Songs of the 1990s Mini Rankdowns (Final Round)

Steven_

16. EVERYBODY (BACKSTREET'S BACK) – BACKSTREET BOYS

15dc6e3f4fbaf3b772cf6ea9419213d3.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

GIGI: 3

DEREK: 4

WALLACE: 5

STEVEN: 6

ALEX: 8

LILY: 8

AKSHAR: 11

COREY: 11

ERIK: 13

CHRIS: 15

RICHARD: 17

NICO: 19

QK: 19

ELLIOTT: 20

TOM: 20

WALLACE

iaAzvF.gif

Um, the Backstreet Boys did not have to come so hard with this song!! :dead: hahaha but reallly, "Everybody (Backstreet's Back)" is really such an iconic song with an even more iconic music video to match it. I'm really glad that this song made it to the Top 20 as I felt the Backstreet Boys had some great and standout songs in the late 90s/early 00s and I feel those songs kinda got shafted from making it to the end here. I'm glad that's not the case with this song. It's also a bit of a bummer we can't have a proper Backstreet Boys vs. *NSYNC battle in this rankdown, as that would have been FUN to see but ah well. :( But "Everybody (Backstreet's Back)" is a pop classic and I do consider this my favorite uptempo song from Backstreet Boys. I love how hard this song goes with the music production/beat! It's so cool and funky. :bobo: I love how the song starts off with the chorus, which is so catchy and fun that you can't help but sing along to it. :bobo: 

Everybody, yeah
Rock your body, yeah
Everybody, yeah
Rock your body right
Backstreet's back, alright!

I love the attitude and style that AJ brings to the first verse of the song. I love all of what he sings there: 

Hey-yeah, oh
Oh my God, we're back again
Brothers, sisters, everybody sing
Gonna bring the flavor, show you how
Got a question for you, better answer now, yeah

:bobo: Nick and Brian have a really fun and catchy part singing the pre-chorus of the song too.

Am I original? Yeah
Am I the only one? Yeah
Am I sexual? Yeah
Am I everything you need?
You better rock your body now

:bobo: 

Sometimes, or well back in the day, I think AJ's second verse was my favorite part of the song. Not sure if that still stands but I do still love that part a ton. I also love all of the dancing/choreo at that part too.

Now throw your hands up in the air
Wave them around like you just don't care
If you wanna party, let me hear you yell
'Cause we got it going on again (yeah-yeah-eh!)

:bobo: I also love the bridge of the song that Nick sings, where it slows and breaks down the song:

So everybody everywhere, ah!
Don't be afraid, don't have no fear
I'm gonna tell the world
Make you understand
As long as there'll be music
We'll be coming back again

But of course it needs to get back to being a dance jam that we are all here for! :bobo:

But yeah, "Everybody (Backstreet's Back)" is such a classic and one of the best songs from the Backstreet Boys! And I mentioned the video too.... it's sooo good, iconic and memorable. I lovee the creepy Halloween theme of it - with all of the different costumes/looks and all of the dancing and choreography is insane and off the charts! :omg: Again, the Backstreet Boys didn't have to go so hard for this but I am glad they did. I have a feeling that this song probably won't do as well as I hope - I can see it doing decently but probably not too great. Hopefully I can be proven wrong.

ALEX

A party and a half

COREY

On first listen, it sounds refreshingly non-sappy for a Backstreet Boys song, and I do like it. But it runs on too long, and never gets out of the parking lot.

RICHARD

I can’t say I care for this one a ton. It’s fun and catchy, but I find the singing a bit grating and the composition somewhat monotonous.

15. NOBODY'S SUPPOSED TO BE HERE – DEBORAH COX

0861545eabbed1e943f914a7c4c07b9a.600x600x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

ERIK: 1

LILY: 2

COREY: 4

AKSHAR: 7

TOM: 9

GIGI: 10

WALLACE: 10

DEREK: 13

CHRIS: 16

QK: 16

RICHARD: 16

NICO: 18

STEVEN: 18

ALEX: 19

ELLIOTT: 19

ERIK

Anyone ranking this less than 10 is incorrect.

COREY

The most sweat-inducing dance song I have ever heard. It's awesome.

WALLACE

deborah-cox-nobodys-supposed-to-be-here.

