 

That is one to consider. One issue, however, is there haven't been any live performances the previous two seasons. Heck, I don't even think Sam got a coronation song; it's something I'll have to look into. If I were to go this route, I would most likely have to go by the studio versions. Also, I would just stick with the winners' versions.

1 hour ago, psterina said:

WooHoo!!  Your Top 1 & 2, are on my Top 10. So ... COOL BEANS!!!  :thumbsup:

005. Haley Reinhart - I (Who Have Nothing)  Really great performance, by Haley. I can see why it's your favorite version, as it is amazing.  It doesn't give me chills, like Candice's performance , but ... it is an amazing performance. Also, regarding Earth Song ...  I agree, it is quite an underrated performance

004. Blake Lewis - You Give Love A Bad Name  I don't either love it, nor hate it. I mean, kudos for originality, though.  I also, think that it is overrated. The drummer was awesome!

003. Kelly Clarkson - Stuff Like That There  I didn't watch S1, but tell you what .... this performance is so enjoyable, that I have to go back & listen again!!

002. Candice Glover - Lovesong     Yessssss, this chill inducing song by Candice!  I just love this!! Everything about it, is so great!!!!

001. Elise Testone - Whole Lotta Love  As a rocker myself, I LOVE what Elise did with this song. From her vocals, to stage presence, to sheer rocking out, to connection ... it is a STELLAR performance, and she more than did justice to Led Zeppelin

And, looking forward to the next contest. Thanks for doing this, Crisis

Nice to see my Top 2 are two of your submissions! :yes:

005. Fair enough about it not giving you chills like Candice's; however, I'm happy to see you think Haley's version was great as well. It also good to see someone else think Earth Song is underrated (perhaps an idea for a topic 🤔)!

004. Fair enough. It was certainly an original performance. The drummer was indeed awesome! :yes:

003. Nice to see that this performance was enjoyable for you! 👍

002. It's completely understandable for someone to feel that way about this performance.

001. I absolutely agree about it being stellar and her doing more than justice to Led Zeppelin! It was just a great performance all around!

No problem. I hope you do look forward to what comes up in the future! 😄

43 minutes ago, Blirel said:

well well. Elise was my #1 as well. Good choice

robert redford yes GIF

I've been thinking about my next topic; it'll probably be one @miss denise and I were talking about in this thread. However, I'll wait until tomorrow afternoon to see if she replies. If not, I'll probably just go through with it anyway. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

why on earth did you pick THOSE performances above others!?  i added my comments on the list... :whut::wacko:

A recap of the overall list:

027. Siobhan Magnus - Superstition - she never had any performance to remember or what idol is considering a moment. if you want something from season 9 then take casey james jealous guy.

026. David Archuleta - Angels  - going to make some people angry but never really liked him. archie is the reason i don't like teens and kids on idol. he wasn't ready for prime time. season 7 had many others good performances like michael's we are the champions, it's all good and dream on.

025. Vonzell Solomon - Best Of My Love - from all of her performances i would have picked i have nothing. but one reason season 4 is one of my favs is because almost everyone in the top 10 had a chance to shine and give at least one memorable performance:

jessica total eclipse of the heart,

constantine bohemian rhapsody,

anwar moonriver

nadia you don't have to say you love me,

bo in a dream and vehicle,

carrie trouble and when god fearing women get the blues, sin wagon. 

024. Janelle Arthur - I Will - out of a terrible season this is one and only i agree was good but not good enough for the A list. season 12 doesn't belong on that list. 

023. Skylar Laine - Wind Beneath My Wings - i would have put gunpowder and lead instead. but season 11 had better than that like hollie's the climb and rolling in the deep. 

022. Jessica Sanchez - Everybody Has A Dream - NO!! just please no!! :yawnwave:

021. Clark Beckham - It's A Man's Man's Man's World - one of his best but out season 14 i would put jax bang bang or piece of my heart or you give love a bad name.

020. Jessica Meuse - The Crow & The Butterfly - FINALLY something i agree deserve to be on the list but also jessica's blue eyed lie. one of the best originals to be on the show. 

019. Diana DeGarmo - Don't Cry Out Loud - out of season 3 the only A list performance is summertime by fantasia or i believe. nothing else comes close. 

018. Jena Irene - Can't Help Falling In Love - you insist to make me angry and put songs that weren't as good as people made them out to be. i will put here any of caleb's dazed and confused or dream on. 

