SCD Series 17 Discussion Thread

*Amanda

To be fair, none of this season's female celebs deserved a perfect score. I think this is the first season where the male celebs were on a whole different level. Last season we had Faye and Ashley but this season I don't think any of the ladies were good at all.

Really hope Kelvin takes it but I have a feeling Emma will. She's been safe throughout the whole season and it would be neat to have Anton win, I guess.

Agreed with this. :yes: Especially when we bring up the fact that all-time greats Alesha and Kara never got their deserved 40s..... even though that's a story for another day. :ermm: And I know it's not fair to compare scoring from different seasons/judges. There's no denying that Kelvin and Karim have owned and dominated this series, and it's rare having two amazing standout males on the same series, with the women quite behind. I think Michelle & Saffron were the best of the women and delivered some amazing dances (Michelle's Foxtrot + Saffron's Foxtrot + Waltz) and had more to offer, but even they had clear weakness and don't really compare to the past legendary female celebs of the past. :ph34rwave: Emma could still get a 40 but don't think she's been quite there though her Charleston was super close to deserving that.

Definitely rooting for Kelvin to win it too. :yes: I would be happy with Karim winning but don’t think he has the votes to win it. Unless he pulls an Ore surprise win which don't see happening. But gahh, Emma's vote base is so strong and not to mention this being his best celeb partner, him getting his first 10s with her and getting to the final. I really feel like it could be geared of "Let's get Anton the win" moreso than Emma earning it. :ph34rwave: In Series 13 there was all that buzz to get him to the final with Katie, but she wasn't strong enough dancing-wise or fanbase win to win it - whereas Emma could have that fanbase.

My thoughts:

Emma & Anton Cha-Cha - Their best attempt at a Latin dance, but still a pretty weak dance. I really wish she had a different pro because her Latin could've been better if she did.

Kelvin & Oti Quickstep - FLAWLESS. Like Diana said earlier in the thread, dance of the season. So fantastic and so, so deserving of the perfect 40 it got. :w00t: And to think he wasn't even initially cast on this season.

Chris & Karen Viennese Waltz - Automatically not the worst "Somebody to Love" VW by virtue of not being danced by S**n. Still not too impressive though. At least they scored him realistically for this. For a great VW to this song, I'll direct you to Queen Mel B.

Karim & Amy Argentine Tango - A really great job! I'm just happy we got a good Argentine Tango from one of these shows after DWTS dropped the ball with that this season. Craig with the 8, though. :)

Emma & Anton Waltz - Gorgeous! As expected, they nailed this. Anton really knows how to choreograph good Ballroom routines.

Kelvin & Oti Paso Doble - We all knew that Paso would suit Kelvin well, and he didn't disappoint. This was fantastic. This deserved all 10's TBH. Thank you for coming through with the 10 Motsi.

Chris & Karen Rumba - WHY ARE WE GIVING THIS 8'S, JUDGES? :wacko: Literally. There was zero Rumba technique to be found on Chris' end of things while Karen did as much as possible to hide his shortcomings...which apparently worked since they got 8's for this. :rolleyes: At least Craig realized that 8's are nonsensical scoring and gave him a 4 which is more accurate. Thank you Craig. I'm confused how this scored higher than his VW, which is better LOL.

Karim & Amy American Smooth- This was such a cute and enjoyable routine. It's hard to top their flawless Jive from last week, but they still did a fantastic job here.

Loved reading your thoughts as always, Amanda.

I was also confused with the scoring of Chris' dances too. I found his VW better than his Rumba (although the storytelling/performing was good in that but lack of technique was noticeable) too. :lol: And agreed that Kelvin's Paso deserved more 10s. I rewatched the show again and still thought ti was a fantastic dance.

Well honestly bone have deseved it outside of that one dance (Saffron's Waltz). The females overall were mediocre. :closedeyes:

Yeah, it was definitely the weakest year in the female department from.... as long as I could remember.