This list of songs are sooo tricky to rank. I wasn't sure but I was hoping that I would have had space to place "Nobody's Supposed to Be Here" in my Top 10 and I am glad that I was able to do so, just barely at #10. :haha: This is such a gorgeous and powerful song from Deborah Cox. This is known as her breakthrough and signature hit and what a perfect song for Deborah to hold that honor! :wub: Deborah sounds so beautiful and soulful singing this song. I love how she sings the opening chorus of the song that goes:

How did you get here
Nobody's supposed to be here
I've tried that love thing for the last time
My heart says no, no
Nobody's supposed to be here
But you came along and changed my mind (my mind, my mind)

Deborah sounds so pretty and lovely singing the first verse. I love a number of parts that she sings, with some of my favorite parts where she sings:

I've spent all my life
On a search to find
The love who'll stay for eternity
The heaven sent to fulfill my needs
But when I turned around
Again love has knocked me down 

I'm sad to say love wins again 

But I turn around and you're standing here

From the second verse, I love the parts where Deborah sings:

This time I swear I'm through
But if only you knew
How many times I've said those words 

Knowing these tears I've cried
This lovely black butterfly
Must take a chance and spread my wings
Love can make you do some crazy things

So lovely. ❤️ Then wow I reallly love how Deborah really soars the song vocally on the pre-chorus and the bridge of the song. And that build up there is INSANE! :omg:

But I turn around and you're standing here
How did you?
Standing here
How did you get here? (Yeah, yeah)
No, nobody
No, no, no, no, no, no (shoo-do-doo, nobody's supposed to be here)
Nobody
No, no, no, no, no
No, no, no, no, no
No

Deboah just SANGING her heart out. It's all so good! :omg: I love how Deborah sings and belts out the rest of the song throughout until the end of this. It's all so heavenly! :wub: Speaking of the ad-libs, I also really love those parts where she sings: 

I'm not supposed to love
I'm not supposed to care anymore

I sadly don't expect "Nobody's Supposed To Be Here" to rank too well or highly here but hopefully I can be proven wrong and it does better than I expect but we'll see.

RICHARD

I don’t have too much to say about this one. It’s okay. Kind of like if Mariah Carey was a little more gospel and a little less interesting.

14. CELEBRITY SKIN – HOLE

220297db129d40bbdabe5c3e2afe2aa3.600x603x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

ALEX: 1

NICO: 1

COREY: 3

LILY: 6

DEREK: 10

TOM: 10

QK: 11

ERIK: 12

AKSHAR: 14

ELLIOTT: 15

CHRIS: 17

GIGI: 18

RICHARD: 18

WALLACE: 18

STEVEN: 20

ALEX

Makes me want to rebel.

COREY

Any other year, this would be my #1, but we sure did pick them this round. Hole just doesn't stop, the whole way through the song.

RICHARD

This one isn’t the most interesting to me. I like the rock edge here, but I find the track overall muddied and a bit monotonous.

WALLACE

afc6a199a5720f43aa437b662eb6ae7c.jpg

I'm not sure if I was expecting this to be in the finals, but I've always really liked "Celebrity Skin" and considered this my favorite song of Hole's. I can't say I'm a Hole fan in general, lol. But I think this is a fun, exciting rocking tune and I do really like the sound of it. I do really like the beginning of the song where Courtney sings: 

Oh, make me over
I'm all I wanna be
A walking study 

Hey, so glad you could make it
Yeah, now you've really made it
Hey, so glad you could make it now

:bobo: I do really like the verse where the song slows down and Courtney sings:

When I wake up in my makeup
It's too early for that dress
Wilted and faded somewhere in Hollywood
I'm glad I came here with your pound of flesh

I also like the other verse that slows down a bit though the other slower part sticks out more to me. "Celebrity Skin" is a really fun and entertaining song from Hole. Not sure how well it will do but it was fun to be reminded back of this song as I haven't heard this in awhile.

13. CAN'T TAKE MY EYES OFF OF YOU – LAURYN HILL

fb49b6236ecccf9664068b87d15ace3b.1000x1000x1.png

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

ELLIOTT: 4

ERIK: 4

ALEX: 5

LILY: 5

NICO: 9

AKSHAR: 10

DEREK: 11

TOM: 11

CHRIS: 12

RICHARD: 12

COREY: 14

STEVEN: 17

QK: 18

GIGI: 20

WALLACE: 20

ERIK

My favorite song of hers

ALEX

She is just so effortlessly cool

RICHARD

I enjoyed this one. It definitely has its own feel compared to the original, while at the same time, it’s respectful to it. It’s overall just a really cool and chill listen.

COREY

I didn't know about Lauryn Hill's version of this song, but I think I might've heard it on the radio. It's just okay.

