Video Game Rankdown Pt. 2

Deeee

BTW:

Resident Evil 3 Remake is super solid. Really short, but great.

Final Fantasy VII Remake is gorgeous and I am really enjoying it so far. 

Persona 5 Royal is definitely different than the original edition. 

Animal Crossing is stressing me out. LOL.

8. Mortal Kombat (multi-platform; 2011)

tumblr_olruk5qZo61s9hwyio2_500.gifv

source.gif

tumblr_ptnbbzbn8y1s9hwyio1_500.gifv

Mortal Kombat 9 is incredible! Definitely one of my favorite games of all-time, so I have no qualms about this extremely high ranking. Though I might pick a different entry in the series to represent the franchise as a whole, Mortal Kombat 9 successfully re-invented the series after the disappointment of the three/four previous release titles. Ed Boon and the developers at NetherRealm Studios decided to retcon the earliest period in the Mortal Kombat series and essentially wipe the previous games from our memory/from the timeline of the series. Already off to a good start. MK9 decides to re-tell an altered version of the events from Mortal Kombat I - Mortal Kombat III - AKA the best period of the franchise. This means that MK9 would do away with the pointless, uninteresting characters that had been introduced in the most recent titles and instead focus on the legends, the iconic characters that the true MK fans know and love. Even more exciting is that Ed Boon + developers decided to individualize every single character this time around. No palette swaps. No shared moves or mechanics. Every character would be fleshed out, given unique movesets, fatalities, costuming, characterization, victory poses, etc. Awesome decision.

The game features the most iconic roster in MK history: Liu Kang, Raiden, Kitana, Sonya Blade, Mileena, Kung Lao, Stryker, Jax, Johnny Cage, Kabal, Shang Tsung, Sub-Zero, Scorpion, Jade, Sindel, Sheeva, Quan Chi, Reptile, Nightwolf, Smoke, Sektor, Cyrax, Kano, Ermac, and Baraka. Cyber Sub-Zero is also introduced as a playable character. Kratos from the God of War series is introduced as a guest character. Four DLC characters were introduced as well - Rain, Kenshi, Skarlet, and Freddy Krueger. ICONIC DLC. Goro, Kintaro, and Shao Kahn are all non-playable boss characters. All of the best MK characters are present for this epic return-to-form game.

Another very smart decision was made by Ed Boon + developers - transitioning back to the 2.5D fighting style of the older era and away from the 3D fighting style of the new era. Characters were rendered in 3D though, and this combination added depth and range to the gameplay. This meant far more detail would be present during the fights, in the stages, in the characters, etc. and that is just what this new MK in the more modern era of gaming needed to be successful. Coupled with the fact that Ed Boon decided to return the MK series to its very gory roots...chef's kiss. The stages are super well-done, full of detail, interactive, dynamic, and bring a unique factor into every single fight. Chef's kiss again.

The smartest addition though...the absolutely amazing and very cinematic story mode. There is so much fun and classic MK storytelling to be found in the story mode. You play nearly all of the different characters on the roster through the action-packed, shockingly well voice-acted, adventurous, and deep story. The way the characters interact, the quick time events, everything about the story mode is complete fan service. And I love fan service. The story mode feels like a movie adaptation of the first three games, which is something I really love. This added story mode became a staple feature of the revamped series, featured in both MKX and MK11.

One of my favorite introductions to the series was also made in MK9. X-Ray Moves. Flawless introduction that really heightens the cinematic factor of this game and really heightens the bone-crushing and gory nature of the game.

Upon release, MK9 received critical acclaim and was cited as a must-own game for the 2011 year. Most consider MK9 the best in the series and a perfect step-up for the franchise. The game is full of content, over-the-top, bloody, nostalgic yet modern, ultra violent, and runs on one of the best gaming engines. What more could a video game fan ask for? Critics and fans praised the deep and rich story mode, and though corny at times, one of the finest story modes to ever be featured in a fighting game. The story mode really is super addicting! Most critics praised MK9 for setting a new standard in fighting video games, even claiming it to be the best modern fighting game. MK9 sold three million copies within 5 months, which is super impressive.

A commercial success. A critically acclaimed masterpiece. One of the best fighting games available to fans. A truly solid piece of video gaming and one of the most fun and nostalgic experiences one can ever have. MK9 is incredible!

On 4/7/2020 at 5:12 PM, ~Tom~ said:

So, Mortal Kombat. Another game that I've played from time to time in arcades but have never actually owned a copy or anything. Always been fun to play and fast paced when I played the arcade version. Mortal Kombat 9 I have never played. Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment published it and NetherRealm Studios developed it. Selling two million copies, it was well-received I presume pretty popular, but not up to the iconic originals. Shoutout to the best/most well received game in the series, Mortal Kombat III/Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3/Mortal Kombat Trilogy, that I cut after it had been cut a couple times already, I guess people feel that one should have made the finals but I'm sure this one isn't bad. It involves Raiden trying to stop the Armageddon.