Time for some mid-week Youtube stats of the latest dances! o:)

SCD Series 17, Week 12 - Youtube Views

(Updated at: Tuesday 12/10 @ 12:15 PM)

1. Kelvin & Oti - Quickstep: 198,101 views / 2,184 likes / 54 dislikes

2. Kelvin & Oti - Paso Doble: 138,099 views / 1,308 likes / 33 dislikes

3. Karim & Amy - Argentine Tango: 87,674 views / 878 likes / 38 dislikes

4. Karim & Amy - American Smooth: 86,188 views / 1,080 likes / 32 dislikes

5. Emma & Anton - Cha-Cha: 66,299 views / 591 likes / 30 dislikes

6. Emma & Anton - Waltz: 58,762 views / 657 likes / 13 dislikes

7. Chris & Karen - Rumba: 47,790 views / 401 likes / 26 dislikes

8. Chris & Karen - Viennese Waltz: 40,803 views / 394 likes / 18 dislikes

Top 3 Likes:

1. Kelvin & Oti - Quickstep

2. Kelvin & Oti - Paso Doble

3. Karim & Amy - American Smooth

Bottom 3 Likes:

1. Chris & Karen - Viennese Waltz

2. Chris & Karen - Rumba

3. Emma & Anton - Cha-Cha

Top 3 Dislikes:

1. Kelvin & Oti - Quickstep

2. Karim & Amy - Argentine Tango

3. Kelvin & Oti - Paso Doble

Bottom 3 Dislikes:

1. Emma & Anton - Waltz

2. Chris & Karen - Viennese Waltz

3. Chris & Karen - Rumba

9wTqfqPkOY8

I just want everyone

Amazing of course! :omg:

Final Songs and dances revealed (Well most of them)!

EMMA AND ANTON

Judges Pick – Charleston (Thoroughly Modern Millie from Week 11 Musicals)

Showdance – Let Yourself Go (Irving Berlin)

Favourite Dance – TBA

KARIM AND AMY

Judges Pick – Quickstep (Mr. Pinstripe Suit from Week 7)

Showdance – A Million Dreams (Pink)

Favourite Dance – TBA

KELVIN AND OTI

Judges Pick – Rumba (Ain’t No Sunshine from Week 4)

Showdance – Shout (The Isley Brothers)

Favourite Dance – TBA

Link: http://www.balletnews.co.uk/strictly-come-...l-songs-dances/

Thoughts:

- Uhh these Judges Picks are SO weird. They are supposed to be dances that the celebs have potential improve upon. I don't get why they legit chose Emma's best dance and one of Karim's best dances??? I thought those would have been the dances they would have chosen as their favorite dances. Kelvin's Rumba was really great too but he has had a few more bigger standouts soo I can get that choice at least. But he also doesn't have too many dances to improve upon but even with him, some other dances would have made a bit more sense. I would have gone with Emma's Foxtrot/VW, Karim's VW and Kelvin Samba/Cha-Cha/Waltz or something? So weird all around, lol. It kinda feels like they could be pushing for an Emma/Anton win.

- As for the showdances, I don't really know Emma's song so can't comment there. Karim has a beautiful song and seems like this will be a Contemporary based showdance. I do kinda wish he went more in the Street/Commercial direction though, as I think he has a dance background there too. Kelvin has a really fun and exciting song. Can see that being a fun crowd pleasing routine.

- I read on Instagram that the Favorite dances would be revealed on Friday's ITT final episode. Lots of people are wanting to see Kelvin's Samba again and if he chooses that, I wouldn't be surprised if that's the 2nd perfect scoring Samba on Strictly.

At least Kelvin's will be an actual improvement which is what the round is SUPPOSED to be about. The other 2...there's not really much improvement to show when you already score a 39 out of 40 with your dance. :dead:

Edited by gabegir45

wait so Karim and Emma get some of their best dances for their redue while Kelvin gets one his worst? Cool :rolleyes:

I wouldn't say "one of his worst" per se but it's odd he gets one of his middling dances that he can improve on while others got their best/amongst their best ones. :wacko:

At least Kelvin's will be an actual improvement which is what the round is SUPPOSED to be about. The other 2...there's not really much improvement to show when you already score a 39 out of 40 with your dance. :dead:

