RuPaul’s Drag Race - General Discussion Thread

Elliott

15 minutes ago, *Wallace said:

Waiting on what? 🙂 I did finish Season 2 but I'll post those thoughts a little later. :haha: 

I hope your fav is Tyra so I can see the meltdown from everybody else :haha:

Edited by .Rei

Season 2 Thoughts.

Jessica Wild: Not sure of people’s thoughts on Jessica but I really liked her a lot. I found her to be fun, hilarious and endearing. Especially loved her playing the chicken in that acting challenge and she did great on the Rockstar episode. Ooh and her RuPaul impersonation was amazing. :dead: She was pretty low/non-existant on any drama and everyone loved her, and those are usually the types I love. :haha: Ugh I was sad she left at 6th as I was hoping she’d go further.

Jujubee: Jujubee was definitely amongst my favorite personalities on the season. I found Jujubee to have a great mix of comedic humor and emotional depth and was easy to root for to do well. I liked that she was honest in a respectable likable way too. It’s a shame she never won any of the main challenges and had to be in the lip sync battles 3 times. Although I low-key loved that because she nailed and always connected emotionally to the songs she performed. Felt sad for her on that live singing challenge because there was so much hype and she flopped here. :(  Jujubee was my fave of the Top 3 but I can agree with her placing 3rd overall, as the other two did stronger overall. But I did always root for her and love how she was one  to keep the peace amongst the groups. So yeah love her regardless.

Morgan McMichaels: I felt that Morgan & Raven were like the mean girls/guys clique and I was not a fan of that friendship unlike the short-lived Sahara/Shangela. Morgan did well at times but was meh/didn’t do well other times. Plus Morgan’s comments on Mystique regarding making fat jokes about and fat shaming her was so rude.

Mystique: I liked Mystique’s attitude and personality. Found her to be fun although she particularly wasn’t good in the challenges. Her ~country outfit~ was not country at all…. not sure what that was about. I’m no stylist or fashion person but even I could see that. :dead: I do most remember how she did all of those jump into the air splits which always got a big reaction. :haha: Felt bad for her when some of the girls were making fat jokes at her expense. 

Nicole Paige Brooks: Only lasted 2 episodes but barely remember her. I just remembered she had this really long name. Oooh and Nicole was the other father of the competition. Didn’t really remember or care for her.

Pandora Boxxx: I found Pandora Boxx hilarious and to be a lot of fun. Loved her personality and found her likable and hilarious. I do feel bad for her being the “Susan Lucci” of the competition because she did well a lot of times but was never really the best or outstanding in most things. I did feel bad when the judges commented on her style being bland although I could get that. :ph34rwave: She did excel on comedic type challenges. I was happy for her getting Miss Congeniality honor, even though Jujubee and Jessica Wild would have been great honors too.

Raven: Gosh I was super conflicted on Raven. Lol I think Morgan leaving early was the best thing for her (and for me for her lol). I actually couldn’t stand Raven at the start. Thought she had a bad “You suck! I’m better than you” attitude. I was wanting her to go when she landed in the Bottom 2 lip sync offs. But yeah after Morgan left or around that time, Raven did greatly improve in various challenges and won a ew of them. She was opinionated and sometimes i found her comments hilarious and other times they were annoying and not needed. Like she annoyed me with her constant hate/putting down comments towards Tatianna, but was able to amuse me other times unlike Shannel. Still she improved a lot and grew on me and was good for 2nd place. I am sure others like her far more than me.

Shangela: i found Shangela to be a lot of fun and was so sad she was the first boot. I have heard about Shangela, so I know she makes a big impact on future seasons. Looking forward to those. But in the one episode she was in, I still liked her more than a good 5 or 6 of them. :haha:

Sahara: Sahara overall wasn’t too memorable to me - but I did like her well enough. What I remember most about Sahara is that she was college friends with Shangela and was a really great trained dancer. I always enjoyed her dancing in the lip syncs.

Sonique: Another one that wasn’t too memorable for me. I liked her look sometimes and think i remember her doing well on the Burlesque group challenge. But then she came off kinda mean and moody at times. And in most challenges, she was just there. There was an emotional moment with her coming out as a transwoman, so big props to her for that. :yes:

Tatianna: Tatianna was certainly a big character and seemed loved/hate. I felt she was kinda like the Rebecca of the season where a lot of the drag queens didn’t like her/felt she shouldn’t be there and seemed like was a lone wolf. So far into 2 seasons, this has me rooting for these types. :haha: LOL Her Britney on the Snatch Game challenge was amazing. She did have a naturally beauty look to her, which seemed to put others an would work against her sometimes. She maybe wasn’t one of the strongest or most consistent but I always rooted for her. I was always on her side with Raven vs. Tatianna rivalry though.

Tyra Sanchez: Lol ohh Tyra. :giggle: Wow I felt like I went on a major roller coaster journey with her. I would always go from really liking her to being annoyed with her an that went on through the whole season. I can’t remember the specific episodes but there were some that she really annoyed me, like the high pitched bad singing. She also didn’t connect with the girls and didn’t seem like a team player in group challenge. And her Beyonce in Snatch Game was not good….. but I did love her Bey fandom. Even though LOL she was ridiculous about it like saying “Beyonce is like me”….. :wacko:  But yeah she would nail some challenges, and loved her runway looks + walks. She came across super model-esque and loved the ones where she would transform into 2-3 outfits. Her winning moment was one of the craziest and scariest things i ever saw - with her hyperventilating on the ground. I was happy for her winning esp. over Raven. I did love the parts where he would get vulnerable and talk about his love for his son though - that would make me root and warm to Tyra. Ugh I feel I should and could have loved her more and she could have been my #1 fave but the annoying moments drop her down some spots.

