Disney Songs Rankdown (Winner Posted)

Steven_

2 minutes ago, *Wallace said:

NOT the song I was referring to. :claybleh:

(Though I gotta give it a listen sometime as I heard 2023 TLM songs were really good.) 

It's my favorite, its stupid and exactly what the movie needed for a new song!

• Haha 1

Prince Ali (Reprise)

The evil laughing at the end of this absolutely kills me for some reason lol. Anyways I do enjoy the movie Aladdin, both animated and live action, but yeah i'm not a big fan of this song. The music sounds a tad bit louder than his actual voice to me and that really irritates me lol. I am actually much more of a fan of the full version of this song, as it doesn't feel as rushed as the reprise version of it. That's mostly my problem with most reprises. I feel like there wasnt really much of a reason for another version of this. 

Save: More Than A Band

The Scuttlebutt (The Little Mermaid 2023)

I find it interesting that the Live Action Little Mermaid added new songs but none of them are the new songs that were added to the Broadway adaptation of The Little Mermaid which was also done by Alan Menken. Instead they brought in my enemy Lin-Manuel Miranda to assist Menken with new lyrics for new songs. I have to say that I think the Broadway songs work more because while adding new parts (such as a Flotsam and Jetsam song) they still stay very close to the vibe that Howard Ashman had with the original music. Again with the example of the Flotsam and Jetsam song "Sweet Child" it flows right in to "Poor Unfortunate Souls" seamlessly. Likely because Glenn Slater had worked with Alan Menken several times before taking the big role of stepping in for Howard Ashman who doesn really great work in the original Little Mermaid. But with a song like "The Scuttlebutt" it just feels like it sticks out like a sore thumb. Like they needed Lin-Manuel Miranda put in his elementary level rap song because that's who LMM is and he can't be stopped. No matter if the song or movie calls for it or not. The Little Mermaid has such a great collection of songs, the Broadway adaptation was able to add some great new additions seamlessly, and even some of the new additions in this new movie are fine. And with that all in mind it makes the very awkward, very weird, and very poor "The Scuttlebutt" stand out like a sore thumb.

Save: The Age of Not Believing

Remaining

Who's Been Painting My Roses Red (Alice in Wonderland)

Pavement Artist (Mary Poppins)

My Own Home (Jungle Book)

Let Me Be Good to You (Great Mouse Detective)

Town Meeting Song (Nightmare Before Christmas)

Poor Jack (Nightmare Before Christmas)

What Are You Waiting For? (Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen)

The Goddess of Spring (Silly Symponies)

• Thanks 1

Town Meeting Song

Well since Aladdin lost two songs this round, granted they are reprises and are totally fair cuts at this stage of the game, but I'm fine with seeing one The Nightmare Before Christmas song get cut. I don't think I cut a song from this film yet. But I am cutting "Town Meeting Song" from the 1993 film,  The Nightmare Before Christmas. "Town Meeting Song" is sung and performed by the lead character Jack Skellington (whose singing voice is voiced by Danny Elfman) and Halloween Cast. I don't have much of a connection to this song, but it does have that dark and fun feel to it. There's a town meeting that's announced that has brought everyone together. This leads to Jack singing a dark and twisted sound. It's fun, twisted, theaterical and all of that. It looks like he is introducing Christmas to the town, where he sings about a Christmas tree, some presents with toys, stockings. Ooh wow and that ending was really scary and creepy, yikes. This song does sound familiar but I can't recall how/where I know it. Maybe I might have seen this?

Saving: Who's Been Painting My Roses Red

16 hours ago, totes4totes said:

I find it interesting that the Live Action Little Mermaid added new songs but none of them are the new songs that were added to the Broadway adaptation of The Little Mermaid which was also done by Alan Menken. ...I have to say that I think the Broadway songs work more because while adding new parts (such as a Flotsam and Jetsam song) they still stay very close to the vibe that Howard Ashman had with the original music. Again with the example of the Flotsam and Jetsam song "Sweet Child" it flows right in to "Poor Unfortunate Souls" seamlessly. Likely because Glenn Slater had worked with Alan Menken several times before taking the big role of stepping in for Howard Ashman who does really great work in the original Little Mermaid.