20 hours ago, 1234567890 said:

MORTAL KOMBAT (2011)

giphy.gif

The only reason I dragged this game as far as I could was because Freddy Krueger was in it and Freddy is an icon. Everything he is must be celebrated. Did Mortal Kombat (2011) aka Mortal Kombat 9 deserve to make it this far? No. Honestly, Street Fighter 2 was far more superior and should have been here instead. But, you guys stay having questionable taste so I am not surprised at all. The lack of arcade and fighting game knowledge in this rankdown is embarrassing. Every game left his from Nintendo. Like put down your Gameboy, Switch. 64 or SNES for one second and realize that other games exist. I love Nintendo too, but damn. Mortal Kombat 9 isn't even the best in the franchise. I would have had MK1, MK2 or MKIII instead but again, questionable taste and limited knowledge. Mortal Kombat 9 is a fighting game that was released in 2011. It's from the Mortal Kombat series and is the 9th main installment entry. It was released on the PS3, Xbox 360 and PS Vita and PC by NetherRealm Studios and distributed by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. The game was praised upon released and is banned in Australia due to it's violence. MK does have a reputation to protect. The game sold amazing well and spawned two sequels in MKX and MK11. It's a fun game to pick and play and just have some fun with some friends. Good title, but too high even in my opinion. Mortal Kombat is a legendary series to I'm glad it was at least represented in this unlike Halo which was did dirty. Sorry it wasn't on Nintendo? :dead:

7. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch; 2018)

tumblr_pa7zt4qVKc1qc9dlro7_500.gifv

tumblr_phivc0Ud0Q1rv6iido2_500.gifv

-6ugs9.gif

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is my favorite game of all-time. The love I have for this game is massive and hugely personal. My little brother is my best friend in the world and I essentially raised him due to a complicated home life. He struggles with mental illness and developmental issues and finds his passion in video games. Video games are the shared bond between us, and Super Smash Bros. as a series has always been our favorite video game series. 

Of course the excitement over the surprise announcement of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate was immense for us both! The epic reveal of SSBU was such a badass moment for us both. The introduction of the Inklings to the series was an exciting one for us both, but who knew the INSANE hype train that SSBU would take us on after that moment. A hype train that is still in motion to this very day. The rumors started to run rampant, discords and forums took off, and SSBU opened up the floodgate of Smash speculation once again. For those of you that do not know, Smash speculation is the most intense in the video gaming world. Easily. Smash speculation + Smash fandom can also be very toxic, but it's a fun world to live in honestly. 

None of us knew what was in store in the early days of speculation. LOL. My brother and I decided to buy tickets to E3 2018, which would heavily focus on SSBU. That would be our first experience at E3 together, which was an awesome three days! Most exciting was that we were able to register early enough in order to play the game early in a tournament being held at E3! Even more exciting was the massive SSBU display at the convention! Even more exciting was that we were at E3 when the historic "EVERYONE IS HERE" reveal was made! UGH. Every single character ever featured in the Smash series...in one game! Including the third party legends! All of the music that would be featured in the game! Over 100 stages! World of Light single-player campaign mode!

Then the reveal of iconic additions to the roster! Ridley. King K. Rool. Simon Belmont. Richter Belmont. Isabelle. Ken Masters. Inklings. The return of Snake and Ice Climbers! UGH. The best crossover roster in the history of video gaming. A roster that has now expanded to 82 characters. Including the iconic addition of Hero protagonists from Dragon Quest, Banjo-Kazooie, Joker from Persona 5, Terry Bogard from Final Fight/King of Fighters! Piranha Plant as the one random, weird, yet awesome addition that really captures the spirit of video gaming. All of the epic reveal trailers!

The game is beautiful. The game is perfect. The amount of content is seemingly infinite. This is a game that Sakurai has tirelessly and endlessly worked on for five years at this point, and is still developing, refining, and adding to an already perfect game. The highest-selling fighting game ever made by the way. 17.68 million copies.

Classic Mode. Endless options for Special Smash Mode. Smashdown Mode. Squad Strike Mode. Home Run Contest Mode. Stage Builder Mode. Multiple modes of online play - Quick Play, Co-Op Online, Tournament Style Online, Spectating, etc. There is no end in sight with SSBU, and that is because Sakurai and the developers over at Bandai Namco + Sora Ltd. have gifted video gaming fans with the most content ever featured in a single video game.

