Canadian Politics

Rate this topic

ButterflyEffect

The government's handling of the coronavirus has been ok. Basically competent. If had to give it a pass or fail grade, I guess it would be pass. It hasn't been nearly as good as many think because Trudeau is being graded on the Trump curve, as usual.

The economic response was typically Liberal, wonky for the sake of being wonky. It seems to have helped the middle class and people in the service sector. Not so much the poor and vulnerable. They had CERB money going out fast, but when they announced the Emergency Wage Subsidy, the people who were better off with that had to give the CERB money back before they could get the CEWS (again, overly wonky). The daily Trudeau briefings are a bit ridiculous. 

The situation in long-term care homes is a scandal. I guess technically that's more on the Ontario and Quebec provincial governments though.

I don't know about the Conservatives. The opposition in general was right to deny Trudeau's attempted power grab. The leadership race is another story. To the extent that anyone is paying attention, it's just devolved into an utter tire fire.

I'll be curious to see where things are 6-8 months once we're all back to work and things are starting to rebound. Right now the Liberals are polling in huge majority territory, but it could honestly be from the Conservatives coming off as tone deaf along with what seems to be an absolute disaster of a leadership race. If the economy is slow to re-start, or if unemployment stays high for an extended period of time, I can see the Liberal support absolutely collapsing, it's at an unsustainable high right now.

Shoutouts to Doug Ford, by the way. Don't like the guy, who I think has made questionable decisions in the past. But he appears to have done a good job throughout the Ontario pandemic and actually comes off as someone who truly cares and wants to do good for the province.

I would love the government to announce more help for industries suffering due to this pandemic - don't necessarily like all of their solutions, but I think they are doing a good as a whole; this should say something considering I'm not the biggest fan of the current government.

With that being, I think the majority of the premier & the chief medical officer of each provinces are doing an incredible job - I am incredibly pleased with the way my province dealt with the situation. 

Edited by *Chris

1 hour ago, ButterflyEffect said:

^ New Brunswick should be the envy of all other provinces (along with PEI of course). You two have done an incredible job.

The population density, obviously helped. But I think everyone following the guidelines & the government acting early on despite barely having any cases helped us. 

I do hope that NB'ers are traveling around NB, this year, to help our tourism industry. 

Edited by *Chris

I don't really buy that citizens in different parts of the country are doing a better job than others. Most people everywhere don't want to get the virus, and everywhere has some people who think this is all overblown and stupid. It's just population density.

When I go out in the city, most people try to stay away from me. There's just so many people and so little room on the sidewalk or the grocery aisle.

British Columbia is getting a lot of credit for flattening its curve quickly, given that it got the first cases and looked like it was going to be Canada's hotspot. Though the theory that the mutated version of the virus that came to the East Coast through Europe is more contagious or severe than the one that went to the Pacific Coast directly from China seems plausible.

• 4 weeks later...

EZdbauJU8AEKDvP?format=jpg&name=900x900

In my experience, the people most likely to buy into the "no racism in Canada" meme are liberals and people who live in regions where there are only white people. Shows of racism are very common in the major cities.

Edited by RWG

Rex Murphy is the worst thing to come out of Newfoundland.

From my experience people who buy into the no racism in Canada thing are indeed white rural folks who live in predominantly white areas. They are also the people most likely to be racist (to some varying degrees of severity) without being self-aware of it, or being aware of what others are saying. Where I grew up people would never even think about speaking ill of a Black person since they know it's socially unacceptable to do so, but the vitrol spewed at Middle Easterns or Southeast Asians is unreal, and the people saying it don't even realize how racist it is.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another ethics scandal for Trudeau. What a bonehead.

Trudeau’s family members received $283,400 to speak at events hosted by WE Charity

We've known the Kielburgers were frauds for a while now; the walls had been closing in on them for at least a year now. And this comes right after Trudeau was forgiven by the voters for the SNC Lavalin affair. I really don't think this stuff clocks with him. He was born into the Laurentian culture in which rich and powerful people do favours for each other, and he's just not able to spot what's wrong with it ethically.

This is the opinion of the BQ leader, but I wonder how much Liberal party kingpins think about this.

