Has Idol Ever Been This Stacked Since ABC Switch (Or at least since Maddie's wins)

xfactor22

I mean, since Maddie Pope's win I have been more focused on The Voice instead of Idol on the seasons of the voice that idol had on at the same time. I mean I've seen some performances and remember watching Laine's season and he was a good winner and while I think I remember Just Sam being good and the talent bering good last season of Idol, I think this is the first season (at least since maddie's) on abc idol that i've focused more on idol than the voice. I mean the top 4 is very talented. I think Grace is in a league of her own (at least out of the top 4)  as she has her voice, stage presence, and confidence all in 1 package, but the other 3 are pretty great too. Grace is great, but since it is a talented season, and I haven't really had a favorite winner besides Maddie (and possibly Laine if I don't remember who else was in that season and possibly Just Sam,who may haven't been my top top fav,  but was very good iirc, though I dont remember much from season 18), so I am not sure if she will win, if only because of my luck. She, like everyone else in this top 4, needs to remember song choice and practice is key.  Willie's voice is out of this world, but I need either another "Stand Up" moment or him to do  a more upbeat song so we can see if his stage presence that he has on slow and mid-tempo/whatever you call "Stand Up" songs can translate into uptempo songs. Casey's voice is great, but I am not as sold on her as IDF is. I can detect some hints of youngness in her  voice, but maybe it's just because I am not the biggest fan of young singers, and her style of singing isn't my cup of tea. Anyways, she REALLY needs to pick song choices that shows her voice maturely (or at least the kind of songs that the idol demographic eats up and maybe hasnt been done often) 

Chayce Beckham has a cool voice. Now that Caleb is gone, my money is on him to win, as we've seen several past winners similar to his style. I like him well enough, but I do want to see him change it up somewhat. Like Willie, maybe try a big uptempo song or something. I think he will do great on a blues song.  Also, besides the top 4, the whole top 10+ and even much of the top 16/24/showstoppers(which i watched on youtube) seem great. I liked Deshawn's style, but he did do bad on his top 10 song, so that explains his leave. Alyssa and Cassandra were great, but I guess the audience got bored with their ballads. I liked Alana well enough, but compared to other pop artists like Grace, I get why she got eliminated. Anilee was awesome too. I wish Mary Jo Young lasted longer. And when it came to the round before the top 24, they may have not been my favorite, but imo, Murphy definitely deserved top 24 at least. I also was interested in hearing more from Funke. Alex Miller sounded good too. 

I think this season has had one of the best Live Show Casts since Season 11. That being said, the season itself doesnt come close to Season 11 at all because of the Comeback Twist, Caleb/Benson/Wyatt/Hannah drama, and the meh format. Ive even noticed a parallel between this seasons Top 4 and S11's Top 4 (Chayce - Phillip Phillips, Grace - Jessica Sanchez, Willie - Joshua Ledet, Casey - Hollie Cavanagh). 

37 minutes ago, kamil24 said:

No it hasn't. Maddie's season wasn't that strong anyways. I'd say it's the strongest final 4 since Candice's season.

i mean if its the strongest final 4 since candace's season, then wouldnt it defintely also been the strongest final 4 sinceit was o. abc?

also the maddie thing was if people thought maddie's season was strong. if you do 't think maddies season was strong you could think that the cvurrent season was the strongest still since abc.  i think the reason i remember maddie's season to be strong is likely cause of maddie lol. 

also i wasnt exactly saying top 4 in particular but the season in general (which chan include the top 4)

41 minutes ago, m1key said:

I think this season has had one of the best Live Show Casts since Season 11. That being said, the season itself doesnt come close to Season 11 at all because of the Comeback Twist, Caleb/Benson/Wyatt/Hannah drama, and the meh format. Ive even noticed a parallel between this seasons Top 4 and S11's Top 4 (Chayce - Phillip Phillips, Grace - Jessica Sanchez, Willie - Joshua Ledet, Casey - Hollie Cavanagh). 