017. Maddie Poppe - Homeward Bound  - one of the worst winners (shall we say whiners?) out season 16 i'd rather give that spot to gabby's i have nothing or cade's all along the watchtower. 

016. Allison Iraheta - Papa Was A Rolling Stone - from all of allison's performances this is the best? i will put here cry baby or give in to me. if you need something else from season 8 then adam's mad world, black or white, whole lotta love. 

015. David Archuleta - Imagine - NO!!!!! :argh:

014. Jordin Sparks - I (Who Have Nothing) - i will let you pass on that. it was good out of season i didn't care for. 

013. Carrie Underwood - Alone - see comment for #25. carrie had much better performances than that like trouble and when god fearing women get the blues, sin wagon. 

012. Kris Allen - Ain't No Sunshine - i will give that spot to anything from adam. 

011. Clay Aiken - Bridge Over Troubled Water - whatever.. 

010. David Cook - Billie Jean - i will let you pass on that one but carly''s come together should have made the list.

009. Kris Allen - Heartless - his best performances. for once i agree. 

008. Siobhan Magnus - Paint It Black - the only good version i heard of that song was mig's on rockstar inxs. no one on idol did it justice. 

007. Pia Toscano - I'll Stand By You - the best part on pia was her early elimination :mrgreen: 

006. Candice Glover - I (Who Have Nothing) - haven't we agreed season 12 should get a feature on an A list performances!? :fail:

005. Haley Reinhart - I (Who Have Nothing) - i will replace that song with anything else from james durbin or paul mcdonald. 

004. Blake Lewis - You Give Love A Bad Name - 🤮🤢

003. Kelly Clarkson - Stuff Like That There - pretty much everything that kelly did on season 1 should be on the list

002. Candice Glover - Lovesong - 🤬

001. Elise Testone - Whole Lotta Love - adam's version should be here instead!!!:angry:   :adamhappy:

maybe i should just make a list of my own... 

Edited by blackfield
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bk1234 said:

I think her cover of Rise Up was her coronation song. 

Yeah, you're right; it was Rise Up.

47 minutes ago, blackfield said:

why on earth did you pick THOSE performances above others!?  i added my comments on the list... :whut::wacko:

These performances were submitted by other posters who were kind enough to do so for this ranking. I gave ample time to submit performances; therefore, performances that posters wanted to see here could've been so. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Crisis said:

Yeah, you're right; it was Rise Up.

These performances were submitted by other posters who were kind enough to do so for this ranking. I gave ample time to submit performances; therefore, performances that posters wanted to see here could've been so. 🤷‍♂️

I agree. You did give time and even though I forgot to submit any performances, I respect the opinions of people on this blog and respect your list even if we disagreed in spots. 

@blackfield I understand you may not agree with the list but at least respect others opinions. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, blackfield said:

maybe i should just make a list of my own... 

Ummm......    

Apparently, you didn't know what this particular contest was?  :unsure:  You totally  missed your chance to submit your Top 10.  This is made up of other people's Top 10 lists, and then Crisis rated those, that were submitted. Personally, I feel it was filled with so many amazing performances, that most definitely deserved to be on Top 10 lists !!!!!    But ... that's just me  :P

• Like 1

For the next subject, I've decided to open the thread to anyone who wants to rank anything he/she desires. I'll provide this opportunity for 24 hours. If no one decides to do anything within this time frame, I'll go ahead and rank another topic.

• Thanks 1

ok so i missed my opportunity to send my top 10.. but how come summertime wasn't even mentioned? no one? in a dream? higher ground? mad world? cry baby? these are considered some of the best idol performances and none on the list. maybe i will make my list but damn i really don't like ranking.. can i just post my list w/o ranking? 

Been missing from this thread for a while, but playing catch up now.

5. Jennifer Lopez - She grated on my nerves as an Idol judge. Perfect example being of how she LEAPT out of her seat to give Heejun a standing o for "A Song for You," but reluctantly got up for "Whole Lotta Love" while b!tching the entire time. :rolleyes: Steven is the only post-Simon judge I really care for tbh (minus Katy at times).

