Canadian Politics

Rate this topic

ButterflyEffect

It only took 7 years for this warning/prediction to come true.  Written in late 2014, the original article has since been scrubbed from the Internet. HuffPost still has the article but it might not be there for long. Here's an archive:

https://web.archive.org/web/20220220151540/https://www.huffpost.com/archive/ca/entry/trudeau-dictator_b_6314494/amp

wc8N566.png

It's becoming clearer as the days of Trudeau's Liberals wear on: if elected Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau would turn Canada into a dictatorship.

This is the man who admitted he "admires China's basic dictatorship." It wasn't just a sarcastic comment - he seriously said that he admires the dictatorship because they can get things done quickly.

And it's becoming clearer that Trudeau not only admires the dictatorship -- he runs the Liberal Party like one too.

How else can one explain the police-enforced acclamation of Andrew Leslie as the Liberal candidate for Orleans? Even with hundreds of Liberals attending the meeting to show their support for another candidate (and former Trudeau leadership rival), it was clear from the beginning that Leslie was Trudeau's hand-picked favourite, and certainly wouldn't be stopped by pesky processes like "democracy."

Just the imagery of Trudeau's chosen candidate being selected with police intervention is scary. It shows that Trudeau doesn't just admire China's dictatorship -- he would practice one if he had the chance.

And yesterday, 2/21/2022, "democrats" and "liberals" in the parliament voted to give Trudeau powers closer to a full-blown dictator by passing the Emergencies Act.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-emergencies-act-vote-1.6359243

A motion affirming the Liberal government's decision to invoke the Emergencies Act passed a crucial House of Commons vote Monday, ensuring the expansive powers contained in the act remain in use by authorities thanks to parliamentary support from the New Democrats. 

While the powers contained in the Emergency Act took effect immediately, the Liberal government needed to seek approval for its decision to invoke the act from the House of Commons within seven days. If that vote had failed, the emergency declaration would have been revoked. 

Conservative MPs in the House booed and shouted "shame" when the first NDP MPs stood up to vote in favour of the motion. The Conservatives, however, applauded Bloc Québécois MPs when they stood to support the Conservatives.

The Liberals cheered loudly, drowning out heckles from the Conservatives when Green MP Elizabeth May voted in favour of the motion, which passed by a vote of 185 to 151.

Immediately after the vote passed, interim Conservative Leader Candice Bergen stood up and tried to enter a motion recalling the use of the Emergencies Act, but that motion was ruled out of order. 

Canada is supposed to be ranked 5th in the world in terms of being democratic, yet its government can confiscate the assets and freeze bank accounts of citizens by simply calling them "terrorists" for exercising their charter rights to peacefully protest, or for simply donating to a cause that the government does not agree with. Anyone who criticize the government (or support the peaceful protesters) can be labeled "terrorist" and get their bank accounts shut down. Without due process.

And then there's this under-reported news:

The Trudeau government’s financial war against the truckers has been covered at length. But one underreported aspect of this broader assault on Canadian civil liberties is the effort to bring crowdfunding and payment service providers — two of the most prominent routes for financial transactions on the Internet — under the permanent control of a centralized government authority.

In a February 14 news conference, Canadian finance minister Chrystia Freeland said that the government was using the Emergencies Act to broaden “the scope of Canada’s anti-money-laundering and terrorist financing rules so that they cover crowdfunding platforms and the payment service providers they use.” That broadened power requires all forms of digital transactions, including cryptocurrencies, to be reported to the Financial Transactions and Reports Analysis Center of Canada. (I.e., “Fintrac”). “As of today, all crowdfunding platforms and the payment service providers they use must register with Fintrac, and they must report large and suspicious transactions to Fintrac,” Freeland said. She justified the move as a way to “mitigate the risk” of “illicit funds” and “increase the quality and quantity of intelligence received by Fintrac and make more information available to support investigations by law enforcement.” Trudeau, standing behind Freeland at the press conference, nodded his head in agreement.

