The Voice 23 ● Live Finale Top 5 Performances ● Discussion

istersay

43 minutes ago, Stacey. said:

Oh my GODDD Gina slayed!!! 😍

Only watched Gina's performances so far but WOWWW! Way better than I even imagined. And why did everyone say she was bandzilla'd on "Style" lmao? She wasn't at all. The choruses you could hear the band and her equal parts, but she stood out throughout the WHOLE song? Her voice cuts through so much and they basically just duetted with her occasionally. I was really impressed with that performance, she made it work so well and I honestly didn't expect it to be so good esp after reading the comments here. "Nothing Compares To You" was just FLAWLESS. She hit some insane notes and I genuinely preferred it to the original. She was pitch perfect all night. 

She really couldn't have performed any better imo, I really hope she wins and I'd say she stands a great chance after a night like that. 👑

I'm glad having no male country artist on the show helped with your hearing. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

31 minutes ago, jork said:

LOL, rewatching the D Smooth Bobby Caldwell performance, it's hilarious they threw a deep trap beat behind it. Way to keep it current 🙂

I was wondering why that was there for a supposed 70’s song lmao but I think it worked 

1 hour ago, Hsamid said:

- D. Smooth's Johnny Gill performance

solid performance. A very good fit for his voice, and dare I say one of his smoothest. Thought this was better than his semifinal and audition.

- Sorelle's rendition of a million reasons

was alright. Not perfect by any means, I thought the girl in the middle was a bit shaky and seems to be the weak link in the group. The high note they harmonized in sounded unpleasant to me tbh, sounded sharp, as well as a few other moments. But the 2 blonde singers were mostly solid throughout 

- NOIVAS on cold

sounded like he was singing too high throughout the entire performance. I didn't like it, but it wasn't a complete mess like Skyfall 

- Gina's upbeat performance

was mostly solid albeit a bit karaoke imo. Sounded like she was starting to lose breath control once the 2nd chorus started though and it was like that until the end. 

- Grace's ballad

was the best performance of the night. No complaints. Her belts sounded more full and round this time around, and more pleasant to the ears than they were in the SF. No pitch issues, flat or sharp notes to be found in this performance. Perfect honestly, might be the best live performance of the season.

- NOIVAS - dragonfly

A bit messy as usual but I actually think this is his best live performance. His voice didn't sound too high for the song and he actually nailed the high notes (except the end lmao what was that). Just like Gina's upbeat it felt a bit karaoke quality to me, but it was a fun performance which is the main goal for upbeat performances. So good job NOIVAS.

D. Smooth cover of Caldwell

- another solid performance by D. Smooth. He's probably the only contestant in the lives who hasn't really missed vocally other than Grace, even if the level of vocals is just solid.

- Sorelle cover of ain't no mountain high

I think NOIVAS and Sorelle just do better on upbeat songs, which isn't the norm for contestants on the voice. This is a fun performance and the best their harmonies have sounded live. I heard someone go sharp during one of the harmonies and it continues near the end. Other then that, no nitpicks.

- Gina's ballad

Gina just sounds much better on ballads cause it allows her tone to shine. I think her flips on "nothing" could have been a bit smoother but it's just me being a nitpicky $^^@*(!. This was good 

This was a solid group of performances, my ranking would be 

1. Grace Ballad

2. D. Smooth's upbeat

3. D. Smooth's ballad

4. Gina's ballad

5. Grace's uptempo

6. NOIVAS uptempo

7. Gina's uptempo

8. Sorelle's uptempo

9. Sorelle's ballad 

10. NOIVAS ballad 

Honestly, everything from 5-10 is of similar quality to me and not much seperation. Would probably change upon relisten. I'm pretty confident in my top 4 though.

Still stan u but there are a few… interesting takes in here :stealth:

I guess my main disagreement would be that I actually thought this was a pretty weak finale? I remember liking all of S20, 21 and 22 better

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, nytsch said:

Still stan u but there are a few… interesting takes in here :stealth:

Lmfaooo

7 minutes ago, nytsch said:

I guess my main disagreement would be that I actually thought this was a pretty weak finale? I remember liking all of S20, 21 and 22 better

The bar is low, I preferred those finales as well.

I'm guessing it's the NOIVAS takes? I was reading through this thread and the social media comments and almost everyone agreed that NOIVAS upbeat sucked so I Relistened to it and.. it's worse on a 2nd listen, the runs were messy and the whole thing felt like a karaoke night out. I still think Skyfall is worse though..(maybe it's cause I don't take this song as seriously? Lol)

Cold wasn't as bad on a 2nd listen but maybe I was just subconsciously comparing it to the AI versions we heard this season which completely outsold. I still think this performance was a bit of a mess though lol.