Jeremy Strong Yes GIF by SuccessionHBO

• Like 1

What Are You Waiting For?

hq720.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEhCK4FEIIDSFryq4qpAxMIARUAAAAAGAElAADIQj0AgKJD&rs=AOn4CLDT_r1YvWxce7FQC0oyoYWq4v-UFA

Another movie I haven't seen. I do know the main theme though because they played it in like every commercial for the movie and it was always on tv, at least on the kids networks I was watching in 2004. I think Lindsay Lohan was a great actress, but I was never sold on her as a singer. This song is no exception. She just doesn't have that It Factor. The song is boring, and part of that is Lindsay's fault. Mind you, there's really no melody to grasp onto. I thought the song was gonna get fun around the bridge, but they were just tricking me. I'm not sure how this works in the context of the movie. There's no video version of this song and there's not even a disney.fandom entry about this song smh. But I don't particularly care for it so I'm cutting it.

Save Let Me Be Good to You (burlesque mice ❤️)

Edited by Alex95

"MY OWN HOME"

(THE JUNGLE BOOK)

3pMFTw.gif

When I think of "Jungle Book", "My Own Home" is a song that never comes to mind; it's probably one of the most forgettable ones from the film, in my opinion. The song is sung by The Girl, as she is referred to in the film, when she's going to fetch the water. While she's fetching the water, Mowgli notices her and he is smitten / curious by her presence, which leads to him creeping up on her - very similar to Snow White and the Prince when she is singing in the well. The song seems to paint a portrait of The Girl and Mowgli's life, one day, with lyrics about getting married and the life of a married couple. The song reappears in the sequel of the film - yes, there's a sequel - where The Girl / Shanti is heard humming the song. Again, not a super memorable song from the franchise, and not one that really defines the film, so this is a good spot for it.

SAVING: PAVEMENT ARTIST

3 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

24 hours is up

Save Poor Jack

Cut The Goddess of Spring

Never mind I'm not gonna watch an entire short film to cut this lol. If someone else wants to cut it or reverse the decision be my guest. Though Poor Jack is :wub::wub:

The Goddess of Spring

We've cut a few songs from the Disney Silly Symphony series but I don't think I've cut one yet so I get to talk about them a little bit here. I threw in the first one of these in the rankdown with the very famous "Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf" which I think even if you don't know it off the top of your head you immediately recognize as it's by far the most famous of these Disney shorts (you probably recognize a lot of others even if you don't know it like "The Skeleton Dance"). I think the biggest thing that comes from these is the advancements Disney made with animation and technology. The short "Goddess of Spring" is notable for how much the advancements in animation in this lends to the feature film Snow White. Because this is the first Disney feature that has human characters. And while the animation at Disney would make leaps and bounds before finally releasing Snow White, this was an important proof of concept (i.e. it can be done and done "realistically" and well). The short itself is a 9+-minute retelling of the Hades and Persephone story though Hades here is closer to a traditional Satan than the Greek god. It's operatic and melodramatic and a fun watch if you've got the time and desire. But it's no huge loss at this point.

Saving: Poor Jack

NOMINATIONS:

Touch the Sky (Brave)
Ichabod Crane (The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad)
All Is Found (Frozen II)
The Bells of Notre Dame (Reprise) (The Hunchback of Notre Dame)
My Funny Friend and Me (The Emperor's New Groove)
Candle on the Water (Pete's Dragon)
Happy Working Song (Enchanted)
Perfect Isn't Easy (Oliver & Company)
Thomas O'Malley Cat (The Aristocats)
For the First Time in Forever (Reprise) (Frozen)
Knowing What I Know Now (Wish)
Grim Grinning Ghosts (Walt Disney World Rides & Attractions)
Kidnap the Sandy Claws (The Nightmare Before Christmas)
What's This?  (The Nightmare Before Christmas)