Imagine if they succeed in implementing a cashless society (digital currency) plus social credit score. QR code is just the beginning.

Edited by season1
  • Like 1

Okay…. 

Not the biggest fan of the act but I think you should read into it, first. Or how the parliamentary system works as he made it a confidence vote hence why the NDP voted for it, in the end, despite many of them believing it is not needed anymore - the country just went into an election that brought nothing and I rather not have another one, myself, at this time. 

It is mentioned  in the act that it ends within thirty days of implementation and to extend it, it needs to be put to a vote. As well, any parties can introduce a motion to end the emergency which the conservatives will be doing in coming days - they tried to table it under a point of order which isn’t allowed. And they will have NDP and dissented Liberals that will vote to end it, IMO. 

I believe he would have had the votes in the Senate, and it would have passed. If it would have been voted down, it would have been on the purpose that it was not needed anymore.

But considering the Senate in Canada is not elected, they rarely ever vote anything down. They only provide second-thoughts and do amendments to bills. 

1 hour ago, *Chris said:

I believe he would have had the votes in the Senate, and it would have passed. If it would have been voted down, it would have been on the purpose that it was not needed anymore.

But considering the Senate in Canada is not elected, they rarely ever vote anything down. They only provide second-thoughts and do amendments to bills. 

How would you explain the sudden reversal, despite conditions on the ground being exactly what they were on Monday? 

7 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

I think the banks made some calls. When the EA was first implemented, they froze dozens of accounts. But what's not reported is that several major banks had to shut down online access for a time. There are rumors that some big depositors are pulling their money out of the banks. Probably moving them to US banks or other countries.

What do you think would happen when people realize that the EA is in effect for another 30 days and the biggest government action from this act is to freeze bank accounts? Would you risk your money in Canadian banks, knowing that the government made it clear that they can freeze your money without court order? Especially businesses that could be targeted? When groups and people started closing their accounts, the banks are worried. They don't have the liquidity to cover all depositors, and the EA has the potential to trigger a huge bank run.

In 48 hours, the government had to reverse its position, despite no changes in the condition on the ground. Follow the money?

Edited by season1

Do I know why he revoked it ? No. Should it have been revoked the moment it passed ? Yes. 

In my opinion, he knew that was only a matter of time until a motion was going to be tabled in the house, as a motion and not a point of order, to have a vote on the end of the emergency act which would have most likely passed with dissident NDP and Liberals, as it would not have been a confident vote. 

Considering the senate is dominated by senators appointed by Trudeau, I do have a hard time to think that it was 50 / 50 and it would have failed in the Senate. 

On 2/23/2022 at 9:11 PM, *Chris said:

The senate in Canada is a glorified retirement gig. Work hard when you're younger and maybe you'll be lucky enough to be appointed to the Senate where you can receive a massive salary to more or less sign some papers.

Just now, ButterflyEffect said:

The senate in Canada is a glorified retirement gig. Work hard when you're younger and maybe you'll be lucky enough to be appointed to the Senate where you can receive a massive salary to more or less sign some papers.

Shhh... its the end goal for my involvement in politics like a certain SK senator :giggle: 

On 2/24/2022 at 4:50 AM, season1 said:

I think the banks made some calls. When the EA was first implemented, they froze dozens of accounts. But what's not reported is that several major banks had to shut down online access for a time. There are rumors that some big depositors are pulling their money out of the banks. Probably moving them to US banks or other countries.

What do you think would happen when people realize that the EA is in effect for another 30 days and the biggest government action from this act is to freeze bank accounts? Would you risk your money in Canadian banks, knowing that the government made it clear that they can freeze your money without court order? Especially businesses that could be targeted? When groups and people started closing their accounts, the banks are worried. They don't have the liquidity to cover all depositors, and the EA has the potential to trigger a huge bank run.

In 48 hours, the government had to reverse its position, despite no changes in the condition on the ground. Follow the money?

