Video Game Rankdown Pt. 2

Deeee

16. Mass Effect 2 (multi-platform; 2010)

source.gif

giphy.gif

source.gif

Super happy to see Mass Effect 2 in the finals of this game. Truly one of the best games of all-time and easily the best in the series. Not hard to accomplish when the third game was such a disappointment. LOL. Anyways. The sequel focuses on the Milky Way Galaxy in the 22nd Century, with the human race in jeopardy of extinction due to a suicide mission planned by the insectoid race known as The Collectors.

Definitely one of the most solid Western action RPGs ever made. As a sequel, the game improves the series by going darker, moodier, and injecting intensity into the gameplay. The sequel is played much more like a third-person shooter, but that is not why the game feels more intense. Side missions and quests were introduced that added to the story, but were also as difficult and high-stakes as the main mission objectives. This allowed for way more storytelling, world-building, and characterization. All positive improvements made to the series with this sequel.

The player assumes the role of Commander Shepard, which the player constructs at the beginning of the game. If you have a save file from Mass Effect, you are able to import your character + save file to the sequel. This impacts several of the story points, but also gives the player bonuses to start the game. It's a really neat gameplay addition. There are a lot of components to the gameplay. Using a galaxy map as the overworld, you set out on explorations to discover missions and assemble a loyal squad that will ultimately help you save the galaxy. New locations become available as the player progresses through the game, which allows the player to meet new squad members and add them to your team. Players gain experience points for completing quests. Leveling up means new powers for Shepard and the squad. Most missions are combat based, but some require meeting important characters, settling disputes, etc.

Combat is played in a squad of max three members. The player controls Shepard and the two squad members are controlled by AI. There is a heavy focus on taking cover during combat since there is finite ammo for weapons. The players have both a shield bar and health bar that will be depleted during combat. Shepard may revive fallen team members, but Shepard dying will start the game from the last save point. Basically, a pretty standard third-person action shooter.

The best part of the gameplay is easily the dialogue and morality aspect of the game. When engaging in conversation with characters, there is a dialogue menu that can be used to personalize responses. You can engage in conversations more in-depth, or try to end conversations. You can choose to be polite, hostile, or aggressive. There are even options for context-sensitive interrupt systems. Your choices will impact how characters react to Shepard, romances, your morality level, rewards for missions, etc. Super innovative gameplay mechanic. Morality is measured by Paragon (charm) and Renegade (intimidation) points. This will impact the loyalty of your squad members and your dialogue options. 

Everything about the development and production of this title feels super streamlined. There was clearly a major effort to just refine and perfect everything about the game engine, add in a ton of new content, and focus on storytelling and characterization. This really paid off immensely, since the title released to massive success. The game feels like a super personal experience, especially given the save data import option. There is a real sense of individuality in the gameplay, and the weight of social interaction and moral decisions on the progress of your adventure really makes the game feel important. The pressure of making personal decisions important to you is a really fun factor in this title. 

The game visuals and presentation are amazing. Voice acting is awesome. But the biggest positive is how rich the characterization and storytelling is tbh. The characters feel like real-life individuals, the stakes feel high, and you can empathize, love, or hate the characters as if they really exist. 

The game has left behind a massive legacy and is heralded today as one of the best video games ever made. There is an epic climax to the game, and nothing about he experience leading up to that point feels disappointing. In fact, the complexity of choices that lead you to the end is probably some of the best work in video gaming history. There is a clear understanding and utilization of the game engine used to create Mass Effect 2. Everything works together to make this a kick-ass experience.

10/10. Recommend to everybody. Go play it.

On 4/3/2020 at 5:58 PM, totes4totes said:

Usually I put in a gif but I'll do that later and erase this when I do that because I want to get everything in on time and I know almost certainly nobody else will. 

I was supposed to be defending a thesis in like 2 weeks and now I am delaying that until August. This means I have an entire thesis written and a presentation composed and thus nothing to do until Quarantine is over. Thanks to probably the most incapable and unqualified administration and a lack of basic universal healthcare for the US, this could last months. So in the meantime I think I may replay the Mass Effect trilogy. 

