FloorWax ranks the Season 24 Blind Auditions

FloorWax

1 hour ago, Hsamid said:

Pleasantly surprised to see joslynn in the top 10. I don't remember you being the biggest fan when it aired either.

Out of all the auditions this season, it has definitely grown on me the most :))))

• Like 2

9. Lila Forde (Team Legend)

Explanation: Something something "if I had a nickel" something something John's second ethereal indie female from Seattle, etc. Anyway, unlike fellow Seattle natives Zan Fiskum, Payge Turner, and Halley Greg, I didn't fall in love with Lila's audition right away. Part of that is probably because her vocal inflections can be so damn strange... but then that's also part of the appeal. The way Lila manipulates her voice and does all these inventive runs is quite magical, and I understand why John was so head over heels for her all season. Her four-chair audition is definitely one of her better performances and in my opinion, a great introduction to her unorthodox stylings.

8. Joslynn Rose (Team Gwen)

Explanation: For perhaps the most surprising addition to my Top 10, I ended up really growing to love Joslynn Rose's tender version of "Arcade". I remember saying in a poll that I thought Hailey's performance was easily better than this, but my opinion has shifted. Joslynn's version felt so fresh and so artistically mature for someone of her age. The verses were haunting and controlled, while the chorus was so powerful. Her belting voice isn't fully developed yet, but I think that just added to the vulnerability of the performance. Seeing her up here along with Jacquie, RUDI, and the remaining Team Gwen artist really makes me wonder what could have been. This girl had potential.

Supposed-To-Be Clue (she was originally not up this high): What happens in every supermarket durin' Black Friday? - Jostlin' of course!

7. RUDI (Team Gwen)

Explanation: RUDI isn't the type of artist I usually go for on the show—pop artists that lean heavily into the runs are far from my cup of tea. However, and though it did take some time to grow on me, her audition both impressed and captivated me. It's hard to hear this song the same way after Kyla slaughtered it in Season 14, but RUDI's version was so different that there was no point in comparing the two. I would've loved to hear her belt out a note somewhere, but with her absolutely going off towards the end with the runs, maybe that would've been overkill. Overall, this was a very strong first impression from RUDI and I really wish we could have seen how she would've fared live.

• Like 2

On 11/6/2023 at 12:47 AM, FloorWax said:

Points so far:

1a. MILO JAY - 23

1b. QueenCami - 23

2. Someone648 - 19

3. allistr - 7

4. Dai - 6

5. TyDSC - 5

6a. Feoz - 4

6b. jarmon - 4

7. nytsch - 3

8. erik g - 2

MILO JAY and QueenCami are now tied for the top spot lol

• Like 1

For the next round, same rules from last time apply, but this time you only have to guess the next two contestants. #6 and #5. A point for each correct artist, 5 points if you guess the order (which is just a coinflip at this point lol)

Happy for the Rudi appreciation. Her audition didn't get much credit because everyone had Kyla's version in mind, but I thought she did a solid job as well. No one can beat Kyla on that song, but that doesn't mean you can't sing it in a decent way. 

It was probably in my top 5.

1 hour ago, FloorWax said:

MILO JAY and QueenCami are now tied for the top spot lol

how DARE you put me at 1b switch that are right now !!!!!!!!!!!!

anyway maybe this is unpopular but i didn’t rly like RUDI’s audition because i felt like there were way too many runs in the performance. and unlike Shi’Ann’s i didn’t feel like the runs were as technically impressive

6. Alexa Wildish (Team Niall)

Explanation: Just missing out on the Top 5 is folk chanteuse Alexa Wildish, who brought to the stage an excellent cover of one of Fleetwood Mac's most endearing ballads (R.I.P. Christine McVie </3). What I appreciate most about Alexa is how every phrase she sings feels intentional and yet felt at the same time. Lots of singers tend to lose the emotion when the performance becomes too planned, but that clearly isn't a problem for Alexa. She sang her heart out, turning in a heartfelt performance that more than earned the four chairs. It's a shame she ended up on such a stacked team, as I feel like she would've gotten further had she chosen a different coach.

5. Deejay Young (Team Legend)

Explanation: I honestly did not expect to like a version of "This Woman's Work" this much after being let down by Kevin Hawkins' performance of it a couple seasons back, but damn did Deejay blow me away. While I evidently enjoyed numerous auditions this season, I have to say that Deejay and the four above him are just a cut above the rest. His command of his head voice, the way he's able to transition so smoothly between both registers—it's mind-bending stuff. I can see where it could have been too chaotic for some people, but the manic nature of the performance didn't bother me in the slightest. It's part of the appeal for me, actually. If John had to take an RnB male into the Lives, I wish it could have been this guy. Could you imagine him having his own dramatic production on stage? Such wasted potential.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2023 at 12:47 AM, FloorWax said:

Points so far:

1. MILO JAY - 25

2. QueenCami - 24

3. Someone648 - 20

4. Dai - 13

5. allistr - 7

6. TyDSC - 6

7a. Feoz - 4

7b. jarmon - 4

8. nytsch - 3