Canadian Politics

Rate this topic

ButterflyEffect

Here’s the leaders debate 

it’s an hour long but here’s what I took away from it when it comes to voting, with the pcs, it’s all about right now while the liberals are concerned for the future and the NDP like to spend :P

like, pretty much sacrifice and get rewarded in the end like free health care.  That’s how we have health care cause we invested in it 

I haven't been paying much attention to the Ontario election, though it looks like Doug Ford's majority is safe. Who the opposition will be though is another question.

I did see a riding poll today that had the Greens ahead in Parry Sound - Muskoka. That would certainly be an upset, though riding-specific polling does come with a much higher margin of error.

On 5/25/2022 at 12:57 PM, FunkyFrankie said:

Here’s the leaders debate 

Unfortunately, covid was in the room for this event of the leaders yelling at each other for 2 hours. Horwath and Schreiner both tested positive after (Ford didn't get tested).

I'm sort of interested in ridings like Toronto-St. Paul's, Toronto city ridings that are safe Liberal seats federally and provincially and went for the ONDP last time because Wynne basically punted.

Agree they are just playing for 2nd now. PCs look like they will probably get a majority.

On 5/27/2022 at 1:52 AM, RWG said:

Unfortunately, covid was in the room for this event of the leaders yelling at each other for 2 hours. Horwath and Schreiner both tested positive after (Ford didn't get tested).

How do you know?😯

Oh yeah I forgot, you guys aren’t ontarians🤣

Not surprisng that Ford won a majority. I'm a bit surprised the NDP did so well seat-wise. I didn't expect them to get more than 25. Disaster for the Liberals. Their leader didn't even win his seat.

Happy trails to Andrea Horwath and Steven Del Duca.

• 4 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, ButterflyEffect said:

Happy (late) Canada Day all. While our country might not be perfect, it's certainly worth celebrating

I'm going to assume they were able to safely celebrate it without getting murdered at their parades.

• Like 2

John Horgan is stepping down as premier of BC in the fall and retiring. Not especially surprising given the current climate and the fact he just fought off cancer for the second time. There have been rumours about this for month.

The frontrunners to take over are probably Ravi Kahlon and David Eby. Likely Kahlon if Horgan is playing kingmaker.

I'm with Telus, so I was good. But it's incredible how much of the country comes to a standstill because of one company's mistake. This just happened with Rogers a year or so ago.

• 1 month later...

Conservative leadership election is this weekend. The only real unknown about this right now is whether or not Pierre Poilievre will win on the first or second ballot. I suspect he will be a first ballot winner.

I have to say it's quite remarkable that the supposed moderate option of Jean Charest is so unpopular that many moderate/red tories have just decided to support Poilievre despite the numerous questionable things he's said and done.

I don't think Poilievre will get much traction with the general electorate, outside of traditional CPC voters as well as siphoning off a large portion of 2021 PPC voters. However, with Justin Trudeau indicating that he will take the Liberals into the next election, which is probably still 2 years away, you have to wonder if voter fatigue for Trudeau and the Liberals could play in Poilievre's favor. Every government and Prime Minister has an expiry date...

• 9 months later...