Mass Effect 2 is probably the best of the Mass Effect trilogy which is one of the best Western RPGs and just one of the best games of all time. Despite the potential for suffering due to being a middle part of a trilogy (well actually now that I think of it, many of my favorite pieces of media are middle members of a trilogy) works really well as a complete story. The basic plot points of the game are thus (from Wikipedia): "The game takes place within the Milky Way galaxy during the 22nd century, where humanity is threatened by an insectoid species known as the Collectors. The player assumes the role of Commander Shepard, an elite human soldier who must construct and gain the loyalty of a diverse team and stop the enemy in a suicide mission."

The game still has such a great reputation and lasting legacy because there's a real focus on character development and story development which gets you really invested. It's also just technically very good. It looks good, it sounds good, I mean it's not like today quality technology but the game still looks very good today. 

If you've not played the Mass Effect trilogy I would urge you to do so. They are really great games. Honestly just play some more Western RPGs, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, etc. They are all quite good.

On 4/5/2020 at 12:57 PM, NGM said:

I decided that I’m barely gonna try with these write ups so 100 words max. It’s an action RPG developed by BioWare, released originally for MS and XB360, and later for the PS3. It was the second installment on the Mass Effect trilogy, and once again you take on the role of Commander Shepard. You can use your save file from MS1 so that your choices there transfer to this game (the game puts a lot of focus into interactive storytelling). It got critical acclaim on its release and is (IMO) the best game in the franchise. Glad that it got this far.

Edited by Deeee

15. Portal (multi-platform; 2007)

source.gif

giphy.gif

tumblr_ot1kwgw62U1rsgrsso1_500.gifv

A game that I would have happily seen win this entire Rankdown. What an amazing gaming experience.

One word: GLaDOS

Maybe not the most iconic, but easily the greatest video game antagonist of all-time.

Without a doubt, one of the greatest video games of all-time. A simple puzzle platformer that puts you in the role of Chell, who is being taunted and and challenged by GLaDOS to complete every puzzle in the Aperture Science Enrichment Center using only the Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device given to her. GLaDOS promises Chell some cake if she completes all of the puzzles. LOL. Through the use of portals that retain kinetic energy when passed through, Chell must navigate through the treacherous science center. You perform some crazy ass physics to make it through the game. :dead:

I do not want to give away too much of the gameplay and plot in the hopes that those of you unfamiliar with the game dive in ASAP. I promise you it is one of the most unique, original, and satisfying gaming experiences that is out there. 

The game received massive critical acclaim upon release. Ellen McLain received a ton of praise for her performance as GLaDOS. AS SHE SHOULD. Portal is a short experience, but is absolutely exhilarating. Critics cite the exhilaration, dark humor, unique gameplay, and large amounts of quotable moments as the reasons why Portal is one of the greatest games of all-time. The game received a ton of awards and became massive cult classic, spawning a sequel that is equally as incredible. 

EVERYBODY GO PLAY PORTAL. 

On 4/4/2020 at 1:07 PM, Solaris said:

This game is amazing. Its a puzzle game that involves you using two different portals to manuever your and objects aroun the stage. The gist of it is what you throw in one of your portals comes out the other. So you have to shoot your portal from your portal gun into different surfaces. If you are looking for a great puzzle game, this gives you a unique experience. I am surprised it came this far. Between myself and Nico we dragged it to the Top 16. Very proud ❤️

Portal was created by Valve and released in 2007 on the playstation, xbox and PC. It is absolutely one of the best games of all time. Valve eventually released a sequel, and you can multiplayer that one!

It’s a puzzle-platform game created by Valve, and features what it’s personally my favourite villain in videogames, GLaDOS. You move through puzzles that you have to solve by teleporting stuff (or yourself). The game itself is pretty short, but it makes up for it thanks to interesting gameplay, and fantastic dialogue (GLaDOS pretty much carries this game, idk what else to say, like your character is silent, so GLaDOS gets the bulk of the attention imo). GLaDOS is a computer AI that monitors and taunts the player, and is open about being a liar and drags you for filth. What else can I ask for?

