Disney Songs Rankdown (Winner Posted)

Steven_

CRUISIN' FOR A BRUISIN'

(TEEN BEACH MOVIE)

4147b3940f31f46d9aa4c7ea270a162d022c8dac_hq.gif

I've never watched Teen Beach Movie, and my knowledge of the movie is limited to the involvement of Ross Lynch and Maia Mitchell. Since I haven't seen the movie, my knowledge of its soundtrack is also limited. If I've heard any of its songs, it was probably against my will, so deciding to cut a song from it was an easy decision on top of it not being a fan favourite in this rankdown.  To choose which songs to cut, I ended up  listening to a random song to see if I am okay with cutting the song. The chosen song, "Cruisin' for a Bruisin'', ended up leaving me indifferent, so I'm good with cutting it.  I will admit that the song can be catchy at times, but overall it lacks originality. It is giving me some Grease Lightning vibes, which was perhaps intentional considering the movie seems set in the 1950s.  I just read on the movie and it seems that it takes places in a 1950s film called Wet Side Story, where surfers and motorcycle bikers vie for privileges at Big Momma's beachside restaurant.  Wow, what a groundbreaking song & movie this is! 

SAVING: CRAZIER

Edited by *Chris
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Solaris said:

It's My Turn Now

I was going to cut Push it to the Limit, but Wallace saved it.  It's My Turn Now comes from the same movie: Jump In!  I haven't seen the movie, but it stars Corbin Bleu and Keke Palmer's character Mary Thomas.  Listening to the song, its an uptempo track sung by Keke Palmer. Its a cute song, but there is absolutely nothing special about it.  The song was released in January 2007, so its quickly approaching 20 years.  I don't see the reason to have 2 songs from a movie I've not seen in the rankdown thats a Disney Channel original, so Wallace made this decision for me.  :haha:

Save: Hoedown Throwdown

LOL Don't call me out for you considering cutting "Push it to the Limit" only to cut "It's My Turn Now" in return. 😢 :broken: 

I can't at "We Don't Talk About Bruno" being cut already. :dead: I'm not much of an Encanto fan but that song is Encanto. I didn't think Erik would be the one to worry about but here we are.

2 minutes ago, *Wallace said:

LOL Don't call me out for you considering cutting "Push it to the Limit" only to cut "It's My Turn Now" in return. 😢 :broken: 

Oh I was calling you out for saving what I was going to cut earlier today.  :haha:

2 hours ago, FrogLenzen said:

Not Wallace cutting the one and only reprise that anyone said they liked in the thread lmao 

2 hours ago, FrogLenzen said:

Not you with this callout when you cut songs I openly posted to loving. 😭

18 minutes ago, Solaris said:

Oh I was calling you out for saving what I was going to cut earlier today.  :haha:

Ooooh alrightt. I took it differently with what you said at the end. :dead: 

1 minute ago, *Wallace said:

Not you with this callout when you cut songs I openly posted to loving. 😭

I haven't even made any cuts yet!!!!!!!!! in this game at least lol, don't ask about other games I'm an innocent angel always

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, FrogLenzen said:

I haven't even made any cuts yet!!!!!!!!! in this game at least lol, don't ask about other games I'm an innocent angel always

Ooh yeah, I wasn't referring to this game. :haha:  In another game though.  Although there have been worse offenders on that end. 😛 

1 hour ago, *Wallace said:

I can't at "We Don't Talk About Bruno" being cut already. :dead: I'm not much of an Encanto fan but that song is Encanto. I didn't think Erik would be the one to worry about but here we are.