Rankings:

1. Jujubee
  2. Tatianna
  3. Jessica Wild
  4. Tyra Sanchez
  5. Pandora Boxxx
  6. Raven
  7. Shangela
  8. Sahara Davenport
  9. Mystique 
  10. Sonique
  11. Morgan McMichals
  12. Nicole Paige Brooks

Feel like these are easier to rank. I would class the Top 5 as my faves. 2-3 could be interchangeable but i found myself rooting for Tatianna a bit more. 6-8 are interchangeable - went with putting Raven highest as she was the most impressive of the 3. Although if Shangela lasted longer, she’d be higher.

1 hour ago, .Rei said:

I hope your fav is Tyra so I can see the meltdown from everybody else :haha:

I’d hope Wally has better taste than to have his favourite be the queen who threatens to blow up DragCon. 😘 

2 minutes ago, Elliott said:

I’d hope Wally has better taste than to have his favourite be the queen who threatens to blow up DragCon. 😘 

I have no idea what this is about. 

1 minute ago, Elliott said:

Flawless Top 2. ❤️

Yayy thank you!! 😄❤️ 

But then she came off kinda mean and moody at times

@*Wallace The reason Sonique came across this way was because she was actually beginning hormone replacement therapy for her transition and because of Drag race’s rules, she had to stop to compete on the show. So it affected her hormonal balance really terribly. Unfortunately, Drag Race has some terrible requirements regarding transgender contestants.

1 minute ago, *Wallace said:

I have no idea what this is about. 

There’s a convention in LA every year called DragCon, that’s basically a convention for RPDR alumni and associated queens to meet fans and do shows. One year, Tyra was threatening to blow the convention up with a bomb, which is why the show no longer associates with her.

She also did a KickStarter for a documentary about her life as a single father, only to cancel production right after she raised the amount she did and refuse to refund any of the money.

There’s been a lot of problematic stuff she’s done post-DR. Early on, a lot of it was excused because she did receive a lot of racist hate from the fanbase for winning over Raven/Jujubee and it was mostly just feuds with her cast members because most of them weren’t friends with her. But a lot of her recent actions have been very #yikes.

2 minutes ago, Elliott said:

There’s a convention in LA every year called DragCon, that’s basically a convention for RPDR alumni and associated queens to meet fans and do shows. One year, Tyra was threatening to blow the convention up with a bomb, which is why the show no longer associates with her.

She also did a KickStarter for a documentary about her life as a single father, only to cancel production right after she raised the amount she did and refuse to refund any of the money.

There’s been a lot of problematic stuff she’s done post-DR. Early on, a lot of it was excused because she did receive a lot of racist hate from the fanbase for winning over Raven/Jujubee and it was mostly just feuds with her cast members because most of them weren’t friends with her. But a lot of her recent actions have been very #yikes.

Okay I stop stanning her then 😕

1 minute ago, *Lily said:

I liked Tyra on the show. But outside of the show she's unfortunately done too many things where I wouldn't find myself supporting her. 

I didn’t really care for her much in S2 just because i was already rooting for Raven/Juju/Tatianna/Pandora/Morgan/Sahara/Shangela and that was enough already, but I probably would’ve kept her around until the rocker chicks challenge. Then Jujubee’s drunk lip sync to Black Velvet would’ve eliminated her. ❤️

(I also think Tyra’s track record looks better than it otherwise would’ve been had she not had immunity on the weeks that she was bad, so the whole “Raven didn’t deserve it because of her B2 appearances” argument never made sense to me.)

That said, I’ve enjoyed the All Star appearances from everyone that’s returned except Pandora so I guess at the end of the day, Tyra being the winner was the necessary catalyst for that.

On 6/9/2020 at 2:58 PM, Elliott said:

@*Wallace Here's a list of who I think you'll like (in alphabetical order to prevent spoilers) from Drag Race once @~Tom~ sends you the seasons to watch online:

S1: A'kashia, Bebe, Jade, Nina, Ongina, Rebecca unfortunately

S2: Mystique, Jessica, Jujubee, Raven, Sahara, Shangela, Tatianna, Tyra unfortunately

thats so raven GIF

18 minutes ago, Elliott said:

@*Wallace The reason Sonique came across this way was because she was actually beginning hormone replacement therapy for her transition and because of Drag race’s rules, she had to stop to compete on the show. So it affected her hormonal balance really terribly. Unfortunately, Drag Race has some terrible requirements regarding transgender contestants.

Oooh ahhh wow I had no idea about this. This makes a lot of sense with Sonique. Didn't know she had to stop the hormone treatment. And yeah I am curious how they allow trans people apply and compete on the show. I would guess trans men could compete but transwomen can not - once they fully become that gender? :unsure: 

16 minutes ago, .Rei said:

Outside your number 2 your have pretty good taste :wub:

Thanks Rei! :hug::haha: 

14 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Oooh goodness, wow. This is a whole lot of #yikes and craziness. :fear:  Sad to hear all of this. I'll just separate my shows thoughts and outside-of-show thoughts as usual.

10 minutes ago, Elliott said:

I didn’t really care for her much in S2 just because i was already rooting for Raven/Juju/Tatianna/Pandora/Morgan/Sahara/Shangela and that was enough already, but I probably would’ve kept her around until the rocker chicks challenge. Then Jujubee’s drunk lip sync to Black Velvet would’ve eliminated her. ❤️

confused britney spears GIF