Never have I been so actively invested in the development of a game, in the unveiling of a game's new features, in the discussion of the possibilities for the game moving forward and the series future, in the constant character speculation. All alongside my little brother. SSBU has been a special experience, not just a video game. 

SSBU is the biggest love letter to video gaming. The culmination of an adoration and respect for all of what video gaming has delivered since the inception of the media. SSBU pays homage to every genre, every character, and does not miss an opportunity to recognize every wonderful aspect of video gaming - the music, the staging, the development, the mechanics. SSBU is a triumph of epic proportions that continues to surprise, shock, and love its fans. The most epic video game of all-time. The best fighting game of all-time. And easily one of the best video games of all-time. I can endlessly talk about SSBU, but I'll stop myself. Seventh place is awesome.

On 4/9/2020 at 2:52 PM, totes4totes said:

tumblr_phj14al3eN1u6ojdfo1_500.gifv

This may be controversial, but Super Smash Bros. is the most accessible fighting series of all time and though it's younger than some iconic franchises (such as Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter) it's easily one of the top fighting franchises of all time and SSBU is the best in the series. 

6zSkNA.gif

What makes SSBU so good? Well it takes what has always made Super Smash Bros has been so good at and enhances nearly everything. SSB I think has a low floor for understanding controls (movements, powers, etc) and a high ceiling for mastering them. And there are just so many fighters that you could be good at one and total garbage at another. So there's a lot of time that can be spent in the game. With the echo fighters and Pokemon Trainer's three Pokemon, I think there are 82 or 83 different fighters (I'm sure Dee has the exact number) and while there are some common movesets and movement types (all the sword lords from Fire Emblem por ejemplo) there are still a stunning amount of unique fighting types. And pretty much everybody has a favorite in there. Like me whose favorite is every single sword lord from Fire Emblem. LOL. (Actually, my favorite is SAMUS). 

sddefault.jpg#404_is_fine

Masahiro Sakurai is a genius and probably needs to like sleep more, eat more, and drink more water because he's literally been hospitalized from exhaustion from working on this game. But every amount of that passion shows. Also he can play the game with one hand and two controllers. Incredible. I can barely play the game with two hands and one joy-con. If any of you played me you would kick my ass guaranteed. Also aside from Smash, Sakurai is best known for directing 6 Kirby games and Kid Icarus: Uprising. Crazy! 6 Kirbys to 5 Smash games. 

MindlessMajorBronco-size_restricted.gif

Even though I suck at the game I still have a lot of fun playing through the modes. And I really feel that if I put my quarantine hours to mastering at least one character I'd be really good. But alas, I'm really working on my chaotic Animal Crossing island that has no rhyme or reason to why I put things anywhere which I'm sure would SHAME the Animal Crossing Devotees. But it's a game that always gets pulled out at the Switch parties I go to (because between the four of us with Switches we have enough controllers so nobody has to play with a Joy-Con) and you know what? Even though I suck I'm better than all the people who don't own Switches. So small victories and I will take them. 

Anyway, I'm glad Smash made it this far. 

21 hours ago, 1234567890 said:

SUPER SMASH BROS. ULTIMATE

giphy.gif

This game was robbed of the finals because some of you like to suck the fun out of everything? Like, I don't get it. This game is so easy to pick and play with friends. Maybe you all don't have friends to play this game with and I guess I understand you predicament? But, if you had friends then you would love this game. TRY IT. GET A FRIEND. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is the fifth and best installment in the Super Smash Bros. series. Some might prefer the original and I get it. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug. I've been guilty of it too. This game excels in every way. It's the ultimate crossover game. It's like the MCU of video games. Almost every single popular video game character is in this game so there is something for everyone.  It's technically a fighting game. It was released in 2018 and it was developed by Bandai Namco Studios and Sora Ltd.and published by Nintendo for the Nintendo Switch. The game has received universal praise and acclaim from critics and fans alike. The way the roster keeps building is astonishing. And it's not over yet. Within 11 days of its release, Ultimate had sold more than three million copies within the United States, making it the fastest-selling Switch game in the country. That is impressive and it set similar records in Japan and the United Kingdom. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate has sold over 17.68 million copies worldwide. It was the best selling video game product of 2018 according to Amazon. It's one a multitude of awards and for was the main reason for people picking up the Switch in in the first place. An amazing game and one that people turned on just because the host loved it. That's sad, huh?

1 minute ago, FrogLenzen said:

"EVERYONE IS HERE" presentation ending with Ridley reveal is the greatest preview for a video game of all time and I can't fathom that it will be topped ever.

THANK YOU. 

Easily the greatest preview ever.