Films Per Year Mini-Rankdown (1993 - 3-1 Posted)

Alex95

15. American Pie

DVd1m1ZU0AAjawb.jpg

9.9/15

Watch Trailer

@*Wallace - 1/15

@*Diana - 6/15

@.Rei - 7/15

@FrogLenzen - 8/15

@Alex95 - 13/15

@totes4totes - 14/15

@Steven_ - 15/15

@*Chris - 15/15

Derek

A phenomenon. 1999 was that bitch.

Alex

I feel like American Pie happened a bit too early for me, as I was only four when it came out lol. I grew up with the Will Ferrell era of stupid comedies, so when I watched American Pie for the first time years later the humor was just Not For Me. This was definitely an important film in the revitalization of R-rated teen comedies so I appreciate American Pie for that though.

14. Office Space

p0701hzn.jpg

9.8/15

Watch Trailer

@*Diana - 5/15

@FrogLenzen - 6/15

@totes4totes - 8/15

@*Chris - 9/15

@Alex95 - 10/15

@Steven_ - 12/15

@*Wallace - 14/15

@.Rei - 14/15

Derek

I'm afraid to rewatch this after having years in the workforce. 

Alex

Me watching this before an office job: Lol they're beating the printer up with a bat!

Me watching this after an office job: Oh this is a documentary...

I think the concept of this movie is better than the execution. I love the first half where it's kinda just making fun of office monotony. I think the love story if very forced and the hacking storyline was unnecessary. I think it would've just been funnier if it was Ron Livingston slowly rising the corporate ladder the less he does. But still, Gary Cole and Stephen Root are iconic here.

13. The Mummy

mum.jpg

9.8/15

Watch Trailer

@Steven_ - 2/15

@FrogLenzen - 5/15

@Alex95 - 11/15

@.Rei - 11/15

@*Diana - 12/15

@*Wallace - 12/15

@totes4totes - 12/15

@*Chris - 13/15

Derek

Just a superb popcorn movie. With enough time since the original (1932) to still feel fresh. Ready for the Brendan Fraser renaissance. 

Alex

A perfectly adequate adventure film elevated by Brendan Fraser's undeniable movie star charisma and Rachel Weisz's scene-stealing breakthrough performance.

• Alex95 changed the title to Films Per Year Mini-Rankdown (1999 - 15-13 Posted)

LOL my first showing with my #1 showing up at 15th. :dead:  I'm clearly not cut out for this game. :wub: 🤣

Aww I totally get the polarizing rankings of American Pie. The humor of it is not everyone's cup of tea. I do think I was a little too young to watch that when I did but I always found it fun, hilarious and it just stood out to me back in that year. :haha: And yes agree with Alex it was an important movie for the adult leaning teen comedy franchise. Glad that at least one of my favorite silly comedies made it to the end. :haha: 

Fine with the other two movies showing up. I didn't really remember Office Space but it didn't really grab me (though I would probably like it if I saw it in full). I do vaguely remember The Mummy but not as well but another one that didn't grab me as much as the others.

9 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

American Pie is also pretty definitively the highest ranking last place film yet, so hopefully that makes you feel better Wally :haha:

Ahhh yeah it does. :haha: I was surprised seeing a 9.9 for last as I feel like last rankings would get something in the 12-13 range. 😮 

12. The Green Mile

the_green_mile_-_h_-_1999.jpg

9.4/15

Watch Trailer

@*Chris - 5/15

@Steven_ - 7/15

@*Diana - 9/15

@*Wallace - 9/15

@FrogLenzen - 9/15

@.Rei - 9/15

@totes4totes - 13/15

@Alex95 - 14/15

Derek

Tom Hanks movies are very hit or miss for me, not because of Tom's ability but because of the types of roles he chooses

Alex

A snooze. Nothing about this movie justifies the insane 3-hour runtime. The supernatural element combined with the death penalty statement just never really came together. RIP Michael Clarke Duncan though.

11. All About My Mother

3000.jpg?width=1200&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=4115da1e8e1d6b81ae430d5b4f9da9d2

9.4/15

Watch Trailer

@totes4totes - 1/15

@FrogLenzen - 4/15

@Alex95 - 6/15

@*Diana - 11/15

@.Rei - 12/15

@*Wallace - 13/15

@Steven_ - 14/15

@*Chris - 14/15

Derek

PEDRO ALMODOVAR

Alex

The bad? The casting of cis men and women as trans women obviously. The good? Literally everything else. Obviously Pedro Almodovar is a genius. So many different kinds of amazing women portrayed in this film. Cecilia Roth's performance is out of this world and deserved all the acclaim. Just a really powerful and moving film, highly recommend.

