Video Game Rankdown Pt. 2

Deeee

Kirby's Adventure

IPB Image

Since I have to do one of these 3, I guess I better get it over with. I don't think I ever played this game, but I don't mind Kirby, so I haven't really nominated those games all that much. This one is the second in the Kirby series after Kirby's Dream Land, and it's also the first game to feature Kirby's copy ability (probably the reason why I don't mind Kirby: it's a pink blob that eats sh!t, who hates on that?) Oh also this is the first game to depict Kirby in colour, so this is where he became a pink blob. It was well received for having more replay value than its predecesor and for being more challeging overall. Honestly well done on making it this far, but it was it's time since no one was really defending it.

Nominations:

Golden Sun: The Lost Age (GBA; 2002)
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (GC; 2005)
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (GC; 2002)
Ms. Pac-Man (Arcade; 1982)
Ruby/Sapphire (GBA; 2002) - automatically eliminated by Dreamstinger Bow
Pokémon Snap (N64; 1999)
Edited by Deeee

Nominations:

Golden Sun: The Lost Age (GBA; 2002) - SAVED
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (GC; 2005)
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (GC; 2002) - SAVED
Ms. Pac-Man (Arcade; 1982)
Ruby/Sapphire (GBA; 2002) - automatically eliminated by Dreamstinger Bow
Pokémon Snap (N64; 1999)

Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire
IPB Image

IPB Image

FINALLY. Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire are the first mainline Pokemon games on the GameBoy Advance. They came out in 2003 in North America right around my birthday and this was almost certainly one of my birthday presents. I'm not like mad that I got this as a birthday present but I am wholly disappointed by this entire generation.

Ruby/Sapphire are the worst in the mainline Pokemon series. Here's why:
1. As many people that complained about the lack of a National Dex in Gen VIII at least a lot of those Pokemon just don't happen to already exist in the cart and game data. People may forget that Ruby/Sapphire similarly lacked a National Dex and then it turned out all those Pokemon already existed on the cart! They just weren't accessible! And at this time the National Dex would have only been 386 Pokemon, a good reasonable figure to put on the cart. (And they'd later rectify this with Emerald).

2. Too much water. In the new generation where you can see the Pokemon on the Overworld this wouldn't be too bad. But in Gen III there are random encounters. On land (outside of caves) if you avoid grass you can avoid random encounters. With all the water the last about 1/3 of the game you are just bogged by random encounters. I hope you like Wingull, you are going to see 50000 of them. What also unfortunately comes with water routes are lots of caves which also means again lots of random encounters. I am glad that random encounters are being phased out of a lot of modern RPGs.

3. Poor balance! I hope you like electric and grass Pokemon if you chose Sapphire! For the last 1/3 of the game that's all you are going to use!

4. Crystal (a GameBoy Color game) introduced animations to the Pokemon for the first time. Ruby/Sapphire (GBA games) took them away. One of the prime examples of GameFreak going two steps forward but one step back. Crystal also had a day/night system that doesn't exist in Gen III. I know it's largely because the Day/Night system ended up draining the internal battery but it still sucks.

5. The new Pokemon are largely incredibly underwhelming. There are a good number introduced and there are like three that I like. That's personal but also GameFreak included the least number of Pokemon from Gen III into Gen VIII so I feel like GameFreak is on my side as well.

6. The endgame is boring. This I think is problem with A LOT of Pokemon games to be fair. But later gens greatly benefit from online battling or things like very good Battle Towers.

There are some interesting elements like Pokemon Contests and Secret Bases but I find both to be underwhelming and at least contests would be improved in the later DS games. Though I just realized that like the last two Gens don't have Pokemon contests. Likely because you got that individual Pokemon interaction with the contests and you have things like camp in the later games. IDK. Like I said GF is a two steps forward, one step back type of company.

Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire may be the worst Pokemon games but they are still good games. I just refuse to play these ever again and also I hate them. I understand that for a lot of people whose introduction to the games were Ruby/Sapphire (and that happens to be a large number of people) that these are special games. But I'd rather play any other mainline Pokemon game and also probably like 50% of the spin-offs over these.

Save Fire Emblem

I am giving the save to Steven for posting the words “save Pokémon Snap.”

Tricky situation. Though you have the chance to bring the game back with your power still. If you had posted the same thing and Steven followed it up as you did, I’d defer to you and give you the save. :flowers:

If Steven says he was just speaking hypothetically I will give the save back to you Sola.

I am giving the save to Steven for posting the words “save Pokémon Snap.”

Tricky situation. Though you have the chance to bring the game back with your power still. If you had posted the same thing and Steven followed it up as you did, I’d defer to you and give you the save. :flowers:

If Steven says he was just speaking hypothetically I will give the save back to you Sola.

Thanks. :thumbs:

It wasn’t hypothetical. I just didn’t know if a save was still possible, but I posted just in case. :yes:

Ms. Pac-Man

IPB Image

So this game is just Pac-Man with a bow thrown on it right? Well I think I have only ever played Ms. Pac-Man. Anyway you run Ms. Pac-Man around the screen with a joystick in the arcade. Ugly colored jellyfish (or gum drops) chase after her. The will kill her if they can touch her. So Ms. Pac-Man eats the little dots on the screen while avoiding the Jellyfish. The exception to this is when Ms. Pac-Man eats the big dots, and it makes all the jellyfish vulnerable to being eatened by her. This gives your score a big boost, yay. The stage advanced once Ms. Pac-man has eaten all the dots. There are periodically fruit jumping around the stage, and you get points when you grab them. I don't know what other purpose they have.

Great job on Victoria getting Ms. Pac-Man to this point. Repping for all the arcade games out there.