FloorWax reviews every TVUS Winner's Journey (Season 22 Posted!)

FloorWax

2 hours ago, Gustavo527 said:

I always thought Chevel was gonna be second place at best. Man, she winning was a nice surprise. I thought Kirk Jay was for sure gonna win, and i got SHOCKED when he got only third place. At that moment, i was sure Chevel was gonna be the winner. 

People can say all they want about the two seasons of 2018 but for me, having two snowflakes winning back to back was delightful :yes:.

Kirk was never gonna win with those live performances. I tried to tell y’all. :haha:

I still thought Kennedy had a shot until she didn’t get the public vote. 

Chevel led iTunes in the semi-final, and her and Kirk totally dominated the Twitter votes for the duets. She also dominated the Facebook stats and Google Trends most of the season. The reason her win caught so many by surprise is because she was never pimped. I personally think she became a frontrunner in the playoffs, and just kept building on it week after week, with her consistency, while some of the others had issues. I doubt it was close in the end. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Hamza Tufail said:

I was really mad at your first snowflake winner lol. But right now I've kinda figured why would someone prefer Brynn over Kyla. She is really good for her age.

For me the best year is probably 2015.

A lot of people vote based on potential, and Kelly did a really good job of selling that idea. I just wish she would have done a better job with some of the song choices. 

• Like 1

Chevel was hella talented, and I probably will agree that looking back at the live shows for S15, it wasn't as great as I thought it was. Perhaps because a lot of people felt generic or were just straight up bad(cough Kirk cough)

I'd give props as well to Makenzie, SandyRedd(ugh, robbery), and sometimes DeAndre. 

Chevel could power through her laryngitis and still sing flawlessly, the only thing I was shocked about was Kirk not finishing 2nd. I think Kirk would have been runner-up fodder for any other season, cause he was an easy opponent lmao.

6 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

Something Chevel didn’t mention for at least 2 years…she had laryngitis during finale week, and they cut way back on her rehearsals. She says she can tell she was sick watching back her performances. 

Ooh I forgot about that. That makes her finale set even more impressive in hindsight. You can kinda tell because she seemed more stiff than usual but the vocals had no trace of it.

And yeah, this was definitely a waffle-dominated season lol but it wasn’t due to a lack of good males in the cast, but the wrong ones making it far. At least two of Kameron, Zaxai, and Patrique deserved to make it past the Playoffs. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Misirlou said:

As for Chevel, I´d rank her higher. Very enjoyable run and extremely consistent, not an ounce of nerves. In my Top 5.

Her run could grow on me like Sawyer’s did because I do adore her tone, but she probably wouldn’t reach my Top 5.

1 hour ago, FloorWax said:

And yeah, this was definitely a waffle-dominated season lol but it wasn’t due to a lack of good males in the cast, but the wrong ones making it far. At least two of Kameron, Zaxai, and Patrique deserved to make it past the Playoffs. 

Lots of teen girls that season. The majority of them were really good. 

48 minutes ago, allistr said:

Just move on with Maelyn immediately because the season won't be so memorable without her :haha:

Nahhh I won’t make it that easy lmao 🤣

Everyone, drop some of your favorite underrated S16 performances. Obviously Maelyn is off-limits.

Edited by FloorWax
  • Haha 1

Lisa Ramey - Sex on Fire

Presley Tennant - Love On the Brain

Lisa Ramey - It Hurt So Bad

Domenic Haynes - Damn Your Eyes

Shawn Sounds - Lay Me Down

Presley Tennant - Nothing Breaks Like a Heart

Mari - Foolish

Shawn Sounds - A Song for You

1 minute ago, Hsamid said:

I would have Chevel a bit higher. She's my favourite female country and teen singer that's been on the show so far.

Josh and Chris are the ones I could see her overtaking on the list so far.

Some underrated ones I think deserve mentions:

Trey Rose - Wake Me Up

LiLi Joy - Cool

Betsy Ade - Hunger

Domenic Haynes vs Trey Rose - I Need A Dollar

Selkii vs Cecily Hennigan - Head Above Water

• Like 1

Not really sure what performances didn't get much attention here when S16 aired. But ones I rarely see talked about now are.

Matthew Johnson - ordinary people

Julian King - all time low

Lb Crew - waves

Kalvin jarvis - new rules

Edited by Hsamid

3 minutes ago, Hamza Tufail said:

S16's taped rounds were fantastic. So many great performances.

I’m saying! I remember being so excited for the season because Blinds + Battles were better than all the seasons I’d watched at that point (S13-S15). 🤧

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Hamza Tufail said:

S16's taped rounds were fantastic. So many great performances.

Agreed. There were so many I was excited for. But most notably Jej, Rizzi and Domenic. We all know ow how that turned out..

• Like 1

S16 Auditions Thoughts/Comments:

Trey Rose - Anyone else think this is underrated? He had that early 2010’s folk rock guy thing going on and he made me nostalgic for that sound. Not the most memorable but very good for what he was.
Kim Cherry - I want to say that I would’ve liked Kim more had she stuck to singing instead of trying to be some gimmicky white girl rapper, but then again I don’t think she would’ve stood out that way, since her vocals are average at best. There were some nice spots here and there but overall, mehhhh.
Rizzi Myers - Iconic audition tbh. She really gave us everything: runs, growls, tone, head voice, and even some emotion for good measure. I wish we had more pop powerhouse auditions that are at this level vocally.
LiLi Joy - She’s the kind of indie contestant with a *ehem* cool audition that you know won’t make it far, but you enjoy her limited time on the show anyway.
Matthew Johnson - The vocals here were great, but what really made this stand out was the feel-good, wholesome vibe Matthew brought to the performance. How could anyone possibly dislike this? His family was so into it too!
Domenic Haynes - This is a performance that’s always a pleasure to go back to whenever I remember it exists. Domenic’s tone is something else and he picked the perfect song to showcase it. My second favorite audition that season.
The Bundys - Considering the other folk sibling trio went on to win the show, these guys may seem like flops in comparison. But while their blend isn’t exactly as clean, this was still an enjoyable performance of a great song.
Julian King - Very cool audition that often goes underappreciated. Not many contestants go for this kind of genre so it’s always refreshing when it does pop up.
Jej Vinson - On the subject of unique auditions with interesting song choices, we have Jej doing the only version of Passionfruit I will ever accept. The control he has in his lower register is insane and his RUNS showed both taste and musicality.
LB Crew - I don't really have much to say about this one other than it was very pretty and the phrasing was superb. His tone called to mind a deeper-voiced D. Smooth.
Mari - Sorry QueenCami for more Mari slander but I honestly didn't like it that much? I wasn't the biggest fan of this when it first aired and still am not. Cool ending run though.
Mikaela Astel - I remember liking this before but nowadays... idk. This was the definition of cursive singing and my taste for that style has only waned over time.
Celia Babini - She definitely didn't sing in print letters either but I can tolerate her more than Mikaela. And also, this was her only good performance so I better give her some credit while I still can LMAO.
Cecily Hennigan - ROBBED UNDERRATED QUEEN! I was so rooting for Cecily after this performance and I couldn't believe Blake was the only one who turned for her. She sang simply but beautifully and I think she had the potential to grow had she been given the chance.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

S16 Auditions Thoughts/Comments:

Trey Rose - Anyone else think this is underrated? He had that early 2010’s folk rock guy thing going on and he made me nostalgic for that sound. Not the most memorable but very good for what he was.
Kim Cherry - I want to say that I would’ve liked Kim more had she stuck to singing instead of trying to be some gimmicky white girl rapper, but then again I don’t think she would’ve stood out that way, since her vocals are average at best. There were some nice spots here and there but overall, mehhhh.
Rizzi Myers - Iconic audition tbh. She really gave us everything: runs, growls, tone, head voice, and even some emotion for good measure. I wish we had more pop powerhouse auditions that are at this level vocally.
LiLi Joy - She’s the kind of indie contestant with a *ehem* cool audition that you know won’t make it far, but you enjoy her limited time on the show anyway.
Matthew Johnson - The vocals here were great, but what really made this stand out was the feel-good, wholesome vibe Matthew brought to the performance. How could anyone possibly dislike this? His family was so into it too!
Domenic Haynes - This is a performance that’s always a pleasure to go back to whenever I remember it exists. Domenic’s tone is something else and he picked the perfect song to showcase it. My second favorite audition that season.
The Bundys - Considering the other folk sibling trio went on to win the show, these guys may seem like flops in comparison. But while their blend isn’t exactly as clean, this was still an enjoyable performance of a great song.
Julian King - Very cool audition that often goes underappreciated. Not many contestants go for this kind of genre so it’s always refreshing when it does pop up.
Jej Vinson - On the subject of unique auditions with interesting song choices, we have Jej doing the only version of Passionfruit I will ever accept. The control he has in his lower register is insane and his RUNS showed both taste and musicality.
LB Crew - I don't really have much to say about this one other than it was very pretty and the phrasing was superb. His tone called to mind a deeper-voiced D. Smooth.
Mari - Sorry QueenCami for more Mari slander but I honestly didn't like it that much? I wasn't the biggest fan of this when it first aired and still am not. Cool ending run though.
Mikaela Astel - I remember liking this before but nowadays... idk. This was the definition of cursive singing and my taste for that style has only waned over time.
Celia Babini - She definitely didn't sing in print letters either but I can tolerate her more than Mikaela. And also, this was her only good performance so I better give her some credit while I still can LMAO.
Cecily Hennigan - ROBBED UNDERRATED QUEEN! I was so rooting for Cecily after this performance and I couldn't believe Blake was the only one who turned for her. She sang simply but beautifully and I think she had the potential to grow had she been given the chance.

Dang, I love all of these auditions. Juliana and Trey are definitely underrated.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

A lot of people vote based on potential, and Kelly did a really good job of selling that idea. I just wish she would have done a better job with some of the song choices. 

Her first 3 performances + Skyfall + Walk My Way prevented her from being a bad winner.

Nowadays, I'm fine with her winning. (Even though I still believe Kyla was in a league of her own)