Canadian Politics

Rate this topic

ButterflyEffect

3 minutes ago, season1 said:

I guess Trudeau wants Canada to be like China. What's next, Tiannamen Square?

Yep, and apparently at least half of Canadians approve of this, so I don’t see much hope. Their society is being torn apart at the seams, and most of them don’t even realize it. 

• Like 1

lol. Try parking a bunch of trucks and partying and hottubbing in Tiananmen Square for 3 weeks and see how far that comparison gets you.

I don't support the government's use of the Emegencies Act on its own dissidents, or the general use of anti-terrorism measures on these people. It's an awful precedent. Just arrest people breaking the law. It's not that complicated.

5 hours ago, RWG said:

lol. Try parking a bunch of trucks and partying and hottubbing in Tiananmen Square for 3 weeks and see how far that comparison gets you.

I don't support the government's use of the Emegencies Act on its own dissidents, or the general use of anti-terrorism measures on these people. It's an awful precedent. Just arrest people breaking the law. It's not that complicated.

All of this !

I do understand there are laws that need to be enforced. For example, horns honking constantly for days on end is probably a little much in a populated area. They didn’t need the Emergencies Act to put a stop to that. It seems like the protestors were rather compliant. And, obviously we can’t have the Ambassador Bridge completely blocked for too long. They didn’t need the Emergencies Act to get it cleared. From a distance, it looks like a combination of lax law enforcement, and a Prime Minister who wishes he was a dictator (he has literally said this in the past, lol). Enforce laws, but don’t be destroying people’s lives over this. Furthermore, those in power need a better understanding of what created the protests in the first place. Anyone with a shred of objectivity can see that these protestors are not criminals or bad citizens. If they were smart, they would open up a dialogue with those who feel disenfranchised (far more people than those who are actively protesting, I’m sure), and turn this into a political win, but I won’t hold my breath. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 2

There are a lot of these tweets today, and since the police are threatening to arrest the media for getting too close, I’m sure we won’t see much of what is happening. But, there are snipers on the roof of several buildings, military, and probably more police officers in full riot gear than protestors. Apparently, the police are in charge. Whatever they say goes. Where are the hypocrites who complained about the police and National Guard tear gassing and shooting with rubber bullets, those who were burning down Lake Street in Minneapolis? Literally burning it down. And looting. And assaulting. I remember. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Thanks 1

Notice how at about the 1:00 mark, the soldier opens the passenger side front door, and points his rifle into the truck. 

Looks like several protestors being tackled at once in this video. Well, we don’t really know whether they are protestors, or whether they committed a crime. We just know they were there at the time. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Thanks 1

OMG, some people got trampled by the horses. 

Here is the video. 

From this view, you can see they made the decision to ride the horses directly through a packed crowd without warning. There is clear intent here. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Thanks 1

More about the woman trampled by horses and the Ottawa Police lied about her:

In 1989, tanks were used by the Chinese military against peaceful protesters. In 2022, police horses were used to trample peaceful protesters. Tyrants use the same tactic, albeit employing different tools. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sneaky said:

This is getting silly. I'm against what the Democrats seem to believe about covid vaccines but if your job is telling you to get the vaccine just get it or find a different job that works for you better. All this damn drama

Not everyone participating in the protests is unvaccinated. I think it goes much deeper than than that, which is why they’re willing to risk everything.

The problem for Canadians, going forward is that the government has now dipped their toe in authoritarianism. I don’t think that’s something that can be half-assed, because a lot of people will rise up. The man who wishes he was a dictator will be forced to up the ante. This isn’t just going to disappear overnight.  

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 1

I looked at the saved livestream she was filming at the time. Cops were beating people with batons, including this female journalist. I’m sure we’ll get a video cut if the incident. She appeared to be severely injured, since she had to be carried away from the scene. 

EDIT: here is the video of the incident. 

EDIT: 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, QueenKalie said:

I'm surprised you even bother with them still.

Now that they’re posting in this thread, I will call out what is false and pure misinformation. 

Funny how they never cared about Canadian politics until now. I’d like to see them point out the capital on a Canadian map !

20 minutes ago, *Chris said:

This is a complete lie.

FOX News have retracted the story. And Ottawa Police have confirmed that it’s false.

What exactly is the lie? There is video and photographic evidence. What more do you need? The only thing inaccurately reported were claims that she had died at the hospital. Even I knew better than to run with that without confirmation. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, *Chris said:

Funny how they never cared about Canadian politics until now. I’d like to see them point out the capital on a Canadian map !

Yeah it is funny. My mom and older sister are the exact same way as the posters in the thread. Neither of them know shit about Canada but they all of a sudden care and act like the most knowledgeable people on the subject. It's annoying and I just have to ignore them for my own sanity.