Both NOIVAS performances are at the lower end of the ranking for me though.

Edited by Hsamid
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

Lmfaooo

I'm guessing it's the NOIVAS takes? I was reading through this thread and the social media comments and almost everyone agreed that NOIVAS upbeat sucked so I Relistened to it and.. it's worse on a 2nd listen, the runs were messy and the whole thing felt like a karaoke night out. I still think Skyfall is worse though..(maybe it's cause I don't take this song as seriously? Lol)

Cold wasn't as bad on a 2nd listen but maybe I was just subconsciously comparing it to the AI versions we heard this season which completely outsold. I still think this performance was a bit of a mess though lol.

Are you talking about Kaeyra? Honestly, didn't like her rendition at all. 

Okay listening to the rest of them now:

D.Smooth:

"My My My" was pretty good tbf. He is definitely a really solid singer, but I do just feel like there are so many other people within the music industry that do exactly what he does, but better? Like he's good sure but nothing special or unique. It did also make me feel a bit sleepy too lol...

"What You Won't Do For Love" meh this was okay. Just very average and samey. Nothing different or standout about it and it sounded the same tempo as the other? 🤣

Grace:

"The Night The Lights Went Out In Georgia" first bit of personality from Grace? :haha: She still found a way to make it boring though. Solid vocal but just such a meh performance.

"She's Got You" Emily Ann Roberts did it better. This song at least showed off her pleasant tone... but zzzzzzzzzzzz as always. No wonder Chance was falling asleep watching the show. 

Seriously this girl got 2 good songs and there is just. no. emotion. It's actually frustrating.

NOIVAS:

"Fly Away" oh my god the vocal on this was shocking. So bad lmao. Gives me vibes of those joke performances they show. Blake bussed him hard and NOIVAS loved every second of it. Embarrassing. Cringe. Omg. The screams ffs. Chance enjoying it sums him up as a coach 😂

"Cold" cannot believe this guy made the finale lmao. This is less bad I guess but still his voice is literally awful and painful to listen to. What an absolute noise. 

Sorelle:

"Ain't No Mountain High Enough" very karaoke. A lil bit chaotic and messy tbh. Also such an overdone song. 

"Million Reasons" quite a captivating performance. The brunette and left blonde girl are really good singers but the other blonde girl isn't very good tbh. They sounded good altogether though and had nice harmonies.

Well at least I liked both of Gina's performances 😭

Edited by Stacey.

8 hours ago, Hsamid said:

Lmfaooo

Yeah I liked Cold but I didn’t think it was that great as some people made it seem. I think it was just a welcome change of pace for him so people liked that lol

I will say you were also more lukewarm towards Gina’s ballad than I expected (or think is deserved :giggle:) I’ve been more critical of her than I feel like most people this season but I thought she killed that. I agree that she had some difficulties on the flip but that’s negligible imo.

14 hours ago, FloorWax said:

Also catching up with the performances right now and wow it really took until the finale for NOIVAS to have one performance I enjoyed LMAO (but yeah Cold was pretty good)

Unpopular opinion but cold was one of my least favorites from NOIVAS. He’s had better performances 

Thoughts on last night rest of 

D. Smooth and Sorelle performed the best out of last night. 

Grace was good albeit a bit forgettable on her second song. Her first song was nice but a tad long. 

Gina’s first song wasn’t amazing, but it was a decent cover of style. She did slay her second song though.

as I’ve said, I didn’t care for NOIVAS’ “Cold”. And his “Let It Fly” was a bit karaoke. He could’ve  had a better shot at winning (and make who I would have given my vote for decision more difficult) if he’d given us something along the lines of his performance of “A Change Is Gonna Come” or “Come Together”. 

I was deciding on whether to give my cote for D. Smooth or Sorelle, but ended up D. Smooth.  

all top 5 are talented though and would be worthy winners in their own right. 

6 hours ago, nytsch said:

Yeah I liked Cold but I didn’t think it was that great as some people made it seem. I think it was just a welcome change of pace for him so people liked that lol

I will say you were also more lukewarm towards Gina’s ballad than I expected (or think is deserved :giggle:) I’ve been more critical of her than I feel like most people this season but I thought she killed that. I agree that she had some difficulties on the flip but that’s negligible imo.

Ah fair enough. I'm always pretty nitpicky if you haven't noticed by now.. I would have let it slide if it was a one time occasion like ryley's voice Crack in the playoffs, but she did it often enough that it affected the performance. Especially since her rendition is not that vocally dynamic to begin with.

I also thought she sounded a bit shaky towards the latter half of the performance but eh. Then again I'm someone who didn't think NOIVAS upbeat was as bad as everyone was saying if you exclude the high note at the end, so maybe my ears need fixing.

• Like 1