14. Spyro: Year of the Dragon (PS1; 2000)

NimbleJollyAmazondolphin-size_restricted

tumblr_p7kav2QzTu1un7uhro3_500.gifv

tumblr_nnpa6ufuzP1rlcmafo1_r1_500.gif

Year of the Dragon is my least favorite title of the original Spyro trilogy. Still a really fun game, but just not as magical as the second game, or as memorable as the first. The game follows Spyro as he travels across the 37 different Forgotten Worlds in search of the 150 magical dragon eggs stolen by the evil sorceress, Bianca. 

There is a hub world in the game that Spyro uses to travel to the different worlds. In order to reach the next hub, you need to complete five worlds, defeat a boss, and gather a certain number of eggs. There is no way to capture every egg on the first play through of a world, so you often have to return to past worlds if you would like to collect all the little babies. 

My least favorite aspect of this game is stupid f*cking Moneybags. He is a character that you essentially have to pay to unlock needed items in levels, or to clear certain paths, etc. You also need to pay Moneybags in order to unlock the critters that you can play as in certain worlds. There are so many times at which you need to pay Moneybags, it becomes infuriating. LOL. There are seven newly introduced playable characters that come in handy at certain points of the game.

The game is definitely super solid and a good time. Easily one of the best titles released for the PS1. The graphics were significantly improved upon between the release of Ripto's Rage  and this title. Controls were improved and the level designs were definitely top notch. My big complaint: there is no huge improvement or innovation in the gameplay whatsoever. There is nothing special about playing this title that you cannot get from playing the first two, which also have far more interesting storylines. I love this game, but the sequel is a far better representative of the series.

I have only played a little bit of this game. See Toms infinitely better write up.

On 4/5/2020 at 9:07 AM, ~Tom~ said:

Spyro: Year of the Dragon takes place in the year of the dragon festival where the dragon eggs are hatched, but when they are all stolen, Spyro follows the thief into the other side of the Dragon Realms, the Forgotten Worlds, and there the adventure beigns. The gameplay is pretty similar to its predecessor, Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage, with the mini games to get the dragon eggs pretty similar to the orb challenges. One difference is that Spyro goes through dark portals to the get to the mini games, and they are noticeably harder than in 2. Another feature is that you can play as a different character in one level in each of the four hub lands, called Sheila the Kangaroo, Sgt. Byrd, Bentley the Yeti, and Agent 9 the space monkey respectively. This makes the gameplay a little more varied but what brings the game down a bit for me is a bug in one of the speedway levels (where Spyro flies through rings and flames various objects) where potentially you can never get a dragon egg if you do it a certain way. Still a solid entry in the finals even if Spyro 2 deserved. 

13. Kingdom Hearts II (PS2; 2005)

tumblr_n141qsYC2T1s3l5dvo1_500.gif

source.gif

source.gif

Kingdom Hearts II is the best title in the franchise. Easily. The game picks up a year after the events of Chain of Memories, as Sora searches for his friends and battles Organization XIII.

The game plays very similar to its predecessors, combining action RPG elements and hack-and-slash combat. There is a linear progression of the story that is told via cutscenes. The new gameplay mechanic introduced in this title is the Drive Gauge, which allows for Sora to either transform into Drive Form or to summon a special character to aid him in battle. New worlds are introduced in this sequel based on the following Disney franchises: Mulan, Beauty and the Beast, Steamboat Willie, The Lion King, Tron, and The Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl. Old worlds also reappear and are expanded upon in the sequel. The developers also really listened to fan feedback and improved upon some of the controls and the camera in this sequel, which is much appreciated.

The game released to a lot of acclaim and commercial success. Many noted the game's camera and control mechanic improvements. The story and voice acting were given the most praise, and for good reason. 

