AI20 male or female winner this season?

CandiceFan12

AI20 male or female winner this season?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. AI20 male or female winner this season?

• Male
    • Female

2 hours ago, mytake1 said:

Why does that even matter???

More important - can Idol have  a male winner who is Person of Color?  That hasn't happened since Ruben Studdard back in 2003.

^^^ THIS.

Give me a black, Hispanic, or ASIAN winner for god's sake! :closedeyes:

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, hayden98 said:

I believe Laine is Asian. He's got Korean ancestry on his mother's side. (I do agree with the sentiment though)

Laine is a WGWG.  He doesn't identifies himself as Asian or represents the Asian commmunity - unlike Arthur Gunn. 

Edited by mytake1

Ok. Let me be blunt then... I want someone of Japanese or Chinese decent... Not a K-Pop or J-Pop star in the making but your average American (Or foreign born!) Joe to show up on Idol.

We have had very small amounts of Latinos on this show too. With the major exceptions of David Archuleta, Allison Iraheta, and Alejandro Aranda. 

Wasn't Jessica Sanchez like the last and first Asian to make the finale? THAT WAS OVER 9 YEARS AGO! 

So in other words... Give me some FLAVOR to my Idols. I want talented singers but also a variety of faces/styles/people in general? If that makes sense. lol :haha:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mytake1 said:

Laine is a WGWG.  He doesn't identifies himself as Asian or represents the Asian commmunity - unlike Arthur Gunn. 

To be fair... He wore a suit to his Grand Ole Opry performance that featured a decorative Korean design...

So he's trying at least!

• 2 months later...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPY0ae_gpHw/ He also talked about his Korean heritage here. 

I agree about more diversity. 🙂 Also, Asia is a large continent filled with over 40 countries. Besides Japan, China, Korea and the Philippines (Southeast Asia), there are countries like Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Pakistan, Thailand and others where talented people can be found. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, indodol said:

Female hopefully. Last season was so tragic, even in a female dominated season you still get a male Top 2. Typical idol voters I guess

Exactly. If Grace couldnt win last season despite arguably being the best female vocalist in the ABC era (if not, one of the best in the entire series), having an emotional story, being attractive, and being the most pimped contestant of the season by quite a bit, idk what it will take for a woman to win at this point.

Maddie's win was actually pretty organic, but Just Sam only won because of the at-home situation. Also, I'm pretty sure Sam identifies as nonbinary now anyways so they dont count as a female winner anymore.

Edited by m1key
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, m1key said:

what it will take for a woman to win at this point.

Maddie's win was actually pretty organic, but Just Sam only won because of the at-home situation. Also, I'm pretty sure Sam identifies as nonbinary now anyways so they dont count as a female winner anymore.

The problem is the AI voting audience.  The primary demo is conservative older, white women - who are more about being Mrs Chayce Bechman, Mrs Laine Hardy - than voting for a female or a male person of color.

Maddie luck out.  She was in the 1st reboot season, which attracted curiosity viewers.   And Just Sam only won because the live voting benefited the Eastern Time Zone - and shut out anyone from the West coast.

Edited by mytake1

23 minutes ago, mytake1 said:

The problem is the AI voting audience.  The primary demo is conservative older, white women - who are more about being Mrs Chayce Bechman, Mrs Laine Hardy - than voting for a female or a male person of color.

Maddie luck out.  She was in the 1st reboot season, which attracted curiosity viewers.   And Just Sam only won because the live voting benefited the Eastern Time Zone - and shut out anyone from the West coast.

I totally get what you are saying, but I do not think the demo is as conservative as some may think. Dancing with the Stars has the same demo as Idol/also airs on ABC and the Final 2 for S30 (which ended last month) was a black man (Iman Shumpert) and a female same sex couple (JoJo Siwa). We also have Brandon Leake who won AGT S15 in 2020 as a black spoken word poet after having a whole live show performance dedicated to Black Lives Matter, and AGT has a pretty conservative demographic as well. 

So I do think that the conservative demographic is still existent and has the power to dominate the votes, but I dont think contestants are losing just because they are not a WGWG. It has to do with genuine interests in the artists. 

Edited by m1key

17 minutes ago, m1key said:

So I do think that the conservative demographic is still existent and has the power to dominate the votes, but I dont think contestants are losing just because they are not a WGWG. It has to do with genuine interests in the artists. 

I said the primary voting demo for Idol is conservative, older white women - who favors the white male contestants - Taylor, Cook, Kris, Lee, Scotty, Phillip, Caleb, Nick, Trent, Laine, Chayce.  

How else can you explain Grace and Willie, who are both better singers - losing to Chayce?  And how else can you explain that Idol has not had an African American male win since Ruben?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mytake1 said:

I said the primary voting demo for Idol is conservative, older white women - who favors the white male contestants - Taylor, Cook, Kris, Lee, Scotty, Phillip, Caleb, Nick, Trent, Laine, Chayce.  

How else can you explain Grace and Willie, who are both better singers - losing to Chayce?  And how else can you explain that Idol has not had an African American male win since Ruben?

Chayce has had the hit single though. Where is Willie's and Grace's singles?

I'm still holding out hope that Casey Bishop will be the true star of this bunch. Rock needs an artist like her! 🙂 

53 minutes ago, KelseyW said:

Chayce has had the hit single though. Where is Willie's and Grace's singles?

I'm still holding out hope that Casey Bishop will be the true star of this bunch. Rock needs an artist like her! 🙂 

Does he really have a hit single?  It has about 18M streams on Spotify in 7 mos.

Then there's Benson Boone, whose single is already at 60M streams in 2 mos.  He's technically not an alum, since he dropped out, but Idol will try to take credit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mytake1 said:

Idol has never been just a singing show though. Its been about looks, story, personality, etc. Im not going to lie and say him being an attractive straight white male didnt have a part in him winning, but I think viewers found him more rootable and down to earth than Grace who could have been viewed as a diva and Willie who was just not as interesting.

10 minutes ago, mytake1 said:

Does he really have a hit single?  It has about 18M streams on Spotify in 7 mos.

Then there's Benson Boone, whose single is already at 60M streams in 2 mos.  He's technically not an alum, since he dropped out, but Idol will try to take credit.

Good point.

Hey. At least he was on a late night show promoting it! That's more than some ABC Idol winners can say. IMO :P 

Edited by KelseyW

33 minutes ago, m1key said:

Idol has never been just a singing show though. Its been about looks, story, personality, etc. Im not going to lie and say him being an attractive straight white male didnt have a part in him winning, but I think viewers found him more rootable and down to earth than Grace who could have been viewed as a diva and Willie who was just not as interesting.

Grace isn't a diva.  She has a very likeable personality.

The problem is the voting demographic.  An older conservative white woman is likely going to favor the white male contestant.

In the early days of Idol - Kelly, Ruben, Fantasia, Carrie, Jordin were able to win because the there was a more diverse mix with viewers.  But that shrunk over the years.    Maddie lucked out with the casual viewers who tuned in for the reboot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KelseyW said:

Good point.

Hey. At least he was on a late night show promoting it! That's more than some ABC Idol winners can say. IMO :P 

Maddie, Laine, Alejandro all performed on Kimmel.🙂

Edited by mytake1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...