'90s TV Shows Rankdown (Winner Announced on Page 132)

Steven_

8. ER

c2493d31-6185-447b-a9a7-de1c891e8bc6?base_image_bucket_name=image_manager&base_image=7f4b684c-04f4-4dac-8a26-17ed3d24e3f6&region=US&format=jpeg&size=952x536

82dd8d63c8d9167bff71dbbd0f5efb5a311fedd8.gifv

DEREK: 1

GIGI: 4

DIANA: 8

PUBLIC: 9

JC: 15

WALLACE: 18

DEREK

I only have DVD box sets for three TV shows, and ER is one of them. ER is my favorite TV drama ever. I don't even know where to begin with this write-up so I'm just going to start rambling and see where it goes. Michael Crichton created Jurassic Park and ER and therefore he's my favorite person to ever exist.

First of all, every actor in the history of the world has a guest appearance on ER. Zac Efron's second acting gig was ER lol. Seriously, check out this article:

https://www.bustle.com/p/40-actors-who-guest-starred-on-er-before-their-big-breaks-7647607

I should just list the actors in the article here because no one will click the link and I promise it is MIND-BLOWING but I won't. And that's not even counting every random character or superstars like Sally Field with bigger guest roles. But beyond all the guest appearances, ER also had a superstar main cast. Like Angela Bassett and John Stamos randomly were main characters in the later seasons. This show launched the career of George f*cking Clooney. That has to be emphasized.

Grey's Anatomy is now the longest running medical drama but ER is in second place. Also, ER basically invented Grey's Anatomy lol. ER got the 1996 Best Drama Emmy Award, and it has been nominated for 124 Emmy Awards, which was the record for most nominations for a while until I think Game of Thrones and SNL took over or something, I don't know exactly. Anyway, Julianna Margulies, Sally Field, and Ray Liotta all won Emmy Awards for acting on the show.

The show ran for 15 seasons from 1994 to 2009. I will personally fight you if you try to argue that this isn't a 90s show. I enjoyed all the seasons of course, but I am 100% able to admit that the quality went down in the later seasons. But I always argue that Seasons 1 through 8 can stand alone as its own series. The penultimate episode of Season 8 is the true Series Finale of ER, and after that it becomes ER2 in my opinion. I love ER2 but Seasons 1-8 is one of the best drama series ever made. Just in case people don't remember how season 8 ends, it's when Anthony Edwards's character leaves the show.

I highly encourage anyone to watch seasons 1-8. I don't think it has gotten any worse with age. I also feel like it is really authentic with how everything is portrayed. ER pretty much invented the Steadicam use in TV. The long takes, following characters walking through the building... it took so much talent and skill from the actors and the crew. Here's another article that recognizes how influential and revolutionary the show was, and how the quality still holds up today:

https://www.vulture.com/2019/09/er-filmmaking-style-legacy.html

The show is just good. I can talk about specific episodes all day but I will just give a shout-out to a few. "Love's Labor Lost," an Emmy-Award winning episode from Season 1. They did a LIVE EPISODE in Season 4. The back-to-back episodes of "Be Still My Heart" and "All in the Family" in Season 6 absolutely wrecked me and changed me as a person. That was probably the moment for me when ER cemented itself as part of my soul forever.

I don't expect this to win but I truly hope that there are some others in this game that know this show and also appreciate it. If you aren't familiar, I reiterate: please watch seasons 1-8. I promise that you won't regret it. 

GIGI

I remember watching ER religiously every week on Thursday at 10:00 PM on NBC before I went to bed for school (I was still in high school, 10th or 11th grade, I think...) I had the biggest crush on Noah Wyle. Obviously, ER is a medical drama television series.  It ran for 15 seasons, which is a whopping 331 episodes total! I prefer the earlier seasons when the original cast was present.  Some of the actors/actresses from the show are Anthony Edwards (Dr. Mark Greene), George Clooney (Dr. Doug Ross), Sherry Stringfield (Dr. Susan Lewis), Noah Wyle (Dr. John Carter), Julianna Margulies (Dr. Carol Hathaway), and Eriq La Salle (Dr. Peter Benton).  It won 23 Primetime Emmy Awards, including the 1996 Outstanding Drama Series award, and received 124 Emmy nominations. ER won 116 awards in total (wow!), including the Peabody Award, while the cast earned four Screen Actors Guild Awards for Outstanding Ensemble Performance in a Drama Series.

DIANA

Actually, this is my top 10 for Derek only because he was nice to my favorites this game. No deal, and he doesn’t even know I am mentioning it. I don’t really love ER which is surprising for my type of show you would think I would love it but I think it was just at my age and anytime I try to watch it, it just does not catch my attention enough to watch all of it but good for it’s fans for getting it this far. I need 100 words so I will add that it’s a good show just not something I am support attached or would watch myself.

JC

I did not realize this was that old of a show. I have not really watched this much, so it is pretty low in my ranking, but indifferent feelings.

WALLACE

I was struggling between my #19 and #18 and feel those shows are a toss up for me. I gave ER the higher ranking, as I feel the times I would watch and follow this show, I was really into it? It aired on NBC for 15 seasons but of course I didn't watch all of those seasons. :lmao: I don't think ER was a show I watched on a consistent basis, but it was a show I would watch episodes of here and there and really enjoy. It's a great critically acclaimed show (or at least I think so), but not a personal favorite of mine.

• Steven_ changed the title to '90s TV Shows Rankdown (#8 Posted)
3 hours ago, 1234567890 said:

willow smith GIF by Red Table Talk

For sh*ts and giggles could you post what the results would have been if my ranking was counted? And my sister’s as well, I guess. :haha:

I did the math. No spoilers if the winner would've been different or not, but this would've been the Bottom 10:

11. GROWING PAINS

12. ER

13. DAWSON'S CREEK

14. SABRINA THE TEENAGE WITCH

15. THE POWERPUFF GIRLS

16. ROSEANNE

17. LIVING SINGLE

18. WILL & GRACE

19. DARIA

20. SEINFELD

1 hour ago, 1234567890 said:

I have MY reasons. 🙂

Boo, you knew I didn’t like Golden Girls, also if you had messaged me about it I would have put it a little higher for you but I am not a fan obvs so it should not have been surprising but obvs love you, I understand you’re annoyed now though, let’s hope our other fave wins ❤️ 

I guess this is better than just completely ignoring Wally :giggle:

18 minutes ago, Steven_ said:

I did the math. No spoilers if the winner would've been different or not, but this would've been the Bottom 10:

11. GROWING PAINS

12. ER

13. DAWSON'S CREEK

15. THE POWERPUFF GIRLS

16. ROSEANNE

17. LIVING SINGLE

18. WILL & GRACE

19. DARIA

20. SEINFELD

Well, at least ER is the undisputed top drama 

19 minutes ago, Steven_ said:

11. GROWING PAINS

12. ER

13. DAWSON'S CREEK

15. THE POWERPUFF GIRLS

16. ROSEANNE

17. LIVING SINGLE

18. WILL & GRACE

19. DARIA

20. SEINFELD

Hmm that means that the sisters bussed WAG

sassy d&d GIF by Hyper RPG
@1234567890 @goofycilla90

1 hour ago, FrogLenzen said:

Not surprising to see Wallace put ER in the bottom 3! I don't think he likes any shows longer than 30 minutes

LOL Very funny. 🙄 [/sarcasm]

Don't comment on things about me that aren't true. I like PLENTY of hour long shows. And I genuinely like all of my Top 19 shows. Just the lower ranked ones aren't my favorites.

34 minutes ago, Steven_ said:

11. GROWING PAINS

12. ER

13. DAWSON'S CREEK

15. THE POWERPUFF GIRLS

16. ROSEANNE

17. LIVING SINGLE

18. WILL & GRACE

19. DARIA

20. SEINFELD

The Golden Girls 😭 

33 minutes ago, Steven_ said:

11. GROWING PAINS

12. ER

13. DAWSON'S CREEK

15. THE POWERPUFF GIRLS

16. ROSEANNE

17. LIVING SINGLE

18. WILL & GRACE

19. DARIA

20. SEINFELD

I was right that shows like The Golden Girls, Sister Sister, Roseanne, Growing Pains would have benefitted from their votes.

Thanks for posting these.

2 minutes ago, *Wallace said:

Don't comment on things about me that aren't true.

Im just making a joke, I feel like it’s allowed when my #1 shows up. Also sometimes my jokes aren’t funny, so that’s understandable. I’m sorry that my comments have contributed in any way to making this rankdown unenjoyable for you. Dee and Megan aren’t here so maybe I’ve been filling the drama void (another joke!) 

I’ll calm down and let’s just sit back and find out our winner, for better or for worse.