Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

DIVERGENT

5d3cdf836b4507bc0e20154ccb4ed37b.jpg

I haven't seen any of the remaining nominated films, so I'm basing my cut and save on their ratings on Rotten Tomatoes. Divergent was the lowest with a 42% approval rating, so out it goes. I haven't seen this film or read the books, but I do have a general idea on what it's about. Apparently all the citizens are sorted into factions based on their individual characteristics. However, the main character is deemed Divergent since she has matched with more than one faction. Now let me go to Wikipedia to learn more details....So the main character is named Beatrice Prior (played by Shailene Woodley). The five factions are Abnegation, Amity, Candor, Dauntless, and Erudite. She eventually learns she is Divergent after a test, but her proctor advises her to keep it a secret since Divergents are viewed as threats since they can think independently. Beatrice (later shortening her name to Tris) chooses to be part of the Dauntless faction at the Choosing Ceremony. She then goes into training, meets her love interest Four, and learns of a dangerous plot. The faction Erudite plans to use mind control on the Dauntless to overthrow Abnegation. But due to Tris's Divergence, she is able to put a stop to this. I don't know if this is a movie I would like or not, but Rotten Tomatoes says "With an adherence to YA formula that undercuts its individualistic message, Divergent opens its planned trilogy in disappointingly predictable fashion." Sorry to fans of the books and movies, but out goes Divergent from the rankdown.

And I'll save Star Trek Beyond since it has an 86% Rotten Tomatoes approval rating.

source.gif

Cloud Atlas

Cloud_Atlas_Poster.jpg

giphy.gif

Cloud Atlas is a 2012 epic science fiction film directed by the Wachowskis and Tom Tywker. The film is based on the 2004 novel of the same name. The movie deals with six different plots that occur in six different eras in time. 

The first story takes place in the Pacific Islands in 1849, where Jim Sturgess plays the main character.

The second story tales place in Cambridge and Edinburgh in 1936, where Ben Whishaw plays the main character.

The third story takes place in San Francisco in 1973, where Halle Berry plays the main character. 

The fourth story takes place in London in 2012, where Jim Broadbent plays the main character.

The fifth story takes place in Neo Soul in 2144, where Doona Bae plays the main character.

The sixth and final story takes place in Big Isle in 2321, where Tom Hanks plays the main character.

A fun fact is that most of the actors appear in all the other stories but with different roles. 

The movie proved to be polarizing among critics with some loving it and some hating it and the film appeared in Best Films and Worst Films lists from that year. The movie was a bomb office failing to earn back the total budget.

I've never watched this film and giving that its length is over 3 hours I know that I will never watch it despite loving some of the casts like Ben Whishaw, Tom Hanks and Halle Berry.

Saving: The Purge Election Year

tumblr_o2ofzqTJA71tc8r6ho1_400.gifv

My rankings:

1. Empire strikes back

2. A new hope

3. The force awakens

4. The last Jedi

5. Rogue One

6. Return of the Jedi

7. Solo

8. Revenge of the Sith

9. The Phantom Menace

10. Attack of the clones

I haven't wachted the last one so I cannot comment on it

1. Ad Astra
  2. All is Lost
  3. Cinderella
  4. Edge of Tomorrow
  5. Hanna
  6. Iron Man 2
  7. Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol
  8. Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation
  9. Rango
  10. Ready Player One
  11. Shaun the Sheep Movie
  12. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows
  13. Snow White and the Huntsman
  14. Soul Surfer
  15. The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
  16. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
  17. Thor
  18. Tomb Raider

Cinderella

Cinderella GIF

I am damn near asleep, but noticed that Elliott posted so I dragged my ass in here to see four great films nominated and Soul Surfer saved again. For no good reason. I also do not know how Cinderella is considered an adventure film, but sure. Let’s go with that. This is the movie that kick-started the live action adaptation hell that we are now living in, so this film should have been eliminated long ago. Disastrous. Not good. Not needed. This will be made pretty with details and stuff in the morning, but I had to get in here to do what I could. Cinderella needs to adventure herself out of the Rankdown. 

SAVING: Hanna 

IRON MAN 2

latest?cb=20120702233904

Iron Man 2 is one of my least favorite MCU films, so that's why I've chosen to cut it. If I were to rank all the MCU films, Iron Man 2 would be near the bottom of that list. In this sequel, Tony Stark (also known as Iron Man) faces off against Whiplash (played by Mickey Rourke), whom has a vendetta against him. Tony is also under pressure to hand over the technology used to build the Iron Man suit to the government. Black Widow makes her first appearance in this film too. This film was a financial success and got decent reviews from the critics. Although not as fun as the first Iron Man movie, it was still deemed a solid, action-packed entry in the franchise. Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 73% approval rating, but I personally didn’t like it very much. I thought the villain wasn’t interesting enough, and Iron Man has never been one of my favorite Avengers anyway. Sorry to any fans, but out goes Iron Man 2 from the rankdown.

And I’m saving Soul Surfer.

AgreeableDistantBedbug-max-1mb.gif

Edited by Steven_

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

Sherlock_Holmes2Poster.jpg

giphy.gif

I believe I saw through the first Sherlock Homes movie and had good nap in between which is never a good sing for the movie itself and I also guess that's the reason why I don't remember anything about the first film nor did I wanted to watch the sequel released on 2011, but I guess I will finally see what it was about. 

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows is 2011 period action mystery film (no adventure, but IDC tbh) and it is a sequel to the 2019 film Sherlock Holmes. As you may guess the movie revolves around the famous detective Sherlock Holmes that plenty of us known because of his famous detective novels. Robert Downey Jr. plays Sherlock Holmes and Jude Law plays Dr. John Watson. I don't think any Sherlock Holmes is necessary unless you finally make  a version with Holmes and Watson as lovers. I might watch that. During the movie, Holmes and Watson travel through Europe with a Romani adventuress to stop some evil plan by Holmes archenemy, Professor Moriarty.  The cast also included Jared Harris and Noomi Rapace and I love them very much so I wish they would have been the main characters instead. The movie was a financial success with $550 M made in the box office but the reviews were mixed. A sequel has been in development since 2011 and it is supposed to debut next year.

Saving Mission Imposible Rogue Nation

source.gif

Snow White and the Huntsman

TBA

I woke up from my sleep to browse in IDF because that’s what I’m programmed to do only to find nominations posted. Nominations posted in the dead of the.m night? Is that how we’re going to do this now? 🙂 I was tempted to save Ghost Protocol but I have more faith that will be saved rather than Ready Player One. I’m going to update this later but Snow White and the Huntsman is a film. An adventure one. Released during the 2010 through 2019 period. It may be the original or the sequel. I’m too lazy to check. It may star Charlize, Chris and Kristen. It may not. Again, I’m too lazy to check. I’ll make this look better in the morning or when Cinderella turns into an adventure film. 

Save: Ready Player One

• Thanks 1