These games are super convoluted for no real reason, so I will not write too much for this one. But it's easily the best KH game in my opinion, and the one I have the fondest memories of playing. I also agree with Tom, I loved Space Paranoids (Tron world).

I have never even played Kingdom Hearts 2 (only the first one). See Toms write up.

Another one of my very favorite games, I'm glad Steven did a lot of the work protecting this so I didn't have to as much. From the moment I first heard "Sanctuary" I knew I was going to love it and nothing changed. One of my favorite days of high school spring break on senior year was playing it all day and then turning in to American Idol 5 Big Band night, one of my favorite nights of Idol. 

Kingdom Hearts 2 again features Sora, Donald and Goofy as the main trio, and introduces the concept of Nobodies: strong-willed beings who have lost their heart. The gameplay is easier than the first, at times a bit too easy, but I loved some of the new worlds such as the Pride Lands and the Land of Dragons. My favorite one would probably be the World of Tron. 

I also love that it is a journey to find Riku, since I've always liked his and Sora's interactions. I'm sure Steven will write a lot more about Kingdom Hearts 2 in his write up, so ignore this and read his. I will close this write up with my favorite battle theme from Kingdom Hearts 2, Rowdy Rumble: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtOaMHTjzt0

12. Crash Bandicoot (PS1; 1996)

tumblr_mn8v5x4ohH1rvwqy9o1_400.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I love Crash Bandicoot. Because I love Crash Bandicoot, I can admit that the first game in the series has many flaws. Non-adjustable camera angles. Poor distance perception. LOL. Both of these aspects contribute to some of the most frustrating hours of video gaming I have ever played in my entire life.

That being said, I still love a lot about Crash Bandicoot. Graphics + design + animations were amazing for the time. The game is bright, colorful, full of texture, and super detailed. All of Crash Bandicoot's quirky mannerisms add so much charm and character to the game. There is so much fun to be had in the platforming of the game.

Overall, I think the original is a classic title, but the wrong entry from the series to advance to the finals. The sequels are far better and more innovative. In fact, a lot of critics complained that Crash Bandicoot did not do nearly enough to change the side-scrolling platform genre whatsoever. Still one of my favorite video game icons ever and I have so many fond memories of the OG. But I wish the third title had made the finals instead.

It’s a platform game developed by Naughty Dog (who then went on to create another favourite franchise of mine: Uncharted; as well as The Last of Us) for the PS1. To be honest, it’s not the most original game out there, but it’s a cool alternative if you got bored of playing Mario games all the time. If I had to give something to the game, it has a really defined visual style, and the 3 games for the franchise created by ND have that. The game was a huge success, being one of the best sellers of the PS1.

I think most of us are familiar with the famous Crash Bandicoot, the PlayStation's unofficial mascot for a while, and while I'm glad one of them made it in, it should have been warped. This is one is good but in leans toward the hard side at times. I don't want to give a description of the gameplay and crash's foe, Dr. Neor Cortex, so I'll discuss a hidden level of the game instead

What used to be one of my favorite things to do is discover hidden content that made it into the final versions of games, and this level, the hardest one of Crash Bandicoot if it made it in, is one of my favorite discoveries. It's like a harder version of Slippery Climb, and longer too. I can undertand why the developers didn't put it in, but then again there were several frustrating levels in the first Crash game.  

11. Ms. Pac-Man (Arcade; 1982)

RemarkableWeeFieldmouse-small.gif

InconsequentialHighlevelAndalusianhorse-

giphy.gif

The amount of work it took Victoria and Megan to bring Ms. Pac-Man to the finals is absolutely despicable. LOL. Most of you do not have a respect for the classic arcade games that paved the way for video games to even exist in today's world.

PUT SOME RESPECT ON MS. PAC-MAN'S NAME.

Smarter AI ghosts. New mazes. Two-player simultaneous play. Varied mazes. Moving fruits. Lightning power-ups. Intermission scenes.

Ms. Pac-Man is better than Pac-Man in literally every single way. Full of character. Replay value out the ass. An incredible classic and a game that certainly impacted video game history in a massive way.

