AI22 Elimination Format

Idol Maniac

On 2/10/2024 at 6:46 PM, CarmenSandiego said:

So maybe we’re going from 20 to 16 after the Top 24 and then 16 to 12, given that we have an extra week.

I hope it’s this tbh, the results last season were not that bad especially near the end, but going to the top 12 the results were horrible, so at least this way some of them can have another week

Also I get why they wanna give the judges some say but wildcards seems kinda pointless if they just go home the next week... wish it could be something more like S20 where at least 3 out of 4 made it past the first week. Some of that depends on the cast I guess

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, nytsch said:

Also I get why they wanna give the judges some say but wildcards seems kinda pointless if they just go home the next week... wish it could be something more like S20 where at least 3 out of 4 made it past the first week. Some of that depends on the cast I guess

like the last time a WC made it far was jena irene (runner-up) from S13 ... 

• 1 month later...

Updating this thread because I didn't want to spam the spoiler thread + it would be good to have all information in this thread. Here's what we know about the format thus far!

Confirmed

Sunday, 4/14 (Open Theme) - Top 24 Results/Top 20 Perform 

Monday, 4/15 (Open Theme) - Top 20 Results/Top 14 Reveal 

Sunday, 4/21 (Rock & Roll Hall of Fame) - Top 14 Perform/Top 12 Reveal

Monday, 4/22 (Billboard #1 Hits) - Top 12 Perform/Top 10 Reveal

Sunday, 4/28 (Year You Were Born) - Top 10 Perform/Top 8 Reveal

Monday, 4/29 (Judges Song Contest) - Top 8 Perform, Top 6 + Judges Save Reveal

Confirmed Themes, Not Confirmed Elimination

Sunday, 5/5 (Adele Night) - Top 7 Perform, TBD (likely Top 5) Reveal

TBD

Sunday, 5/12

Sunday, 5/19 (Finale) 

Edited by m1key
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, wildestinvegas said:

is the cut from 14 to 12 confirmed?

yup it's in this press release (https://www.dgepress.com/abc/pressrelease/american-idol-712-rock-roll-hall-of-fame-4-21/

9 minutes ago, wildestinvegas said:

I’m assuming we’re going from 8 > 6 > 5 > 3. Either that or 8 > 6 > 4 > 3. It wouldn’t make sense to have a triple elimination with that many shows left (unless the judges have a save). 

i do think there will be a judges save involved with the Judges Song Contest. so it might go from 8-6, but the winning judge gets to save one contestant. that makes it top 7 and then we have the typical 7 > 5 > 3 format.

either way i'm just really happy because we pretty much will have double eliminations from Top 14 to Finale which is amazing for ABC Idol standards!

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, m1key said:

yup it's in this press release (https://www.dgepress.com/abc/pressrelease/american-idol-712-rock-roll-hall-of-fame-4-21/

i do think there will be a judges save involved with the Judges Song Contest. so it might go from 8-6, but the winning judge gets to save one contestant. that makes it top 7 and then we have the typical 7 > 5 > 3 format.

either way i'm just really happy because we pretty much will have double eliminations from Top 14 to Finale which is amazing for ABC Idol standards!

Not even only for ABC Idol standards but for any modern singing competition nowadays. I’m really happy w this format! Hopefully they’ll stick to it moving forward.

• Like 3

Predictions…

Top 10 in votes (no particular order):
Will

Abi

Triston
Emmy

McKenna

Jack

KB

Mia

Odell

Kayko

Judges’ Saves:

MacKenzie
Jennifer

Julia

Ajii

Eliminated:

Quintavious

Roman

Jordan

Nya

Jayna

Kennedy

On 4/12/2024 at 6:54 PM, FloorWax said:

Predictions…

Top 10 in votes (no particular order):
Will

Abi

Triston
Emmy

McKenna

Jack

KB

Mia

Odell

Kayko

Judges’ Saves:

MacKenzie
Jennifer

Julia

Ajii

Eliminated:

Quintavious

Roman

Jordan

Nya

Jayna

Kennedy

Agree mostly but I think either Nya or Jayna will be chosen

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, StarWalker1 said:

also I doubt Julia will need the WC ... she's doing very well on FB and her backstory is very prominent

In that case, here’s how I think the Top 20 will become the Top 14.

Top 10:

1.  Abi

2.  Emmy 

3.  Jack

4.  Julia

5.  Kayko

6.  K.B.

7.  McKenna

8.  Mia

9.  Triston

10.  Will

Judges’s Saves:

1.  Ajii

2.  Mackenzie

3.  Nya (although it could be Jayna)

4.  Odell 

1 hour ago, Elliott said:

As much as I like having the extra two live shows, they're not at all convenient when I work 2p-11p on Mondays. :dead:

Maybe it’s just as well for Team Waffle.  You probably won’t be voting for Kayko.  🤭

Edited by CarmenSandiego

1 minute ago, CarmenSandiego said:

Maybe it’s just as well for Team Waffle.  You probably won’t be voting for Kayko.  🤭

You might be shocked to hear it’s possible to vote without having seen the episode!

• Haha 2

Why do they rush this all so much more than they used to? Back in ye olden days of Idol, they would sing one night, and one or two people would go home the next night. Nothing else happened until the following week.

Now we get rid of 4 people Sunday, and then 6 people Monday? Okay.... maybe to get it down to the top 14/12 however they want to do it. 

But they're going to continue cutting people left and right so quickly, it seems like the show will be over in the blink of an eye.

• Confused 1

34 minutes ago, rockerannah said:

Why do they rush this all so much more than they used to? Back in ye olden days of Idol, they would sing one night, and one or two people would go home the next night. Nothing else happened until the following week.

Now we get rid of 4 people Sunday, and then 6 people Monday? Okay.... maybe to get it down to the top 14/12 however they want to do it. 

But they're going to continue cutting people left and right so quickly, it seems like the show will be over in the blink of an eye.

this season has the longest format of the ABC era lol. the days of an extended format like that have been gone for years now and they aren't coming back. that is when the show used to be on from mid-January to mid-May. now it's mid/late-February to mid-May. they only have so much time!