I mean i care more about the contestants than the format. i wish the format was better, but i still think its a good season. also, unlike season 11, i think most of the top 10 are strong.  For the drama, caleb got sent home, and i think it was the right decision, so i dont think thats a bad thing. no clue who bensen is. wyatt just dropped out for personal reasons. not exactly "drama." and need to know more about hannah drama.  

I don't think those comparisons are the best. The Phillip-chayce comparison is valid. IMO, Grace is much more fun and entertaining to listen to and watch then Jessica and their genres are different. I like Willie more than Joshua. Also, I like Hollie more than Casey and their genres are different.

35 minutes ago, xfactor22 said:

i mean if its the strongest final 4 since candace's season, then wouldnt it defintely also been the strongest final 4 sinceit was o. abc?

also the maddie thing was if people thought maddie's season was strong. if you do 't think maddies season was strong you could think that the cvurrent season was the strongest still since abc.  i think the reason i remember maddie's season to be strong is likely cause of maddie lol. 

also i wasnt exactly saying top 4 in particular but the season in general (which chan include the top 4)

No, I did agree that it was the strongest final 4 since ABC. The thread asked "Has Idol ever been this stacked since ABC switch" and I answered "No it hasn't" because I think it's the strongest final 4 from all the ABC seasons.

3 hours ago, m1key said:

Agree, 100%. I was thinking about this yesterday. I thought that either Joshua or Jessica would leave at top 4 because both were powerful belters, but both made it through anyway. The only difference is Casey appears to be a lot stronger than Hollie as a contestant.

This is how it will end: 

1. Chayce has the best chance of winning, based purely on Idol history. You can make a case about Maddie and Just Sam but each year has been slowly going back to how it was and this year will finally hit that mark.

2. Grace has a great voice, after Alyssa left, she got the big voice slot to herself, which is very Idol on-brand.  But I find her voice doesn't really go up at a certain point, it just gets loud, which, unpopular opinion coming... I find somewhat grating to listen to. She personally wins me on her more restrained performance like Fix You.

3. Willie to me will benefit from a win the most, he's the one who needs to win to turn this into a real career. Fantastic voice. I am not sure what type of record he could make, possibly R&B soul along the lines of Luther Vandross.

4. Casey is the most naturally talented in the bunch, the textures of her voice to be the most versatile, can sing any genre, from alternative rock to jazz, from Soundgarden to Sarah Vaughan. But she is extremely young and this opinion got me in hot waters with her stans: she's just following what producers tell her to do, she don't know herself yet.

Edited by jjeem

2 hours ago, jjeem said:

4. Casey is the most naturally talented in the bunch, the textures of her voice to be the most versatile, can sing any genre, from alternative rock to jazz, from Soundgarden to Sarah Vaughan. But she is extremely young and this opinion got me in hot waters with her stans: she's just following what producers tell her to do, she don't know herself yet.

thank you for this!! i agree completely and always get in heat argument with her fans about it. 

also i think people under estimate willie's fan base. it is a slam dunk for him whoever he goes with in the finals he wins. and i think he will benefit the most from caleb elimination. 

15 hours ago, Weedy_Speedy said:

The talent level this season was pretty strong, kind of suffers from season 11 syndrome where the boot order is sorta sh*tty but oh well. All the drama was a throwback to Idol's classic days too lol.

preach GIF by Shalita Grant

15 hours ago, Weedy_Speedy said:

The talent level this season was pretty strong, kind of suffers from season 11 syndrome where the boot order is sorta sh*tty but oh well. All the drama was a throwback to Idol's classic days too lol.

Corey Clark, Frenchie Davis, Mario Vasquez, Jermaine Jones teas. 🍵 Sorry to any disqualified contestant I may have forgotten. :dead:

On 5/15/2021 at 6:15 PM, kamil24 said:

No, I did agree that it was the strongest final 4 since ABC. The thread asked "Has Idol ever been this stacked since ABC switch" and I answered "No it hasn't" because I think it's the strongest final 4 from all the ABC seasons.

oh i misread

On 5/15/2021 at 7:05 PM, Weedy_Speedy said:

I mean, I liked the majority of the top 12 (and even quite a few top 24), so I don't know if I'd consider any boot order particularly "shitty", though I do wish Hunter and Graham lasted longer.