WALLACE

This song making it over "Doo Wop (That Thing) is really disappointing. That's not to say this isn't good because this song really good but ugh "Doo Wop" is just SO iconic. :broken: Anywho, I do like Lauryn's take on "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You." She gives it a more urban/modern R&B and hip-hop flair to it and she truly makes it her own. She gives this song a new and fresh life. She sounds good on the verses but I do love how she soars on the chorus of the song.

I need you baby, and if it's quite all right
I need you baby, to warm a lonely night
I love you baby, trust in me when I say it's okay
Oh pretty baby, don't let me down, I pray
Oh pretty baby, now that I found you, stay
And let me love you, oh baby let me love you, oh baby

:bobo: 

I also really struggled with ranking songs this time around as I do actually really like all of the songs in this Top 20 (for the first time in the 90s version of this game). But I guess this is the song I listen to the least which probably could explain my #20 ranking for this?

- Aww I had a feeling "Everybody (Backstreet's Back)" wouldn't do too well. Glad it at least made it to the second half of the set but wish it had done better. :( Alex telling the truth with his comment though. :haha:
- Wished "Nobody's Supposed to Be Here" had done better too. Such a gorgeous and stunning song. ❤️ Erik ain't lying in his comment. :giggle: And oooh lol I had a feeling Corey chose to listen to/factor in the dance remix versus the original version. But I love both versions. :giggle: Interesting comment from Richard, haha. 😮
- I think "Celebrity Skin" did better than I expected. Not mad at its placement as I do like this and it's a fun rock song.
- Agree with Richard on the Lauryn Hill song and all of the cool comments on this. Not one of my favorites from her, which kinda hurt it in my own rankings, but I still like it. 

Got the following spots remaining: 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16

Not too shabby there.

Some more #1s and #20s revealed from the latest set:

#1s revealed (5): steven, corey, erik, alex, nico
#1s remaining (10): akshar, chris, derek, elliott, gigi, lily, qk, richard, tom, wallace

#20s revealed (12): akshar, richard, chris, qk, erik, lily, nico, elliott, tom, steven, gigi, wallace
#20s remaining (3): alex, corey, derek

53 minutes ago, ~Tom~ said:

I am surprised to see Lauryn Hill as @*Wallace’s 20 as well!

Lol I was hoping to surprise/shock people there. :haha: 🙈 I explained why in my comments, though I wasn't expecting to rank it last but it just happened to fell down there.

10 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Reporting him to @*Lily tbh

YOU BETTER NOT. (!) I still like the song, but it wasn't one of my top favorites from her. :haha: 

12. STOP – SPICE GIRLS

f964c3e68ca39f850972da22aeb9e0de.1000x1000x1.png

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

STEVEN: 2

CHRIS: 5

ERIK: 6

COREY: 7

LILY: 10

RICHARD: 10

ELLIOTT: 11

AKSHAR: 13

QK: 13

GIGI: 14

TOM: 14

ALEX: 15

NICO: 16

WALLACE: 16

DEREK: 19

STEVEN

Probably an unpopular opinion, but this is my favorite Spice Girls song. I like how catchy and upbeat it is, and it always makes for a fun listen.

COREY

I don't understand the hate for this song, especially among people who are otherwise fans of the Spice Girls. I do find it a bit flat compared to their other songs (at least the faster ones), but it's still a great song.

RICHARD

This isn’t what I would consider the most distinctive Spice Girls song, but what I like about it is that it’s a good vocal showcase of the different members, specifically Mel C. Overall, it’s a fun midtempo number and a nice song.

WALLACE

_kg8bS.gif

I do really enjoy and like "Stop" from the Spice Girls. This is a really fun, cutesy feel good pop song. And it has that old throwback style to it, which makes it unique. Like it kind of has a pop flavored Motown feel to it.  It's not one of my ultimate favorite Spice Girls songs (and personally I probably would have preferred "Too Much" in place here) but again, I do still really like it. Like I said in my previous Spice Girls write-ups, I love how all of the girls always have their moments to shine here. Geri, Mel C, Emma and Victoria all have lovely parts and shine on the first verse. Then I love how Mel B and Mel C come in singing the big parts in pre-chorus: 

Don't you know it's going too fast (ooh, to fast)
Racing so heard you know it won't last (ooh, won't last)
Don't you know why can't you see
Slow it down, read the sign
So you know just where you're going

The pre-chorus is really cute, fun and infectious and I really enjoy how they sing that part of the song that goes: 

Stop right now thank you very much
I need somebody with a human touch
Hey you always on the run
Gotta slow it down baby, gotta have some fun
Do do do do
Do do do do
Do do do always be together
Ba da ba ba
Ba da ba ba
Ba da ba stay that way forever

Not only is that part of the song is cute but so is the choreography. From the second verse, I've always reallly liked the part where Emma sings:

And we know that you can go and find some other
Take or leave it 'cause we've always got each other

The bridge is fun but also reallly sassy. I enjoy the sound of that where they sing:

Gotta keep it down honey, lay your back on the line
'Cause I don't care about the money, don't be wasting my time
You need less speed, get off my case
You gotta slow it down baby, just get out of my face

Then I love how Mel C slays and crushes the big vocal ad-libs at the end of the song where she sings those stop right now and we wanna thank you. :bobo: Mel C always have those big great closings in their songs!