On 4/3/2020 at 5:21 PM, totes4totes said:

RemarkableWeeFieldmouse-small.gif

I don't think I'm wrong when I say that Pac-Man is probably the most iconic video game in history. I mean probably the only contender for the title other than Pac-Man would be Tetris. Well Ms. Pac-Man takes everything that made Pac-Man iconic and legendary and improved upon it. So what are these improvements: well a female titular character, more random movements for the ghosts, more warps on the sides of the map, moving fruits, more mazes, and solid walls. All of these may seem simple but they either add challenge or are simply quality of life changes. It is a truly stellar game.

Ms. Pac-Man is a sequel to Pac-Man but kind of not. While Pac-Man (and Ms. Pac-Man) are currently owned by Bandai Namco, and the original Pac-Man was developed by Namco, Ms. Pac-Man was actually US developed by General Computers. They originally wanted to just make Pac-Man better but Atari was like "hold your horses you can't do that" so instead they had to go to Midway who distributed the Pac-Man game in the US and were like PLZ buy this from us. Which they did and worked with Namco to develop the titular character and game title. Since Midway went bankrupt in 2010, Ms. Pac-Man is now owned by Bandai Namco. There actually is a Pac-Man 2. It came out in 1994. It's a weird adventure game. I'd youtube it to see what I mean. It's definitely not what you think of when you think of Pac-Man. 

Ms. Pac-Man is iconic and clearly by my rankings would have made my Top 4 in this knockout style ranking of the Top 64 but all of you aside from Victoria and Dee have terrible taste. And thus it doesn't even make the Elite Eight.  A SHAME. 

22 hours ago, 1234567890 said:

Ms. Pac-Man

giphy.gif

I only got assigned one write-up because I'm legendary. 😛 I ranked Ms. Pac-Man #1 and it still got eliminated so it's only fair I do only one write-up. Ms. Pac-Man has had a legendary rollercoaster ride in this rankdown. It was targeted for elimination many times. It was first eliminated at #714 and brought back only to jump all the way to #112 only to be eliminated again and Brough back to jump all the way to #11. It just missed out of the Top 10 but it's trajectory and journey to get here has been amazing. I don't remember who eliminated it both times but it was like teflon and kept coming back for me punishment. Is Ms. Pac-Man my #1 of all-time. No, but it was fun fighting for it and repping arcade games in this rankdown. Ms. Pac was released in 1982 and is a maze arcade game developed by Midway. It's the sequel to Pac-Man which was released in 1980. The game is simple. You control Ms. Pac-Man to eat all of the pellets in the maze. You have to avoid the four colored ghosts in the maze and eating power pellets will cause the ghosts to turn blue and run away since they can be consumed for bonus points. The game was acclaimed by critics for it's improvements to the original gameplay and having a female protagonist. Some would say she was superior to Pac-Man. And you know what? Ms. Pac-Man > Pac-Man. FACTS ARE FACTS. It's one of the the greatest video games of all time and one of the most successful American arcade games ever made. The game's success inspired ports for home consoles and handheld systems. It spawned numerous sequels and remake games. Ms. Pac-Man appeals to all as women love it, men love it, the elderly love it and children love. UNIVERSAL QUEEN. Ms. Pac-Man placed 5th on Time's The 50 Best Video Games of All Time list and it deserves all the praise it gets. I remember putting quarters int he arcade game to play this when I would wait for my dad to finish the laundry at the laundry mat. MEMORIES. Ms. Pac-Man is one of the most important games that has ever been made and the best arcade ever released. I had fun fighting for the game and making it last as long as it did. MS. PAC-MAN FOREVER. MS. PAC-MAN FOR SMASH? 🕵️‍♀️

10. Super Mario Odyssey (Switch; 2017)

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

source.gif

Inventive. Original. Dense. Full of adventure. Creative. Risky. 