21 savage GIF

The Climb

MV5BZTNiOTZjYjctMTIzZC00ZmE5LTgyYjgtYjhjMjUxNDcyNzgwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzExODYzNzc@._V1_.jpg

I've discussed my hatred for this song in the American Idol performances rankdown. I discussed my hatred for this song in the songs rankdown. It's just a bad song. I don't know how many different ways I can say it. The lyrics are beyond basic. The melody is annoying. There's nothing interesting or daring about it. Just basic as basic can be. Miley Cyrus has come a long way from her Hannah Montana era and I'm so proud of her. I genuinely consider myself a fan of her music nowadays. Plastic Hearts slaps. She's got some great rock covers, she has the perfect rasp for it. She's an extremely talented artist and her early work does nothing to convince me of that fact. I don't know how this song works in the context of the movie. I've never watched it, I have no plans of watching it. I've never seen a single episode of Hannah Montana, don't plan on starting now. But as a song alone, it can go.

Save Snuff Out the Light

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Too Good to Be True (Reprise)

I was kinda hesitant in cutting another reprise due to the drama I caused earlier. But if it causes for another save from Alex, then so be it. :kissbye: And also hesitant in cutting another song from Fun and Fancy Free, as I didn't want to come across as targeting a movie that already lost a song but here we are. But I went to listen to "Too Good to Be True (Reprise)" and the first half of it just bored me. :yawn: Some nice, pretty vocals and harmonies but it just kinda drags? It gets better on the last half of the song with Dinah Shore's beautiful vocals. But that's not enough to save the song the song. Plus there's a longer version of the song that would represent the song better. I also never saw Fun and Fancy Free and don't have any kind of personal attachment to it.

Saving: Cheetah Sisters

Reindeer(s) Are Better Than People (Continued)

Frozen has some legitimately excellent songs that I love. But both this song and the one from the original movie are just silly quick little ditties. I don't even know that I would have moved on the first one if I was all alone in making the first cut choices, but I definitely would not have moved on this one. It's a short 30 second song. Jonathan Groff is a great singer but let's be real Kristoff is like the 4th best Frozen character AT BEST. Depending on how I'm feeling I could move him down! I just feel this song really isn't necessary and by the time you read this entire write-up you've probably could have listened to "Reindeer(s) Are Better than People (Continued)" twice. Easily.

Saving: Surface Pressure

Lets Stay Together

I like Hayley Mills as an actress and I think that The Parent Trap is a decent movie, but I don't enjoy Hayleys voice on this song. And I know she's like a child lol but it's too childish for my liking, and I don't find the  song  catchy at all tbh. Although I don't like despise of it, it  sounds to me like something that would be sang by a 6 year old. It definitely fits the plot of the movie and I can see why it was included but I just personally do not enjoy it. Also some of the lyrics do make me cringe from time to time. 

Save: "Me And You"

NEVER KNEW I NEEDED
(THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG)

nt4fO2.gif

When I listen to this song, I find it hard to believe that Ne-Yo wrote it for The Princess and the Frog. In my opinion, the song doesn't capture the essence of the movie, especially when compared to the other songs who have a New Orleans influence in their sound. I wouldn't be surprised if Ne-Yo wrote the song before the movie's release or without having seen it or without hearing the other songs featured in the film, and it was later added to the soundtrack to have a well-known musician associated with the movie. This song is far from being the worst song ever but when I think about the soundtrack of The Princess and the Frog, this song never comes to mind. And if we are being honest, it's likely a skip on the album, especially when compared to the other songs featured in the movie that truly capture the feel of the movie. 

SAVING: YOU'LL ALWAYS FIND YOUR WAY HOME

Edited by *Chris
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, totes4totes said:

Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah

Like "The Siamese Cat Song" this is another iconic Disney song with unfortunately a very racist background. There's a bit where it feels like the song itself has overcome it (to the point where I feel like a lot of casual Disney fans do not know where it comes from) and at the same time I feel like it's fading from being one of the single most iconic Disney songs. I actually listened to like an entire podcast episode on this song (from Karina Longworth's VERY good podcast You Must Remember This where she has an entire season dedicated to Song of the South) where she links the background and writing of this song to the very popular minstrel shows of the 1800s/early 1900s. I think once you get that link in your head it's hard to remove it. So as much as this song is pretty good and as good as the Splash Mountain ride is (where this song is the tune you hear), I'm glad that Disney is giving it all a makeover and quietly kind of excluding it. (Though it begs the question of how to deal with our racist past and how Disney should be dealing with theirs).