10. The Iron Giant

MV5BMjU0ODczMTgyMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDE0NTU3NjE@._V1_.jpg

8.3/15

Watch Trailer

@totes4totes - 2/15

@.Rei - 3/15

@Steven_ - 5/15

@Alex95 - 8/15

@FrogLenzen - 10/15

@*Wallace - 11/15

@*Chris - 12/15

@*Diana - 15/15

Alex

I'm cynical, but the end kinda ruins it for me 🙈. It was such a beautiful and emotional film, but then the emotional stakes are ruined when it's like "LOL OR MAYBE HE CAN BE REBUILT???" But I suppose it's just a kids movie and I should get over it lmao. I still like the movie a lot. Brad Bird is iconic and it's nice to see his humble beginnings. It's genuinely funny (the saying grace scene is actually hysterical) and it has so much heart.

Derek

no surprise that Pixar hired Brad Bird after he made this tear jerker

• Alex95 changed the title to Films Per Year Mini-Rankdown (1999 - 12-10 Posted)

9. The Talented Mr. Ripley

the-talented-mr-ripley-80-1200-1200-675-675-crop-000000.jpg?v=35105986e3

8.1/15

Watch Trailer

@Alex95 - 4/15

@totes4totes - 5/15

@*Chris - 6/15

@Steven_ - 8/15

@*Diana - 10/15

@*Wallace - 10/15

@.Rei - 10/15

@FrogLenzen - 12/15

Alex

Derek just got kicked out of me and Megan's private movie rankdown with this ranking. The chess scene alone makes this top 10, whew. One of the most well cast films ever for me. Matt Damon, Gwyneth Paltrow, and especially Jude Law are all doing career best work here. Cate Blanchett and Philip Seymour Hoffman are also amazing and do great work of small parts. It is sexy, is dangerous, it is exciting, it is gorgeous. Just an amazing movie.

8. Cruel Intentions

Cruel-Intentions-1999-Movie-Scene-14.jpg

8.1/15

Watch Trailer

@*Diana - 3/15

@*Wallace - 4/15

@.Rei - 4/15

@*Chris - 4/15

@Steven_ - 11/15

@totes4totes - 11/15

@FrogLenzen - 13/15

@Alex95 - 15/15

Alex

The last five minutes, Ryan Philippe's butt, and everything Sarah Michelle Gellar did in this movie almost convinced me to keep this out of last place. But this top 15 was too strong and I just hated everything else about this movie. How the hell does Ryan Philippe get a redemption storyline despite all the vile shit he did throughout the entire movie?! Why is the always amazing Reese Witherspoon completely void of charisma?! Sometimes it felt like the movie was trying to take itself seriously and other times it just got uncomfortable (the borderline incest, the racial politics with Selma Blair's boyfriend, THE RYAN PHILIPPE REDEMPTION). But at least he gets hit by a car and dies and then SMG's plans get exposed while she's snorting coke and Bitter Sweet Symphony iconically plays in the background ^_^. I really should've ranked it above Green Mile but oh well too late wouldn't have changed anything.

7. 10 Things I Hate About You

10-things-770x470.png

8.0/15

Watch Trailer

@*Diana - 1/15

@*Chris - 2/15

@Steven_ - 3/15

@*Wallace - 6/15

@Alex95 - 9/15

@.Rei - 13/15

@FrogLenzen - 15/15

@totes4totes - 15/15

Alex

Slightly generic teen romcom completely elevated by starmaking turns from Julia Stiles and the late great Heath Ledger. The dialogue is witty enough that I can ignore the problematic story points, the acting is strong enough that it can sell me on the cheesy plot points. Just a great movie that has no business being as good as it actually is. And I just cannot rave enough about Stiles and Ledger here. The poem scene?! The "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You" scene?! Cinema!!!

• Alex95 changed the title to Films Per Year Mini-Rankdown (1999 - 9-7 Posted)

6. Being John Malkovich

being-john-malkovich.jpg?w=780

7.4/15

Watch Trailer

@Alex95 - 1/15

@totes4totes - 3/15

@.Rei - 5/15

@*Diana - 7/15

@FrogLenzen - 7/15

@*Chris - 8/15

@Steven_ - 13/15

@*Wallace - 15/15

Alex

Without a doubt, one of my favorite movies of all-time. I love concepts that are so Out There and could so easily fail, but through a flawless script, great cast, and strong direction manage to become a masterpiece. Is there a concept more absurd than a puppeteer finding a portal to actor John Malkovich's head and fighting for control of it with his wife and hi coworker? John Malkovich is such a trooper for going along with this movie, Catherine Keener has never been sexier, and Cameron Diaz completely steals the movie as she does every movie she's in. I though John Cusack was Nicolas Cage the entire first time I watched it 🙈

Derek

who knew that the 90s could produce this absurd abstract concept and still be great?

5. The Matrix

matrix2.jpg?format=1000w

7.3/15

Watch Trailer

@FrogLenzen - 1/15

@.Rei - 2/15

@totes4totes - 4/15

@*Wallace - 5/15

@Steven_ - 10/15

@*Chris - 10/15

@Alex95 - 12/15

@*Diana - 14/15

Derek

one of the most influential movies in the last 50 years. You could see its impact everywhere in culture, not just film and TV... music, dance, fashion, technology, philosophy, etc. Just the opening scene was enough to change the game forever. 

Alex

An hour of exposition followed by an hour of admittedly well-done action scenes. But I stopped caring about the movie 40 minutes in so I didn't really care what happened amongst all the action oop.