4. Kara DioGuardi - I'm glad to see Kara get painted in a positive light in this thread. She gets unfairly ganged up on and as you said, it's only because she was the first new judge and people are resistant to change. I know they brought her in season 8 because Paula was on her way out, but I think she'd be more fondly remembered if they had waited for season 9 to bring her in (where she was much better/the best judge on that panel by far). I personally would've preferred to see her continue on the panel over JLo and her endless close-ups, but what can you do.

3. Paula Abdul - She's the best Idol judge and it's not even a contest tbh, it's just too bad that people only realized it after she left. She was the perfect mix of being supportive of the contestants while also being constructive with her criticism. I'll also always appreciate her for having the backs of some underrated contestants over the years.

2. Keith Urban - Meh. He's the best of the Keith/JLo/Harry panel but that's only because he's the most inoffensive. Would be lower on my list.

1. Simon Cowell - I guess at the end of the day, I'd have Simon in 3rd after Paula and Kara, although I will admit he was the biggest part of the Idol machine and a huge reason why the show became the phenomenon that it was. It's mainly the later years where he became much more blatant with his agenda (AI8, the middle seasons of X Factor) where I really began to dislike him, but after XFUS crashed and burned and he became humbled I came around to liking him more again. All in all, a fair #1 of course.

Vonzell and JHud have the best versions of IHN and the song should've just been retired after they did it tbh. I'm so sick of that song, it STILL gets sung to death on X Factor in the later years.

I don't understand the most recent list. Candice's "Love Song" is the best Idol performance of all time in my books, though. Elise's "Whole Lotta Love" is definitely up there as well.

I also read through your earlier thread, with the rankings of the finalists. I'm not gonna comment on posts made months ago, but your rankings are overall solid imo and you give great insight on to each of the contestants as well. It was an enjoyable read.

14 hours ago, blackfield said:

ok so i missed my opportunity to send my top 10.. but how come summertime wasn't even mentioned? no one? in a dream? higher ground? mad world? cry baby? these are considered some of the best idol performances and none on the list. maybe i will make my list but damn i really don't like ranking.. can i just post my list w/o ranking? 

I guess others didn't feel the same way about those performances. Not that it means anything, but Summertime and In A Dream barely missed my personal Top 10 Idol performances. If you want to post your list without ranking it, you're more than free to do so. 🙂

50 minutes ago, The Ghost of Weedy Speedy said:

Been missing from this thread for a while, but playing catch up now.

5. Jennifer Lopez - She grated on my nerves as an Idol judge. Perfect example being of how she LEAPT out of her seat to give Heejun a standing o for "A Song for You," but reluctantly got up for "Whole Lotta Love" while b!tching the entire time. :rolleyes: Steven is the only post-Simon judge I really care for tbh (minus Katy at times).

4. Kara DioGuardi - I'm glad to see Kara get painted in a positive light in this thread. She gets unfairly ganged up on and as you said, it's only because she was the first new judge and people are resistant to change. I know they brought her in season 8 because Paula was on her way out, but I think she'd be more fondly remembered if they had waited for season 9 to bring her in (where she was much better/the best judge on that panel by far). I personally would've preferred to see her continue on the panel over JLo and her endless close-ups, but what can you do.

3. Paula Abdul - She's the best Idol judge and it's not even a contest tbh, it's just too bad that people only realized it after she left. She was the perfect mix of being supportive of the contestants while also being constructive with her criticism. I'll also always appreciate her for having the backs of some underrated contestants over the years.

2. Keith Urban - Meh. He's the best of the Keith/JLo/Harry panel but that's only because he's the most inoffensive. Would be lower on my list.

1. Simon Cowell - I guess at the end of the day, I'd have Simon in 3rd after Paula and Kara, although I will admit he was the biggest part of the Idol machine and a huge reason why the show became the phenomenon that it was. It's mainly the later years where he became much more blatant with his agenda (AI8, the middle seasons of X Factor) where I really began to dislike him, but after XFUS crashed and burned and he became humbled I came around to liking him more again. All in all, a fair #1 of course.

Vonzell and JHud have the best versions of IHN and the song should've just been retired after they did it tbh. I'm so sick of that song, it STILL gets sung to death on X Factor in the later years.

I don't understand the most recent list. Candice's "Love Song" is the best Idol performance of all time in my books, though. Elise's "Whole Lotta Love" is definitely up there as well.