People had already been withdrawing money from the banks, even before Monday. I agree that financial institutions may have made their voices heard, but a lot of reasonable people viewed this a massive overreach, including many Trudeau appointed Senators. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ButterflyEffect said:

And for my feelings on the Emergencies Act.....I'm neutral on its implementation. However, it really didn't help end the stupid occupation of Ottawa. All that really changed was the police doing their f*cking job. The EA wasn't needed for that lol.

If you didn’t think the EA was needed to end the occupation, why are you neutral on it? Just curious. 

You are correct, I do not know much about Canadian politics. Why in the hell is the Senate needed? I’ll hang up and listen. :haha:

Edited by TeamAudra

I'm glad the vaccine experts have now become experts on Canadian federal policy. I feel like I needed some Republicans to tell me how I should feel.

Still waiting on those empty grocery store shelves....

I am not a Republican. Just to be clear. 

Nobody made a guarantee of empty shelves. I think I used the words, “just in case.” Having said that, there are definitely supply chain issues, unless the articles I just read are completely fabricated. 

I’ll just throw this in here for my amusement. I hope you don’t have a cat! :haha:

2 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

If you didn’t think the EA was needed to end the occupation, why are you neutral on it? Just curious. 

Should it have been needed then it could have been useful to the government and police. But as expected there was really only one thing prolonging the occupation, and that was just the police being horribly inefficient. And by inefficient I mean not even trying to perform their duties. I'm not going to get up in arms about the Emergencies Act like hyper partisans have decided to do. Maybe had the military been the ones coming in and shutting it down I'd feel more strongly.

Just now, TeamAudra said:

You are correct, I do not know much about Canadian politics. Why in the hell is the Senate needed? I hang up and listen. :haha:

Oh pal, this is a question Canadians have been asking forever. There have been many calls to abolish the Senate over the years. Conservatives are more keen to keep the Senate than any other political affiliation, though there is no real benefit to any political party since the majority of the senate sits as "independents". The Senate reviews bills and passes them. Occasionally they'll find something they don't like, reject it, and send it back to the house for revision, but it's rare for something to be rejected by the senate more than once.

This is a process which should, in theory, happen inside the House of Commons with MPs. I guess it does provide some oversight when relating to majority governments, but the Senate will usually try and not rock the boat too much. In a way the Senate can often be lumped into the "ceremonial" aspect of our government, much like in the same way the Queen of England is the head of state, who's role is then delegated to the Governor General, who itself will not interfere in the democratic process of the House.

• 2 months later...

Been away from IDF for a while, so haven't really had much of a chance to ask about now old news: how are we feeling about the Liberal-NDP coalition?

This is exactly how our electoral system is supposed to work. And I think it's the path that leads us directly to a Conservative government when the next election happens. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2022 at 5:20 AM, ButterflyEffect said:

Been away from IDF for a while, so haven't really had much of a chance to ask about now old news: how are we feeling about the Liberal-NDP coalition?

This is exactly how our electoral system is supposed to work. And I think it's the path that leads us directly to a Conservative government when the next election happens. 

I don't really know what the NDP expects to get out of it politically. If anything like pharmacare or dentalcare that the Liberals have to capitulate on as part of the deal ends up being popular, the Liberals will just steal credit for it. I guess the NDP literally can't afford another election anyime soon.

I do think it underscores the fact that the Conservatives may need to win a majority in order to form government, and should inform what kind of leader they choose. Not that I think it will.

If Dougie wins another majority in Ontario, you'd think being a conservative who's twice won majority gov'ts in the country's largest province and the one with the battlegrounds the CPC needs would make him a pretty formidable candidate for leader. But the membership seems to prefer the cowboy MPs.

Edited by RWG
  • Like 1

I'm not there, but from afar it seems to be broadly

PCO: vote for us if you like the way the province is being run, also more highways.

LPO: similar budgetary goals, here's a bunch of ticky tack rebates to differentiate us.

ONDP: more spending and bolder policy proposals ($20 minimum wage), made by a party that knows it won't win and is fighting to hang onto 2nd.