Lmaoo yesss, exactly to all of this. :dead: I'm sure those dances will still get a 39 once again. Though depending on how Craig feels a 40 could come but still. :haha:

Here's what Shirley said in Hello magazine about the judges' choice:

Any three of these couples could win, but they're all winners in my mind for making it to the final, it's so difficult. It's been three-and-a-half months and their bodies are exhausted but they've got to keep going. Of course, anything can happen on the night, but I think it all depends on who brings the best freestyle. They'll dance a judge's pick, which is one of their best dances, and then they've got to do the most amazing freestyle. They'll have to bring creativity, all the skills and musicality they've learned over the course of the series and show us something we haven't seen before. And this time, the judges are just there for guidance, the audience decides who will win. All the couples are really going to have to bring their A-game because this is one of the toughest finals Strictly's ever had

Ahhh soo it's like a different way of going about the Judges Pick round from past years then.

Kelvin rumba is not one of his best imo hut ugh I am sure it'll be flawless this time around :wub:

Oooh certainly. Could have potential of being the first perfect scoring Rumba. :shifty: Although with Craig, I wouldn't count on that tooo much. But hopefully it can get him more 10s.

"Judges" Choice.

This. :dead:

I still feel like they are trying to set it up for an Emma/Anton win, but I hope I'm wrong. :ph34rwave:

I still feel like they are trying to set it up for an Emma/Anton win, but I hope I'm wrong. :ph34rwave:

Same. The story from week 1 has been "Look! Anton doesn't have an older partner for once!" so I feel like Emma winning and Anton finally getting a win is what they're trying to end the season on, but it would be a disappointing win because Emma has been underwhelming.

Same. The story from week 1 has been "Look! Anton doesn't have an older partner for once!" so I feel like Emma winning and Anton finally getting a win is what they're trying to end the season on, but it would be a disappointing win because Emma has been underwhelming.

Yep and also "Anton finally got his first 10s!!!!" and the whole hoopla over that too. It all feels very storylined, and lots of people on DigitalSpy are seeing and feeling this way too. I feel like Craig finally giving them a 10 would be topping of the cake. I do think Emma has probably been Anton's best partner (although Lesley from Series 1 can rival that but it's hard comparing S1 to S17 celebs) but yeah still underwhelming compared to Kelvin and Karim.

If Anton finally wins maybe he'll quit :) :wub:

:dead::haha:

Aljaz posted some videos on his IG story today of finale rehearsals, and in the background of a couple of them you can see David and Nadiya looking quite cosy. :ph34r:

:dead: @ this.

Love that you brought this up because I was actually thinking and noticing them being kinda cozy and giving some ~flirty looks in some pictures I've seen of them on social media and such, when they were in the competition. :haha: Ooh and lmao it's been brought up on DigitalSpy too: https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/23...d-and-nadiya/p1. Ooh and found it talked about on Twitter: https://twitter.com/softsugwell/status/1204882100362633216.

Maybe that's the real life couple of the season. :giggle: Although I heard rumors of Alex & Neil too, which is interesting, as I don't see that kind of chemistry with them.

:dead: @ this.

Love that you brought this up because I was actually thinking and noticing them being kinda cozy and giving some ~flirty looks in some pictures I've seen of them on social media and such, when they were in the competition. :haha: Ooh and lmao it's been brought up on DigitalSpy too: https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/23...d-and-nadiya/p1. Ooh and found it talked about on Twitter: https://twitter.com/softsugwell/status/1204882100362633216.

Maybe that's the real life couple of the season. :giggle: Although I heard rumors of Alex & Neil too, which is interesting.

Wow I would not have guessed David & Nadiya but then again, it was supposed to be an unexpected couple. I think she's still with her fiancee too :ph34r:

Wow I would not have guessed David & Nadiya but then again, it was supposed to be an unexpected couple. I think she's still with her fiancee too :ph34r:

Me neither. The Strictly cruse strikes again. :fear: :dead:

The paps are usually right on spotting and reporting real-life Strictly couples, as they've done so the last two years (and I'm sure longer). Sooo we shall see within time. :lol: