SCD Series 17 Discussion Thread

*Amanda

Also wanted to post this article from the main Strictly site!

IPB Image

He may have been a last-minute arrival to the competition, but Kelvin Fletcher has danced his way to victory, winning the Glitterball trophy with Pro partner Oti Mabuse!

Their Strictly journey started with a sizzling Samba to Celia Cruz’s La Vida Es Un Carnival, which they performed once again in the 2019 Grand Final. They also danced their Week Four Rumba to Ain't No Sunshine as their Judges' Pick, as well as a spectacular Showdance to Shout by The Isley Brothers.

All three dances wowed both the Judges and the audience at home, securing them the coveted winning title of Strictly 2019.

When being awarded the Glitterball trophy, Kelvin said: “I'm absolutely speechless! I did not expect that. It's just been such a privilege to be here. I think this show represents everything that is amazing with this country, I think the people personify what is great. It's just been an absolute privilege."

It was also a real moment for Oti, marking her first ever win after five years on the show. She couldn't thank Kelvin enough, saying: "I've been on this show for five years and I have never, ever met any Celeb who gives his heart, his soul... If something's not working we stay in training and rehearse, and not because we wanted to win, but because he genuinely, genuinely loved dancing. And for me that is the best gift and the best ending to my year, so thank you so much!"

The pair faced tough competition from dancing duos Karim Zeroual and Amy Dowden and Emma Barton and Anton Du Beke, who also performed three fantastic routines each.

Huge congratulations Kelvin and Oti! It’s been such a memorable year and we couldn’t be prouder of all of our finalists.

But that isn’t the last of Strictly for 2019, as we’ll be back with our Christmas special on BBC One, Christmas day at 4.40pm.

Thank you so much for another fab-u-lous year and for all your likes and comments across the series. We’ll see you in 2020, but until then, you know the drill…

Keeeeeep dancing!

Link: : https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/strictlycomedan...35-6a4c4910f708

1. Kelvin & Oti - Showdance

2. Karim & Amy - Jive

3. Kelvin & Oti Samba

4. Karim & Amy - Showdance

5. Kelvin & Oti - Rumba

6. Karim & Amy - Quickstep

7. Emma & Anton - Charleston

8. Emma & Anton - Viennese Waltz

9. Emma & Anton - Showdance

So hard :dead:

Impossible to rank :dead:

The struggle is real! :dead:

Just got out of work and the first thing I see is that Kelvin & Oti won. :spaz::wub:

So happy Oti got her win after her & Danny Mac were robbed of their rightful win back in season 14. :*

Yess to all of this! :w00t: :wub:

Winning moment finally got uploaded to Youtube!

tQojq3_ViFI

:w00t:

:wub:

I do find it amusing that the person who wasn't even a part of the original cast ended up winning. :haha:

LOL I know. I was thinking of that right before and after Kelvin won it. :dead:

Lol yeah I wonder how Jamie is feeling. Such a crazy twist of fate :dead:

As always, Oti looked so gorgeous tonight :wub:

Ahh yeah I was wondering this too.

Of course! :wub:

Aww sweet tweets from Danny and Jamie. Thanks for posting these! :hug:

"Thank god for my broken foot"

JAMIE :dead:

LMAO I love that he has a great humor about it. :haha: Really rooting for him to get signed on and take part in next year's competition.

Everyone's favorite (:giggle:) WatchMojo posted a video of its top 10 pro dancers.

2GaVTY5k1Rc

1. Pasha Kovalev

2. Aliona Vilani

3. Kevin Clifton

4. Oti Mabuse

5. Anton du Beke

6. Flavia Cacace

7. AJ Pritchard

8. Katya Jones

9. Ola Jordan

10. Brendan Cole

Everyone's favorite (:giggle:) WatchMojo posted a video of its top 10 pro dancers.

2GaVTY5k1Rc

1. Pasha Kovalev

2. Aliona Vilani

3. Kevin Clifton

4. Oti Mabuse

5. Anton du Beke

6. Flavia Cacace

7. AJ Pritchard

8. Katya Jones

9. Ola Jordan

10. Brendan Cole

They had arguably the right pick for the top. (Although keeping Aljaz out and having Kevin as high as 3 is a shame.)

Aww amazing message from Keo there! :w00t: :wub:

2GaVTY5k1Rc

1. Pasha Kovalev

2. Aliona Vilani

3. Kevin Clifton

4. Oti Mabuse

5. Anton du Beke

6. Flavia Cacace

7. AJ Pritchard

8. Katya Jones

9. Ola Jordan

10. Brendan Cole

MJ! :wub:

Good'ish list overall. Although wait, the biggest omission is probably Giovanni…. where the heck is he? :ermm: Ooh and Artem too. Also I’m sad Aljaz, Karen Hauer and Natalie aren’t on there either. :( I do think Giovanni, Artem and Natalie deserve spots on there for sure. I will post my thoughts.

- Early seasons Brendan deserves a spot in there with his partnerships with Natasha, Kelly and Lisa. His later seasons weren't as good though.

- I always loved Ola, so I’m happy she’s on there. Even though I do feel she gets the short end of the stick with her partners. She’s only had two notable partners (Chris & Ashley), and also the robbed DJ Spoony.

- Katya is an amazing innovative and creative choreographer and made some fun routines with her lesser capable partners and did great with Joe.

- Aww nice to see AJ on the list. He mostly does a great job with his partners, especially in ballroom styles where all of his partners have done well in. It’s just the Latins that are tricky. Aww the comments of him being short from making the finals. I hope he can do so next year.

- Flavia is a great pro and nice to see her on there. She did well with her contenders Matt & Louis and had a fun entertaining partnership with Russell.

- You can’t really have a Pros list without Anton. He deserves to be on here with his longevity on the show although #5 seems too high but maybe he’s that high for that reason. :haha: He

- Slayy at Oti being here at #4. :wub: She’s an amazing choreographer/dancer and teacher - she had amazing partnershipps with Danny & Kelvin, but even with lesser dancers in Graeme and Johnny, she produced such fun routines with them. “She’s yet to lift the trophy.” Things have changed now. :giggle:

- Kevin definitely deserves to be on the list. :yes: He’s a great pro and one of the most successful Pros getting to the final 5 out of 7 times! He’s done a great job with all of his partners that got to the final, has produced a number of memorable routines and even had a fun partnership with Susan.

- Yayy Aliona! :wub: She def deserves her spot being the only Pro to win twice. She’s had such fantastic partnerships with Matt, Harry and Jay. She produced so many great dances with them.

- Pasha is the perfect choice for #1. He’s had amazing partnerships with Chelsee, Kimberley, Caroline and Ashley - and he produced so many amazing dances with them. Great commentary they had for him there too.

I guess it's time to rank the couples!

1. Karim & Amy

2. Michelle & Giovanni

3. Kelvin & Oti

4. Emma B. & Anton

5. Emma W. & Aljaz

6. Dev & Dianne

7. Alex & Neil

8. Saffron & AJ

9. Chris & Karen

10. Catherine & Johannes

11. Will & Janette

12. David & Nadiya

13. Mike & Katya

14. Anneka & Kevin

15. James & Luba

Loved 1-3 (and that would have been my ideal final), liked 4-8, and 9-11 were couples I enjoyed at times but wasn't a main fave of. I didn't completely warm to Catherine, but I think it was slowly happening and had she lasted longer she would have been higher for sure. 12-15 is a pretty easy bottom four for me. :haha:

Edited by ImSomebody

They had arguably the right pick for the top. (Although keeping Aljaz out and having Kevin as high as 3 is a shame.)

I definitely agree with Pasha being #1. :yes: Although I do think Aljaž, Giovanni, Artem and a handful of early season pros were overlooked for this list.

1. Kelvin & Oti

2. Karim & Amy

3. Saffron & AJ

4. Michelle & Giovanni

5. Emma W. & Aljaz

6. Dev & Dianne

7. Catherine & Johannes

8. Emma B. & Anton

9. Alex & Neil

10. Chris & Karen

11. Will & Janette

12. David & Nadiya

13. Mike & Katya

14. Anneka & Kevin

15. James & Luba

1. Kelvin & Oti

2. Karim & Amy

3. Saffron & AJ

4. Catherine & Johannes

5. Michelle & Giovanni

6. Emma W & Aljaž

7. Emma B & Anton

8. Dev & Dianne

9. Alex & Neil

10. Chris & Karen

11. Will & Janette

12. David & Nadiya

13. Mike & Katya

14. Anneka & Kevin

15. James & Luba

Yayy I’m glad everyone is ranking the couples because I was trying to figure that out the last few days and was stuck on them. :haha:

1. Kelvin & Oti

2. Karim & Amy

3. Saffron & AJ

4. Michelle & Giovanni 

5. Alex & Neil

6. Dev & Dianne

7. Catherine & Johannes

8. Emma W & Aljaž

9. Chris & Karen

10. Emma B & Anton

11. Will & Janette

12. David & Nadiya

13. Mike & Katya

14. Anneka & Kevin

15. James & Luba

Overall thoughts:

- As I said a number of times, I love Kelvin and Karim equally and both kept changing as my #1 fave of the season. But partnership/pro-wise, I love Oti more than Amy so that gives Kelvin the edge. Kelvin and Karim delivered so many amazing dances I loved and have my conflicted on my top faves from them. Both guys dominated the season and the first time I’ve ever had two males as my Top 2 faves.

- Saffron was my favorite girl by a slight margin. Her ballroom was amazing (Foxtrot & Waltz were season highlights and a great Quickstep) and it’s a shame we didn’t get to see more of that. Such a shame party Latin was a struggle for her. Also a shame this was AJ's lowest placement as I felt Saffron was his 2nd strongest dancing partner so far.

- I did find Michelle a bit overscored early on the series, but she proved to be a great performer and really get into her dances. It’s a shame she was one of the many stars that feel victim to a bad dance.

- Alex was my pre-series fave sooo i will remain partial/biased towards her. :ph34rwave: Although I wish she had a stronger journey, I did enjoy a lot of her dances with her growth arc, partnership with Neil and her personality

- Dev and Catherine’s eliminations were heartbreaking, and I loved their partnerships with their respective Pros in Dianne and Johannes and they were so fun together. I do think Dev had really strong potential and could have made it an all male final if he didn’t get such a mismatch song for his Cha-Cha. >.

- Emma W was someone I was drawn to and that grew on me a little late, I felt. She didn’t start off too well but really grow and had some really beautiful and nice dances. Once again, a victim of a bad dance not suiting her.

- Chris is the definition of a fun enjoyable guy. I loved his partnership with Karen and while dancing-wise, he did last too long, I wasn’t ever too annoyed since I enjoyed him as a person and his personality and he cracked me up a lot - but he still had some dances I really enjoyed. Still think he’s amongst my favorite comedian types.

- Dancing-wise, I would put Emma B much higher and I do think she proved to be like…. maybe the 5th best dancer of the season? Sadly I didn’t really enjoy her partnership with Anton whereas I really like the above partnerships. While I do think Emma is Anton's best partner, she was still done a disservice with him and probably could have done better with another pro, particularly in Latin. Also found Emma good but underwhelming for a lot of her run - although she did THAT with her Viennese Waltz, American Smooth, Charleston and Waltz.

- Will is a great inspirational guy and had a lovely partnership with Janette. Sad how he went out on an injury but his Contemporary was a beautiful memorable moment on his run.

- I actually liked David, moreso as a person/tryer, even though he definitely wasn’t a good dancer. I do think he and Nadiya were a bit low-key but was kinda mad the judges tried so hard giving him a redemption arc which ended up robbing Dev.

- Mike definitely had a lot of fun on the show and with his dances but sometimes he vented on being #toomuch and extra where he got to be annoying. Katya was also a bit too much at times too. And the judges constantly saving him was annoying. :| But he seems like a good guy and had fun so that’s good.

- Anneka was clearly the weakest woman. Also the first really awkward/not-so-successful partnership of Kevin’s, but she had a nice Waltz so at least she’ll have that. As well as probably the worst Charleston too. :ph34r:

- Ah I felt bad for James as he seemed and felt so out of place on the show. :( Terrible dancer and weakest dancer of the lot by far, but seems like a nice guy. Hoping Luba can get a contender next season.

Another really good post-season Kelvin & Oti interview. ^_^

SfSYjLh4zTI

So interesting how Kelvin calls himself a slow learner to their routines yet knocked out so many amazing dances. And ugh so sad Oti won’t be on the tour with Kelvin. He’ll be with Janette. Also nice that they mentioned Jamie too.

qAVVo00we-0

Anton cleared up the rumors of him quitting - which he says he can’t leave and won’t ever leave. :| :dead: