@~Tom~ - 6/7

@totes4totes - 6/7

@#jeah - 6/7

@*Chris - 7/7

@Steven_ - 7/7

@Alex95 - 7/7

Rei

YnYA2Z5.png

Love Laura Linney and obviously Phillip Seymour was always incredible in everything he did. I will always be on board for this type of broken family dramedy. It was a good watch!

Tom

The Savages avoided my last place ranking because it's a well made film with quite a few hilarious moments such as the

depression/cholesterol exchange, dysfunctional family films are not the films for me. Especially ones with a dementia-ridden parent.

Megan

I think it's really a testament to how good these movies are that I have The Savages here at 6/7. Because I really liked this movie a lot! I thought Laura Linney and Phillip Seymour Hoffman are both as fantastic as you'd expect. The script is really funny. Tamara Jenkins's work as both director and screenwriter is excellent. I just have more of a connection to the movies above OR they just blew me away in ways that I didn't expect. In any other month I think that this would have been rated higher by me.

Andy

I got to the scene where the dad smears shit all over the walls and realized I had seen this movie before LOL. Love Laura Linney and PSH. Love the premise of this movie and how “human” it is. I feel like it was a little more low key than the movies above it, but I still enjoy it. 

Chris

Out of the crop of films in this round, it was my least favourite. While it did struggle to keep my attention at times, I liked the comedy featured in the film as well as the balance between heartwarming moments and humour (e.g.: the traveling back to the east coast, the interview for the nursing home, the argument outside the nursing home). In my opinion, Laura Linney was the star of the film, delivering a perfect performance and embodied the caregiver's role perfectly. As a whole, it's a decent film, but as I mentioned, it doesn't measure up to the others, in my opinion at least.

Steven

I didn't really enjoy The Savages. I wasn't familiar with this film before, so I went into it not knowing what it was going to be about. The movie itself was quite bleak. Not every movie needs to be a fun experience, but sometimes you just want to escape and see what a movie has to offer. This situation was just really sad and a harsh reminder that this is a reality for many adults out there. Sometimes humor would be used to bring some levity to the drama, but I didn't find any moments to be funny either. But I will give kudos to the script. The dialogue was very natural, which was elevated by Philip Seymour Hoffman and Laura Linney's strong performances. But out of these seven films, The Savages was the one I enjoyed the least.

Alex

MVP: Laura Linney

Favorite Scene: Jon & Wendy accidentally show a racist movie.

This was good! Just simply good though. Two elements of this film really stuck out to me. It was the performances and the dementia aspect. As someone whose gone through dementia in the family, everything that dealt with that really got to me. The guilt, the anger over not knowing what to do, watching someone suffer without being able to do anything. It was a very realistic depiction of what relatives of people with dementia go through. And then, of course, there were the performances. I’d expect nothing less from a cast led by Laura Linney, Philip Seymour Hoffman, and Philip Bosco. Though I’m less familiar with Bosco compared to the other actors, we’re still talking about two of the best at the top of their game. Linney specifically was heartbreaking in this film and very deserving of her Oscar nomination. Though I was taken aback every time someone called her Wendy because I thought of Ozark lol.

Unfortunately, the movie was pretty generic at times. When not dealing with the dementia, I was struggling caring about the problems of these rich theater people. Or this older man having an affair with Laura Linney. Or PSH’s Polish girlfriend. I absolutely preferred Private Life to this for a lot of reasons, but I still liked the movie and I’m glad I watched it!

• Alex95 changed the title to IDF's Film Club - A Casual Rankdown - Oscar Nominees #7 Posted

Well I was torn between several movies but it seems nobody is picking this iconic moment of gay cinema so my pick is

tyra banks GIF
coyote ugly GIF

Fun fact (that I hope is true): I learned Tom Brady cheated on Bridget Moynahan with Gisele Bunchen, so every Super Bowl that he was a part of, she’d go out and buy the jersey for the opposing team and post about rooting for them. :wub: 

Edited by Elliott
  • Like 1