All words that describe the incredible Super Mario Odyssey, a game that reinvents the Super Mario franchise by relying on good old open-world exploration rather than linear gameplay. The game appeals to the core fans of the franchise, offering the player a much more free and personal experience with Mario and Cappy! Sometimes, reinventing the wheel just means returning to an old concept that is tried and true. There is a very good reason why Super Mario Odyssey received the critical acclaim and massive commercial success that it did: it emulated Super Mario 64. A brilliant idea to be honest, as Odyssey breathed new life into the franchise by returning to Mario at his peak: as an explorer and adventurer.

Taking the Odyssey on adventures to many different kingdoms is super exciting. The search for Power Moons is enthralling and as personal as you want it to be. Each Kingdom is full of secrets, adventures, missions, problems, monsters, bosses, mini games, and fun. Nintendo was working at full designing capacity with this game. Honestly. Every world is f*cking gorgeous, full of character, full of charm, full of wonder. 

The Cappy mechanic is iconic. Mario as a T. rex, a bolt of electricity, a bullet bill, a stack of Goombas, a Chain Chomp, a Yoshi. ICONIC. ICONIC. One of the most innovative and brilliant introductions to any Super Mario title. A super big risk, but one that paid off immensely.

UGH. Everything about this game is beautiful and incredible. I love the focus on leisure exploration and Kingdom conquering rather than strict story progression. Super Mario Odyssey harks back to the days of old, which is just what the series needed to revitalize the major fans. I am a major fan. Super happy to see this game progress so far in the Rankdown.

Yay another platform game to write about. It was developed by the Nintendo Switch, and features Mario (I know, I was shocked too) and Cappy (which is essentially his usual hat possessed by a ghost) as they travel across different worlds to save Princess Peach from Bowser, who wants to marry her against her will (lbr no one comes to a Mario game expecting a super well written plot lol, you come for the gameplay, which was really well executed). The game received universal critical acclaim from critics and fans, and won a lot of awards. Great for it making it this far.

On 4/4/2020 at 2:20 PM, .Rei said:

Super Mario Odyssey

Super_Mario_Odyssey.jpg

giphy.gif

Super Mario Odyssey is probably the best Super Mario game ever and one of the greatest games ever made. The game is huge and definitely one of the most fun to play that I've ever had the chance to play. 

giphy.gif

Super Mario Odyssey was released on 2017 for the Nintendo Switch. The game has sold 16.59 millions of copies making it the third best selling Nintendo Switch game after Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. The game also received critical acclaim upon release by pretty much everyone and it holds a 97/100 score on Metacritic which to me is appropriate cause this game is just a masterpiece. 

giphy.gif

Like most Mario games, the main goal is to rescue Princess Peach after she is kidnapped by Bowser again with the intend to marry her. 

giphy.gif

Mario is early defeated by Bowser, who destroy his hat and throws him off into the Cap Kingdom. Here, Mario meets Cappy, a hat-like creature, that joins forces with Mario to stop Bowser. Cappy's sister is also being held captive by Bowser, who wants to use her as Princess Peach's tiara for the upcoming wedding. Cappy takes the form of Mario's cap, giving Mario a bunch of new abilities that include capturing other creatures and objects and use their abilities. 

FixedUncommonGeese-size_restricted.gif

MjM2MTc2ZDhjMiMvQWJBck0yVHU4Y3FpWW5EV2Fv

AbsoluteFlusteredHousefly-size_restricte

FearlessFrenchGourami-mobile.mp4

SickRingedAmericanmarten-mobile.mp4

FlimsyInbornBobwhite-mobile.mp4

EnormousDesertedIndigobunting-mobile.mp4

Throughout their journey, Cappy and Mario recover an airship called The Odyssey and they start chasing Bowser through a large amount of kingdoms. 

All the kingdoms are beautifully designed and in there, Mario and Cappy must collect the power moons scattered there to fuel the Odyssey and be able to keep pursuing Bowser.

NimbleWideAnnashummingbird-mobile.mp4

AmpleDisastrousBoar-mobile.mp4

Every kingdom is humongous and there's so much to do that you would spend hours and hours trying to collect all the power moons. Even after one year of having the game with me I still have not finished this game (damn you Volleyball moon 🙂 ) but it doesn't matter cause is super fun and you really never get tired.