4. Election

Current_29335id_139_original.jpg

6.6/15

Watch Trailer

@*Chris - 1/15

@Alex95 - 2/15

@*Diana - 4/15

@Steven_ - 6/15

@totes4totes - 6/15

@*Wallace - 8/15

@FrogLenzen - 11/15

@.Rei - 15/15

Alex

Reese Witherspoon's best performance of her career, Paul Metzler is a himbo icon, Tammy Metzler is a gay icon, Matthew Broderick is frighteningly evil but always gets his comeuppance. A smart script elevated by some of the most memorable characters on film. Tracy Flick is literally the inspiration of Rachel on Glee and Annie on Community, you cannot convince me otherwise. And as a fan of Ferris Bueller, watching Broderick become the evil teacher is a whole lot of fun! It's one of the most rewatchable movies, coming in at a solid 103 minutes, there's always new jokes I pick up on every time I watch it. Just a top-tier film!

• Alex95 changed the title to Films Per Year Mini-Rankdown (1999 - 6-4 Posted)

Good spot for The Matrix. Agreed with a lot of Derek's comments there.  Election really interested me with what I researched/watched of it. I would like to see that film as I think I would enjoy it.

I think only two people have their #1s remaining. 😮 

3. The Sixth Sense

shutterstock_editorial_1635849b.jpg

6.4/15

Watch Trailer

@FrogLenzen - 2/15

@Alex95 - 3/15

@*Wallace - 3/15

@Steven_ - 4/15

@totes4totes - 7/15

@.Rei - 8/15

@*Chris - 11/15

@*Diana - 13/15

Derek

THE IMPACT THIS MOVIE HAD. Iconic iconic iconic iconic iconic. When a movie invents a new cliche you know it's iconic. 

Alex

I was really pushing for this one to pull out the win when it came down to the final three, unfortunately some of the lower rankings came late. I watched this knowing the plot twist years and years after it came out and I was worried the movie wouldn't work for me because of that. I'm so glad I was wrong. It was the heart that sold me on the movie, not the plot twist. While I could care less about Bruce Willis' storyline, the relationship between Macaulay Culkin and Toni Collette is so impactful and moved me so much. Such deserved Oscar nominations for the both of them. It's not the big twist reveal at the end that gives me goosebumps, it's Macaulay's character finally opening up to his mother.

2. Fight Club

where-is-my-mind-1632935266.jpg

6.1/15

Watch Trailer

@.Rei - 1/15

@FrogLenzen - 3/15

@Alex95 - 5/15

@*Wallace - 7/15

@*Chris - 7/15

@*Diana - 8/15

@Steven_ - 9/15

@totes4totes - 9/15

Derek

I feel a little bit like a basic dudebro for ranking this high but it is just good.

Alex

I know I'm basic, but I can be such a David Fincher fanboy. I was #shook the first time I watched it, and then further blown away the second time I watched it knowing the plot and getting to pick on all the clever directorial decisions and editing tricks. Literally the definitive movie of "Men would rather do x than go to therapy". Insert "start a cult" where x is. Also Edward Norton hallucinating a slutty and shirtless Brad Pitt? I see you bisexual king!

1. Toy Story 2

woody_jessie_and_bullseye_in_toy_story_2_1999.jpg?fit=1280,720

5.6/15

Watch Trailer

@Steven_ - 1/15

@*Diana - 2/15

@*Wallace - 2/15

@*Chris - 3/15

@.Rei - 6/15

@Alex95 - 7/15

@totes4totes - 10/15

@FrogLenzen - 14/15

Alex

A completely unsurprising and basic winner, but I can't say it's undeserving. Toy Story 2 kinda has the worst reception of the original trilogy, but I don't think that's fair. The comedy remains topnotch between the crossing the road scene, everything about the factory Buzz, Al is a fun secondary villain, etc. It also has just as much heart as the first and third ones. You're heartless if you don't get emotional at the "When She Loved Me" sequence. There's other winners I prefer, but I still don't hate this win.

Derek

one of the best sequels ever made. And I'm giving it my Pixar handicap ranking

• Alex95 changed the title to Films Per Year Mini-Rankdown (1999 - 3-1 Posted)

I love how Haley Joel Osment has turned into Macaulay Culkin all of a sudden in Alex's write-up for The Sixth Sense. :wub::giggle: Aww I was hoping for The Sixth Sense to come in 2nd but hey, 3rd is still great for this!

LMAO both Derek and Alex calling themselves basic regarding Fight Club. :haha: Well done to this movie coming in 2nd with no rankings below 10th. :yes:

Very pleased with Toy Story 2 winning. Definitely a great movie and loved it way back when it was out! Haven't watched it in forever but I'm sure it still holds up.

14 minutes ago, FrogLenzen said:

also the Haley Joel Osment erasure is sending me

This had me cracking up. :dead: 

13 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

Oop I knew it was one of those white guys that hasn't done anything in the past 10 years. Anyways I'm keeping it in there.

as-you-should-marc-maron.gif

:dead: at the first part.