"Stop" is fun and infectious, for sure. I'm not sure how well it will do, probably not as well as their other songs but I still think it can do decently.

11. THANK U – ALANIS MORISSETTE

c0f9ce8da5a895beb7e888e71b8800ab.300x300x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

ELLIOTT: 3

NICO: 3

RICHARD: 4

TOM: 5

CHRIS: 6

QK: 9

STEVEN: 10

WALLACE: 11

GIGI: 13

ERIK: 15

AKSHAR: 16

ALEX: 16

COREY: 18

DEREK: 18

LILY: 19

RICHARD

This one is equally brilliant to “Uninvited,” just in a different way. Instead of feeling conflicted about her past like in that one, she shows gratitude towards it here and towards all the ways it’s helped shape her as a person. I love both the calm feeling behind the verses as well as the louder and more declarative choruses here.

WALLACE

giphy.webp

I do love "Thank U" and think this is such a pretty song from Alanis Morissette. I like how she opens the song, in the verses, asking multiple questions with the "how 'bout" and how soft and pretty it all sounds. I do really love how the song builds up on the chorus where she sings:

Thank you, India
Thank you, terror
Thank you, disillusionment
Thank you, frailty
Thank you, consequence
Thank you, thank you, silence

I especially love the part with how she sings "disillusionment." She reallly extends that word. :haha: From the second verse, I love the part where she sings:

How 'bout how good it feels to finally forgive you?
How 'bout grieving it all one at a time?

I also love the bridge of the song where Alanis sings:

The moment I let go of it
Was the moment I got more than I could handle
The moment I jumped off of it
Was the moment I touched down

Alanis belts out the rest of the song wonderfully towards the end and I do love her ad-libs there. I'm definitely not surprised that "Thank U" and that both of Alanis' songs made it to the end. It will certainly be a fun battle to see which song wins out. I'm rooting for this song to rank higher but I don't think it will (though I can see it being close).

COREY

In the video, Alanis walks around naked for seemingly no reason. It was neither entertaining nor shocking, nor did it appear to support the message of the song. What was her point, exactly? This song's popularity coasted off the popularity of her previously album.

10. CLOSING TIME – SEMISONIC

744005f016f97bd3450155ce7ee78322.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

QK: 5

NICO: 5

ELLIOTT: 6

RICHARD: 7

TOM: 7

DEREK: 8

ALEX: 9

AKSHAR: 12

COREY: 12

WALLACE: 13

CHRIS: 14

STEVEN: 15

ERIK: 16

GIGI: 16

LILY: 18

RICHARD

I like the sort of approach this song takes. It’s a rock song that manages to be sentimental and beautiful at the same time, with a nostalgic feeling behind it that’s just really cozy and warm. I hope it can place at least decently high in this top 20.

ALEX

I was at a wedding last week and this was the last song played, as one does with this song. It is a good song to kinda bring you back down to reality.

COREY

It's a solid rock-type song, but the singer has a whiny voice.

WALLACE

image.jpg?=undefined&quality=80

"Closing Time" is a really solid and catchy song from Semisonic. I've always reallly liked this song a lot and had times of loving it as well. "Closing Time" has such a warm, catchy, feel good vibe to it, which I really enjoy. I do really like how this song starts off with "closing time" and then they sing different lines each time in the verses. For instance, I really like the start of the song that goes:

Closing time, open all the doors
And let you out into the world
Closing time, turn all of the lights on
Over every boy and every girl

The chorus may be repetitive but it's catchy and easy to remember. I do love that part of the song that goes:

I know who I want to take me home
Take me hhhhoooommmmeeeee

From the second verse of the song, I do really like that whole part of the song that goes:

Closing time, time for you to go out
To the places you will be from
Closing time, this room won't be open
Till your brothers or your sisters come
So, gather up your jackets, move it to the exits
I hope you have found a friend
Closing time, every new beginning
Comes from some other beginning's end, yeah

Then I like how the rest of the song rocks out with the instrumental breakdown, then it slows down a bit and then rocks back out for the rest of the song. :bobo: "Closing Time" does have a enjoyable and pleasant sound to it. With it getting a lot of votes in the voting round, I am sure this will rank well.

