Country music:IDF's enemy

Misirlou

1 hour ago, Someone648 said:

Clicking on that article sent me down like 10 different articles/reviews/opinion pieces and now I dislike country at least 7% more, so thanks for that. :haha:

Just for clarification....your dislike for the music or the business of country music?  If it's the latter, a lot of country music fans might actually agree with you.  

3 minutes ago, Spurrious said:

Just for clarification....your dislike for the music or the business of country music?  If it's the latter, a lot of country music fans might actually agree with you.  

The latter for me. 

Reading his review Dixie Chicks latest single was all it took for me to get depressed. Then I went and listened to it, which didn’t help. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, QueenMae16 said:

r genre on IDF, I know a lot of people don´t really hate it but they definitely prefer other genres over it, so that c

Ack... messed up a quote box.  

Are we talking about country music in general or the country singers on the show getting favored?   Because there seem to be two different and separate streams of conversation happening here.

Edited by Catsy

12 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

The latter for me. 

Reading his review Dixie Chicks latest single was all it took for me to get depressed. Then I went and listened to it, which didn’t help. 

Yeah...I will not begrudge Natalie for doing what she wants ....but for the love of God....call it what it is...a Natalie Maines record.  Leave the Dixie Chicks in the reverent place I hold for them.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Misirlou said:

Yeah, I agree that the title of the thread wasn´t reflective of the issue here, but at least the question was answered here: IDF dislikes the advantages the country dudes have on the show rather than disliking country music by itself.

Partially; I think if you were to create a favorite genre poll on idf though, country would not take the top spot (or next or next). For the purposes of this thread though, I think the percentage of responders skewed towards idfers who like country.

oh and for the record the two new Dixie chicks songs are excellent. 

Edited by seak05

22 minutes ago, joe14 said:

IDF hates male country artists. They love country female artists to a fault at times...even the mediocre ones. 

I would agree with this except in a less extreme manner

I would rephrase this as, "IDF generally dislikes male country artists. They love country female artists much more, even when the singers are similarly good.

21 minutes ago, ashwinner said:

I would agree with this except in a less extreme manner

I would rephrase this as, "IDF generally dislikes male country artists. They love country female artists much more, even when the singers are similarly good.

Interesting...when was the last time IDF actually liked a male country artist? I honestly cannot remember.

For a female, you just have to be as good as Gracee or Emily Ann Roberts...nothing wrong with them, I like them, but they are hardly compelling. The bar is set pretty low for female country artists around here imo. People acted like Jake was much worse than he actually was last year and he is not any worse than some of the female country artists. 

Edited by joe14
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, joe14 said:

Interesting...when was the last time IDF actually liked a male country artist? I honestly cannot remember.

For a female, you just have to be as good as Gracee or Emily Ann Roberts...nothing wrong with them, I like them, but they are hardly compelling. The bar is set pretty low for female country artists around here imo. People acted like Jake was much worse than he actually was last year and he is not any worse than some of the female country artists. 

yeah, I don't like country, but found that Jake's performance of desperado was really well done. maybe idf doesn't like male country singers because they tend to outlast/beat out their favorites more often (Gyth/Andrew/Dexter/Rod/Jake), while female country singers usually don't outlast the others

1 minute ago, ashwinner said:

yeah, I don't like country, but found that Jake's performance of desperado was really well done. maybe idf doesn't like male country singers because they tend to outlast/beat out their favorites more often (Gyth/Andrew/Dexter/Rod/Jake), while female country singers usually don't outlast the others

Yeah that is probably it. The general audience sets the bar extremely low for male country artists...and after awhile the same prototype of a male country singer making the finale becomes annoying. The thread should be titled differently  in my opinion cause female country artists have never been the enemy on here. 

The most interesting male country artist we have had in the last few seasons was Kirk and he couldn't sing live to save his life. 

2 hours ago, seak05 said:

Partially; I think if you were to create a favorite genre poll on idf though, country would not take the top spot (or next or next). For the purposes of this thread though, I think the percentage of responders skewed towards idfers who like country.

oh and for the record the two new Dixie chicks songs are excellent. 

You're talking about "Gaslighter" and "Julianna Calm Down"?  I don't think they are bad songs but they are far closer to Natalie's solo album songs that anything the Chicks ever released.  Hence, my earlier comment.  The Dixie Chicks are a legendary country act....we'll know more when the other 10 tracks are released....but not feeling anything country from what they've chosen for early release.  So far, that's consistent with Natalie's prior comments she would never go back to country.  Like I said, no problem with Natalie being Natalie but this.... smh

BTW:  Even for those do not prefer country music....that's a far cry from considering an entire genre your "enemy".  It's the result they, and sometime I, dislike.  

On 5/3/2020 at 1:14 AM, TeamAudra said:

^^

“Boyfriend Country”

I’m so out of the loop, I didn’t know what that meant. Personally, I think it sucks. 

Trigger goes into in depth to explain it and the negative consequences for female artists. 

https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/move-over-bro-country-boyfriend-country-is-here/

After reading that article, I can conclude that "boyfriend country" = "beta country".  One commenter said it's the music version of "chick flicks." But some chick flicks are funny. This kinda "country" is just plain boring. 

Back to the original thread topic, I'm not sure if the portion of IDF who detest country contestants are anti-country per se, or they just don't like the perceived advantage these contestants have with the voting audience.