Saving: BET ON IT

Oscar winning song! lololol

I think I posted here when I watched Song of the South the first time a couple years ago. It's really fascinating in how insidious it is. No one is running around saying the N word, it's Disney. A Disney-fied plantation portrayed as a wonderful pastoral setting where the slaves are all happy and give the little white kids sage advice and everything is normal and great. 

I always liked Splash Mountain and the story of Br'er Rabbit... sure, I'm a sucker for cute animals but the folktales have such a rich cultural background and I think there's potential for a Br'er Rabbit to make a comeback in a different context. Hard to detach him from the Song of the South film tho

Real Gone

mqdefault.jpg

I don't like Cars. I don't think that's an unpopular opinion. At least I hope it's not. I do respect Miss Sheryl Crow. I wouldn't consider myself a fan or someone I'd ever go out of my way to listen to her. But I respect her as an artist. This song's a bit cheesy. I mean "I'm American made, Bud Light, Chevrolet, My momma taught me wrong from right.". It's like an AI just threw out generic country music song words and placed them at the beginning of this song lmao. It's kind of got a fun beat going to it. But just not something I choose to listen to. Apparently this song played at the Piston Cip when Lightning tied Chuck Hicks and The King. Don't remember that scene. Don't remember much about the movie. I saw it as a kid with my grandmother and she cried as she does during every movie lmao :wub:.

Save Be Prepared

Edited by Alex95

The Party's Just Begun

So I haven't seen the second Cheetah Girls movie, so I figured if I would cut a song from either movie it would be from this one.  After listening to the three entrants in the rankdown, I decided to cut The Party's Just Begun.  It didn't hit as hard as Amigas Cheetah and Strut, so I decided it should leave. The song was released in 2006 after the movie dropped on the Disney Channel. The song doesn't really feature of the ladies as a soloist, and I find the song pretty underwhelming. Sorry if anyone doesn't care for the cut but a sequel Disney Channel movie should be a safe bet to cut in the early stages of the rankdown.

Save: Where the Dream Takes You

Dalmatian Plantation / Finale

101 Dalmatians isn't a musical, but the lead human guy is a musician. And so even though it wasn't a musical it still spawned one of the best songs ever written of all time with the Cruella song. This song, on the other hand, is the finale ditty that the human guy plays at the end of the movie when they have all the rescue puppies. It's less than a minute long and he's singing about a plantation since it rhymes vaguely with dalmatian. Now, take it from a guy whose hometown is Plantation, FL and high school was South Plantation. The word "plantation" alone probably isn't completely cancellable it but it still deserves a side-eye and we are probably better off just leaving it behind and moving on. Maybe one day my hometown will change its name too, pls

Save Yodel-Adle-Eedle-Idle-Oo

Days in the Sun

This is a song written for the live action version of Beauty and the Beast. A movie that is dumb and shouldn't exist. If you are going to do a live action, either do it as a NON-MUSICAL or do an adaption of the TONY WINNING SUCCESSFUL BROADWAY MUSICAL. If you're gonna cast the stunning talented Emma Watson, THEN YOU SHOULD DO A NON-MUSICAL. Even though she's not french. But instead they picked the worst of both worlds. I can't let a song with Emma singing stick around too long in this game and this song is pretty dull anyway so this is my next choice to get rid of.

Save Trashin' the Camp

Cinderella Main Theme

This is the overture to the original Cinderella animation. If we are gonna keep a song that just states the titular character's name a lot, see my save below. At first I thought this was strictly orchestra, I totally forgot about this Cinderella song. The tempo and the strings and everything else sounds so dated, and not in a fun nostalgic way. More sleepy. And it just plays over the opening credits so it's not like there's even a fun animation to make this more memorable. There are good songs from Cinderella and from this old-timey era but this isn't one of them.

Save Belle