9. SHOW ME LOVE – ROBYN

dffd0bf0c5d8ef4b0fb9d661bde72273.499x500x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

NICO: 2

CHRIS: 3

AKSHAR: 8

GIGI: 8

TOM: 8

DEREK: 9

RICHARD: 9

STEVEN: 9

QK: 10

ERIK: 11

LILY: 12

WALLACE: 12

COREY: 15

ALEX: 17

ELLIOTT: 18

RICHARD

This is a really cool listen. It simultaneously feels relaxed and powerful, with a nice groove behind it. I wouldn’t say it’s the most memorable song, but I think it’s a good one overall.

WALLACE

giphy.webp

Ahh I remember really liking/loving the late 90s pop/R&B styled Robyn. Robyn is super talented and all but these are the songs I loved most from her. "Show Me Love" got that funky pop/R&B vibe to it and I love how Robyn sings on this song. I do love how Robyn sings the first pre-chorus of the song:

Never thought I would find love so sweet
Never thought I would meet someone like you
Well, now I've found you and I'll tell you no lie
This love I've got for you
Could take me 'round the world
Now show me love

But I really love how she sings the chorus! It's soo good and catchy where she sings:

Show me love, show me life
Baby, show me what it's all about
You're the one that I ever needed
Show me love and what it's all about, alright

From the second verse, I also really love the part where Robyn sings:

I know you've got potential
So baby let me in and show me love

Oooh Robyn is SANGING on the bridge of the song. Lovee that part of the song where she sings:

I'll love you
I'll miss you
I'll make sure
Everything will be alright
I'll give you my heart
If you just give me love
Every day and every night

That part is SO good too. :wub: "Show Me Love" is a really cool and fun song. Ugh I think this is the point of the rankings where I'm mad/sad that I can't rank songs higher but I still hope to see this rank highly here.

COREY

A forgettable song, but with a happier tone than my lower rankings.

ALEX

I generally like Robyn, but this song kinda annoys me

- Oooh it's fun to learn about "Stop" being Steven's favorite song from the Spice Girls. 😮 I do really like it but prefer a number of other songs from them. But I do get the love for it as it is fun and catchy.
- Hmmm I'm surprised that "Thank U" missed the Top 10 as I thought it would have made it there. But ultimately, I did expect this to be the lower ranked Alanis song so I'm not surprised there. Richard explained the song really well here.
- Oh wow lots of close tight/similar ranks for "Closing Time." Seems like a non-polarizing song here so that falling in the middle at #10 makes sense for it. lol Alex's wedding comment on this was funny - very fitting to close at a wedding, lol.
- Ooh I wasn't expecting Robyn's "Show Me Love" to make it this high but I'm really happy to see that it did, yay! 😄 Interesting seeing so many #8s and #9s rankings, so the #9 finish makes sense for this. 

Got the following spots remaining: 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 14
Veryyy happy with this Top 8. And wow... just realized I almost got all my Top 8 in (except my #5). 😮 

19 hours ago, *Wallace said:

Some more #1s and #20s revealed from the latest set:

#1s revealed (5): steven, corey, erik, alex, nico
#1s remaining (10): akshar, chris, derek, elliott, gigi, lily, qk, richard, tom, wallace

#20s revealed (12): akshar, richard, chris, qk, erik, lily, nico, elliott, tom, steven, gigi, wallace
#20s remaining (3): alex, corey, derek

For the first time (since ever maybe?), no new #1s or #20s were revealed so these stats remain the same. :haha: 

Just now, *Chris said:

Stop is way too low. 

I need Victoria to come back and start assigning some warning & suspension. 

While she's at it, she can gives some for some of the "Thank U" and "Show Me Love" rankings.

Edited by *Chris
  • Like 1

Some of you have never heard the history of Alanis’s spiritual awakening in India while she was writing the masterpiece that is Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie, and it shows. :ermm:

• Like 2

In the video, Alanis walks around naked for seemingly no reason. It was neither entertaining nor shocking, nor did it appear to support the message of the song. What was her point, exactly? This song's popularity coasted off the popularity of her previously album.

It’s because the song is about thankful for what you have and not needing material things!!!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Some of you have never heard the history of Alanis’s spiritual awakening in India while she was writing the masterpiece that is Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie, and it shows. :ermm:

If only she had published a memoir instead of attempting to put it to music. 😄