Grace vs Neil

allistr

Grace vs. Neil  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which performance do you prefer?

• Grace West - Here You Come Again
    • Neil Salsich - Takin' It To The Streets

Close. Neil's performance was very enjoyable, and Grace did a great job as well. I think I preferred their battle performances over these, but these performances were solid as well.

If I have to pick one, Grace would be my pick. I like her tone more. 

Edited by Hamza Tufail

I like Neil's general vibe, energy and performer style, and he's different than many across previous seasons - all great points. Hell, just for covering this song it earns him points. That being said, I'm used to Michael McDonald and even Taylor Hicks kind of wrapping this thick soulful rasp around the lyrics; it seemed that Neil went for the general vibe rather than digging that deep, and he's got a lighter voice. Which is still cool, but it's like when people cover Rhiannon solidly and then you listen to Stevie Nicks bring it. Actually, first thing that came to mind was who gave Marc Gasol a mic. Kind of eerie.

Grace is one of the most polished country females to come on this show, especially by age. A frontrunner this season, but more than that, maybe even like top 5 all time on this show in terms of ability. As interesting as Neil is, this isn't a comparison.

Edited by jork

3 hours ago, Gustavo527 said:

It wouldn't be the first time that IDF disagree with him

Kelly also disagrees. Both Kelly and Chance picked Neil.

Chance picked Neil bc of his stage presence and energy.

Kelly said, she didn't think that was the best song to choose in this moment. 

I don't think Chance should be singled out.

• Like 1

Just now, Hamza Tufail said:

It's ok. That wasn't meant to be taken seriously:peace: 

But about what Kelly said, honestly, i can understand where she is coming from. But also, i'm kinda happy Grace went with that song. Maybe she didn't have a "moment" (and IMO she didn't need to have one), but she still did a great job with it. 

12 minutes ago, Gustavo527 said:

But about what Kelly said, honestly, i can understand where she is coming from. But also, i'm kinda happy Grace went with that song. Maybe she didn't have a "moment" (and IMO she didn't need to have one), but she still did a great job with it. 

I didn't take that seriously lol. Was just sharing an FYI.

And actually that reply wasn't really directed at you bc you didn't even said that in the first place. 

Just now, Hamza Tufail said:

I didn't take that seriously lol. Was just sharing an FYI.

And actually that reply wasn't really directed at you bc you didn't even said that in the first place. 

It's ok. I just want to make sure that people don't think i'm "salty" or anything about what Chance said, because i'm really not lol 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Gustavo527 said:

I would have chosen a different Dolly song, but honestly, she probably doesn’t care if people criticize the song choice. That’s what she wanted to sing, and that’s that. I think that’s how she rolls. I can respect that, which is why I haven’t criticized the song choice myself. 

• Like 1

I liked this matchup as a whole, because neither of their song choices are ones you would necessarily view as "good" KO songs. As in, a big song or an emotional ballad per se. Grace's song was written by an iconic country artist, but its pretty light compared to several of her other releases, and Neil went with a Doobie Brothers song that is very energetic and has a lot of space, which wouldn't really allow a lot of good vocal stuff to happen.

But both made the most out of them and moved on. I'm pretty sure both picked the songs too, because they're totally in their lanes.

Edited by Misirlou

I will say I liked Neil more at first than I do now. It was really good, just not quite what I expected from his first 2 performances. You could say it’s because of the song’s limitations, but I didn’t think of Honky Tonk Blues that much as a vocal song either and I thought he did more with it.

I still liked him more than Grace but that’s probably a matter of personal preference given that I thought neither were as good as their past 2 performances and I had liked Neil’s blind and battle more.

2 hours ago, Hamza Tufail said:

Lol I didn't include Kelly because her reaction was ordinary and didn't really have anything to be commented on - it's obvious that it was not a typical song choice strategically. Meanwhile I just found Chance's reaction funny because he was clearly having the time of his life with Neil's performance and couldn't stop smiling. Chance doesn't seem to really care much about anything country either

• Like 1