One of my favorite things about this game was the use of 2D gameplay in some parts reminiscent of the original game that feels very nostalgic.

80b.gif

IllfatedJauntyDodobird-size_restricted.g

I think there's like 1000 moons that you need to collect in order to truly complete the game and I believe that I have around 877 right now so I'm very close to finish it, but I haven't been able to get the volleyball moon and in the end I got frustrated and haven't really tried more. 

I hope Odyssey gets the same treatment as Mario Galaxy and we end up with a sequel cause this game was certainly a blast and one of the most fun experiences I've ever had in video gaming. I was also hoping Odyssey could be the second Mario game left but at least the one remainings are pretty iconic too and also deserving of being the last Mario game standing.

9. Mario Kart 64 (N64; 1996)

tumblr_ol59wwweV61s3uawvo1_400.gifv

tumblr_mdwzdlk6jz1rya7nw.gif

source.gif

The most important game in my childhood. Easily. One of the most iconic video games ever made. A worldwide classic. A trailblazer. 

Killer soundtrack. Balanced and competitive gameplay. Easy controls. 3D graphics. Sixteen iconic tracks. The best Rainbow Road of all-time. An iconic cast of characters with three weight classes. Four battle tracks. Four-player support.

The ultimate racing game and the best party game ever made. A Nintendo classic that is more than deserving of such a high placement. Diddy Kong Racing has the edge, but Mario Kart 64 hits me in all the feelings.

This game is baller. It was the second Mario Kart game in the series, and the second one I played. This game was often sold with the Nintendo 64 on purchase. This game in the series, really put the series as a whole on the map. Not only was Mario a successful plateformer, it now had a successful racing series. You could play with up to 4 people on the race track or in the way more fun battle mode. I lost hours and hours playing this game with my buds. Lord help anyone who stole Yoshi from me. The other 7 characters you could select were: Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Toad, Peach, Donkey Kong, Bowser and Wario. Wario didn't see much play at all on my system none of my buds liked using him. I personally feel this game should be in the Top 8, and its a crime that its not.

On 4/5/2020 at 2:38 PM, .Rei said:

Mario Kart 64

Mario_Kart_64box.png

SparseMarriedAfricanaugurbuzzard-small.g

Mario Kart 64 is definitely my favorite Mario Kart game ever. No Mario Kart game is ever gonna take that spot, no matter how many new features or improved graphics the games in the future will have, Mario Kart 64 is always gonna be my favorite. Mario Kart 64 and Star Fox 64 were the first two games I ever owned and that's probably the main reason why I love those games so much and always rank them among my top favorites of all time.

giphy.gif

Mario Kart 64 has only 8 playable characters which is just the right amount for me cause I just prefer to have a small cast of characters instead of a million one that don't add that much to the game.(I'm talking to you Baby Daisy, Gold Peach and all the Koopalings but Larry)

vWBd_4.gif

Mario Kart 64 only have 16 playable tracks that even if is maybe not that many, they are all greatly designed and are easily mu favorite group of tracks in Mario Kart. I know most of the rankers here prefer Diddy Kong over Mario Kart 64 which is something that I don't mind cause I truly love both games. However when it comes to the tracks:

Mario Kart 64 >>> Diddy Kong Racing

tenor.gif?itemid=11901579

8713a35168c13c59f47aa232687e664e.gif

Mario Kart 64 has also what I believe is the best battle mode ever in any Mario Kart game, with only just 4 battle tracks that are pretty amazing and really fun to play. Pretty much all the Mario Kart games are not really good with the battles mode but Mario Kart 64 really nailed it with his.

y_F8tG.gif

_XHyI2.gif

0PidL8.gif

I love Mario Kart 64 and I'm glad that it finish this high even if I wanted it to reach the top 5 but at least it wasn't really robbed like many other Mario games and ultimately got the respect that it deserves.