Freeland Should Act As PM While Trudeau Investigated For WE Charity Deal: Blanchet

Edited by RWG

It's a bad time for the Conservatives to be running around leaderless since this is complete gold for them. Trudeau and the Liberals got a lot of good will from the electorate thanks to their excellent handling of the pandemic, so I guess we'll see how the polls shift in the coming weeks. Even still I think they'll be able to survive this.

^ I wonder how it affects their plan to call an election. Depending on who you listen to, they might have been getting close.

I've been shocked by how bad McKay's performance in the Conservative leadership race has been. He really might blow it to O'Toole.

It might be political suicide to roll for one right now (they'd need either the NDP or the Bloc's support anyway), but should polling become more favourable for the Conservatives rolling into the fall months they may try and push a vote of no confidence in the house. I can't see the BQ wanting to support it, but the NDP could see a good opportunity to gain more seats.

As for the leadership, it's been a shitshow for what should have been a slam dunk for MacKay. I think he'll end up winning, though it'll be a lot closer than it has any business being.

I'd have guessed the BQ would be the party least likely to support a snap election. Most of those people currently have the best jobs they'll ever have. And for all their posturing, the Liberals couldn't care less how unpopular they are in Alberta and Saskatchewan. Their plan to get their majority back is by winning back the Quebec seats that went to the Bloc last election.

I don't really know who the people who vote for the Conservative leader are or what their psyche is. But based on their last leadership race, the members seem to prefer the red meat candidates.

Edited by RWG

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/10/2020 at 5:36 PM, RWG said:

Another ethics scandal for Trudeau. What a bonehead.

Trudeau’s family members received $283,400 to speak at events hosted by WE Charity

We've known the Kielburgers were frauds for a while now; the walls had been closing in on them for at least a year now. And this comes right after Trudeau was forgiven by the voters for the SNC Lavalin affair. I really don't think this stuff clocks with him. He was born into the Laurentian culture in which rich and powerful people do favours for each other, and he's just not able to spot what's wrong with it ethically.

This is the opinion of the BQ leader, but I wonder how much Liberal party kingpins think about this.

Freeland Should Act As PM While Trudeau Investigated For WE Charity Deal: Blanchet

This WE scandal seems to not be going away any time soon.  It's fascinating.

I don't think I ever realized the kind of money the Kielburgers have.  I'm always seeing their column in the newspaper about how we should all do more.  I've never really liked them.  I am not comfortable with people who want to be seen doing charitable things and getting praise for it.  It's beginning to look a lot like they got rich off it too. 

My favourite scandal was when Morneau forgot he had a villa.  They really don't live like normal people.

11 minutes ago, Mysteriosa said:

My favourite scandal was when Morneau forgot he had a villa.  They really don't live like normal people.

He seems to be forgetting alot of things :haha:

But yes, he was born into money, and he married someone from one of the wealthiest family from NB beside the Irvings. 

• 3 weeks later...

Atlantic Canada as a whole is a bit volatile right now, with 3 of 4 provinces being under minority government mandates.

New Brunswick looks like it'll be moving to the polls soon. I think the Conservatives see that they can improve on their seat count and possibly get a majority government so they're going to bounce on it.

PEI could probably do the same thing to be honest, the Conservatives there right now are seeing historic levels of approval.

Nova Scotia has the most stable situation, even though their Premier just announced he's stepping down. Liberals are under a majority mandate and will likely hit the polls in 2022 for their next fixed election.

Newfoundland will swear in a new Premier next week, but his governing Liberal party is also under a minority mandate. Our election laws actually dictate that since the new Premier wasn't elected that he will have to call for a general election within one year of them being sworn in. Liberals are polling at a slight majority territory at the moment, but it might be too risky for them to call an election right away. Conservatives are still breathing down their necks.

2 hours ago, ButterflyEffect said:

New Brunswick General Election has been called for Monday, September 14th.

It's a bold move, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for him.

It'll be interesting & it's definitely a bold move but I believe the PC may have a good shot at a majority considering the approval rating & how they handled the COVID-19 pandemic. And they've been doing a good job at recruiting some candidates for a while now, and some Liberals are not seeking reelection - I'm not sure Vickers did enough to be known in the province and prove that he;s ready to deal with the job on day one. 

New leader of the Conservative Party of Canada will be announced tonight. 

I think it's going to be close. Most people expect MacKay to take it, and I do think he will win, but it'll likely be very close. Most likely on the third ballot.

I also expect that O'Toole will win the popular vote but just come up short in points.