I also read through your earlier thread, with the rankings of the finalists. I'm not gonna comment on posts made months ago, but your rankings are overall solid imo and you give great insight on to each of the contestants as well. It was an enjoyable read.

5. Fair enough about J-Lo. Though I didn't mind her, she did annoy me from time to time.

4. Pretty much agree about Kara. I think she would've been looked at more favorably had she been brought in during S9 instead of S8 with the original panel.

3. Pretty much agree about Paula. Her presence was certainly missed during S9 where there was no one to have the contestants backs or provide the motherly nature when the other judges were harsh.

2. Fair enough.

1. Fair enough.

Fair enough about Vonzell and J-Hud having the best versions of IHN done on the show, though I have Trenyce up there as well. I agree the song should be retired and here's hoping no one sings it in S19; otherwise, I may break something (except not really :haha:).

Lovesong was certainly a great performance and I have it in my Top 3; however, it is completely understandable how it is thought to be the greatest Idol performance of all-time.

I'm happy to see you read my other thread and enjoyed reading it. With the exception of maybe a few, I did try to have some balance and be as objective as much as possible. It was a lot of fun although I completely underestimated how much work it was going to be. :haha:

20 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Fair enough about Vonzell and J-Hud having the best versions of IHN done on the show, though I have Trenyce up there as well. I agree the song should be retired and here's hoping no one sings it in S19; otherwise, I may break something (except not really :haha:).

I'm happy to see you read my other thread and enjoyed reading it. With the exception of maybe a few, I did try to have some balance and be as objective as much as possible. It was a lot of fun although I completely underestimated how much work it was going to be. :haha:

I actually forgot about Trenyce, she did a great cover of the song as well/is easily in the top 3. But JHud and especially Vonzell were just in another league imo.

Lol I've tried lists over the years and ended up abandoning them more often than not, but congrats for having the first (and so far only) list on New!IDF. It was a good one and you have excellent taste in Idol contestants, I'd like to add.

If you're still looking for ideas on things to do, a fad that was really popular on IDF around the time AI10 ended were the Redos. Have you ever read WNTS and their Camp Should-a-Been? It's essentially the same idea, but based on your tastes on who should advance out of the semifinals/been eliminated each week/should've won etc. I made the very first one on IDF and the idea spread like wildfire. One of my proudest IDF accomplishments. :haha: I'm really sad that they got lost by the apocalypse.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, The Ghost of Weedy Speedy said:

If you're still looking for ideas on things to do, a fad that was really popular on IDF around the time AI10 ended were the Redos. Have you ever read WNTS and their Camp Should-a-Been? It's essentially the same idea, but based on your tastes on who should advance out of the semifinals/been eliminated each week/should've won etc. I made the very first one on IDF and the idea spread like wildfire. One of my proudest IDF accomplishments. :haha: I'm really sad that they got lost by the apocalypse.

@Crisis I would love for you to do this! 😊

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Weedy Speedy said:

I actually forgot about Trenyce, she did a great cover of the song as well/is easily in the top 3. But JHud and especially Vonzell were just in another league imo.

Lol I've tried lists over the years and ended up abandoning them more often than not, but congrats for having the first (and so far only) list on New!IDF. It was a good one and you have excellent taste in Idol contestants, I'd like to add.

Fair enough.

Thank you for the kind words about my list.

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Weedy Speedy said:

25 minutes ago, Bk1234 said:

@Crisis I would love for you to do this! 😊

I have read a few of CSABs on WNTS as well as a lot of those type of threads during my lurking days and always thought it was fun to see how posters would have the seasons turn out if they were in charge. However, as fun as that sounds, it's most likely something I won't do because I wouldn't have the time, plus I would completely suck when it comes to picking songs for contestants who'd advance past where they were initially eliminated. :haha:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Crisis said:

I have read a few of CSABs on WNTS as well as a lot of those type of threads during my lurking days and always thought it was fun to see how posters would have the seasons turn out if they were in charge. However, as fun as that sounds, it's most likely something I won't do because I wouldn't have the time, plus I would completely suck when it comes to picking songs for contestants who'd advance past where they were initially eliminated. :haha:

That’s ok... If you ever think to do it again, I could help with song choices. 🙂

28 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Lol fair enough, although you don't have to choose songs for contestants if you don't want to. That's just something one poster in particular did to make his different, and people followed suit after that. I would be interested in reading if you ever did decide to do them, though.

• Like 1